Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jade1mac
Msg: 51
Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
processed Krap
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 52
Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?
Posted: 4/19/2008 10:38:49 PM
I had never heard of kraft dinner being a Canadian thing until now. But I have noticed that Americans call it mac n cheese whereas most Canadians call it Kraft Dinner, regardless of the brand.

I've never liked home made mac n cheese, but I loved KD as a kid. Then for some reason I got sick of it and couldn't eat it for several years. Recently I've started having cravings for it every so often. I always used to have it with hot dog weiners. (You actually chop up the cooked weiners and put them in the cooked KD).
 Tessav
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/20/2008 9:38:17 PM
I also didn't know that we Canadians had a cultural identity connected to Kraft Dinner. Weird.

My kids love it. It's quick, cheap, and easy for a single mom who works far too much. I've never added onion or pepper. I do sometimes open a can of ham or tuna and add that.

Love Miracle Whip. My family makes a fruit salad that is just apples, bananas, and Miracle Whip. When I've given friends the recipe I said mayonnaise and they reported back that it was nasty with mayonnaise and the MW is required.

Timmy food is nothing special. I like a French Vanilla from the gas station as much as from Tim Hortons. Its simply a cultural thing. And bikers ALWAYS stop at Tim's for coffee. Sometimes its just a ride from Timmy's to Timmy's, and in my city there is one in particular that cars can't even get into because the lot is always full of bikes and bikers.
 Celticlass2
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/22/2008 11:15:39 PM
I love it...Kraft dinner as a Canadian cultural icon. When each of my kids moved out into their own apartments... I gave them a case of Kraft dinner and a bottle of ketchup...in case times got tough for them in University. I guess that means we're truly Canadian...(didn't give them a case of that though).
 Drkeyedbeauty
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 2:57:15 AM
So only the poor and lazy people eat Kraft mac and cheese, mommy2? That's an ignorant statement if i've ever heard one. I've eaten the stuff since I was a kid which was long before nutritional food, or lack of, was so talked about or practiced daily. My mom is an awesome cook and can even make liver and onions palatable. She made dinner every night and we all sat down to eat together. We had fried food, potatoes etc and her only concern was WHAT to make her family, not HOW it's cooked. Baking food instead of frying it wasn't as big a deal then as it is now. Of course now we do our best to stay away from fried and not so many potatos, etc. She made her meals as healthy as she knew for the times which was in the 70's and 80's. We have so much info on how to eat healthier now and access to so many yummy healthy recipes, and I think that's why people have so many issues concering powder cheese and macaroni. lol It was just a side dish for us kids and not lazy or poor mans food.
 Charon52
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:13:33 AM
I always used to have it with hot dog wieners.
I didn't think anyone else did this. Cut the wieners into about 1/4" discs and toss into the boiling water with the pasta. Drain, add the orange-cheese-powder, milk and butter, a little extra cheese (kraft grated parmesan) and serve. Works well with smoked or polish sausage too.

Other variations? I add a tin of drained tuna and a small handful of corn flakes.

It's still an inexpensive filling meal that can be tarted up to go with fine china and crystal goblets or left alone and served off a trencher.

[edit] yes, it's processed krap in a box. It's not "real" cheese, it has too much salt, too many carbs, the box tastes better than the noodles in it, but at $10 for a case of 15, that will easily work for 25-30 meals; THAT makes it good for the budget and the comfort factor makes it good for the soul. I don't know anyone suggesting that it's eaten every day... but for a student on a tight budget, alternate with ramen, some wieners, tins of tuna, a few bags of frozen veggies, it WILL keep you decently fed until the next holiday and some of Dad's home cooking.
 Celticlass2
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:38:20 AM
It's actually Mommy3 and if you want to know more about living on a low budget, raising kids, working and going to school (and still having a sense of humor) and being a proud CANADIAN, I could keep you going for a bit. Not sure where you got the "ignorant" and the "poor and lazy" from? Tell me more. I hope no-one peed in your Kraft dinner today.
 SillyGirl1
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:24:56 AM
I feed it to my dogs ...sometimes....easy cheesy treatLMAO
 kross41
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/23/2008 1:16:59 PM
I am sorry but I cannot fathom the idea of children or adults eating something that is 98% chemical and 1.5% toxic and 0.5% natural. I am Canadian and resent the fact that we eat more KD than any other country in the world.

Now where the **** did I put my KD pot...
 Sporty Classic
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/23/2008 1:24:33 PM
We called it Captain Hindgrinder
 That is mommy2
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 2:19:26 PM
Celtic:

I said, and I stand by my words

I dont consider kraft dinner canadian, rather poor and lazy man/woman's food.

Sorry but anyone who cant take the 30 minutes to make real cheese sauce and cook pasta is lazy. As a society we tend to rely too much on processed crap.
Remember the saying Garbage in Garbage out?
well this holds true with the meals we eat and serve our familys.

It isnt that hard to make real cheese sauce.
Nor is it hard to use quality foods when feeding ourselves and children.
Dont tell me about budgets.... because I can show you it can be done on a very tight budget......... people just dont want to do it.

Dinner is being served at 6 in my house tonight
Menu:
steamed asparagus
Pork soulvaki
Greek salad with feta......

Guess what my 2 almost 3 yr old will love it.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
cost: under 10.00 cdn
servings made 4
Cost per serving: 2.00-2.50
 Drkeyedbeauty
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 2:47:05 PM
celticlass2, I was responding to a post from someone who has mommy2 in her name. If you think i was directing it towards you, even tho I don't see a mommy3, i'm sorry for the mix up.
 SCUBARON
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:29:59 PM
Ok..Old thread and I don't normally do the forums here but noticed this on an unrelated Google Search..
So my 2 cents worth.....
I truely believe it's because of the advertising campaigns done in the early days and mostly during NHL hockey and Hockey Night in Canada on the CBC which was sponsored by Kraft. Lots of ad's in the 60's for sure during HN in Canada. They would also do a quick recipe in a commercial break at some point.

Canadians are the largest consumers of KD not unlike the Hawaiians and Spam...
 jojoaus
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:19:35 AM
Being in aus I have often wondered exactly what a Kraft Dinner was. Now I'm thinking its Mac and Cheese with a powdered sauce? Orange in colour?? When my kid was little, she got a Kraft Mac/cheese thing as a treat but the sauce was in a mini-tin. She loved it after a day when mum and dad had worked 15 hours in our business. But after age 6 she refused it.... would only eat my home made one. But thats cuz my cheese sauce rocks... lol (I use real butter, lots of sharp cheddar, a hefty amount of Parmesan AND some whole grain mustard). Instant food has a place for certain, long as its not the only source of nutrition.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 1:44:09 AM
Most, if not all, instant food, has no nutritional value whatsoever...
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 10:09:49 PM
Speakin of Cheezy things.....what the hell is Cheez Whiz?...no...really...it can stay in that damn jar for like years and still hold its colour, shape and smell...holy moly! ....and it has that creepy orange colour like the cheese in KD too!

made by Kraft also.

source: Wiki
Cheez Whiz is a thick processed cheese sauce or spread sold by Kraft Foods. It was developed by a team led by food scientist Edwin Traisman (1915–2007) and was first marketed in 1953.[1]

The bright yellow, viscous paste usually comes in a glass jar, and is used as a topping for corn chips, hot dogs, cheesesteaks, celery, and other foods. It is marketed in the United States, Canada, Venezuela, and the Philippines.

Cheez Whiz is one of a number of "processed cheese foods", a category including some types of individually-wrapped cheese slices. These products contain regular cheese that has been reprocessed along with additional ingredients such as emulsifiers and stabilizing agents, such as xanthan gum or carrageenan.

SmilingSalmon
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 10:34:33 AM
Okay, I have to weigh in here.
I have given this information before and I am sure some people are so surprised that they ignore it, but I will give some credible back-up.

Also, I am very much a person that not only stands up for healthy food as a general rule, I also get the scientific facts behind food before I go screaming something is bad. I have 3 years of chemistry, 2 years of anatomy and pysiology, 2 years of histology, 1 year of microbiology, 3 years of natural science, plus many other supporting sciences. I have done many papers on foods we label as bad and or good and the effects on a molecular and cellular level, so I do have a lot of research experience behind the impetus of this post.

First let me say that you can go to thousands of websites with opinion about how BAD for you and CHEMICAL laden certain foods are. In fact, many are bad for you, but often it is a lot more complicated than the average person believes and goes off spouting as a pan judgement.

In my research I found certain facts. It should also be known that I can only comment on Kraft Foods Products, not other companies, so please do not necessarily hold this information true for all companies with similar products.

Kraft Velveeta, Cheez Whiz and Powdered Cheese Products are 100% safe and nutritionally valuable products. In fact anything that Kraft makes labelled
Pasteurized process cheese food
Pasteurized process cheese spread
Pasteurized process cheese product
this incluces the powdered cheese in all Kraft Dinners.
However, anything labelled imitation cheese, is very bad for you and should not be consumed. This includes anything imitation by Kraft. They are as the urban legend goes, not far from plastic, but eating actual plastic would be healthier than those. One of the most noteable I can site and would like to lobby to be removed from shelves is Off-Brand Cream Cheese. Stick with Philly Brand and you are okay. The $0.98 you save is not worth your life.

Here is a blog post from a medical professional who has done her homework. She is not a Kraft representative, nor is she paid by Kraft, but just as I did, she has done her research and she has no problems giving due respect where respect is due and I feel the same. I found for myself the same conclusions she has come to, so I can back up her statements as correct.
http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/06/processed-foods-arent-real-food.html

In her blog at this page you will get a very concise everyday language and explanation of chemical names and exactly what is good as far as choosing food and dispelling myths about everyday cooking.

I admit, that often because of my quest for natural foods I will sometimes turn up my nose at processed products and for most I am right to do so, but for Kraft Processed Cheese products I know for a fact that I would be wrong. I have done the homework to prove it.

Also, I think it is worthy to mention that one paper and research project I did was on transfats. There are transfats that are extrememly good for us and also not found in the food world in great number and these would be called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). I would give you specific isomers, but more are being found to be "good" everyday and that specific info is not important to the average person. Basically, these CLA isomers break down fat, reduce cholesterol, work to prevent all of the autoimmune disorders, prevent and help in heart disease, Alzheimers and many others.

Where can you get these CLA's? Here is the fun part.... Beef, Sheep, Dairy. One of the highest sources of good CLA'a on the market...hold onto your seats.....Cheese Whiz. Though, you can get good quantities in all Beef products, Sheep products (lamb, mutton, milk and cheese from...), Dairy products...whether organic or not. Of course, I recommend organic. Fats are essential to health and vitamin absorption. These fats do more. So, at the end of my paper on these transfats I advocated that my professor go out and have a hamburger with Cheese Whiz, Velveeta, or Kraft American cheese product, because she was always beating herself up for loving cheeseburgers. This woman has an MD, 2 PhD's and a couple of other science degrees and is a DVM. She is a science genius and she held off my grade until she did her own research and then gave me an A! I guess in all of my work, that made me the proudest coming from her.

Also, the Cheese Whiz bottle now says 0 transfats, but that is because with new government regulations requiring transfats to be lablled it specifies that only bad transfats need to be labelled and only if they occur as more than .5 grams per serving. Therefore, if you eat 3 servings worth and most people do, you would get 1.5 grams of bad transfats if they exist in a product. Products like Cheese Whiz has good trandfats, but are not required to list them because people will see transfats and think BAD.

So, yes, eat well, but be informed and don't be so fast to jump to conclusions. It is easy to do with all of the false rumors that people spout like facts. Most of all, do not assume. If you really care about your health and do not want to do the work of a science degree to find the facts, your best bet is to develop and follow your intuition. Your own intuition and body will tell you the truth.

~As our own sweet poster Mona likes to say...
Blessings for Good Health

SS
 _countrygirl
Msg: 68
Posted: 1/30/2010 4:21:48 PM
Well thank goodness you cleared that up SS.I really love the stuff and was getting worried. I have been eating it for years when too tired to make dinner.

Now off to boil some water...........
 polaroid2
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:37:38 AM
I am Canadian and have never tried KD. By the way I used to work for the company (Kraft)
 TheReason_
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 6:50:57 PM
Used to love it. Made it with hot dogs, or ketchup, or BBQ sauce. If I had it plain, I would put in a heaping tablespoonful of cheez whiz, and too much butter.

I don't eat it anymore. One day I read the box 4 servings, each serving = 250 calories. So, if you eat the whole box (and I would) that's 1000 calories, hell, a quarter pounder without cheese is only 400ish calories.

I miss it, but it's not worth it to me anymore.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/23/2010 3:45:26 PM

So, yes, eat well, but be informed and don't be so fast to jump to conclusions. It is easy to do with all of the false rumors that people spout like facts. Most of all, do not assume. If you really care about your health and do not want to do the work of a science degree to find the facts, your best bet is to develop and follow your intuition. Your own intuition and body will tell you the truth.~As our own sweet poster Mona likes to say...
Blessings for Good Health

mercy,mercy! coho lips! lol

I guess I'll just stick with spam[the Hawaiian favorite] for good health,and wash it all down with a cold Molson's, thanks for the update!....
 TheReason_
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2010 7:46:16 PM
Is there such a thing as good transfats? I know monounsaturated fats are good for you (olive oil, avocados etc) transfats are un-natural, they heat oil and infuse hydrogen, creating hydrogenated vegatable oil, for instance. Since it's un-natural, our body has a hell of a time trying to process it.

I'll take a pass on the cheez whiz (as you state, notice it's not called Cheese Whiz) I prefer natural "real" cheese.

Lowfat mozzerella
cheddar
goat cheese
 daynadaze
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2010 6:48:52 PM
I had three kids, we were poor, you could buy a box of Kraft M&C, a package of hot dogs and a box of Jiffy cornbread mix for a $1.00, so we had that meal often, at least once a week. The kids loved it, it was their favorite food night. I don't think any of them eat it anymore, but I still like the cornbread/M&C/hot dog meal, but it makes way too much and the one thing about Kraft M&C is that it does not taste good reheated, so I make it about once a year now. I'm not a food snob, nor do I jump on the latest wagon of what's good and what's going to kill you, I just eat what tastes good to me. I see no reason to bash a product or it's company, if I don't like something, I don't buy it, seems much more simple than bashing it.
 high_flight
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2011 8:36:18 PM
Tim Horton's is NOT CRAP. For me, when I get to a HORTON's , it is ALWAYS going to be one or perhaps two (no more) plain donuts. PERIOD!!!! Nothing better than their coffee and the donut or two. Then where I live, I try to sit with the men , most of whom are from Newfoundland and they have the BEST stories and their LAUGHTER swells me with pride at being a Canadian. Honest to Goodness, I am telling the truth!!

This particular TIM's sells,,,,,,or in the recent past, it did..........the most donuts of any Tim Horton's in N. America. TRUE!! That be in Yellowknife, NT.

Nothing to do with KRAFT DINNER I know but there was a reference here re: doughnuts I think OR perhaps I just got caught up in what I was reading. It is late as I compose this so please forgive me.
 Rosemary24
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2011 7:44:51 PM
I've never thought of Mac and Cheese in the box as being attributed to one country or another. Generational, I know that a lot of American kids growing up during the 1980's were considered 'latch key kids' and made Kraft Dinner for themselves, since nobody was at home to make something for them, and it was quick/easy.

Still, how hard is it to make your own without resorting to the Day-Glo orange packet? AND you can add other things besides fake cheese to it, to make it more healthy and palatable.

Gotta have good, hot coffee on a freezing winter very early morning, or you can't get through the day, so if nothing else, Tim Horton's provides that.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Kraft dinner and Canadian culture?