Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > What does the term "Liberal Media" mean to you      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 26
What does the term Liberal Media mean to youPage 2 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
May I call you Charlie? It's important to read prior to rendering any uninformed decision, the reports are not from Fox News, nor in many cases are defectors? nice try! But countless reports from journalist and reporters all around the world who have uncovered facts! Their non Bias...lol but think as you will it's your right to inform your self of what makes you feel good and a reason to berate those who are keeping us safe here at home!

I was responding to the link you posted. There wasn't "countless" reports by any means. Try again. Once again, why is th USA threatening to invade Iran if Sudan has WMD's

The answer is simply that their is no actual intelligence indicating that they do. It's just a group of defectors (as the link you posted indicates)

Once again, you're a great example of the Maryland study, you simply ignore any information that doesn't fit into your fox produced world view.

you should be proud of being an American rather then finding false ideas to bash and berate a Nation that protects you and I everyday! in 1776 July 4th we declared our Independence and have been so every since! This country has never taken over any Nation..we have help them liberate them selves from oppression! even at the loss of our own blood! Their is no country on this earth that the United States of America, took over as the spoils of war go to the victors! We gave it to the people of that Nation!

1. factually wrong, (Hawaii, Mexico, and the western states were not originally part of your country, and you have set up puppet Vhichi style governments in areas to put forward American interests over that of hte population)
2. Irrelevant to the conversation of Liberal Media.
3. I'm not American.
 dancecard
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What does the term Liberal Media mean to you
Posted: 2/16/2008 1:15:48 PM
We do thank you for your helpful insights too help us understand why people are saying and doing what they do.

I look forward to other view points as well ~ whats the land of the Big Sky, Montana got to allow? ~ How about the marsh lands down south , the bayou country or the Big Thicket or the cold country of Nebraska and Candada to New Foundland.

What is your major news source? ~ newpapers ~ TV ~ CNN , Fox , CBN , BBC, CBS, Cspan ~ whats being said around the coffee pot? ~ I think it'd be a good thing for us all to know ~ where our views are coming from and whats the current issues of importance. Do you feel informed and current on National and World issues?

Thank ~ free speech for the education ~ I'm not suggesting that we'll all agree with what your ideas ~ but we "do"all agree you have the right to speak them.

And I'd like to know what they are and where you got them. ~ dar
 exodusi1
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 1:37:10 PM
Let us hope that our nation, our Constituton is not too far gone to be saved.

The ignorance of many of our citizenry is allowing the very thing that the Constitution was designed to prevent. I urge anyone who loves our nation to read Federalist Number 10, by James Madison.

Madison was the father of the Constitution. In F-10, he explains that the Constitution is a safeguard from Factions. By being a Representative Republic, with rules imposed to make it hard to pass laws (i.e. fillibusters, vetos, judicial review, etc.), that bad laws are more difficlut to create.

We have a powerful faction in this country today, that is making Madison spin in his grave. The RepublicanPolitical Machine represents everything Madison was afraid of. Incredible wealth, disregard for public safety or interest, usrpation of power to the executive branch (Federalist Number 51, also J Madison), control of the media. They have managed to make an entire generation of poor people vote for them by using the media to distribute their lies. They have turned the word "Liberal," into a four letter word, despite the fact that every definition of liberal is positive.

I don't know if we can reverse this trend. But just the fact that someone would even question whether there is a "Liberal" media bias means that Americans don't understand just how little of the media is even unbiased or left leaning anymore.

Perhaps it will take the complete economic collapse to rebuild our Republic? If we stay on the neocon path, that fall is inevitable.
 Time2SeeU2
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 3:22:40 PM
For me it means Red diaper doper babies own most of the media companies in American today, and since they own the companies they can do and show what ever they want, that's Freedom of the Press. It's up to you to decide if you desire to believe everything you see, read or hear.
 bob0colo
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 5:12:39 PM

Red diaper doper babies own most of the media companies in American today, and since they own the companies they can do and show what ever they want, that's Freedom of the Press.
_____________________time2seeu2

You are saying that the five major Corporations that own everything are Commies?

GE ------------------1

Murdock------------------2
(FOX..... Wall Street Journel...more ...soon Yahoo)

Clear channel...(2200 radio station owned by Mitt Romney)

Westinghouse------------------3

Disney------------------4

Sinclair------------------5

DONT LIST THE NAMES OF SOLDIERS KILLED IN IRAQ on nightline
Sinclair
DON"T HONOR DEAD SOLDIERS
Sinclair

Lets get them Pink-co red slime bags......

You are so RIGHT...

How can we allow this left wing liberal crap to exists???

Liberal Media.....MA
 forumator
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/16/2008 6:09:55 PM
I like the question, what does liberal media mean,actually whats does liberal mean? I used to think that Liberal meant that these people were the most open minded and understanding. These are the closest definitions that I found to what I had thought Liberal meant "favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible""free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant". But after reading posts by those who claim to be "Liberal" I have come to realize that it is not an accurate definition. Those of you on this forum who profess to be Liberal seem to be the most opinionated,hateful, most inclined to bash and name call,most inclined to try to censor and stifle the voices of those who do not agree with your position. Which to me is contradictory to the concept of individual freedoms ,I have seen very little tolerance exhibited by those who profess to be "Liberal"...think about all the people who get reported by "Liberals" or banned for expressing opposing views....So now I am confused is the media Liberal? possibly, but what does that really mean?
(before we get into all definitions I am aware that there are many and that some merely pertain to thoughts on Government)
 MidtownJohn
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/16/2008 6:22:26 PM
There is no significant liberal media in the USA. There is bland, toothless and compliant infotainment from the major news outlets but very little incisive investigative journalism. What little there is gets ignored in favour of screamfests with Bill O'Really.
 dancecard
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 6:45:27 PM

But after reading posts by those who claim to be "Liberal" I have come to realize that it is not an accurate definition. Those of you on this forum who profess to be Liberal seem to be the most opinionated,hateful, most inclined to bash and name call,This allows you to quote a previous post.

Message: Perhaps you need to read it again ~ you've been misdirected or misinformed in someway.

I'm not ware of anyone professing to be one way or the other. ~ There's been no card caring commie's shown up ~~~~ yet! Just people with a point of view ~ some more articulated, some more eloquent then others .

In the last two post out of 30 ~ the term red or pinko as came up . I do expect this to be a lively airing of the issue as hand ~ "What does Liberal Media mean to you"

I to ~ feel somewhat confused~ hence, the reason for the post. I do expect some name calling and finger pointing ~ I expect responses from all "voter and observers of the vote" ~ so enjoy the thread ~ should be a good read ~ dar
 Manwiffkiddies
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:18:50 PM

I'm not sure your background, but in most circles the display of citations and evidence is what shows the difference between an simple opinion like "I like ice cream" vs facts like such as Vanilla ice cream has 145 calories per half cup.

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/19095.html

Ok... take an item as simple as this... something that you think should almost be unrefutable, right?

Wrong... there are many types of vanilla ice cream, with many different calorie counts.

You illustrate my point very well. :)

I, on the other hand, am not going to go to the grocery store and take digital pictures of the many different ice cream containers to illustrate my point, nor am I going to google different brands of ice cream. Still, I can demonstrate my point to those that are able to follow it to a logical conclusion and have at least a remedial understanding of the topic at hand.

Does that make my point or my post less valid? Maybe. I'm sure though that it makes it much less tiresome than reading through half the cut & pasted blog guano that's slung about.
 bob0colo
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:30:40 PM
We all want the same things, really: Freedom, prosperity, & stable communities. It's just that we don't all agree on what courses of action are best to secure those interests. The media can confuse this further by putting 'spin' on things which makes them appear to come off as an authority on certain issues, when really they don't know any better than anyone else.

Is everyone at risk with 5 huge Corporations owning it all?

What about Murdock taking over Yahoo?

When is it too much?
 rsx11s
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:41:29 PM

Those of you on this forum who profess to be Liberal seem to be the most opinionated,hateful, most inclined to bash and name call,most inclined to try to censor and stifle the voices of those who do not agree with your position. Which to me is contradictory to the concept of individual freedoms

Translation: I had my account pulled for being nasty and had open a new one.

The United States of America has never invaded nor took over any country in the world, that did not ask for our help!

Wow. Just when did Iraq ask? We can talk about the other 34 later.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:44:32 PM

Wrong... there are many types of vanilla ice cream, with many different calorie counts.

You illustrate my point very well. :)

Well actually no you don't. Because you know what you'd be doing if you went and looked up that info? Citing your sources.

Which is fine, but it hardly refutes my statement that if you want to be taken seriously in an argument about issues that are controversial , you have to cite some sources for your information.

or not, but if you don't, why should anybody take you more seriously than the ranting drunk at the bus stop, or a five year old?
 PocoLoco44
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:50:04 PM

I was responding to the link you posted. There wasn't "countless" reports by any means. Try again. Once again, why is th USA threatening to invade Iran if Sudan has WMD's

The answer is simply that their is no actual intelligence indicating that they do. It's just a group of defectors (as the link you posted indicates)

Once again, you're a great example of the Maryland study, you simply ignore any information that doesn't fit into your fox produced world view.

Mr.Charlie....as I pointed out it was Google not any one news source that has unbias information available to all to view.. I gave you a link to read, and have suggested you further educate your self, rather then living in the world of pretend? where things are not always as they appear to be or reported to be when slanted by a bias news agency!

By the way the US has not threaten to invade Iran? Iran has been asked by the UN to stop their pursuit of WMD and stay out of Iraq and funding and or suppling weapons and IUD's to Al Qaeda...

Not only do we have intelligence that Syria has WMD's Israel just recently bomb one od their depots that had caches of WMDs

. factually wrong, (Hawaii, Mexico, and the western states were not originally part of your country, and you have set up puppet Vhichi style governments in areas to put forward American interests over that of hte population)
2. Irrelevant to the conversation of Liberal Media.
3. I'm not American

Now you need to learn your history before pontificating another lie.... Mexico is still a sovereign nation, and have their own Government in place....which by the way is why so many Mexicans are fleeing from that country to come here for a better life! about 15 to 40 million depending on who's reporting the numbers! lol...

Hawaii was developed by Americans in the 19th century who then annexed the islands in 1898 and made them a territory in 1900 to further protect them from invading countries! with the consent and help of the tribal kings...It then become a state in 1950 to enjoy the full protection and citizenship of the USA in order to allow Hawaii and the mainland to travel back and forth uninpeded! very simylar to the islands of Puerto Rico... you see my friend belive it or not many people love America and want to be apart of it!

No nation or island has become apart of the US without their complete consent and asking to be apart of us! if that were the case Canada and Mexico would belong to the USA...we have the ability to take it if that's the way we operate! Get your facts straight buddy! lol

Oh by the way this is very relevant to Liberal Media...because if it bleeds it leads.. it's good for ratings, that's why they bash their own country and call those who are protecting them Murders Rapers and baby killers! it brings up rating and hatred for the USA...people turn in for more garbage! but Americans are getting smarter all the time...Newspaper subscriptions are down and so are the cable and local news channels ratings! why because people are begining to see the bull schitt! and why more turn to talk radio... where anyone out of line is exposed! liberal/Democrat or Conservative/Republican, it doesn't matter..what matters is...if it's right it's right and if it's wrong it's wrong! plus the internet is flourishing with more informed people rather then sheep! who belive it just because they said it!

If I may ask? what is your opinion of America? since as you say your not American?
 Manwiffkiddies
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:50:52 PM

Is everyone at risk with 5 huge Corporations owning it all?

What about Murdock taking over Yahoo?

When is it too much?

It's no different now than it was years ago. Growing up it was ABC, NBC, and CBS, with a smaller market for World News on PBS. That was it... that and Newsday or the New York Times. :)
 PocoLoco44
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:03:49 PM

Wow. Just when did Iraq ask? We can talk about the other 34 later.

Wow! The kurds before and after Saddam had slaughtered many of them, secondly the shi-ites and sunnies did. the people were in the streets celebrating when US forces came into town! intelligence on the ground prior to any invasion told us that many Iraqi people agreed to and ask for the US to help stop the systematic slaughtering of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi people to include the raping and torture at will by Saddam and his son's along with their thugs! We didn't hang Saddam they did... he committed crimes against the people of Iraq! Kuwait Iran and the Kurds Sunnis and Shi-its! we found several hundred thousands of bodies in mass graves and air port hangers where he had killed them!

Now let's talk about the other (34 ) please listed them one by one for all to see
 Manwiffkiddies
Msg: 41
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:12:58 PM

or not, but if you don't, why should anybody take you more seriously than the ranting drunk at the bus stop, or a five year old?

They probably shouldn't. I'm a big proponent of people thinking for themselves.

I'm all for showing supporting evidence from a reputable source. I just don't see how credibility is gained from citing quotes from the mass of blogs out there that are little more than someone elses personal opinion.

Let's think outside of the box for a sec. If copy/paste wasn't an option (no such thing existed), would it be impossible for us to provide a reasonable, fact-based argument?

OK, maybe I'm just old-school. I just think an argument becomes significantly less sexy when it's got copy/pasted commentary from Keith Olberman and Rush Limbaugh thoughout.

(I feel at this point I need to congratulate myself for using the words sexy, Keith Olberman, and Rush Limbaugh in the same sentence!) :)
 bob0colo
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:15:49 PM
It's no different now than it was years ago. Growing up it was ABC, NBC, and CBS, with a smaller market for World News on PBS. That was it... that and Newsday or the New York Times. :)

Clear Channel ( Mitt Romny)
Owns 22000 stations

Sorry but you are wrong.
 oldkid
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:28:47 PM
It is so nice that several intellectual types with nothing better to do than chase down references on the internet can waste so much space and not answer the original question. Just what does the middle east and WMD have to do with defining the term "Liberal Media"?
 Manwiffkiddies
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:36:14 PM

Clear Channel ( Mitt Romny)
Owns 22000 stations

Holy crap, 22000 stations?

I only get like 500... and maybe 10 are news-oreiented.

Man am I getting jipped!

My point was, that years ago the news was controlled by like 3 corporations. (TV news, anyway).

So now we have 5? That's a vast improvement, no? :)
 bob0colo
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:42:17 PM
Are the WMD in Russia?

How things have changed.
Have you been paying attention?

50 to 9?

local to BIG $$$$$$$$$

Sorry it's a cut and paste....Just don't read it.

_______

Previous to the Reagan Administration, our public airwaves were regulated by the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) who enforced stipulations that were meant for the public good:

- The Fairness Doctrine required media outlets to provide equal time for opposing view points.

- Broadcast frequencies were assigned to companies - not to the highest bidder, but by what the FCC determined as the “best public use.”

- A corporation was only allowed to own a certain amount of radio, TV and newspapers in any geographical location; this was to keep any one company from monopolizing what was seen, heard or read in the area.

In 1982, 50 companies controlled half or more of the media business.

When the Reagan Administration took power in the early 1980’s, many of the doctrines of the FCC were considered outdated.

The FCC was revamped to promote a more “free market” approach to broadcast and print media.

In 1987 the FCC abolished the Fairness Doctrine.

In 1994, broadcast spectrums were auctioned to the highest bidder, regardless of “best public use;” this made only the largest and most powerful of corporations able to afford them.

Large media giants swallowed the smaller companies that could not afford to compete.

In 2003, the FCC Media Bureau produced a draft report analyzing the impact of deregulation in the radio industry.

The report stated that from March 1996 through March 2003, the number of commercial radio stations on the air rose 5.9 percent while the number of station owners fell 35 percent.

Today, most of what we see, hear and read is controlled by nine large media conglomerates; the largest five are Time Warner, Disney, Bertelsmann, Viacom, and Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation (i.e. FOX News).

http://www.gurujeff.com/?p=118

In 1981 television licenses were extended from three years to five years. The maximum number of stations corporations were allowed to own increased from seven to twelve. A five-question process replaced a detailed inquiry for license renewals. License renewals were reduced from a detailed inquiry about how a station served the public interest to a 5-question application (the "post-card renewal" process). Guidelines for the minimum amounts of non-entertainment content were eliminated in 1985, along with the maximum amount of advertising allowed per hour.

The Fairness Doctrine insured media would be balanced, and serve the interests of the public. It required television and radio stations to provide public service announcements, local public affairs shows, and children’s programming, plus provide equal time to differing views on topics. In 1987 it was eliminated. The Congress voted to extend the Fairness Doctrine, but Reagan vetoed it.

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 passed by the Congress and signed off by President Clinton, deregulated the telecommunications industry, supposedly allowing more companies to provide more services. The Act eliminated the restrictions on ownership of cable stations by broadcast networks, and joint radio-broadcast television ownership.

The FCC interpreted the Act to extend broadcast licenses from five to eight years under the rubric of fostering competition. A 1999 article in the Journal of Media Economics said the Act was “largely based on the presumptions of the effectiveness of competition and the success of earlier deregulation.”

In reality, the Act ushered in a telecommunications monopoly where a few companies provided all the telecommunications services. Economist and author, Jeremy Rifkin refers to the 1996 Act as, “A landmark piece of legislation that opened the media field to new competitors, including the large regional telephone companies and cable companies.”

Since 1996, and that “landmark piece of legislation,” mainstream media is controlled by a handful of corporations who have neither the incentive nor the desire to provide accurate information to the American public whom they purport to serve. The sad fact of the matter is that both the Republicans and Democrats created a media monopoly. While Reagan began the process, Clinton put the final nails in the proverbial coffin.

The FCC Commissioners voted three to two in June 2002 to relax ownership regulations so that a broadcast corporation can own enough stations to reach 45% of all viewers, up from 35%. Commissioner Michael Copps said that ninety-percent of the input from citizens was against the move. Congress voted to overturn the relaxed ownership regulations because the American people were against outraged. President Bush threatened to veto, and that forced Republicans in Congress to compromise with him and allowed the ownership caps to be set at 39%.

http://www.politicsandculture.net/media-deregulation-erodes-democracy/
 Manwiffkiddies
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/16/2008 8:42:29 PM

It is so nice that several intellectual types with nothing better to do than chase down references on the internet can waste so much space and not answer the original question. Just what does the middle east and WMD have to do with defining the term "Liberal Media"?

The original question doesn't say anything about the mideast or WMD, nor is it implied at any other point by the OP.

If you want to redefine the question and bash others for going off-topic, start your own thread. :P
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/16/2008 9:36:51 PM
Let's think outside of the box for a sec. If copy/paste wasn't an option (no such thing existed), would it be impossible for us to provide a reasonable, fact-based argument?

Facts would be difficult to establish. But we should stop de-railing the thread.

Wow! The kurds before and after Saddam had slaughtered many of them, secondly the shi-ites and sunnies did. the people were in the streets celebrating when US forces came into town! intelligence on the ground prior to any invasion told us that many Iraqi people agreed to and ask for the US to help stop the systematic slaughtering of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi people to include the raping and torture at will by Saddam and his son's along with their thugs! We didn't hang Saddam they did... he committed crimes against the people of Iraq! Kuwait Iran and the Kurds Sunnis and Shi-its! we found several hundred thousands of bodies in mass graves and air port hangers where he had killed them!

640 thousand extra Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion. Diseases which were rare under the Sadamn regime are growing in the population

If the Americans are really there for the Iraqi people, why are they ignoring the fact that he majority of them want you to leave?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-04-28-poll-cover_x.htm

Now you need to learn your history before pontificating another lie.... Mexico is still a sovereign nation, and have their own Government in place....which by the way is why so many Mexicans are fleeing from that country to come here for a better life! about 15 to 40 million depending on who's reporting the numbers! lol...

Texas and southern California was part of Mexico before the US invaded, don't call me a liar when you're ignorant of American history.

Hawaii was developed by Americans in the 19th century who then annexed the islands in 1898 and made them a territory in 1900 to further protect them from invading countries! with the consent and help of the tribal kings...It then become a state in 1950 to enjoy the full protection and citizenship of the USA in order to allow Hawaii and the mainland to travel back and forth uninpeded! very simylar to the islands of Puerto Rico... you see my friend belive it or not many people love America and want to be apart of it!

You protected Hawaii from invasion by anexing them. Very nice. No wait, you're moving the goal posts arn't you? Now you invaded and took their resources, for their own good.

Anyway, I'm not even going to get any further into this retarded argument with you, I've shown two cases where Americans have occupied territory for their own advancement. I've show examples of Fox news increasing ignorance in three seperate areas. (of which ONE you dispute under pure speculation) you're a fox news watcher. There really isn't any point in discussion.
 rsx11s
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/16/2008 11:00:25 PM

640 thousand extra Iraqis have died as a result of the invasion.

Half a million children died during the economic blockade of Iraq. Madeline Albrught said this was "acceptible".

1.5 million Iraqi's have died since the beginning of the US invasion.

The reason the Bush administration sought immunity from the world court is this is starting to add up to genocide levels of numbers.

Nobody asks for genocide.
 dancecard
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2008 7:28:12 AM
Facts would be difficult to establish. But we should stop de-railing the thread.

The thread question is just the tip of the iceburg of a much greater issues and offers all of us ~ a non threating introduction ~ to these issues that seem to ~ to just ~ be accepted by most of us~ ~ We should be alarmed!!! shocked ~ offended!!

I for one have surly learned a lot ~ In just two pages ~ there has been a wealth of information come forward ~ I'm beginning to understand why we are sick , what caused this sickness and what it's going to take to get well again.

As it stands ~ for now ~ I hope to hear from many more people ~ consider this as attempt to chase down and indentify a virus. ~ I withhold my opinions and save them for a summary ` which I hope to share ~ but not now. It'd be wrong to jade the process at this point. ~ dar
 evnstevn
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2008 7:37:01 AM
If you believe all the stories, the most 'liberal 'person to walk the earth was a guy by the name of Jesus but by the standards of todays conservatives he was a total wuss.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > What does the term "Liberal Media" mean to you