Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tag_65
Msg: 276
My dog is dyingPage 12 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I lost my golden retriever 10 yrs back. Someone drove across my lawn and hit her. The decision was taken out of my hands. She died on the operating table. I am now having to put my horse down that I have had for 29yrs. He has heart problems and wont make the winter. It is hard either way. You will mourn their death. The hurt will pass in time. Just knowing that by you putting them down you have eased the suffering.

Best of luck
 doreeny
Msg: 277
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:59:01 PM
Listen my daughter is going through the very same thing right now she has apart shepherd part husky he is about 14 years old and he has gone right down in the last 6 months,he as stopped eating the last day and is hardly drinking , and she just cant bring herself to do it to him,even though she knows she should,she keeps saying i will know when but will she?i have had to put numerous pets to sleep in my life time and as i can not bare to see any animal suffer ,and beleive me they can take a lot of pain before they show it ,my first thought is to take them to the vet be it good news or bad.i know how heart breaking it can be but after it is all over you will know you have done the right thing, and he will be waiting for you on the rainbow bridge.and he will thank you.dee.
 alexthree
Msg: 278
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:22:28 PM
Dear Ms. Risen,

This past Friday I had an appointment with the vet with my golden retreiver, Alex. Alex had a tumor in his lower right jaw and the vets thought he had a malignant tumor. All of my friends knew how much both my guys meant to me...Katie is my other golden. They all sent me emails and stated they were praying for him. One from Springfield told me as I prayed for Alex to imagine him running, playing, being the happy dog that he has been....I did for three nights. When they examined him Alex was brave and kept looking at me like he has always done as if to gain my confidence. After almost six hours, the vet came to me and told me they felt it was not malignant and wanted the dentist to cut out the tumor and part of his tooth. We set up an appointment for Tuesday October 3rd. They feel he will be alright. I will still pray until this is all over and pray according to how my friend, Grace, told me to do so. My friends usually come to me for help and she helped me and became more of a best friend to me. But, I have to admit I cried every time I prayed for Alex as he laid on my arm as we laid on the floor to sleep. He didn't deserve to die this early and thank God He gave me more time for now. I know how you feel.
 braziliangrl
Msg: 279
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:24:13 PM
mine just died sept 5th. he was 16....he was failing and my sign was clear, he stopped eating and drinking...i came home at 6....made him eat some honey for his sugar and put him on his pillow...came home at 11;00 and he was gone....he had an appt for the following Mon....i was relieved......also had to put my 16 yr old sheperd mix down this past Feb. That was sooooo hard...she was clearly sad...she couldnt walk and made it hard for me to see her struggle when she once could run and chase the ball...But I stayed with her at the vet and held her face and looked into her eyes, I wanted to be the last peson she saw!!! Cant believe I could do it! It was my duty to her and you can do it too!!! You will be glad after you do it..very hard to say it but true...I feel you..
 cdavis571
Msg: 280
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:27:00 PM
I lost my 14 yr old chihuahua 3 yrs ago by a dalmation who mauled him. I loved that little guy so much. I watched him die in my hands. It is very hard losing a pet you love so much because they give so much unconditional love back to us. It is hard to have to put one down, but what kind of life do they have now? If they are in alot of pain, then that is the best thing to do.
I'm so sorry for you. I will keep you in my prayers.
 serenity60
Msg: 281
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:44:43 PM
I am so very sorry. As with many of the posters, I know exactly how you feel. I just had to make that decision to euthanize my 8 year old rottie 2 weeks ago. Please have someone go with you. I was going to go by myself but, Thank Goodness, I had a friend insist on coming. I try to imagine him running free across a boundless field.
 sunnystjohn
Msg: 282
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:54:30 PM
My prayers are with you as I know how difficult it is to lose a pet. Try to remember that there is a reason that your dog ended up with you....so that she could have the best life possible and be loved and cared for, and with you she has had that. It is normal to feel sad about losing your beloved pet so just go ahead and feel sad but try to remember all of the joy that your pet brought to you and vice versa for the time you had with her. If you are relieving her suffering you are putting your love for your dog before anything else including yourself.
 DannyGC
Msg: 283
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:55:14 PM
Yes i have had to put 2 dogs down. it was the hardest thing i have ever done. my heart goes out to you. But please remember that your dog cant speak for itself and if its really sick that is the best thing you can do as an owner is to put him or her down. I am a grown man and i have lots of death in my family whether it be human or animal, Both are just as hard. My heart goes out to you.
Danny
 CeU2
Msg: 284
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:59:09 PM
Most dogs pass from cancer. I had two that passed from cancer at eleven. That damn cancer does them in. Thank God they don't realize what is going on in their bodies. You'd think if we can sent a man to the moon, they'd come up with a cure for this deadly disease. So far it's just surgery and chemo.
 Eva12345
Msg: 285
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:06:44 PM
my golden retriver was very sick recently and i th ought i had to also put him down. I love my dog but i asked and asked and found that when you give fish oil it helps their cirulculation and heart and vitamins for strength and buffered aspirin they do get better my dog has regain energy and still with us i hope yours is with us to my heart goes out to you peace to you and love. peace to your animal and lord take care of her and heal her which ever way it should be
 daisymay1234
Msg: 286
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/22/2008 11:08:42 AM
I had to do this 3 years ago. I took my sheperd/collie to the vet because he was not eating and when he did he was sick immediately afterwards. They ran a few tests and did an exray and found out he had a tumor that had grown quite large and was closing off his stomach. The only thing I could do was have him put to sleep. I had the dog for 13 years. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and I will nev er forget it. I layed on the floor of the vetranary hospital with my dog and held him tight while he was being put down and I cried like a baby. Until this day I miss him with all my heart but one thing I did that has helped me was I had him cremated (costly) and his urn sits on a shelf in my home. I talk to him on a daily basis and it is comforting for me. Some people think this is strange but you do what you have to do. If I had to go through this all again I wouldnt do one thing different.
 Spirit25
Msg: 287
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 2:43:58 AM
I have. It's heartbreaking...even more so than losing the love your life. I cried straight for weeks after my parents took my yellow lab named Ben to be put down 4years ago. He was like my best friend. I had him since I was in the 4th grade.
 *SusieQ
Msg: 288
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 5:01:33 AM
I can only imagine being in that position..you know you're doing the right thing though...feel for you xo
 zestyvirginia
Msg: 289
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 10:04:30 AM
My heart goes out to you as I had to do that and it"""" tore my heart out"""" and I still cry but I did not want him to suffer anymore and he was so sick and I go and visit the grave site and put flowers and chat with him and only a dog lover can understand this is not a insane person, talking """""" as a dog can become a very important member of one's family,""""""
 nottheprincess4U
Msg: 290
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 10:15:03 AM
Your not killing her,,,, your putting her outta her misery,,,and doing her a huge favour,,, would you want to see one of your human loved ones in pain? I know it's a hard thing to do. But also don't let her keep suffering. Its not fair to her. I know this as i'm soon gonna have to make that exact choice. I love my shadow dog, like she's one of my kids,, and it's not gonna be easy, but i look into her eyes and i know she's looking to me to help her. Good luck!!!!
 muslimia
Msg: 291
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 10:17:50 AM
last november 26,2007 i lost my beloved cat Beethoven, he was in my life for almost 14 years, he passed in his sleep which is the way i wanted him to go, he also passed in 1 of his spots he liked to sleep, i cried every day for about 2 weeks. my father (bless him)
works in an animale shelter, and i told him that when its Beethoven's time to go, i will adopt from his shelter, when i told him about Beethoven, he was heartbroken for me, so was my stepmother, after a few weeks, he asked me if i wanted another cat, i told him i did, but not yet i need time to grieve, well a week or so later, i saw a cats profile on his shelters web site, i called my dad at about 10pm, and told him i WANT the cat they named Cropper, he said "but you havent met him yet" i told him i dont care, i want him, and he wants me, well, december 31, 2007 i met "cropper" when my father put him in my arms, it felt soooo right, he started to purrr almost right away and he put his paws on my shoulder and his head there to, then started to purrrrrr, and my father was like OMG, hes never done that to ANY ONE, befor, i jsut told him he was waiting for me, i then went to put him on his back to see his temperment, my father said he didnt like that, but I had no problem, he was purrrring away and enjoying every second in my arms. my father then said , thats the cat for you, and i agreed 100%, but he wanted me to hold a few more to make sure. but, no other cat felt right, sadly, i was unable to take "cropper" home that night, he had to get 1 more vet check, when he was found december 17,2007, his tail was badly injuted, it had to be removed, on january 2, my father called me and told he hes got the all clear, and the next day, i went o pick him up (my new cat) and my father after i left from meeting him, put up a note on his cage 'adopted" so, he got to the shelter dec. 17,2007, and he came home with me January 3, 2008, he was the shelters first adoption of 2008, i love my cat so much, i like to think my cat that passed left this world because he knew the new cat was going to come into my life. my new cat is now named Wolfgang Amadus Mozart, r Mozart for short.
 dysfunction_junction
Msg: 292
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 10:43:27 AM
i have had many dogs over the years but only 2 or 3 that i've had to put down. it's really the kindest thing you can do. say good bye her to her and let her go. she will not hold it against you and would thank you if she could.

i once knew someone who had an old dog that he kept around way too long because he couldn't bear to put him down when he should have. ultimately it was a very selfish thing to do. the dog ended up not able to walk, in obvious pain and discomfort, and not even able to control his own bowels.
 RedDevil73
Msg: 293
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/23/2008 11:21:02 AM
I had to say goodbye to my cat after 12 and a half years and it was heartbreaking to say the least. She came into my life when I was 9 and left when I was almost 22 so I guess I grew up with her.

She was put to sleep on my lap, at home, which I regretted for many years afterwards, as that moment has stayed with me ever since. However, it was what was best for her. She took her last breath close to the person who had loved her so much for all those years. I would have loved her to live a longer life and to pass in her sleep but we cannot control these things. She was always very psychic and knew that morning that her time had come. She literally hugged me when the vet came in. I would like to think she was saying goodbye and not just seeking my protection.

Do not see it as killing your dog. If she could speak she would probably tell you she wanted an end her suffering. Euthanasia is the humane thing to do. My heart goes out to you.
 bad news
Msg: 294
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:28:16 AM
Not sure if this is posted round here. I found it yrs ago in another forum.

The Legend of the Rainbow Bridge
*Author Unknown*

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
 magicalmel_83
Msg: 295
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 12:54:29 AM
Hi

I have been there a few times, im an animal lover and I know its hard, and it hurts. But sometimes you just have to do whats best for the dog/pet, unlike people dogs cants tell you or show you they are in pain, it sucks and is heart breaking, but you also have to look at if you where in the situation what would you want to have done, some people pay so much for the vet and surgury that can only give them a few extra months, its not fair on them. Just remember the good times.
 drkstorm32572
Msg: 296
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 1:12:24 AM
I'm sorry for what you have to go through its never easy. I always thought I was a "dog'' person until Garcia came into my life, he's a gray smoke colored cat. Never been a big cat fan but he has been an unbelievable companion and a God send. I couldn't imagine losing him or having to put him down so my heart goes out to you and I hope you make it through this as painless as possible
 Tidefan43
Msg: 297
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 2:50:15 PM
Sunrisen,
I have had to put pets to sleep and have had them die in my arms. It isn't easy. To me it is like losing my best friend. Because that is what they are. Euthanizing is the right thing to do even though it is hard. Animals can't tell us when they have had enough. They can't write a living will. Your pet trust you, so trust your Vet and your heart and let God take care of the rest. Most importantly, know your baby isn't in pain or suffering anymore. I am so sorry for your pain and what you have been through. It does get better with time. I know it may not seem that way right now.
 SuzukiSamurai
Msg: 298
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:32:06 PM
I lost my dog spike in March 2005. He died on my birthday and had been sick for over a year with Cushings Disease. 6 weeks later, I lost his son, Gizmo to Congestive Heart Failure. This February, I lost a third dog, Brandy (gizmo's mom) to congestive heart failure also. I was fortunate in that I didn't have to put them down, couldn't handle that. They died in my arms; well Gizmo and Brandy did. Spike died on the dog pillow, surrounded by my other 6 dogs. If I was you, I would talk to your vet about giving the dog enough medication to control his pain and let him die at home with you. Before a pet dies, they lose interest in eating, drinking, exercise, pretty much everything. If he doesn't want to go out, let him pee on the floor; clean it up later. I found it comforting to hold my dogs as they were dying. Sure, I bawled like a 10 year old, but you want to know something? Death is another part of life; its a debt that all men (and animals) must pay. Just take solace in the fact that your pet died as he was being held by you and you will see him again one day, free of pain.

As far as cremation is concerned, it is not that expensive at all. For you or anyone else in this thread, private message me and I will give you the name of a very caring and compassionate pet cremation service in Edmonton. I have my three dogs in individual wooden earns that are hand-engraved/etched. They sit on a shelf and I see them every day; they are dead and gone, but they are still with me. When I go, they will be re-cremated with me.

In closing, if you have other pets, they need you at this time, because they will be grieving too. The pain never goes away, but it gets easier to bare. I hope you find comfort in this:

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone(G%^damn, my eyes are starting to tear up) very special, someone who was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and look sinto the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the RAINBOW BRIDGE together...

St. Francis of Assisi is the patron Saint of animals. Don't worry, your pet will be in good hands. Just be with him, grieve for him but do not continue to mourn for him. I know about pet loss, I've experienced it and can help, if anyone wants to private message me, please do so. Robert
 SuzukiSamurai
Msg: 299
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 8:40:52 PM
Oops, didn't realize Rainbow Bridge was allready posted. But just read it again, and take comfort in it, I know I do. And one more thing: pets are for life, and they are like your children. If you need to grieve for your pet, take as much time as you need and don't let others ridicule you for it:(like that stupid idiot who posted the comment about getting a cat). Pets, whether they are cats or dogs or goldfish, are creatures that deserve compassion and a caring attitude when they are sick and/or dying. Noone has the right to take that away from you.
 COLT6969
Msg: 300
My dog is dying
Posted: 9/30/2008 9:01:24 PM
There is a Bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because its many colours. Just this side of the bridge there is a land of meadows, hill and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old an frail animals are young again. Those who were maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.
There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So, each day they run and play until one day comes one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! and this one suddenly runs from the group!
You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be seperated....

I to have had to endure many times this lose, never gets easy, but I found this poem to give me hope that it is a temporary situation.
I hope you and anyone who reads this, is comforted as I was.
Sincerely,
Rosemarie
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying