Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jon20007
Msg: 26
My dog is dyingPage 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Put it in perspective, not that losing a pet isn't hard, but going in you know the lifespan of the animal going in. Let's look at something really hard. I'm here, because I've been cheated on and devastated by my wife of 15 years, but in reality this is a stubbed toe. I have a friend, who has twins, one with a congential heart defect who was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She is my hero, she's strong and still has a great attitude. I pray for her everyday and I also see that I have the chance to enjoy everyday. So look at the time you had and enjoy the memories and feel the bitterness of the loss, use it remember to enjoy every experience of each day. Take a deep breath, count your blessings, and get busy living....
 JustChris38
Msg: 27
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:45:56 PM
My heart, prayers, and condolences go out to you. I have raised, trained, and spent all my life with dogs. Fortunately for me, I also have had the luck and priviledge to live out in the country the vast majority of my life. So I have never had one hit by a car, or be severely injured from any tragic accident. Also, luckily for me and my dogs, most have passed away pretty quickly due to old age and natural causes.

For me personally, I have let most of them die a natural death. I have only had a dog put down because they were obviously suffering from severe pain, and/or could no longer maintain their own mobility. Yes, I have a very painfully hard time letting go.

But they all passed away at home with me holding, talking, kissing, petting, and consoling them. I still remember all of them, and often cry over the memories of the beauty, unconditional love, and experiences they shared with me in my life.

All of them will reside in my mind, heart, and soul until I too pass away.

They always were, always have been, and always will be my family and the best friends I've ever had in my entire life.

Again, I offer you my thoughts, love, hugs, and hopefully peacefulness in time.

Most Sincerely,

Chris
 Cowgirlangel56
Msg: 28
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 7:56:39 PM
Dear Sunrisen,
I lost my horse that was 32..I had him 28 years.I had to have one horse put down..She was 17, busted her gut from colic.I had to have my cat of 14 yrs. old put down.from cancer.
Just be there with your dog, hold her paw and pray for her and she will go peacefully..I believe our pets go to heaven, I do not care what anyone else thinks...
I have one regret, and that is I never had any of them cremated..I have all of them buried in my pasture, My 32 yr, old horse has a headstone and the others have stepping stones for headstones..
But I wish I had them cremated so I could have had their ashes in a container to keep forever..
Talk with your vet and see what your options are..Decide what you want to do..Just remember, do not let your loved one suffer..You are doing the right thing..I know, I have had to make that decision many times..
You were a wonderful Mom to your pet and she will always remember you for that and when she is leaving this earth, she will go knowing that and she will leave loving you just as she always has, remember that..okay..God loves you and we all love you...
 Robodeer7
Msg: 29
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:04:49 PM
Oh honey! You poor thing....
Lady, you truly have my sympathies during this stressful and tragic time, but take solace in that in by putting the old pooch down, you are doing the right thing. Unlike people, Dogs and Cats can't tell us what kind of pain they are in, but it does show up in other ways. As a canine rescue volunteer and former veterinary assistant, I can only hope that you understand that you are doing your furry friend one, last, and final favor and expression of love. If you were doing this out of anger, it would be very different, but this time, what you need to do is out of love. And like all things in life, it is bittersweet. I recommend that you personally hold your dog during the procedure, its a last bit of personal comfort that you can offer. And for most of my former clients, it brought a sense of closure and finality that never seemed to happen when people just brought the pet in and walked away, unable to face the final moments of a long life together. Believe me, its no fun, but you both deserve this last moment together.
 carole_1965
Msg: 30
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:06:54 PM
I went through this a few years back and it is never easy saying goodbye to a loyal, loving companion. But the more we love them the more we know they do not deserve not one second of suffering because of our unwillingness to let them go. It is much better for you to have her euthanized than to, heaven forbid leave the house and come back to find she died alone. That would be much harder in my opinion. If you don't want to be there (some people can't handle it and if you can't do not feel ashamed) there are some vets who will take care of everything for you so you don't have to bury them or even see them afterwards. It's all a personal prefference and how much you can handle. I was there through everything with my girl and then I left and they shipped her to the creamatoriam and called me when her urn was ready to be picked up, it is expensive and I could never do it again but I wouldn't change it either. I also had another dog that became aggressive and had to be put down, I had to just call the humane society to come and get him, it was winter and the ground was frozen and I could not afford to pay for the burial somewhere else. It was no easier than doing the full blown creamation thing, in fact it was probably the same feeling with both. LOSS and GREIF with a whole lotta TEARS. Hey if you have feelings at all those are all normal emotions over a loss. Hang in there it will be tuff but time heals all wounds.
Big (((((((HUGS)))))))))
 dcarl
Msg: 31
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:07:23 PM
i had a dalmation that was whith me for 15 years rode on my fire truck took him to parades he was apart of my family at home and a family member too all at the station. one day i came home (i knew he was getting on in age, but he had the heart of a pup)and he was acting funny so i watched him stumble around a bit and i knew something was not right so i layed him down on the carpet know he wasnt going to get up again,and i talked with him a bit telling him thing will be okay and for him to go ahead and go. it only took a few minutes and he was gone ( too think he waited until i got home before he left was so priceless to me.(tears in my eyes as i write this) so hear is something for all of u to read that i found in a dear abby letter: titled: humane ending of a life shows love for old pet. " IN MEMORY OF FRECKLES" trust me kindly, my beloved friend. for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than mine. Do not break my spirit with a stick.for though I might lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
Speak to me often, for ur voiceis the world's sweetest music, as u must know by the wagging of my tail when i hear ur footsteps. Please take me inside when it is cold and wet. for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilage of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I can't tell you when i'm thirsty. Feed me clean food that I may stay well,to romp and play and do your bidding.
And my friend when I am very old and no longer enjoy good health, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. Please se that my trusting life is taken gently, I shal leave this earthknowing with my last breath that my fate was always safestin yor hands.
I really hope this gives all of u some comfort, cause it does me.
 ktodd1969
Msg: 32
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:09:42 PM
Yes I have had to have my dogs put down. It is very hard to do........Long story short, when I was going thru my divorce, my ex-wife and I had these two big dogs, and when I was asked to leave (move out of my house) by my ex, I was forced to move into an apartment that didn't allow big dogs, one (my male dog) weighed 95 lbs. (a Rottweiler/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix), the other one (my female dog) weighed 125 lbs.(a Rottweiler/Chow mix), so you can imagine how difficult this was for me)....after I left then my ex decided to move out of our house (which I also lost too, BTW) and she didn't want the dogs. I tried and tried in vain to find them a good home with someone who had large dogs who lived out in the country but to no avail. As a last resort I called the SPCA to tell them of my plight. The SPCA told me over the phone that they wouldn't euthanise the dogs.......but guess what? When I got there with these two big dogs, the people there freaked out and told me they would HAVE to put them down because they (the SPCA) thought my dogs would be too "aggressive" towards all the other smaller dogs at the dog shelter. This was very hard for me to deal with. They were my babies, I mean, to me they were nothing but big puppies, 4 and 5 years old, respectively. I ended up dropping them off there and telling them goodbye, I had no choice..........to this day I still blame my ex. That was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, if only I could have found someone to take them.

When I was a child I had a dog that I loved very much that I had raised, and my dad had the dog pound come take him off to be euthanised because the dog bit other kids in the neighborhood because they used to taunt him/provoke him.

I can feel your pain about losing a pet that you cared for, believe me.
 crystalake
Msg: 33
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:16:40 PM
This brought tears to my eyes as had to put to sleep our shnauzer Alex..he was the love of my life...

Could not stand to see him suffer he died of old age...could not stand up any longer...
 missouri-gypsy
Msg: 34
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:18:38 PM
I so sorry, I had to put down my 19 yr. old cat and it about killed me.
I was there when they gave her the shot, I figured she had always been there for me it was the last bit of love that I could give her.
She was sick and had been for awhile and I just could not do it, finally I could not take it anymore looking at her so we had a long talk and I just knew she was ready.
I'm crying right now just thinking about it.
 crystalcastle
Msg: 35
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:21:39 PM
Sorry to heard that!!!

Actually I lost a dog and a cat this last year. Just couple day before christmas my dog was hit by a car and I found him in the middle of the road almost dead. It was terrible becasue the kids saw it. I took it to the emergrncy vet, but it was too late. But still i have that pic of my dog in the middle of the roud in my head and sometimes I can't even sleepp.
My cat also was hit by a car becasue I live by the road and she came home hardly moving. I din't put it to sleep, but she day a week later. I took it to the vet, but i din't have the corage to put it to sleep which would be even better that way she woun't suffer that much.
I was having hope, but she day a week later. She din't eat or nothing. If I know that she would die, I probably would put it to sleep that day.

I hope people understand me. My English is not that good.

Pray to God to go trought that and lit a candle for you pet.

Best whishes

Crystal
 DonQ
Msg: 36
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:25:49 PM
I've lost many beloved pets over the years. I think its mostly because I adopt the strays that no one wants or callously throw out like last week's left over pizza crust. I give them a home and shower them with love and they universally respond with love in kind. When they do eventually pass on it breaks my heart but they leave this world with me holding them instead of alone in an alley or run over by a car.

Just recently I had to put a 6 month old kitten to sleep due to a heart defect. She was only with me a short time but I was devestated none the less. There is a poem I came across many many years ago that just makes me cry every time I read it. It deals with being reunited with a friend after you've both passed on. Its called the Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
 Soft and Curvy
Msg: 37
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:30:24 PM
Sunrisen...first let me say how very sorry I am for what you are going through. I used to work in a clinic and also as a trainer and I will tell you the same thing I use to tell the clients. My suggestion would be to be there with them ONLY if you can remain calm. If you are crying and weepy, it will heighten your dogs anxiety. Once it is over, it can be your time to cry.

You vet may give them a light sedative before they inject the euthonol. They will just drift off to sleep. I took my dog's favorite blanket with them to get wrapped up in. After they were gone, I snipped a little bit of their hair off to keep as a souvenir. I keep their hair in little pill bottles in "my shoebox".

Make sure you remove all bowls, beds etc from the house before you go to the vet. They are too hard to look at when you get home. Also, keep the radio in your car shut off. You don't need to relive the "this song was playing on the radio when...." drama every time you here that song for years to come.

I've had to say good-bye to 3 dogs in the last year (old age) and it hurts big time. Be sure in your knowledge that you are doing the right thing. I loved my dogs so much, and they loved me too. They trusted me and they knew that in all our years together I always looked after them. They left this Earth knowing that no matter what, I always did what was the best for them, even when I didn't want to.

I love going to the dog park we used to go to. I see their doggy buddies there and have a good time there. I try to never focus on the day they died. I focus on the many years we had together, the adventures we shared and the laughter and joy they brought me. Then I wonder of all the dogs in the world, how lucky I was to get blessed with those three. They are still with me everywhere I go.

Good luck my friend. There is also an online pet loss support group with a chat room running 24/7.

http://www.petloss.com/
 coughlookherecough
Msg: 38
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:34:13 PM
I've never posted on these boards but I thought I would throw my two cents in. Have you asked your dog what he wants to do?

There is a lot of hoopalah about people like the 'dog whisperer' and the like who can talk to animals. Thing is, we are animals too. Most animals can communicate with other animals, birds and squirrels and deer and the like, if not fully, than at least enough to say things like 'a wolf is coming'. If people stop thinking of animals as 'pets' (in that commodity way) or things to be in zoos and start to talk to them, verbally or on a subconscious level, like equal creatures (we are, don't fool yourself) they would realize that it is really, and truly, not all that hard to talk to most animals and get a response.

Now, here's what works for me. Ask your dog a question that you know the answer to, like 'where is your food'. You can ask out loud, but more importantly, ask in your head. A direct question. Use that inner head you use when you are mentally trying to get someone to turn around, that inner voice you can project outwards from your forehead. Then, this is the key, think about what the answer from your dog would be and watch the facial expressions and movement. If, in your head, you hear the answer 'in the kitchen' and your dog turns it's head slightly to the kitchen, it means you might have a dialogue going. It might of just reacted to the word 'food' so switch it up a bit.

Once you can get a dialogue open (which, if you really want to, isn't that hard). You ask you dog if it is best to be put down, look at your dog's face, think of their response in your head and go with it. It will probably be the right choice.

Incidentally, I had a cat that I adopted off the street and within a few months she looked close to death (well, even closer than when I rescued her). I asked her what was wrong, she 'told' me. I took her to the vet told him what I 'thought' was wrong and was right on all counts. Liver failure, skin disease, stomach cancer and arthritis - the works. She told me to let her die (she would have on the street), so I did. She was right about the pain, I let her be right about the treatment.

I'm not a quack.
 soft light
Msg: 39
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:41:21 PM
A few years ago my Red Doberman (Morgan) got Von Brons Disease (Stopped making platelets and was bleeding internally). After spending about $2,000 (which I would gladly do again if it would save him) he died. I grieved for him terribly. Two years later my Mixed Breed (Madison) got Lymphoma. I did everything to help her, including cemo. She went into remission, but it came back just two months later instead of the 6 months that the Vet had predicted. I just couldn't bear to see her go through the pain and misery again, so I had her put down. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I know that it was the best thing to do, but it still hurts. When I wrote the check to the Vet to pay for the Euthanazia I realized it was my birthday.

Death & disease can't always be stopped, but the pain of going through it can. Do the right thing for your dog and realize that she does understand.
 iliose
Msg: 40
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:46:05 PM
Had to deal with this not so long ago - only a month ago actually. Sharing this with some friends helped a lot. Esther was a 13 year old Rottweiler I adopted a couple of years ago:

Tomorrow at 5 pm, I'm putting Esther in the car, driving to the vet and having her put to sleep.

On Monday she had a bad fall that hurt her hips, and more importantly, her elbow. It was the the leg that she was using to hold up most of her body weight. Now that her elbow is hurt, she can barely keep herself up without falling or being in a lot of pain.

I made a decision a long time ago, pretty much the day I adopted her two years ago, that when she couldn't walk on her own anymore, I was going to let her go. She's always had trouble moving around, but on Monday I saw her struggle more than she ever has. I immediately took her to the vet and they did x-rays, bloodwork, and sent me home with painkillers and an anti-inflammatory. I stayed with her all day on Monday, waiting to see the medication take action and make her feel better, but there was nothing happening for her. She refused to take the painkillers disguised in some of her favorite foods, and at one point - the dog who's never been aggressive towards me - turned on and snarled and snapped when I tried to move her more comfortably on to her bed. I broke down crying (for about the 14th time that day) and knew that I would have to help her and take the pain away.

This morning she seemed more comfortable, but she still took way too long to get up out of bed on her own, and once she was on all four feet, she fell over several times before making it to the front door. Soon after I went to the vet's office and talked to them about scheduling a time to take her in.

A new vet was there, and unfortunately I had to go through the process of explaining Esther's condition all over again. It sucked... she looked at her bloodwork and told me how metabolically Esther is in fantastic shape for her age. I started to doubt myself in a big way, and started crying at the counter. The vet kept looking through her file and saw notes that the two previous doctors had made about Esther's issue with mobility and pain. Eventually she started to comment in support of my decision and started pointing out some things in the file that she felt were important reasons to make what's been one of the hardest decisions of my life.

I took Esther to work with me today so I could spend as much time with her as possible. She sat with her nose to the window the entire ride to GR, scoping out the world as it went by. My kids at the store were fantastic and helped me get her set up in the back by my desk, and watched her as I went to park the car. During the day she got to meet new people, hang out on Sawtelle, and she got to say goodbye to Eric and Martin. Martin came up with one of the best ideas of the day, to let her party it up and eat some chocolate. We had some Hershey's kisses from Christmas and she ate them up like they were crack! She also got a slice of fancy pizza today, and a top-grade burger patty made with lots of love by Nelson at gr/eats. Esther wasn't raised vegan, like Praxis, but she took to the diet really well. It helped her lose weight when I couldn't walk her, and didn't feel right about feeding her less. I think it also probably has a lot to do with her excellent metabolic health in the last couple of years. But yeah... this is her send off, and I'm letting her have things that I know are going to make her happy and take her mind off of the pain in all of her joints. She literally hurts from her nose to her tail.

Tomorrow I'll be watching the clock. I'm dreading it. I kind of wish today could just keep going, but it's already 1:04 am and I'm losing time with her. I'm going to let her sleep in, and go for a riding lesson to keep myself somewhat positive throughout the day - somehow I don't think that throwing myself on her and crying for 9+ hours is going to do her a lot of good. I want her to remember her final days as good ones. Maybe not the best of her life, but good.

I love this dog.... I'm going to miss her so much.
 rosesforyou
Msg: 41
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:50:16 PM
sunrisen

I have lost a pet in the past also. It's very hard to see them get old and know that you have to put them to sleep at some point. You have to do what is best for your dog though, expecially if they are in pain. Animals understand many things and I'm sure your dog knows how much you love them and that you gave them the best life that you could. Words only help so much, it's hard to deal with but keep in mind the life that you have given your pet and all the good times you have shared. Be in prayer and you will get through this.

I'm very sorry about your dog.
 a_stallion
Msg: 42
My dogs died 6x & we got the ashes to keep & have an in
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:52:12 PM
home memorial for each one. Sunrisen...I too had that same battle inside of me regarding euthanism...but the better of the two won...the one that ended the suffering & pain for my beloved pets...Here are some web sites (I search in google "quality of life") to some information about how to tell when the time has come. My own experiences have taught me that most of us wait way too long & prolong the suffering for the dog/cat. It is quality of life that u have to analyze in order to make the best informed decision regarding one of the most compassionate things you will do for your loved one.

All Pets Veterinary Clinic

QUALITY OF LIFE AND THE DECISION TO EUTHANIZE

The decision to pursue additional medical treatments or consider euthanasia for a sick
or chronically ill pet is a hard decision to make for many pet owners. This handout
has been designed to help you consider the quality of life of your pet and to help make
you aware of some of the additional options that exist if it is not the right time for
euthanasia. Answer each of the questions in each section with a yes or no.

PAIN

Pain control is essential. Many animals do not complain in obvious, visible ways
when they hurt. Many animals will hide their discomfort. Consider the following:
____My pet hurts.
____My pet limps. (If it didn’t hurt, they wouldn’t limp.)
____My pet pants frequently, even at rest.
____My pet’s respirations are forced, exaggerated, or otherwise not normal.
____My pet licks repeatedly at one site on his/her body or at a site of a cancer/tumor.
____My pet guards or protects and area of his/her boddy and may snap if that area is
approached or touched.
____My animal’s posture is abnormal or different than normal.
____My pet shakes or trembles sometimes during rest.
____My pet is on pain medication and it doesn’t work.

Possible interventions for yes answers: start pain medication, change pain medications,
combinations of pain medications from different drug classes, surgical intervention,
non-traditional medicine (acupuncture, etc.), treat the underlying disease/condition.

APPETITE

Appetite is one of the most obvious signs of wellness. Most animals are normally
vigorous eaters. Consider the following:
____My pet doesn’t eat his/her normal food anymore.
____My pet picks at his/her food now but never used to do this.
____My pet walks over to his/her food and looks at it but won’t eat or walks away from
the food.
____My pet doesn’t even want “good stuff” (treats, human foods, snacks) anymore.
____My pet acts nauseated or vomits.
____My pet is losing weight.

Possible interventions for yes answers: hand feeding, heating food, adding moisture
by soaking food or using canned varieties, careful addition of human foods, syringe
feeding, stomach tube placement, medications for appetite stimulation, medications
for nausea.

HYDRATION

Hydration status is equally important as appetite. Without adequate water consumption,
your pet can become dehydrated. Dehydration can contribute to weakness and not feeling well.
Consider the following:
____My pet doesn’t drink as much as he/she used to.
____My pet frequently has dry, sticky gums.
____My pet is vomiting or has diarrhea (fluid loss can also contribute to dehydration).

Possible interventions for yes answers: add moisture to the diet, subcutaneous fluid
administration, medications to control vomiting or diarrhea.

HYGIENE

Animals that don’t feel well, especially cats, do not have the energy to maintain
normal hair and skin. Consider the following:
____My cat doesn’t groom herself any more.
____My pets hair is matted, greasy, rough looking, dull, or foul smelling.
____My pet has stool pasted around his/her rectum or in his/her hair.
____My pet smells like urine or has skin irritation from urine.
____My pet has pressure sores/wounds that won’t heal.

Possible interventions for yes answers: regular brushing and grooming, frequent bedding
changes, adequate padding for areas where the pet spends a lot of time, appropriate
wound care, treat the underlying disease/condition.

ACTIVITY/MOBILITY

Changes in normal activity can be due to mobility problems, pain, illness, or aging
(arthritis). Consider the following:
____My pet cannot get up without assistance.
____My pet had a hard time getting around and/or limps.
____My pet lays in one place all day long.
____My pet does not want to play ball, go for walks, or do the things he/she used to do.
____My pet falls frequently.

Possible interventions for yes answers: pain medication addition or adjustment, physical therapy.

HAPPINESS/MENTAL STATUS

Another important area of consideration is the pet’s mental status and happiness. Consider
the following:
____My pet does not express joy and interest in life.
____My pet does not respond to the people that he/she used to respond to.
____My pet does not want to play with toys or do other things that he/she used to enjoy.
____My pet seems dull, not alert, or depressed.

GENERAL BEHAVIOR PATTERNS

Changes in normal behavioral patterns are often a key indicator of how well and animal
feels. Consider the following:
____My pet is hiding or sleeping in odd places.
____My pet doesn’t greet me when I come home and he/she used to.
____My pet is overly clingy and is following me around and he/she never used to do this.
____My other pets are treating this pet differently—they are overly attentive or ignoring
him/her completely.
____My pet doesn’t care about what is going on around him/her.

OWNER PERCEPTIONS

Many times an owner is aware that their pet is suffering but does not want to give up
on their pet. Consider the following:
____I wouldn’t want to live if I were in a similar situation.
____I would be painful if I were in a similar situation.
____I have made appointments for euthanasia for this pet cancelled or didn’t show up.
____I am holding onto this pet for some sentimental reason. (ex. the pet belonged to
a now deceased family member, the pet helped me through a hard time in my life, etc.)
____ My pet is having more bad days than good days.

Count the number of yes and no answers that you have marked. ____Yes ____No

Unfortunately, there isn’t a simple point system or scale that will tell you exactly
what do for your pet. However, the more yes answers you have, the more likely it is
that your pet has a poor quality of life. This list has been significantly expanded
and altered from an article on quality of life. The original scale uses 50% as a cutoff.
If this information is extrapolated, it would imply that more than 21 yes answers means
your pet has a diminished quality of life. If this is the case, you have two options:
1. Make major changes to try to improve your pet’s quality of life (like some of the
things listed above) or 2. Euthanize your pet to relieve his/her suffering.

Please do not hesitate to contact us to further discuss this handout and your pet’s
specific situation.

The information provided is for educational purposes only and is not
intended to take the place of your regular veterinarian. Please do not hesitate
to contact your regular veterinarian if you have questions regarding your pet.

Very loosely adapted from Quality of Life Scale, Veterinary Practice News, June 2006, pg. 24.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen Blakeley, DVM, MPH
1 December 2006

PDF] Quality of Life Scale Helps Make Final Call Most geriatric animals ...File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
The goal in setting up the Quality of Life Scale is to provide a guideline so. that pet owners can maintain a rewarding relationship that nurtures the ...
www.homevet.com/petcare/documents/quality.pdf - Similar pages

Quality of Life ScaleQuality of Life Scale 1 The HHHHHMM Scale. Pet caregivers can use this Quality of Life Scale to determine the success of pawspice care. ...
www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/bond-beyond/quality-of-life-scale.aspx - 46k - Cached - Similar pages

Validity of a health-related quality-of-life scale for dogs with ...quality-of-life scale for dogs with pain secondary to. cancer. Design—Questionnaire development. Animals—40 healthy dogs with no history or signs of ...
avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10.2460/javma.2005.226.1354 - Similar pages

More pets getting end-of-life care - Pet health- msnbc.comFor terminally ill pets, hospice care gives owners an alternative to expensive ... Clients are given a "quality-of-life scale" that rates such things as ...
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22097836/ - 61k - Cached - Similar pages

Quality of Life Checklistto contact your regular veterinarian if you have questions regarding your pet. Very loosely adapted from Quality of Life Scale, Veterinary Practice News, ...
www.allpetsmacomb.com/qualityoflife.html - 9k
 nexthyme
Msg: 43
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:53:05 PM
Ohhhh Sunrisen, my heart and eyes wells with tears as I remember back 7 years ago...

I to had to put down my beloved dog Latte', she was an angel from above... She got pancreatic cancer and went down hill fast in 2002.

I was in the middle of getting to the end of my divorce procedings but the family unit was amicable... We all walked what I call the Green Mile with her... She was so sick that she could hardly move, but still had the grace to relieve herself outside.

She was a Italian Grey hound, American Eskimo mix, and was not a lap dog... However she laid in my lap as we waited for the vet... She gently licked my hand, and I knew she was thanking me for the 9 yrs we had together. I believe she took on all the family pain, and it was time for her to go back to heaven.

We also had/have a young Mini Doxie named Pepper, her and Latte would fight tooth and nail, several times I had to take Latte to be stitched up after they got into it.

After the vets, we took her coffin way up in the mountains where the family used to boat and camp, it is a serene place, and one we had a lot of family fun at.

My son was 5, so he went to where we did the burial (he wasn't at the vets). Pepper tried chewing through the wood in the coffin, and I told my ex she needed to see Latte one last time... He said she didn't know what was going on..

My son told him, he wanted to see her too...Pepper climbed in the coffin and kissed and kissed and kissed Latte... Then when we laid her in her burial hole, Pepper let out the loudest most heart breaking cry....

We Learned that day of the deep love even amoung those that were seen as enemies.

Sunrise, I know you know in your heart what to do, and that is to give peace and comfort to one that can't get it on its own... It brok my heart a million times over, and even to this day, my heart aches... Even now I know that I did the right thing, and remember the gift of gentle love she gave to me, letting me know it really was ok.

Pepper is now 9, and has breast cancer... She's doing pretty good right now, but I do know that soon I will have to take that walk with her too...

If you can handle being with your Moreso when they let him/her go, I think that is a great kindness.. But if not, then know that they will do the best they can, and it is very quick and painless.

My heart and Prayers are with you.... Kate
 nikoblue
Msg: 44
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:57:11 PM
So sorry you have to send your buddy off to Doggy Valhalla. I've had to do that before and it NEVER gets easy. It will hurt, count on it. Don't expect 'non-dog' people to get that either, they won't.

What you have to do is remind yourself that you are giving your dog the gift of being free from continual pain and suffering. Nothing you love deserves to have to exist in that state, lingering on because you might not be able to 'let go'. Sounds like you've figured this out and that's a very good thing. If your vet agrees with your decision and knows that forcing your dog to simply survive without any quality of life would be an incredibly selfish thing for you to do, then steel your resolve, thank her for being such a bright light in your life, and let her go. You will never forget her and will feel pain for awhile initially but the day will come when you can take everything you learned from her about yourself, about dogs, and you'll be ready to pass that on to a new furry friend. Later. For now, solidify your spine, get through it, and let yourself be as sad as you need to about it *afterwards*. I would definently suggest that you not let on to your dog the day you seperate forever that you are freaked out. They may not understand what will go down, but she will understand that YOU are upset and you'll feel guilty about that afterwards. I know it's hard, but you have to try to say good-bye with a smile and telling her what a good dog she is.
 sexyglam1
Msg: 45
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:08:15 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your pain with your dog. I have a dog that I love as a child, so I understand what you are feeling. Even the thought of having to put my dog down breaks my heart, it's a very tough choice either way you choose to go. I don't know if you are a spiritual or religious person, and although I'm not religious, I am spiritual. I would suggest reaching out to a higher power to give you some guidance. I hope that helps.
 countrythroo501
Msg: 46
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:12:08 PM
My heart goes out to you !!
I would like to know ..why..you feel you "have" to do this to your dog ??? Using the words "I have to do this to my dog" concerns me . I deal with euthanasia almost on a weekly basis... I hope no one has made you feel that euthanasia is a "have " to thing . Keeping your beloved pet comfortable is the most important thing !! I will agree with some others opinion that an in home visit is less stressful to you and your dog if euthanasia is the most humane thing you can offer your pet .

Time is the greatest gift your companion has given .... may you find comfort in the memories of time shared .. always
 dnguyen4
Msg: 47
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 9:26:59 PM
Sorry to hear that, I was really sad when my dog pass away. I had it for about 5 years only, but it got ran over. I came home from school and saw it just laying there. I even cry to. My uncle also have a rottweiler that was 14 years old? I don't even think their average lifespan is that long. Well it was still ok, but it had hip displasia. He try to feed it but it stop eating. It would always try to drag its body whenever my uncle fome home from work. He cant stand to see it in such a pain, so he had to make the decision to put it to sleep. Not a very easy thing to do. Animals have very deep feelings for their owners. My mom just gave one of the 5 chihuahua puppies to her friend today. We took care of them for 3 months, but have to give them away due to many dogs. Guess what it was all happy when my mom was there with it. I think he thinks that my mom just taking to her friend to show him off lol. Well when my mom walk out the door he ran after her. After my mom got home, her friend call and say he been crying even when they let him sleep with them. Thats for only 3 months, imagine having them for years!! I think animals have more feelings for ther owner, than the owner having feelings for them as the number of stray animals increase.
 Pink Lillies
Msg: 48
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/19/2008 11:37:33 PM
In 2003 when I was 13 years old I had a beautiful family pet, a German Shepherd Bit*h named Jedda. She got sick in early April but I just thought it was old age (mum and dad knew it wasnt , they had discussed wether to put her to sleep or get her operated on, which she was too old anyway and wouldn't have survived, me being a kid I wanted them to try save her). I was going away for holidays in a few days with my dad and little sister to Elliston for a fishing trip. The day I left to go away, my beloved dog, my best friend couldn't walk, mum had to drag her across the driveway and move her to get her car out. 3 days into the holiday, I got on a pay phone to call mum to say hello and see if Jedda was okay. Mum said "she is fine, she is getting stronger and better every day". So I went back to enjoying myself. When I got home 2 days later on April 17th, I ran to the back gate hoping my big hairy stinker (play name for Jedda, from my dad) would come running to the gate, panting and tail wagging proudly. But she didn't and I heard digging out the very back of the yard so I went out the back and saw mum digging a hole. I asked her what she was doing, then I looked over to the left of her and saw Jeddas back paws and an ear and half of her nose poking out of a white sheet. I started screaming "you lied mum you said she was okay!". I turned around and ran inside screaming. Mums friend followed me inside and grabbed me trying to calm me down. I was in a state. I was too upset. I couldn't think - eat - drink - breathe. It really messed me up.

She was my only friend, I dealt with mild autisim as a child and I didn't have any human friends, my whole world came crashing down. I had to see child phychologists after that. A child seeing that was horrible. When I started high school, I used to cry nearly every day. I got sent home several times. I had to see school councillors.

To this day I still get upset over my dog, I remember every detail of that day I came home, when mum lied, the 4 foot hole mum dug, the white bed sheet, everything.

I am older now and have a much better understanding why they put Jedda down, I miss her a fu*king heck of a lot, I loved her so much, and learnt that sometimes if you love something/someone so much, then do what's best for them.
 Blueeyedbaldman
Msg: 49
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 3:09:41 AM
Dear sunrisen, just like in all the other posts I feel for you. I have had to do this one time and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. In the end though and looking back it was the best thing I could have done to show my love for my dog. If you ever need someone to talk to I am here for you as Im sure anyone else who has posted on here. God bless. Mario
 climbsagain
Msg: 50
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 3:44:27 AM
I lost a cat and it was very upsetting. Now that I can look back I know that the best thing I could have done for my little buddy was to let him die. Most likely he was in pain and the quality of life was difficult for him. Consider what is best dor the dog and know you ar doing what is best. Good luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying