Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TishaG
Msg: 51
My dog is dyingPage 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Sunrisen,
I'm so sorry. I understand what you are going through. I had to put down my beloved pomeranian, Fozzie Bear last February. He was my baby. All I can tell you is you are not doing the right thing for your heart..but you are doing the right thing for your dog. And thinking of someone or something else's well being before your own is selfless. It is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I still cry sometimes when I look at his lil face in pics. Tears fell the moment I read your posting, because I know what you are about to feel. You will second guess yourself the whole time while it is happening..and you will when it's over. That is normal. The mind knows that logically..you are saving your beloved pet from suffering..but your heart refuses to accept that you have the RIGHT to make this decision. I mean..after all..we tend to think God is the only one who has the right to make such decisons (if you believe). I'm not trying to get into any kind of religious discussion..just guessing that I know what you are feeling inside.
There is a website called www.rainbowbridge.com that helps with pet loss. You can leave memorials and chat with others who are going through the same thing. The story of the bridge is a story of hope. I know..alot may say it's a bunch of hogwash..but sometimes believing in something that gives us hope...eases pain.
I know it's hard..but don't let your pet suffer. They had a wonderful life with you and know you love them. You'll be in my thoughts today. And if you need a friend to talk to..feel free to message me.
Hugs
Tisha
 cupidsangelfromabove
Msg: 52
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:01:18 AM
hi february last year i adopted a puppy at 12 weeks old after a week she was realy sick and i was spending a fortune at the vets having tests done 3 times a week by the fourth week id had her she died it was parvo. that was the hardest thing i had to go through but worst was yet to come my 4 month old kitten thought of my puppy as his best friend so when she died he stopped eating and lost the will to live and i had to watch him slowly fade away i didnt want another pet but i spent 2 weeks looking for another kitten to keep him company in which he then got better but no other animal can replace one you have loved and lost.

it is hard losing a pet even though it has been a year i still miss her terribly and it still upsets me that she suffered when she died but she is in a better place and not suffering anymore.
 prefertetley
Msg: 53
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:03:54 AM
I lost my beloved labrador last November to cancer . It was heartbreaking. When I first found out how ill he was the vet wanted to put him to sleep there and then, but I said no. He wasn't in any pain and was still eating and wanting to go out for his walks. So Itook him home and gave him all the love that I could give, really spoilt him.Then one morning in November he just looked at me and I knew it was time. I stayed with him and held him in my arms untill he had gone. It's a very hard decision to make but you have got to think about your dog and the pain she could be in. It was very traumatic for me because I had only lost my partner in the April and Tyson was his dog. My heart goes out to you but you are doing the right thing......Take care....
 engel4u
Msg: 54
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:30:09 AM
You know you gave your dog the best, loving life possible and this is probably one of the most loving things you can do.
Think of all the fun, happy times you had.
You will cry and feel sad - but you are doing the right thing.
I hate to see animals suffering and personally, would rather end their suffering quickly - knowing it was in their best interest. x
 amorto
Msg: 55
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 4:57:31 AM
MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU MY DOGS ARE NEARING 15 YEARS AND THE RETRIEVER IS FALTERING BACK LEGS GOING ,STRUGGLING TO GET UP AND I WORRY EVERY DAY I AM HOLDING ON FOR MY SAKE NOT HIS ,IT IS SUCH A DELEMMA .WHAT I HAVE DECIDED TO DO IS WHILE HE IS EATING AND DRINKING AND MANAGING TO GET UP WITH HELP...HE STILLS TRY TO CHASE CATS OR BARK AT THEM , WE WILL SOLDIER ON TOGETHER .BUT AS SOON AS HE SHOWS PAIN OR DISTRESS I AM GOING TO HAVE TO BE STRONG FOR HIS SAKE.. SO BE STRONG REMEMBER ALL THE ANIMAL HAS BEEN TO YOU AND DO WHAT IS BEST .TAKE CARE. AMORTO
 kgirl123
Msg: 56
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:28:01 AM
Sunrisen.....
I'm wiping the tears off the keyboard as I read your words and the words of the other posters. What a sad, sad time for you. It's hard to know when that 'right' time is, isn't it? That time when you must say goodbye forever to that loved four-legged furry bestfriend. Maybe their eyes will tell you, maybe their actions will. You know your friend better than anyone; use this knowledge. Maybe you need an extra day, an extra hour, an extra five minutes with him....well, take it. Hug him, love him, cover him with your tears; tell him he was the BEST and you will never forget him...because you won't ever forget. They stay in your heart and mind forever.

I'm mourning the loss of one of my two best buddies, just two weeks ago. I knew it was the right time....he told me with his actions. We laid on the bed for a couple of hours before our last trip to the vet's office, his head on my lap, my tears giving him his last bath, my words telling him he was the best doggie friend a gal could hope for. It was the right time. And now he is prancing and licking and wagging his tail somewhere else...spreading his joy. ...... I miss you dex ..... but i don't forget you.
 skyhugs
Msg: 57
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:29:01 AM
I am so sad for you OP !!!
Please don't let your dog suffer.
My children and I had to put our dog 'down' in October and although it was HEART BREAKING, it was the last thing I could do for him OUT OF LOVE.
No animal (or human) should have to be in pain or die a slow death...
Please look at it from an unselfish standpoint...
If you love him, please don't let him suffer one more day.
Bless you and your dog !!!
 dreamcatcher39
Msg: 58
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 6:39:28 AM
Sorry for your pain op. I think you have to do what you have to do. It is just too bad we didnt have the same compassion for people.
 bikerchick73
Msg: 59
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 6:44:16 AM
I had to have 3 pets put to sleep it hurt to do it but it was for the best...if your dog is suffering you need to relieve her pain!
 kariharte
Msg: 60
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 7:06:52 AM
Sunrisen

I had two cats, one that my long ago bf brought home for me in 1991 and the biggest baby she bore in 1993.

They were my babies for life, I made descions not to move to HI because of them.

Sadly, the mamma kitty suffered from heart failure one weekend and I did all I could to keep her alive, to the tune of 700.00. I didn't want to put her down or make that descion on my own (as I was alone at the time).

By Sunday the vet told me she was dying and I should come again.. I did and they let me in the back and she was in so much pain, she reached out to me as she usually did and they asked if I wanted them to help her along. AT that point I said yes. It was over quickly. I felt bad that I had not been a better mom, but the vet originally told me on Friday she was not that bad off. This all happened in 2004.

Her baby kitty, my Sammy, started to lose weight in April of last year, around the time of the pet food recalls. He would get a bit better then worse. I took him to the vet in Sept ( I was afraid to do it sooner as I was sure they would say I had to 'put him down'.. as long as he was still hunting and enjoying life, I didn't want to do that.. I was also being selfish).

All together I had those two in my life for 16 years, at times when I had nobody.

When Sammy really started failing... I didn't have the money to even have him put down. My roommate leant me the money and went with me and the vet was very kind and we buried him in the backyard and I miss him soo still. This all happened in late October last year.

I think differently now with ailing loved ones, than I did with Cameo (momma kitty). When they are unable to live a good life, let them go in a loving way.

I miss having my companions greatly, but I am glad that they are in a better place.

BTW - my niece (a HUGE cat lover) and my roomie as well tried to give me a new kitty. I am still not ready for that.

Best of luck to you.. I know it is hard.
 william756
Msg: 61
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 7:21:47 AM
Hello Sunrisen,
I know the pain, anguish and sorrow your going through. I had my little Chihuahua “Tika” who was only seven years old put to sleep. It was to me totally devastating. I still remember her looking back at me with that “help me” look as they carried her away. I cried for days. People were like it was only a dog. But they just didn’t understand the unconditional love a pet gives to you. I miss her very much. And probably always will. If you can find a copy or the poem “Rainbow Bridge” read it. It just might help ease you pain…………..
 sunrisen
Msg: 62
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 9:55:14 PM
I want to thank everyone for their support and their stories. It hurts a lot to think of my dog not being there when I get home but I think its her time to go... she's in so much pain and she can barely move. For those of you curious- she has cancer and it has attacked her immune system, her defences being considerably down, she now has an infection in her abdomen thats filled her with so much pus it's now leaking out of her... She's gone blind and all this happened without any of us being aware- her last vet visit was three months ago, I don't know how she went from being so healthy to this in so short a time.

Thank You all very much- while it is still fresh and painful for me I know all of you have felt or are still feeling your losses... This is my first and I think my last pet of her caliber- I still have a gecko to look after, after all.
 nexthyme
Msg: 63
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:21:10 PM
Ohhhh I am so sorry... I know it is so hard when it happens so suddenly, and you wondered if your had known if it could have been fixed... That happened to Latte' too.. I had her in the Vets 3 months before, and in my heart I knew that something was wrong, but he said no everything was fine... The beginning of July I had to let her go.

It is really bad when the immune system goes down.

I still miss her under my desk at my feet... In my heart I believe she is still there. She will be there with other pets of mine that passed before, waiting for me to come home on the other side...

You have been a great pet mom, don't ever doubt that... Time in pets happens different then with people, that is why things can happen so fast. For her it has been a long trek. 1 minute in human life is 43 in a dogs life...

My sincerest thoughts during your time of deep pain... Kate
 Paint_by_numbers
Msg: 64
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:35:44 PM
Sunrisen,
I am going through the same thing right now.
My ex has 'custody' of our border collie, Panda. On April 2nd she will be 14 yrs old. One year ago from last Christmas, she became ill (prob'ly a mild stroke) but she recovered (for the most part) a little clumsy at times but still was doing well. During these past few weeks, she has not been feeling well. To make a long story short...we are now having to make plans for her final days...and that day will be here sooner, rather than later!
Most dogs/pets dont like going to the vet...Panda is no exception. So, I've told my ex that I will do whatever it takes to get our vet (or any vet...a farm vet will come) to come to his house where she is familiar and comfortable. I dont want her to have to go through any extra and unnecessary stress. I have, however, heard the occasional horror story...about the vet not bringing enough of "whatever it is they use" and having to leave to get more after the first, initial injection. So, if this is the route you want to take...make sure ahead of time. Sorry to sound 'morbid' but if you're like me and my family...we want to be prepared in all aspects.
I'm not entirely sure of the procedure...not sure if its normal to sedate your pet first...but this is also something that I'm going to request...sedate my dog...so that she is unconscious and at peace...then give her the final injection.
I've been trying to spend as much time as possible with her lately (taking her for walks etc) and when I'm with her...I find myself in tears and very sad at the thought of her being 'gone'
But we have to know in our hearts that euthanasia is the right thing to do...we dont want our pets to suffer needlessly! And even though I'll be an emotional wreck...I will be with her till the end when its time for us to say goodbye.
Even though she seemed to enjoy her walk yesterday...she still came home and then just lied there...not even a wag in her tail. I know her day is coming soon.
I went home and started to write a poem...its not finished yet...otherwise, I'd share.
In the meantime...just know that there are many people out there who have gone through the same thing...or like me...are going through it at the same time! If it helps to 'talk' please feel free to message me!
Kelly
PS...sorry this is long!!
 bwkboy
Msg: 65
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/20/2008 10:39:51 PM
Hello sunrisen,
I know exactly what your going through, I had to get my blue heeler dog ( sniff ) put down dew to cancer, She's all I had and she was like a daughter to me, we went every where together and she was only 7 years old. The best thing i did was to take advice from me vet and got another dog asap, it took a while for me to even like the new dog but now I wouldn't part with her. Again, she's all I got and she's like a daughter to me.
All my sympathy to you, know its hard, chin up girl.
 Larissan04
Msg: 66
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 12:53:34 AM
i am sorry for your loss. i just lost a beloved cat that i had had for fourteen years... well, actually it didn't JUST happen, but it still feels fresh to me. she died on feb 7th of last year, so the one year aniversary has passed. i know the death of a pet can be very difficult. hang in there. just do what you believe is best for you. personally, i don't think i could have put my cat down, and am glad that she passed away due to surgical complications... but you know what is best... listen to yourself..

hugs to you!

lar
 air flow 4
Msg: 67
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 1:52:27 AM
just want u to know that ive been a animal lover ever since i was a well i cant remember how far back,
Not my choice and we didnt write the book on life and death but we a have to deal with the rules. And one is that we are all going to lose loved ones on your journey through this life. Along the way we have to make decsions and actions that make us sad and wish life could go on for ever. My suggeston is to keep your puppy alive as long as u can and more importanlty as long as your friend isnt suffering if he is eating and drinking and going out or those not long enough walks. But when the time comes ask your vet for a tranquilizing pill, give it to your puppy at home so they fall asleep there, then make the trek to the vet and if u can stay with your pet while there being put down , in this way i feel u can look death straight on and deal with there. if u feel like crying dont hold back its a feeling we have to let out.
you will see your puppy again !! and they wil always be in your heart!!
stays strong and remember the years u had with them,,
 sleepyfox
Msg: 68
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 2:02:01 AM
Hi I had to have my Airedale called Duke put down last month because he was loosing the feeling in his rear legs from a problem with his spine.
He was the best dog I have ever had the pleasure of caring for. He was 10 years old and uneutered but was extremely smart and placid.
I felt very guilty about having him put to sleep because he was happy and quite normal but he had to crawl everywhere and for a dog that weighed 35kg it was just sad to watch him.
A few days later my wife walked out on me after 31 years. Really no connection but I was hurting for a while.
But now that I can look back I know that I did the right thing putting Duke to sleep because not only did he have to crawl with my help but he was on massive doses of pain killers which is no life for a dog that was used to running and playing.
The hardest thing for me was when I took him outside to go to the toilet, he would just sit there and stare out into space like he knew that his time was comming to an end.
I kept his teddy bear that he had for many years and like to smell him now and then, but I will never forget him
 ataroa
Msg: 69
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 2:34:51 AM
my heart goes out to you and yes i've had to have it done twice but i know it was the right thing to do. cried all the way to the vets and back but don't rush out and get another one just yet take your time.
thinking of you
 ladyseitz
Msg: 70
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 2:41:05 AM
I had to have a dog put down a few years ago due to cancer, and am still not over it. The one I have now I have to give two insulin shots a day, and has been a nightmare, but at least I still have him. I have always said there is a special place in heaven for all of us who love our dogs soooo much. My sympathy goes to you!!
 vibrant1
Msg: 71
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 3:18:31 AM
I have loved and lost several great dogs in my life.Several years ago I had to put one of my dogs down we rushed him to the vet after a great ordeal with him at home. I had owned him since he was a pup and I am crying just remembering that day Any way we got to the vet the conclusion was he was old and suffering a great deal and had been for a few years the vet convinced me to put him down my oldest daughter was there an adult child We went with him she stood by the door and wept I stuck by him during the procedure and reassured our beloved pet through out and pet him and told him what a great dog he was and that we loved him and then he slipped away. the vet sent us a sympathy card about meeting your pets on the other side. At the time we had another dog that since has passed he Just wondered of to a room laid down and died its aways tough to lose them. On a brighter note I have a 1 year old dog I adopted from pound as pup and he's great. My 12 year old says the dog sure is good for our moral.
 rubysmom
Msg: 72
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 3:41:47 AM
Hi,

I'm so sorry about your dog. I know how it feels. I've had five dogs that all had to be put down. It's a heart wrenching experience. I have a dog right now that I adopted 7 years ago from NY. , site unseen. She's 13 now and she was diagnosed with cancer about six months ago and also Cushings desease and just recently with Diabetes. She's a beautiful dog, she's my baby. I live alone and she's all I have to come home to. I love her so much and know that it's just a matter of time when she will leave me. My tears are flowing now as I write this to you so I know your pain.

I try to think everyday to Celebrate Life, every moment that I have with her is a blessing. Just know that you are in my prayers and remember all the good times you've had with your baby. You will never forget them but will always have them in your heart. Be happy that you've been able to share their life and could love them. They are so precious and deserve all the love you can give.
 Sarge988
Msg: 73
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 3:44:14 AM
hey buddy, im sooo sorry, i know what it is like, my dog molly of 13 years was put down last month, and i was in work when it happened and couldn't get out of work, i don't mind telling you ive seen people close to me friends colleges die, but losing my dog and not being there when it happened destroyed me, i went mental, i was breaking things left and right, couldn't stop crying, and i haven't cried since i was 9 years old. i know her being put down was the right thing to do, as she was suffering so much it would have been cruel to keep her alive, as much as i didn't want to make the decision.

my advice to you mate is be with your dog as much as you can now, while you can, its going to hurt like hell, ill not lie to you, but if your dog needs to be put down its for the best or the vet wouldn't suggest it.

hope you cope ok mate
good luck!!
 SapphirePoet
Msg: 74
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 4:00:54 AM
Sunrisen my heart goes out to you hun.
It is the best thing to do and you know it you are just not wanting to let her go and that is normal.
Last year I had to put down my beloved dog Gizmo that was 14 years old. I had had him since he was 7 weeks and could fit in the palm of your hand. He was 8 ounces when I got him.
I was devastated.
He was the best friend I ever had and I could not bring myself to take him to the vet to have it done. My oldest daughter had to do it for me. I could barely function. I felt like I was killing my son.
It is such a deliberate act to put them to sleep verses them dying on their own and I felt guilty for quite some time about it. However, you have to keep telling yourself it is for the best. To end her misery.
We had him cremated and my daughter has his ashes at her apartment for I still can't bear to see them.
Just make sure they give her a narcotic to put her in la la land before the actaul injection. It is much more humane to do it that way. Not all vets do it this way so ask for it.
It does get better over time.
I got a new puppy 3 months later and it really does help to fill the void and have somewhere to put all that love you have for her.
Take Care
Deb
 rasputing
Msg: 75
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 4:24:38 AM
i know how hard to loose a four legged friend i had to have one of mine put down i had five he was going blind and had a few problem`s so i had no choice i prefere my four legged dogs then two legged humans they dont let me down and give me grief i live for my dogs they make me laugh i stopped looking for girl to love has i been let down so i just live for my dog`si do beleave that dog go`s to haven if not i all way`s have my dog
i lost because he saved my life once
r i p Jetto
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying