Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kazra 7
Msg: 76
My dog is dyingPage 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
So sorry to hear about your dog. my dog means the world to me. I lost my retriever and it was devastating. Years later I bought a German Shepherd who I still have and worry about every day.
Make sure you have some supportive friends around you who understand how important your dog is to you.
I went away straight after I lost my dog, and had to concentrate on travelling.
Be kind to yourself and Im sending you big hugs.

Kazra xxxx
 vibrant1
Msg: 77
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 4:36:14 AM
YES that is the poem we got from our vet RAINBOW BRIDGE ........sunrisen thats a great poem and its such a beautiful thought take the time to find it and read it it should help you through the grieving process.Also the knowledge that grief is a sign that we have loved and been loved. Peace be with you
 Peekamoose
Msg: 78
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 4:40:49 AM
I had to put my dog Mike down this past January 2nd.....the hardest thing I've ever done.He traveled cross country with me a couple of times.He played in the snows of woodstock NY,hiked in the desert of Arizona and kayaked in Florida.He was 14.I adopted him 9 years ago and he was already 5 years old and partially blind.I had his eyes operated on.He had been abused the first 5 years of his life yet was the most loving dog I ever met.
He was in my arms as he died in the vets office.My words to him were 'thank you".
I miss him dearly,but when we have pets we know we outlive them.Say thanks for the good times and do the tough,brave and right thing.
 cautiouslady
Msg: 79
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 4:42:56 AM
I am so sorry for you...I have never had to put one down but a neighbor killed my dog a few years ago and told me several days later after he had thrown him away. I was devastated and so angry. I still miss him. My heart goes out to you!
 HazeDaze
Msg: 80
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 4:52:17 AM
I have a 15 year old beagle named Casey, who I had since he was 5 weeks. He is my best friend but I know he is beginning to fail and will not be with me much longer. He lost his hearing several years ago but his quality of life is still good.
I think the best thing to do is keep remembering the good times you have been through and know that your pet is going to be free of pain and discomfort.
Be thankful for having him, not sorry for losing him.
 normalguy2008
Msg: 81
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:07:13 AM
yeh its awful.feel bad for u.i lost my cat boots after 8 yrs.i got him from a rescue centre with his sister aged 8.he d been a bit messy lately, not using his litter tray at times and generally lazy.i didnt realise he was dying until one day he was just lying on the dryer gasping.i felt bad he must have suffered a lot during those last days.But i gave him a good 8 yrs he might not have had.have had thoughts whether to get another pet.its not normal to be so attached to a pet is it?i was gutted
 Fran1957
Msg: 82
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:12:18 AM
To sunrisen, First I'm sorry about your dog. I'm sure sure she's your baby. I had to have my Lady put down, she had cancer. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Even though I miss her dearly I know she's not in any pain. You won't be killing her per say but helping her with the pain she's in . You'll be letting her rest and sleep.
Just remember all the love she gave you and the love you have for her.
Good luck, I know it 's not going to easy
Fran1957
 TheReason_
Msg: 83
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:16:53 AM
A Dog's Prayer
By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no
heart in all the world is more grateful
for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick,
for though I should lick your hand between the
blows, your patience and understanding will
more quickly teach me the things you would
have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the
world's sweetest music, as you must know by
the fierce wagging of my tail when your
footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me
inside, for I am now a domesticated animal,
no longer used to bitter elements.
And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of
sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Though had you no home, I would rather
follow you through ice and snow than rest
upon the softest pillow in the warmest home
in all the land, for you are my god and I am
your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water,
for although I should not reproach you were it
dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food, that I may stay well,
to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk
by your side, and stand ready, willing and
able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master
see fit to deprive me of my health or sight,
do not turn me away from you. Rather,
hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands
grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest -
and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest
in your hand
 Kountry Gal
Msg: 84
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:35:33 AM
Wow, I ran across this message board, and it made me start thinking of my 2 pets I had lossed a year ago.
Beener's, my dog was 14 yrs old, and we had her since she was a puppy. Most faithful dog I have ever met. She even survived congestive heart failure 9 yrs ago. But her hips had given out on her, and she was suffering, and I could tell it was her time to go be with our lord.
Mookie, my cat was my pillow mate for 19 yrs . He started getting sick the same time we had to put our dog down... liver failure.
Sometime's at night, I still think I can hear him purring on my pillow as im laying there trying to sleep with out him.
I still have my horse, that I have owned since he was also a baby. He is 15 yrs old now.
So far he is doing great, and im hoping to get another 10 yrs out of him being in our live's.
But letting go and saying good bye is such a hard thing to do.
Life is very precious...

Sorry to hear about everyone else's lose as well.
 ladysassy
Msg: 85
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:37:15 AM
Hi a few months ago , I had to put my dog to sleep,so i know how you feel.
I had a Sheltie and he had a seizure in the middle of the night only 6 years old . So it was the hardest thing i had done, Just yesterday i said i miss him so much. Take care with your decision and give yourself the time to moarn. Ladysassy
 farmgirl1967
Msg: 86
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:44:36 AM
Ohhh yes, I have been in your shoes, and it is very hard. My sister's dog had cancer and I was there t o help the vets. For her Dobie, it was the right thing because she could hardly walk, but to look at her laying on the couch b4 we put her down it was like nothing was wrong, but you could see the pain in her eyes. It is hard at the time and for some time after, but you will have memories and pics. When my horse passed I made a plac (I know I cant spell ) with his pictures and I got part of his tail and braided it and put it with the pictures and I got a poem off the internet. I guess time will heal your heart, but I understand what you are going through. Take care Farmgirl
 lonesome wonderer
Msg: 87
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 5:54:10 AM
@the reason, thank you for the poem "a dog's prayer" i just copied it and i'm going to print it up for my neighbor and i.

sunrisen, it's the hardest thing with putting an animal down, don't feel guilt, feel the love in your heart that she's no longer suffering. 11 days after my birthday last year i had to put my one and only best friend down. since i wasn't able to handle the fact of watching her drift off to sleep my father had taken her in for me. i've been and still am going through a lot of physical problems as well as stress and wasn't able to handle that along with it. when i got her less than 2 years ago i promised her that she would never be hurt or hurt again. she was a 4yr old pitbull (when i got her) that was abused, left out in the rain, snow, and heat during the day and thrown into a crate at nite, she has a scar on her head from the former owner hitting her with a pipe. she was like a kid in the toy store when she came into my home and she had all the love and attention that she never had before. diamond girl had a tumor on her left front leg that was starting to prevent her from putting the weight on it, 3 days before she was put to rest (at the age of 6) her right hip gave out on her and she wasn't able to walk right. i'm having problems right now being partially disable and working to get the use of my left arm back and i wasn't able to pick her up to carry her outside. i couldn't see her suffer no longer. my brother gave me the money to have her euthenized and a private cremation, i have an 8x10 pic of her framed, a shelf with her ashes in a chest sitting on it along with her favorite toy. the poem that the reason posted is also going to be framed and put with her. she was my one and only best friend, she stood beside me while i had fits of anger and tears, she might not be here with me in body but she's here with me in spirit.

i had a few animals that either died in my parents' house, had to be laid to rest, even my horse died in my arms after being hit by a car. it's sad, it hurts, but i was told that they're also waiting for us when we pass on.

just remember that you're not killing her but your loving her even more with not allowing her to suffer. it's always the love that we have for our animals to not allow them to suffer, don't confuse that with guilt...never do that.

oh, there's a site called rainbow bridge that you can go to and post a pic and something about your dog, they have a monday nite candle lighting ceremony for each of the animals....it's nice, they also have people that you can talk to as well.

www.rainbowbridge.com

keep smiling girlfriend, your 4 legged angel is watching you.
 deadhed1958
Msg: 88
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 6:19:08 AM
I lost my Pal Kato lat spring He was a 15 yr old American Eskimo Had him for 10yrs. Got hiom from the pound when he was 5 In the last year of his life He developed diabetes. I diod what I could for him but in the ebmd old age & diabetes took him from me He went doing what he loved best being outside playing in the yard with me. It was hard to see him go. & I still miss him even though I have another dog now. Kato waas my best buddie Always happy to see me & wanting to play right up til the end Strange as it may seem in his last days he would lok forward to his daily insulin shot & knew when it was time for it. He would head for the fridge & remind me that it wastime for him to get it. I feel for you I know how hard of a decicion this can be
 holeinoneusa
Msg: 89
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 6:32:08 AM
Sunrisen- My beautiful sweet Golden Retriever collapsed and died in my arms on Monday this week. My heart is broken. I've also had to put down dogs and cats over the years including one of my cats a month ago due to his old age and many illnesses. It's never easy to do and is the greatest act of love that you can do for your pet. I held my cat in my arms and talked to him as his time here ended.
It's just part of owning a pet to know that this day comes and you can't do anything about it. You must be strong at this time and know in your heart that this is the best thing for the animal and this is the time to do it.
My heart goes out to you. Best Wishes.
 Kasinda
Msg: 90
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 9:18:08 AM
I have had to put my beloveds down before and it is very hard. However, is it fair to them to let them suffer after all the love and affection they have given you over their lives? If you can answer that honestly then you will do the right thing.
 kewldoc
Msg: 91
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 8:53:39 PM
Wow all this is difficult to read; I can just feel the agony of the people that have contributed here... sniff, sniff......

In the midst of a tragic loss of big draft horse a couple of years ago, I witnessed the most amazing thing. On Christmas morning, of all cruel things, I found him dead of a cardiac arrest. He was part of a six horse team, & all the others were standing around pawing at him, as if to say, "Get up Deacon; Get up!" Due to his size, I had to call a big backhoe to bury him and a big lift to carry him to the grave site by the little lake. As the crane was lifting him up for the 1/4 mile ride to the lake, the remaining 5 horses went into their usual hitch formation behind the crane, with a vacant spot where Deacon usually walked. They slowly walked like that, behind the crane, the entire distance. When the crane arrived at the grave, they lined up in a straight line as he was lowered into the grave. There were probably 20 people in the field helping; we were all wiping tears and looking at each other in disbelief as we watched this scene.

If anyone ever doubted the spirituality of animals, this made a believer out of them. I strangely felt some comfort from their actions; it was like they were silently saying, "Hey Dad, we're hurting too...."
 growlbear
Msg: 92
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 9:28:03 PM
I write this with tears in my eyes. I loved my dog and still do but loving him as much as I did I couldn't stand to see him suffer so the vet put him down as I held him . It was the hardest thing I have had to do but doing the right thing is what you do when you love something. Its been years since but the memory of it still make me cry. growlbear
 Solitarygal
Msg: 93
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 9:45:21 PM
OP I am sorry about your pet. I have had a young dog die while
lying on the Vet's table being treated. Poor soul could not hang on.

More recently (3 years ago) I had to put down a much loved kitty.
She was sixteen, not really that old for a cat but I so hated the
thought of losing her that I left it until the very last moment, when
she weighed literally nothing ~ a very selfish act on my part.

I do feel guilt, a lot of it, for allowing her to suffer so long. Rest
assured time does heal and you are left with wonderful memories.

Brazos, Sol
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 94
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 9:48:21 PM
((((((((((HUGZ))))))))))))

I said goodbye to my beautiful white cat 2 years ago. Nicky was 11, and I didn't know he had a massive tumour because he never seemed to be hurting. By the time I knew he was sick, it was too late.

I stayed with him as the vet put him to sleep, and I will never regret that choice, but the actual necessity was horrible, and I must have cried for months.

If you haven't already read it, this is the "Rainbow Bridge" poem.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
----------------------------------
Author unknown.
 WickedNRed
Msg: 95
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:02:55 PM

Brightest Blessings!
 Ghost Shadow
Msg: 96
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:23:34 PM
yes friend, I've put down three. The first was a pom mix I found, she was my sobriety dog, lived for 15 yrs, then her poor body began to give out, it was hard seeing her so sick but harder to let her go, I kept thinking she should live out her natural life. Wrong! I realized too late I was being selfish and finally took her in, she died in my arms, I bundled her up and brought her home and buried her in the back yard.

A few years later I'd brought home a small white shepherd, found her at a store where a kid was trying to find homes for three pups. I tucker her in my jacket and we rode home on my motorcycle, a four hour ride. I trained her to hand commands and she loved me unquestioningly, She too grew old and her back legs gave out so she couldn't go outside and do her thing. I took her in as soon as I knew it was time and she too died in my arms. She is also buried next to her older little friend.

Last was my chow, he was like me in so many ways, chows take to one person and that's it. He was not as trainable, very independent and very possessive of his back yard. He chose when he wanted love and when he wanted to be left alone. His stomach started to give out, took him in for surgery which helped for about six months, he was going downhill but still capable. When the time came I again took him in, he took his last breath while i was holding his head. He has joined the other two in the back yard.

These devoted animals love us unconditionally, we may get upset with them and they'll cower but they'll come just as quickly as we call them again. They are there when no one else is, they love to have fun with us, playfully or just lay with us when we are down, being quiet and maybe even licking our hands or faces. They trust us and therein lies the lesson I learned. They trust us not to let them suffer needlessly, to get them checked on as soon as possible, and if we find they can't go on, they trust that we'll let them go out in dignity and that we'll be there for them till the end.

You bet I cried, when they took their last breath, when I wrapped them up and thanked the vets, when I talked to their bodies as I drove home and when I layed them in their final resting place. I sat on the ground and reviewed their lives and thanked God, and them, for giving me so much of their lives. Then I got up and keep them in my memory and when I can I talk about them.

Today I have two cats I got as feral kittens at the yard where I work, one got mauled by raccoons last summer. One rear paw broken in three places, tooth holes in six, four ruptures of the stomach and still he dragged himself home after five days alone out there. Surgery cost lots but I had to give him a chance, saved his leg, lost part of his tummy, everything else healed. He's an indoor cat now and so is his sister.

I may get a couple of dogs later in the year, I love to train them to silent commands, and they love to play. I know you will hurt, my friend, but always remember the great times your pet gave you, and give it the dignity not to suffer needlessly, be there when it's time, you won't regret it... and don't worry about the vet and staff seeing you cry, it's normal and they see it all the time.

God bless
 TXZN
Msg: 97
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:23:49 PM

It is a hard decision... but if you really love your pet you will not let them suffer. You will give them a dignified, painless death... ideally with you there stroking them and telling them you love them.
It's the least someone can do for a lifetime of loyalty (be it 2 months or 20 years) - I assure that if the roles were reversed & you were dieing she would be there until the end for you.
It's one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life but the idea of letting someone I love die alone when I have the option of being there gave me the courage to answer the call of duty.
 SonoraDreamin
Msg: 98
view profile
History
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:24:49 PM
Sunrisen...put on your walkin shoes and grab the leash...if your dog is healthy enough that is...take a walk where you know he/she enjoyed to play over the years...take a ride in the car with the window down...make a gourmet supper both of you can share...make it the most enjoyable end to life you can for the poor thing. If you do this...take photos of every bit of time you spend together...not only will it give you a sense of closure its a kind way to say goodbye. I hope this helps
 yoodle
Msg: 99
view profile
History
My kitten had FIP
Posted: 2/21/2008 10:25:41 PM
I had a Siamese who contracted FIP (like kitty AIDS), presumably exacerbated by vaccinations and then being neutered (or spayed) (both take a heavy toll on just surviving. I called her my little harbor seal (wet FIP causes the body cavity to fill with fluid). I feel horrible just typing this, remembering, and she was nuts about me, she slept under my chin, if you can imagine.

When the morning broke (about this time of year) and I knew she wasn't going to recover (I spent $$$$ on drugs, and concoctions), I called the vet, and I couldn't talk...just stood there blubbering, crying. I was ushered into a room, and they let me hold her for her last breath. Pretty bad, but a relief. I buried Emily in my yard and she has come out in the bright apricot colored roses I planted oe'r her.
 Solarpanel
Msg: 100
My dog is dying
Posted: 2/22/2008 12:06:00 AM
We all talk of the pain of loss but 'planned loss' can seem even stranger.

It seems to be wrong but is actually a natural process.

One thing I know about dogs is their love is unconditional (as long as you treat them right) and it's rare to have that and of course we love 'em for it. Sorry about your being in this difficult stage, OP.

Today I've written to 3 of my 4 adult children to tell them I'm ending my relationships with them (something I've been trying to avoid for 28 years) as I've recently allowed myself to face up to the fact they're abusive towards me - viciously so - but I wouldn't allow myself to give up on the hope that one day they'd stop seeing me through their mother's eyes.

I've spent the past few months allowing myself to grieve the loss and now it's done I'm writing to tell them about it. They won't be hurt by it - they're completely indifferent to me other than as 'someone who's occasionally useful'.

I've a 17 year old who lives with me and we have a happy relationship. The fact I'm planning the loss seems really strange but also the right thing to do.

Take care.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > My dog is dying