Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The Slow Cooker AKA Crock Pot      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cva14
Msg: 26
view profile
History
The Slow Cooker AKA Crock PotPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
you all making me hungry
 *buzz*
Msg: 27
view profile
History
The Slow Cooker AKA Crock Pot
Posted: 5/1/2008 1:15:45 PM
Since I have been given the fantastic slow cooker, life is never the same in my kitchen. More time on my hands, welcoming smell when entering house, the most tender meat I have ever eaten ... ... my and my friends taste buds are savouring with delight every single portion of meal my slow cooker is producing.
VIVA LA SLOW COOKER!

P.S.
I will post some duck recipies another day. Too late over here.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2008 9:49:55 AM

Chili!!!
Brown some ground beef, a pound or three or four, depending how meaty you like it; drain off excess fat and water, add to large crock pot.
A variation on this theme is to cook the beans in chicken stock.:
Rinse dry beans overnight or as directed. Drain, replace water and cook until just "al dente."
Drain again and replace water with chicken or beef stock or broth. Add meat and seasoning, diced onions and chilies or peppers. Cook until desired tenderness, add tomato product (I like using salsa and crushed tomatoes but sauce works fine as well).

Stir to mix well, simmer on LOW for as long as you can, 4-6 hours minimum, longer is better.

This is slightly different each time I make it. Often I start with dried beans instead of canned, but salsa is my trademark ingredient.

When you think it's done, stir it up, get yourself a medium size bowl and fill 3/4 full with chili; sprinkle with shredded sharp cheddar if you like, or some finely diced fresh white onion; grab a handful of crackers, pop a DVD in the player, sit down in front of the TV and enjoy your chili. Ignore questions about "is it done yet?" until you're on your third bowl...
 ezontheii
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2008 11:07:03 AM
My favorite because it is so easy: 4 - 6 porkchops
1 can of concentrated mushroom soup
1/2 cup of your favorite white wine
salt and pepper to taste.

Place chops in the pot, add the ingredients allow 8-10 hours to cook.
 *buzz*
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2008 12:27:00 PM
The best acclamation got duck's breast with honey and orange
================================================
-Two duck breasts with skin
-honey
-one orange
================================================
Make some cuts into skinless side of ducks breast and rub in honey (in moderation). Place them into slow cooker with skin on the bottom, add water as to cover the base of crock pot, cut orange in half and squeeze one half on the breast. The other half cut into several slices (I have cut off the orange's skin) and place them onto breasts. I let it cook for 7 hours but checked if there is enough juices. If not, I added a bit of water.
Yummy yummy yummy ...
 ~curlygirl~
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/4/2008 11:57:01 AM
i love my slow-cooker, but don't use it as often as i should. when i do pull it out of the cupboard, this recipe always gets raves....

SLOW-COOKER INDIAN-SPICED CHICKEN

(Serves 6)

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
12 chicken thighs, skinned & boneless
4 cups (1 L) thinly sliced onions
1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken stock
2 Tbsp (25 mL) mild curry paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) grated gingerroot
3 Tbsp (50 mL) all-purpose flour

Topping:
2/3 cup (150 mL) thinly sliced red onion
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2 Tbsp (25 mL) lime or lemon juice
3/4 cup (175 mL) plain yogurt
2 Tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh coriander/cilantro

Preparation:
In Dutch oven or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Transfer to slow cooker. Drain fat from pan.

Fry onions, stirring occasionally, until almost softened, about 10 minutes; scrape over chicken.

Whisk together orange juice, stock, curry paste, garlic and ginger; pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until juices run clear when meat is pierced.

Scrape onions off chicken, then with slotted spoon, transfer meat to platter; cover and keep warm. Whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until thickened, about 15 minutes. Pour over chicken.

Topping:
Meanwhile, sprinkle onion with salt; let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse in cold water; pat dry. In small bowl, toss onion with lime juice. Top each serving with yogurt then red onion. Sprinkle with coriander/cilantro.
 Casualmale66
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/8/2008 9:44:44 AM
My kids always loved any meals I made in the Crock Pot. Their favorite was always BBQ Chicken. It doesn't get much easier than filling the Crock with chicken leg quarters, covering with your favorite BBQ sauce, and making sure you don't leave it in too long or when you grab a bone with tongs ... a bone is all you come out with. DELICIOUS!!!!!
 Von Erik
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/10/2008 5:14:21 PM
Beaugrand®™©... dude I'll be trying that chili!

Now I'm starvin!

I've owned a half dozen crock pots over the years and never used one. I always mean to and don't get round to it. Then I either loose "custody" of them or my daughter "borrows" them....
I have a brand new one, NICE one, still in the box, that my ex gf gave me. It's sitting next to the really nice cool touch deep fryer she gave... still in the box.
I have NO idea why she gave them to me, neither of us cooked... probably stuff other people gave her first...

I think I'll make a list for next time I go shopping....

mmmm.... clam chowder....
 cordie_from_heaven
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/10/2008 6:53:09 PM
Hey...about cooking pasta in the crock pot...you CAN do it. The thing is that you should add your noodles at the end...usually about 30 minutes before the rest will be done. That way they get cooked but are seeping out their starch for 10 hours!

~Welder's Girl~
 _countrygirl
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/10/2008 8:23:08 PM
My favorite because it is so easy: 4 - 6 porkchops
1 can of concentrated mushroom soup
1/2 cup of your favorite white wine
salt and pepper to taste.

Place chops in the pot, add the ingredients allow 8-10 hours to cook

Earlier posted recipe...what would I substitute for the wine ?Thanks
 matt480075
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/10/2008 8:35:03 PM
I just made something last week that turned out good.

1.2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into little pieces
1 cup pearl barley
some celery (I think I used 3 or 4 big pieces) cut
1 medium onion chopped
4 small turnips quartered
2 cans plain stewed tomatoes
Fill with water to just a bit higher than the food.

Cook 8-10 hrs on low.

Gonna try cooking some crock pot baked beans tomorrow and see if they're any good.
 Drkeyedbeauty
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 9:23:36 PM
sarcastic smiley girl, what size crock pot are you using to make your superbowl dish? I've never used a crock pot but this sounds wonderful and impressive.
 jaycee4
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2008 7:22:36 AM
Here's a great crock pot beef burgundy-it is sooo good!

2 pounds beef roast
mrs. grass onion soup mix (have used lipton and it works good too)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
5 tablespoons red cooking wine

put roast in crock pot. mix all the other ingredients together and pour over roast.
cook at least 5 hours in crock pot on high (or till it's as tender as you want)

use the drippings over rice or whatever!
 _countrygirl
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/12/2008 2:49:49 PM
This weekend I found out for a quicker clean up they actually have crockpot bags.They keep them with the saran rap and tinfoil etc.Bit bag lines the pot and then you just take out after all it eaten.AWESOME
 manapua
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 6:40:32 PM
Aloha to all: Moving from the Islands ,now in Oregon
would love to share this recipe with all
"Crock Pot" "Kalua Pork"

1-Bottle Liquid Smoke
1-Package Hawaiian salt( if none use coarse salt)
1-Package Boneless Pork Butt
1-Jar Crushed Garlic

Rub Pork Butt with crushed garlic,all over Pork
Put in Crock pot on High, Add Liquid smoke (cover entire Pork)
Cook for 6Hours

When cooked, put pork on platter and with fork,pull all apart.
Serve with (Hinode rice that has been cooked in rice cooker)

Next day I make some of that Pork with cabbage and put over rice ,very "ONO"

Enjoy,it is very delicious Oh! I also add shoyu sauce over the cabbage and pork
and over rice if you like.

Aloha to all
Leilani (manapua)

t-razz
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/21/2008 10:03:57 AM
BBQ Pork Ribs

4 lbs of meaty country style pork ribs
2 cups any kind of BBQ sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsps Cajun seasoning
2 tsps onion powder
2 tsps garlic powder

Preheat the slow cooker on high. Cut up the country style ribs into portions. I like this cut because there is a lot of meat and only a little bone, but it is not a popular cut so you can use any kind you like and my son has made these with beef ribs, too. If I can't cut through the bone I at least slit the meat so the sauce can get to it.

Heat bottle of BBQ sauce in the microwave just to warm it up a bit. I buy BBQ sauce on sale so I use whatever I have. It is just as good with a premium "beer and jalapeno" sauce as with plain old Heinz. Put sauce, honey and seasonings in the crock pot and blend together well. I add warm water to the sauce bottle and swish it around to get all the sauce and put that in the pot too. Add ribs and submerge under the sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours if you must, they'll be edible and make great pulled pork the next day. But for superior ribs if you have time, go for low for a full 8 hrs.

I serve with rice and a veggie. I put the pulled pork recipe for the next day up on the "Hey good looking..." forum under cooking.

If you can't get Cajun seasoning, here's the recipe I used to make mine:

1/2 cup kosher salt (pickling salt works)
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
2 tbsps onion powder
2 tbsps garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsps dried thyme
2 tbsps dried basil
2 tbsps coriander
1 tbsp cracked black pepper

Shake everything together in a jar and use for spicy flavour. Tastes amazing on grilled salmon, just rub salmon with olive oil and coat liberally with Cajun seasoning. Grill outdoors until done or can be broiled indoors.
 mark_in_san_ramon
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/26/2008 1:27:06 AM
I love my slow cooker! The kind I use is a West Bend and it's actually a metal rectangular pot that sits on a heating tray (you can use the tray as a griddle, but I don't). What I love about it is that's non-stick on the inside and very light weight, both of which make it easy to clean. It also has a continuous heat control.

Here's a tip for using a slow cooker - make the recipe up the night before and put the pot in the fridge. In the morning, take it out and put it in the heating section. When you get home from work, dinner will be ready! (Of course this only works for models with a removable pot.)

I have lots of recipes for the slow cooker on my cooking blog: www.markiscooking.com
I just posted a great chili recipe I call Chile Coloradical.

It's not on the blog, but I do my baby backs in the slow cooker. I cut them into sections of three or four ribs, coat with salt and pepper and just BBQ sauce (I like Bullseye) and cook on medium for 8-10 hours. Then I remove them and finish them up on the barbecue for 5 minutes per side on indirect heat.
 Racefandar1
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 2:26:16 AM
Try doing your stuffed peppers in the crock pot . Stuff peppers and arrange in crock pot.(tip, don't allow peppers to touch on sides or they won't cook all the way where their touching. Cover with your favorite tomatoe sauce. awsome
 cate74
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 9:30:17 AM
Hey all, I thought I'd join in, since I practically live out of my slow cooker! Although, since I'm a vegan (through intollerance, not choice!) my recipes are pretty limited - anybody got any ideas for veg-only recipes? I'd appreciate any suggestions if you want to message me.

My usual dish consists of carrots, sweet potatoes, leeks, swede and new potatoes, with veggie gravy - basic enough, but try putting a couple of those part-baked rolls you get in supermarkets in the oven for ten mins before dishing up - unbeatable with lashings of butter!
 katiegolightly
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/26/2008 9:38:16 AM
Hi cate,

I've made a crockpot dish that was a huge hit at parties. Sauteed sliced portobello mushrooms in some olive oil and garlic then put them in the crock pot with this amazing jar sauce from Trader Joe's called Indian Marsala sauce (do you have a T Joe's near you?). Let it cook and cook. Then I made a polenta, sliced it, put the mushroom marsala on top (each person made their own) and had a little bowl of fresh cilantro to sprinkle on top. YUM. Easy as pie too, not that pie is easy mind you.

Eegads, just saw that you live in the UK. Well curries are really popular over there eh? According to Bridget Jones anyway. ;) Maybe you can find a jarred curry or marsala sauce that you like...the curry's kind of too hot in the brand I mentioned but if you like heat....
 mark_in_san_ramon
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/26/2008 11:15:17 AM

anybody got any ideas for veg-only recipes?

There's a vegetarian version of my Sweet and Sour Cabbage Borscht on my cooking blog at www.markiscooking.com

Mark
 cbliz
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 10:23:53 PM
Add the noodles about an hour before you are going to eat. Just make sure there is plenty of liquids in whatever you are cooking.
 cbliz
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 10:35:35 PM
Two recipes I use OFTEN - VERY simple and delicious!!!!!

chicken breasts
One large can of cream of chix soup, and one can of water
Poultry seasoning.
When done, shred the chicken up and spoon it out over rice (preferably sticky rice - med grain, NOT instant rice).

Boneless pork roast
1 cup of soy sauce
Garlic
Serve over rice
 RUFOREAL
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2008 11:04:34 PM

This weekend I found out for a quicker clean up they actually have crockpot bags.They keep them with the saran rap and tinfoil etc.Bit bag lines the pot and then you just take out after all it eaten.AWESOME

Thanks for the tip, I have always just gotten those big roasting bags (that you get for doing turkeys in)
I love the fact that you can just pull the bag out , and seal it with any leftovers, and its much easier to clean up after using the crock pot!

Great thread, thanks for reminding me, I use my crock pot more often in the summer months, time to get back out again.
Someone mentioned making cakes in the crock pot, I have never tried it before. Any good tips?
 Miss W
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2008 1:25:35 PM
I just posted this in the "show off" recipes, but this is where it really should be.

Merlot Pot Roast with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
Prep/cook time: 8½ to 9½ hours on low, 5½ to 6½ hrs on high

Prepare the smashed potatoes as soon as the beef is tender; the meat can continue to cook until they are ready.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

1 tied fat trimmed boned beef chuck roast (3-3½ lb)
fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
3 carrots (about ¼ lb. each ) rinsed and peeled
1 onion ½ lb), peeled and chopped
2/3 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
1 dried bay leaf
1 cup Merlot or other dry red wine 1/3 cup canned tomato paste
1½ tablespoons cornstarch
Horseradish smashed potatoes (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 to 2 cups watercress sprigs, rinsed and crisped (optional) (I always skip)
salt

Rinse beef, pat dry, and sprinkle generously all over with fresh ground pepper. Melt butter in a 10-12 inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. When hot, add beef and brown well on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes total.
Meanwhile, cut carrots into sticks about 3/8 inch thick and 2 inches long.

In a 4 ½ quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine carrots, onion, celery,garlic, thyme, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Set beef on vegetables: add drippings. In a small bowl, mix wine and tomato paste; pour over meat and vegetables.Cover and cook until beef is very tender when pierced, 8 to 9 hours on low, 5 to 6 hours on high. If possible, turn meat over halfway through cooking.

With 2 slotted spoons, transfer meat to a platter; keep warm. Skim and discard any fat from cooking liquid. Turn cooker to high. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with a 1½ tablespoons water; pour into cooker and stir often until sauce is bubbling, 10-15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift vegetables from cooker and arrange beside meat. Spoon horseradish smashed potatoes onto platter; sprinkle with parsley. Garnish Platter with watercress. Spoon sauce over meat. Slice meat and serve with vegetables, potatoes, and sauce, adding salt to taste.

Horseradish Smashed Potatoes

Scrub and peel 13 to 3½ lbs. russet potatoes; cut into 1½-inch chunks. Put into a 4-5 quart pan with 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes mash easily when pressed, 20-25 minutes. When potatoes are done, heat 1 to 1½ cups half and half or fat skimmed chicken broth with 2 tablespoons butter or margerine in a microwave safe container in a microwave oven at full power just until steaming 1 to 3 minutes. Or warm in a 1 to 1½ quart pan over medium heat. While cream heats, drain potatoes and mash in pan with a mixer or potato masher until almost smooth. Add cream, a portion at a time, and mix until potatoes have the consistency desired. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish to taste. Mound beside Merlot pot roast or scrape into a bowl. Makes 6 to 7 cups 6 to 8 servings

Bon Appetit!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The Slow Cooker AKA Crock Pot