Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > STOP SMOKING      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 XHTML
Msg: 201
STOP SMOKING Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I notice OP "the cat came back/sponge" has vanished from the forums (and presumably the pond as well).

Hopefully her efforts to cease smoking were successful and she didn't experience any ill effects from Champix or any other measures she may have tried.
 CoolFunChick123
Msg: 202
view profile
History
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 8/17/2008 5:36:14 PM
How are you doing with your "quitting smoking" deal?

I have 2 packs left and then I will be quitting as I'm trying to get healthy (and happier) Iwas able to quit with all 3 of my kids so I'm sure I can do it again!!!
 tornado1
Msg: 203
view profile
History
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 8/17/2008 9:24:48 PM
Hey that's awesome Dragonlady! (I mean the no smoking, not the weight gain.)

I am 4 months today. Hardly even think about it anymore, unless I see someone else smoking. Initially gained 10 lbs, but weight has stabilized now, so time to start dealing with that!

P.S. Good luck CoolFunChick!
 flybyknight
Msg: 204
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 9/6/2008 10:53:17 AM
oh no...after 8 years you started again?...and I thought I was safe after almost 5 years non-smoker (oct.23/03), now I'm not so complacent.
My biggest incentives then were: spending $3000 on dental, cig prices almost doubling and starting a workout/healthkick.
...promises of intimacy probably would've been better than all 3 but somehow I managed without..
good luck all!!
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 205
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 9/19/2008 9:38:49 AM
Ok, here I go again...started the champix today, and plan to stay on it longer this time until I kick the habit, cause I know it worked for me. Just plain stupidity why I purposely went off the champix last time and bought a carton of smokes....****what was I thinking/****HITS SELF OVER HEAD****

Glad to hear that it worked for all of you and as sponge would say if she was here

get with the program !
 XHTML
Msg: 206
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 9/19/2008 9:43:33 AM
^^^^

Just plain stupidity why I purposely went off the champix last time and bought a carton of smokes....****what was I thinking/****HITS SELF OVER HEAD****

ritawayward
Msg: 207
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 9/19/2008 11:26:59 AM
"If I quit quitting I'll never beat this thing!"
That is what I used to say to all my critics in the smoking bar I worked at 25 years ago when I quit regularly
against all odds(there was always a smoldering cigarrette or three,those of patrons and staff alike, in the ashtrays
at the bar I was behind).I made a habit of quitting! lol I guess that was also my way of cutting back dramatically on a regular basis.
Non quitters would laugh at me, blow smoke in my face. anything to ridicule my dedication( which was undeniably shaky, especially at work)
to ending my enslavement to a habit I didn't even enjoy, So I figured it was like falling down when skating. I just had to keep getting back up
and stay up a little or a lot longer each time. I don't remember how many times I tried over 15 years definitely a few dozen!
I realized I was conditioning my body to adjust to a life without nicotine (and all the rituals and social bonding that goes with it)
more than I would have if I just gave up quitting after failing once or a few times.

I am happy to say I have been a non smoker since I started trying to conceive my son 23 years ago.
I had a few slips (puffs here and there, never MY brand, to remind myself how gross it tasted after smelling kind of appealing on occasion) but,
I never again smoked a whole cigarette or bought a pack . Eventually my relationship with a smoker ended and I never again allowed smoke within breathing distance
if I possibly could and my desire for puffs completely ended. I get very sick now when I smell it and cough incontrollably, for a moment, if I breathe it on the street.

All that to say ... keep quitting! IT IS SO WORTH IT!
Don't add up the quit times against yourself!
Add them towards the one that happens to be the QUIT that is for good!
Quitting is a healthy habit! lol
 ladyred1969
Msg: 208
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 9/20/2008 6:07:21 PM
Well its been 10 months today without a single cheat...i am smart enough to know if i cheat once...I'll be back to smoking again. I still let my friends and family smoke in my car and around me I will not turn into one of "those" reformed smokers...LOL
Good luck to all "quitters" out there and keep on quitting
 dragonlady45
Msg: 209
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/3/2008 7:15:24 PM
congrats to you ..... i am still holding out been 7 months now" not one puff " hows everyone else holding out ????????????????
 NeptuneDreamGirl
Msg: 210
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/3/2008 7:39:04 PM
Quitting has been on my mind for what seems like forever. I've tried all the quitting aids. I think I just haven't been (really) ready. But I AM ready. How do you gear yourself up for it? The big quit.

It's disgusting, expensive, costs you more than money, dulls your senses, is embarrassing, makes you feel like a leper, there is nothing good about it. As Allan Carr states in his book, "it's like hitting your head against the wall just so it feels good when you stop..."

There is always a reason to put it off. Sometimes I think I'll be putting off until I'm dead.

H

E

L

P

I'm so sick of it, and I think I'm gearing up to make a real effort to finally give it up, but some encouraging tips are always welcome.
 forumlover
Msg: 211
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/4/2008 9:15:54 AM
Drink 100 % juice, in the morning it really helps
deep breathing
walking
make a list of the most important reasons you are quitting
 ritawayward
Msg: 212
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/4/2008 9:30:11 AM
^^^^ good advice above!
I will add to that smoking robs you of nutrients
and catching up on that will help with tiredness, headaches, I won't go on ... but
a multi vitamin and extra c, d and iron (in the case of women) will pick you up
and start setting your brain on a more naturally energetic and healing level.

A list of why you quit is good.
Also a list of immediate things you can do, that you like, instead of smoking when a craving
comes on AND doing them is essential imo!

Some of mine were : - drink a glass of water
- breath deeply and slowly(preferably outside air even from a window)
for the length of time it would take to have a cigarette. I even carried this
so far (in later stages) as to suck air in and out with too fingers holding an invisible cigarette for the same length of time.
I don't recommend this early on because of the risk of triggering yourself to just "upgrade" to the real thing.
-Take a walk(short or long), avoiding places where there are smokers congregating outside!and breath in slowly and deeply.
-Put on favourite music, move around!
- call a friend
-Get a quitting buddy! Either one who has been there or is going thru it now(but does not have cigarettes available!).
And call or visit them EVERYTIME you want to smoke.
 silibus
Msg: 213
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/5/2008 4:20:12 PM
A few months ago I decided to quit but I didn't last long. (but my post is not about that although related to it). Late one night I couldn't get to sleep and didn't want to spend another dollar on something that just takes life away from me so I walked outside amd across the street because I saw a homeless person there earlier while I was smoking outside of our building. I walked up to him and threw him my smokes. As I did this he called me back over and was insisting that "no, he wasn't looking for money but that he had something to tell me" so I walked back to him. "When I was eighteen I quit heroine" he told me. And that was is all he said. So in other words, quiting smoking IS more difficult than quitting a heroine addiction. And our government not only makes money from our addiction to tobbacco but promotes the addiction by not limiting the addictive additives that the tobacco companies put in our ciggerettes.
 tornado1
Msg: 214
view profile
History
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/5/2008 8:54:25 PM
That's awesome Dragonlady! I made it past the 6 month mark without so much as a puff, but I've been hanging around with a couple smokers lately and I've been really tempted.......so much so, that I have taken a couple puffs, which has really scared me, so I have put myself temporarily back on the starting dose of Champix.
 AKwithasmile
Msg: 215
view profile
History
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/6/2008 12:25:32 AM
i can't remember when i quit smoking but it was during this thread, months ago. at the time i thought that this thread would be a good way of keeping track of my progress, maybe it would help me. As it turns out, i haven't been to this website in months and months (still single and still lonely) and i can't remember when i quit or how long it's been.
 halbailman
Msg: 216
STOP SMOKING
Posted: 11/6/2008 2:14:33 AM
my grandfatther was told to either quit or only live 1 year in 1980 with his heart attack.... he quit in 2000 (not advocating smoking here) then sadly between march 2004 and sept 2007 he suffered 22 mahor heart attacks and thats no typo the last one killed him
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > STOP SMOKING