Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 valleyrides
Msg: 51
Welfare recipients with money to burn!Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
The issue is what they do with our money when they are on it. Are they spending it on necessities or luxuries.

well if I ever end up on it I would probably become a street person ,and a thief ,and turn to booze and drugs or anything i could get my hands on to get through the depressing day..just get wasted ..why not ? I would be to broke to get a job or live anywhere .
 Kootgal
Msg: 52
Welfare recipients with money to burn!
Posted: 4/23/2008 4:28:54 PM
Its a great topic. I think the accountability idea is the best idea. The clients should be accountable but so should the government! In Toronto, they stopped doing random home visits on clients because it infringed on their right to privacy. So the guy who answered the phone everytime I called was always "the brother/cousin/friend". No way for me to prove it. I could send it to the fraud department.. but they got no further.
We would catch clients in outright fraud, take them to court (which would take 5-6 years) call in every worker who ever touched the file to testify (12+ workers, earning $25 an hour sitting in a courtroom all day) only to have the whole case thrown out before it even got heard on a technicality. That happened to me THREE times in the 15 years. We were dealing with $45,000 frauds that walked out of the courthouse because SOMEONE somewhere forgot to dot an i or cross a t.
So yeah.. there are clients on there who play the system.. because they CAN.. the system does NOTHING to stop them. Their right to fraud is apparently more important than our right to demand that the system be held accountable.
Can ya tell I'm retired? lol.
 Xavery
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/23/2008 4:29:49 PM
^ agreed...few people in this forum could survive a day or my on the streets....including myself....so stop the BS people, and give the homeless a break. You act like it a choice. Who would choose that kind of lifestyle? I dont see any teens sitting in school aspiring to be street people.

I have heard it said that many people are just a few pay cheques away from welfare. Think about it.
 truthisee
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/23/2008 4:50:10 PM
Short but to the point X...

<div class="quote">You act like it's a choice

They do, (act that is), ignorance is such an O so sweet bliss.....

<div class="quote">I don't see any teens sitting in school aspiring to be street people

Of course we don't, just to simply break free of the poverty they are subjected too........

<div class="quote">I have heard it said that many people are just a few pay cheques away from welfare. Think about it.

Don't even have to comment on that one, it speaks for itself.

Personally, I support Workfare, but in many instances it is simply not a viable solution to the problem. Let's get real for a moment, people go through hard times that are far beyond their control, simple. I for one am proud to live in a Country that will provide to the less fortunate, however, do not get me wrong here, I am also an advocate of personal accountability.

Shit, if I ever had to go on welfare and come face to face with the prospects that they face I would smoke frikken three packs a day......so would you.....how about you get your head out your ass and realize that your life is not theirs, never has been, never will be...

Who the fvck is anyone here to judge, sitting in their warm home in front of the "other" idiot box?...and yeah, walk a mile before you judge those you have no idea about...

I have worked the streets handing out food and blankets.
I have helped those I could with an understanding ear.
I have also worked in Federal Corrections and seen and heard horror stories of abuse that would bring tears to the strongest among us.......

And one things for goddamn certain, I am tired of those close minded people that offer advise to a situation they themselves have never personally experienced first hand.

Get the fvck off that soap-box and walk a mile in some-one elses shoes before you pass judgment on the entirety of their lives.

jetty65
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:00:32 PM

well if I ever end up on it I would probably become a street person ,and a thief ,and turn to booze and drugs or anything i could get my hands on to get through the depressing day..just get wasted ..why not ? I would be to broke to get a job or live anywhere .

We all make choices in our lives and some people make bad ones. I have collected welfare , very briefly and once received a food voucher. I was very gratefull for the help. Did I get all depressed and go on drugs and booze and live out in the streets? No, just kept my head and realized things will get better and they did.

Its not the governments job to provide drugs and booze for people, but it is the governments job to provide centers to help drug addicts and alcoholics, retraining centers , relocation money , social housing and help people that are down on their luck. Many schools have a hot lunch program , some even have a breakfast, these are very valuable assistance programs that need attention.

Why are disabled peole collecting welfare, shouldn't they be collecting a disability pension totally separate from welfare.

Another poster made the point that are poorest of Canadians are far better off then many other people in other countries. For this we should all be grateful.
 bcboy72
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:13:57 PM

And one things for goddamn certain, I am tired of those close minded people that offer advise to a situation they themselves have never personally experienced first hand.

Get the fvck off that soap-box and walk a mile in some-one elses shoes before you pass judgment on the entirety of their lives.

Wore the shoes for quite a few miles...got a job, and gave back the shoes. Never smoked then either. Watched many people like the lifestyle free money (even the minimal amount of a single male) offered..and never leave it. They had choices.

if I ever had to go on welfare

So, "mr. holier than thou.." if you haven't been there..you are commenting why?
 truthisee
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:17:58 PM

Been on my own since 14 bud.

Did the streets, made it through...did what I had to do to survive it....

Was shot.
Knifed.
Beat down.

But, as you...*cough*, made it, got a job, never looked back.

But I have an understanding few will.

So step off.

Pantherrrrr642001
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:43:08 PM
Once again it comes back to the real issue at hand,. not those IN NEED but those who use the system are the offenders.... oh look! imagine that,. the word OFFEND in there. Hell ya it offends me that SOME people can use the system to live quite comfortably.
Not blowing smoke through my hat,... I KNOW people like this personally and it bugs the hell out of me. ... and NO reporting them does no good either, as one other poster mentioned,... it ends up hurting their kids more than them.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:43:47 PM
While I think the welfare program is necessary for many, I have had close acquaintances abuse the system & I do take issue with that. Regarding the dietary allowances, I knew someone who went vegan in order to lose weight about 10 years ago. But instead of buying fresh produce & cooking her meals, she claimed the additional allowance for her 'special diet' to purchase ready-to-eat vegetarian foods so she wouldn't have to cook. I was under the impression that this added dietary allowance existed only for those who had certain illnesses or were terminally ill.

She lost a ton of weight & complained to me that her breasts had become saggy. When I saw her several years ago, she flashed her breasts at me & said "Look what I got!". She had undergone a breast reduction & lift & said that welfare paid for the cosmetic surgery because she told them she couldn't work due to the back & neck pain from having large breasts. In confidence, she admitted that she just wanted them to look perky to fit with her new trimmer figure. She hadn't worked a day in at least 8 years prior to her surgery & she has only recently taken on a job cleaning someone's house 2 hours per week. She lives alone in a 2-bedroom subsidized apartment & still remains on welfare even though she is capable of working regular hours. I must admit that I was irate when I discovered that welfare was forking out money for recipients to have non-urgent cosmetic surgery.

I also knew a young gal in her early 20's who lived on welfare & collected child subsidy for her two children who were in my daycare so she could go back to school. She slept in every day, brought her kids to me close to noon for a few hours & only went into school when she felt like it. She was later hired by the Bay but never showed up for the 2-day training session. When I questioned this, she said there was no point to her working because she could stay home & collect $1,200 per month from welfare which was play money for her because her live-in boyfriend was making $26 per hour in his full-time job & he was paying all their household bills. Welfare didn't know about her boyfriend & was therefore paying for this 'single mom' & two kids to 'rent' their 3-bedroom rancher. I am all for having able-bodied welfare recipients report for work early every morning & take any job they're able to do.
 gon_fishin
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:04:39 PM

Once again it comes back to the real issue at hand,. not those IN NEED but those who use the system are the offenders.... oh look! imagine that,. the word OFFEND in there. Hell ya it offends me that SOME people can use the system to live quite comfortably.

ummm... like ummmm... politicians maybe??
 thumper*
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:26:12 PM
I also knew a young gal in her early 20's who lived on welfare & collected child subsidy for her two children who were in my daycare so she could go back to school. She slept in every day, brought her kids to me close to noon for a few hours & only went into school when she felt like it. She was later hired by the Bay but never showed up for the 2-day training session. When I questioned this, she said there was no point to her working because she could stay home & collect $1,200 per month from welfare which was play money for her because her live-in boyfriend was making $26 per hour in his full-time job & he was paying all their household bills. Welfare didn't know about her boyfriend & was therefore paying for this 'single mom' & two kids to 'rent' their 3-bedroom rancher. I am all for having able-bodied welfare recipients report for work early every morning & take any job they're able to do.

Gawd, that just makes me sick.....

I have neighbors like this...he works, she stays home...(when he feels like it, he's on welfare too...oh and they have a handicapped sticker too)....they have a new van and a car.
They get drunk, she pisses him off, he hits her...the cops come. Kids were finally taken away, for a few days...(they're back now)...the cops are there about 3 times a month...taking him away in handcuffs....

they have all new appliances...always have groceries...(she still uses the food bank)...

I know they have been ratted out...a number of times...and nothing has happened to them....nothing.

They are "the system" and they CAN get away with it. because they are!!!!

and guess what...
THEY"RE MOVING TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEEEEHAWWWWWWWWW...no more police...and I don't have to watch them spending my tax dollars anymore.

Enough already....doesn't any one listen?
 Walts
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:26:41 PM
Some of you should read what you are writing cause it's freaking hilarious.

Scarey,,,but still freaking hilarious.

I'm starting to become a bigger and bigger Darwin fan every day I live.
 thumper*
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:31:07 PM
What are you saying Walts???

You think you know it all?
We all have stories about fukkheads on welfare...

guess where this couple met...that I spoke about?

Yuppers....on POF!

Walts
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:43:44 PM

What are you saying Walts???

Just a sec,,,,,,

nope, never read THUMPER in my post. Actually never read a name at all. I did read "some",,,,,and I am still scared.

What I DO know THUMPER is I DON'T know it all. As you, I know cheaters, yet along with it I also know a few that do NEED welfare for a period of time. The crap that is flying around on this topic, is just that crap. That goes for both the pro and the con comments. I could go and pick apart quit a few posts, but personally why would I????? I know it would be lost on those that typed those posts. Kinda funny huh????

And not the "ha ha" funny either.
 gon_fishin
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:59:44 PM
^^ give er a go walts...

explain your Utopian society that ya dream of. We all have one.

Me personally... dammit... serious post....

I have had to go on the welly for a couple months... wont go into specifics. But it was there and it wasn't a hand out or a hand up... was just there. Could i stay on it as a career?? no frickin way.
Just not my way of thinking. I like to earn my money.

That being said... a lot of the folks that do abuse the system are addicted to one form of contraband?? Don't know if that is the right word or not. Anyway.. Addictions are very powerful.. hope your daughter never falls to the evils of it.

I also think the people that do abuse the system are very smart people.. why you ask?? Because they know they can get away with it. Which leads us to the real question.... Who is responsible??

My vote is for the overpaid bureaucrats that also abuse the system. So what do we do? We change it.. HOW?

Don't make me get serious on your ass again...

Celticlass2
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:04:15 PM
We're forgetting though that the biggest "welfare bums" are those that are able to avoid taxes because they are able to find loopholes and save $$$ because they've got it to play with. The truth is that most of the wealth in Canada is controlled by less than 10% of the people. Is the alleged scamming by people who are at the bottom end of the income scale, such a crime in the whole scheme of things?
 johnny7103
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:04:41 PM

hey people on welfare have to be perfect human beings they are ours to mould.
 Bisou Copacetic
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:14:44 PM

Should welfare recipients have the choice to spend tax payer money on what appear to be non-essential things that others cannot justify spending the money on?

Back to the topic.

Once upon a time, welfare recipients had extra money to spend on luxuries but this is not the case now days. After housing, food, utilities and transportation cost is cover, no money is ever left. To make ends meets all need to suppliment their income doing bottle pick-ups, baby sitting, shewing, yard work and some still need to ask for money on street corners. I live in the downtown core and I see my neighbours out and about doing the above regularly.

This brings to mind...back in the early 70's I was told of welfare recipients who would dispose of their funitures every few years to have them replace by the system.
Have anyone seen this lately? No.

BC
 jetty65
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:14:48 PM

ummm... like ummmm... politicians maybe??

There is no doubt in my mind that politicians take more then their fair share. But is thread about politicians? No.

Its twisted thinking that when someone does something wrong they like to point the finger and say well "I'm not as bad as him"
 gon_fishin
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:19:11 PM
OMG... who gives a shit if i am on topic or not... it all ties in no???

ok.. lets go to the poster who said corporate welfare.. thieves no?.. looking to take advantage of the system. JUST LIKE WELFARE BUMS.

caio
 Michaelann
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:22:59 PM
Regarding the dietary allowances, I knew someone who went vegan in order to lose weight about 10 years ago. But instead of buying fresh produce & cooking her meals, she claimed the additional allowance for her 'special diet' to purchase ready-to-eat vegetarian foods so she wouldn't have to cook. I was under the impression that this added dietary allowance existed only for those who had certain illnesses or were terminally ill. - FunnyAndSweet48

I think she must've pulled a fast one there, I have been told that diet allowances are only for certain
illnesses, or pre-natal. Not for losing weight. And it would've been MSP, not welfare, who paid for the
breast reduction,since she claimed that they were causing neck & back pain (a common problem, btw).
But I don't blame you for being pissed off, given the state of our medical system, that kind of abuse is
sickening!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

BC has a better system in place.. or so I'm told.. apparently you can only be on assistance 2 out of every 5 years?? or has that changed?? I was dying to find out how that worked out.. I think every province should adopt that policy. - Kootgal

That policy only applies to singles & childless couples. If you have kids (single parents or couples) they
can't cut you off (violation of the Federal GAIN laws), so they cut $200 off your monthly cheque. And btw,
there are huge waiting lists for social housing in BC,I was on the list once for almost 1o years, because
I wasn't willing to move out of town (new West, Surrey, etc- this was way before the Skytrain). Even
though people on assistance & disability were given a rent increase last summer, over 90% of those
people in the Lower Mainland, pay more than their shelter allowance, for their rent. And the "shelter
allowance", is also supposed to cover the hydro, heat & phone. $375 for a single person. Good luck
finding even a room, for that price!

How has that worked out? More people are homeless & crime continues to go up.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Now, I don't blame people for being upset with thsoe who mis0use &/or abuse the system. I hate that,
too.But please remember that they are a small minority. I hate to see people drinking & smoking, whether
they are poor or not, it's such a stupid waste!

I got a notice last December that they were finally offering to help people who wanted to quit smoking (none
of the meds are covered). I wish I knew how mnay people actually kicked the filthy habit? I hope lots.

I have been disabled most of my adult life & have mostly dated/married men in similar situations, due to the
ignorance & prejudice that keeps people from seeing the person within. I would never judge anyone by what
(or how much) they have.
 ohdriver
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:28:10 PM
ms69
they like to point the finger and say well "I'm not as bad as him"

hey
a new hobby
 Walts
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:32:07 PM

explain your Utopian society that ya dream of. We all have one.

Again,,,,,,,ever hear of Darwin???? That's my "utopian" society,,,,and let's just say,,,there will LOTS of room.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:52:27 PM
When I was 19, I was laid off the day after my boss hit on me & I turned him down. He was 16 yrs older & married with 3 kids. I had to go on welfare for one month while waiting for E.I. to kick in until I found another job. Have not been on welfare since.

But I'm curious, what if you met someone you had an instant attraction & connection with then found out he/she was a long-term welfare recipient & appeared to have no valid reason for not working. Would you continue to date that person knowing that he/she might possibly be a welfare addict?
 lookin4luvnlaughter
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:54:09 PM
Simple.....NO!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!