Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 interludesolo
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Welfare recipients with money to burn!Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Ok let me understand this, there are two groups of people.....
the drug addicts, the mentally challenged, alcoholics, women with self-esteem issues who believe their contribution in life is to keep procreating at someone else's expense .. who have a hand out for money

then ....there are filthy rich people who ask and get government grants in the MILLIONS to build a business, go bankrupt-don't have to pay it back, buy the best commercial property at at lower prices...get more write offs, make more money than you can shake a stick at, still bleeding us blind behind closed doors with their FREE handouts and

no one on these posts seems to be bothered by this!!!

Frankly I would much rather be robbed by someone poor living in the ghettos of cities THAN some RICH FAT CAT!!

interludesolo
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Welfare recipients with money to burn!
Posted: 4/25/2008 6:45:15 AM
Oh BTW in case anyone is interested,

The Federal Government between 1982 and 2006 authorized 18.4 BILLION in grants,
contributions, concessional financing and other forms of federal assistance.

If you care to, google corporate welfare in Canada!!
 jetty65
Msg: 103
Posted: 4/25/2008 8:19:39 AM

get government grants in the MILLIONS to build a business,

Like every government assistance program there are abusers. Most people really make the most of these grants, start up a business and hire people, helping the overall economy.

I received a government grant to go back to school, Ive made the best of it. Now I have a good job.

No one in this thread believes that welfare be abolished, just mad at the abusers. If the social safety net continues to be abused, it might not be there some day for people that really need it.
 interludesolo
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 9:24:54 AM
No probs jetty..I'm totally for anyone trying to help themselves, you have my vote!
It's the big fish I'm pointing to.
In my line of work..I see all kinds of abuse but.. there are people who just are incapable of bettering themselves. The way I see it there are physically handicapped people which is visible, then there are those that have mental issues, not so visible at first and it's legitimate. Some need help through a rough spot and get back on their feet! Others are just plain lazy and lack discipline, in some cases they have no conscious about never working or they had no role models.

Still... when you compare the two handouts and who is getting more money from us the taxpayer...the big corporations win out by a landslide! JMHO
 mo-mo
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/25/2008 10:35:33 AM
I got a private email from a fishy that chooses not to post in the threads right now...
This is what is said:

There was a case in the news today, Global. A youngish woman has cancers, has been told not to work but she cannot afford to survive unless she does. If I got the story right (not sure, didn't catch it all) she is on welfare and doesn't get enough to cover everything.

The one comment she made in the interview that struck home was "I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't party."

She needs more help for sure!

The abusers live on easy street and the poor and I think dying woman has to work despite cancer and doctor's order. Work makes it worse.

What a sad case. My heart went out to her, nearly in tears.

Nice to see some empathetic people still exist !!!!!!!
 pee wee herman
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/25/2008 1:57:15 PM
What is wrong with a fellow having a smoke, surely you are not going to begrudge someone a smoke after all they are living in a tent in the cold your point. I think there are bigger things to be concerned about then this sir.
 *Dolores*
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/25/2008 3:10:08 PM
I could use some social assistants myself....
Maybe one to book appointments, one to arrange dates with handsome and eligible men, one to carry conversations when I space out, one to drive me home when I've had a few pops.....
 whitetigeress
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/25/2008 5:52:22 PM
all this because Tye doesn't like welfare users smoking or acquiring call display... nice (yes thats dripping wet with sarcasm)

my thoughts are ; we help our fellow man
so much is taken off each of my cheques and it goes to various things.. i aint complaining, the world helps me.. i help the world .. complaining causes wrinkles which i don't like

meanwhile, karma will get the abusers
 *Splendid*
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 11:57:21 PM

What is the melting point of copper?

Can't live on pennies from Heaven can we?
 BCTodd
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2008 11:28:37 AM
Anyone who believes that welfare is benevolent because they or someone they know has needed it at some juncutre of their lives must remember that there wouldn't be nearly as much poverty if government wasn't around to steal and steal and steal even more. Voluntarily-funded charitable organizations have always been more effective and MUCH more ethical than coercive bureaucracy.

The same regrettable cycle happens over & over: people recognize that some others are suffering, then misguided do-gooders pretend that government can help somehow if only "everyone becomes obligated," then government seizes upon another opportunity to grow & control even more of people's lives, then business & catallactic commerce suffers to the point that more people are left suffering than were suffering originally, then government suggests that it has a "fix" for the latest problems and those same citizens with good intentions decide that maybe government is now an "essential service," then freedom diminshes more & poverty increases more, then government "by hook or crook" grabs more control, then society starts on the inevitable downhill roll toward totalitarianism of either the communist or corporatist variety.

Then, as always happens, millions die before citizens -- still with the same good intentions as always -- finally recognize government for what it is: a legal fiction that swindles good people into doing the wrong things for the ultimate glory of the narcissistic criminal caste.
 XHTML
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/20/2008 12:57:33 PM
Initially looking for some information on welfare rates in British Columbia I came across the Ministry of Housing and Social Development BC Employment and Assistance Rate Table:

http://www.eia.gov.bc.ca/mhr/ia.htm

In the table on the webpage there is a column, "Unit Size" where the value of the unit affects the amount of assistance. I was unable find there an explanation of what Unit Size represented.

Is anyone familiar with this table and know what "Unit Size" represents?
 themaven
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/20/2008 1:01:51 PM
unit size is persons. 1 is for single person, 2 is for 2 people etc. regardless of age. So a single parent with one child would be a 2 as would a married couple.

Then it is categorized or broken down by a/b/c etc. click on the link and those categories will be defined. Employable, over 65, barriers to employment etc.
 worldscollide
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:20:43 PM
There's a lot of middle class rage in this thread. Wow.

I'd share my opinion and anecdotes, but it's not a black and white issue, and I think I've posted too much lately in other threads. I don't want every post I make to be a novel!

I think you can get my position from what little I have said, anyway.
 ritawayward
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/20/2008 2:35:58 PM
If anyone is truly ready/willing/able to work, they can find a job.
MSG 50

Are you only basing that on your experience and of those you know?
What you have said was ALWAYS true for me until now!

That is a fallacy that is growing larger as min wage job signs can be seen in stores and restaurants
all over the mainland and Victoria.

I have been applying at all the places that have signs for which I have experience for the past year and a half in Vancouver(since I moved here mostly for the increased volume of job opportunities). I have a combined 30 years in retail and restaurants. I spent the first year here (aside from the self employed work I do)pounding the pavement 9 - 5 five days a week just like the average job looking for a job. That is what I was trained is the way to get employed. I am over 50 and can not work over 20 hours a week(standing) due to a job induced permanent back injury. NONE of the over two hundred restaurants and bars where I have applied want anyone over 30 at entry level(or any level) and NO ONE wants part time! They are not allowed to say they don't hire a certain age so they don't say it! Each time I go back to follow up they have hired someone with no or little experience who is between 19 -25. Employers complain that those kids turn over rapidly because they don't want a dead end min wage job and training them is wasted and YET they will not hire me with tons of experience! I would stay many years if treated minimally well because I like that work and need the money to supplement my own work. Employer's don't care! It is clear I do not fit their corporate image (really means I am not the age of their target market).

So please, do not over generalize like this. Women who want to work who have raised children,reducing their role in the work force to part time to do so, who are now middle aged are really having difficulty finding even cleaning work (which I can no longer do because of the back thing I tried it!)
I meet them at interviews ALL the time! AND... I am one of them.

This admission may loose me a few potential dates,but it is too important not to shine a light on!
Whoever I may loose over this I have to believe doesn't deserve me! lol
 Not Man Pretty
Msg: 115
Posted: 8/20/2008 6:18:42 PM
There's a lot of middle class rage in this thread. Wow.
Middle class rage.What does that mean?
I'm sure the posters in this thread know folks who genuinely need assistance and those who
are too lazy to work,yet think it is their right to rip off the system. I know both.
Get rid of the rip-offs and increase assistance to those who need it.
I'm thinking of single mothers whose dead beat partners have deserted their families and
the mothers are still doing the right thing as best they can. Those children are victims and
need our help. Good on those mothers.
Don't get me started on the young males I know,too lazy to work ,yet on Mardi Gras day
they're down at the pub drinking imported beer and outside smoking TM's at 10 bucks
a pack.
They laugh at those who work for a living.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:02:50 PM
The Purpose of Welfare was originally conceived for those who have suffered a financial Misfortune to assist them to get back on their Feet. It was never intended to be a Way of Living.

Nevertheless, some Situations do not fit the common Groove and need to be compensated or adjusted for. At one Time the Social Ministries used to hand out Welfare Cheques like Candy, and many were working on the Side for Cash under the Table, and the Welfare was only their Monthly Bonus Spending Dough. I am glad they have tightened up on it, and require People to show Proof of Job Search and Need.

I don't know what Percentage, but much of the Money designated to provide the bare Essentials do not go there. I agree with Direct Gov't Rent Remissions, Food Stamps, etc. This won't stop all the Abuse & Waste, but curb it to some Degree.

In the Case of People who seem to have Lots of Money left over for Non-Essentials, report them to Social Services, after all its your Tax Money they are getting.

Many Companies prior to Welfare Bonanza Cutbacks, couldn't get Workers to put in more than a few Days a Month so as not to jeopardize their Handouts. When the Gov't started to raise the Eligibility Criterias, Workers were suddenly knocking on every Door desperate in Search of Work.

So I am all for Clamp Downs on Welfare Fraud, as well as assisting People to get back on their Feet and earn their Income.

I am over 50 and can not work over 20 hours a week(standing) due to a job induced permanent back injury.

You may be eligible for WCB/Disability Payments. Can you not change your Profession(s) to suit your physical Limitations? Many People become Accountants or take on clerical Work so certain Disabilities are not Obstacles.
 ritawayward
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:47:25 PM
You may be eligible for WCB/Disability Payments. Can you not change your Profession(s) to suit your physical Limitations? Many People become Accountants or take on clerical Work so certain Disabilities are not Obstacles.

I am not eligible as I was working part time at several jobs (as back then none would hire full time when I WAS capable!)and my disc finally blew on the set of my self employed job, Even though my discs were trashed by bartending and were a proven ticking time bomb for many years previous to my final injury
I investigated all avenues in that regard, of course! There are many of us who fall between the cracks.

There is so much not considered when you make an assumption like the one I have quoted above.
"Clerical and Accounting". That's where anyone authoritarian or linear thinking immediately goes when they hear a general account of my circumstances.

I have not been able to get past grade nine math (because it is Algebra, physics either)
neither of which I need to do Basic Accounting, which I have done running a small business part time for a long time. However, without ALL the maths through grade 12 I am exempt from a lot of opportunities, those who struggled(or not) with and passed math never have to think about that again, nor are they likely to EVER do algebra again!(particularly on the job).

I wasn't a bartender because I lacked foresight or ambition! I excelled (VERY early on) in every way in a field that is notoriously difficult to make a viable living at so I supported what my faculties were designed for with labour jobs until I literally "broke" my back as moving up was limited in general and visibly limited to males in particular.(still is but less so)

I used to "fix" my Math genius brothers' English, Arts and Foreign Language Papers for University
at age 10! But, I could not wrap my mind around the Math they breezed through and fondly consider a hobby to this day. I tried many times at many stages in my life to get my math equivalency. It is not because I am not willing to do the work!I did the work ... over and over!I cannot see the patterns like many do and that was finally acknowledged in testing after many grade nine upgrade classes for mature students through my adult years. Thousands of tax dollars(and my own) were spent on banging my head against that particular wall! And for many other mainstream fields for which I am screamingly unsuited.
The employment system loves to test and my skills and thinking processes repeatedly fit into 5% of those tested.
That is not a good thing in this system the world honours generally speaking and I am not bragging when I state that it is just a fact and accounts for all that is GOOD about me too.

Math is the gatekeeper to an overwhelming majority of opportunites in many fields and was created as such BY those for whom it is a second language and for the fields for which it was essential.
I believe because of the predominance of linear businesses spawned from the computer age
that the situation is even more dismal for the MANY people in my position.
They may not have "artsyness" as a handicap, or bad math skills but,they have something from the myriad things available to a personality that keeps them on the outside of mainstream,liveable wage employment. Not all valuable work is recognized nor are all valuable people in our current and long standing system!
 worldscollide
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2008 9:17:43 PM
I just wanted to say that I feel for you, Rita. I know that different people have different gifts and some people just don't 'get' math, or grammar, or 'fill in the blank'. That's why there are tons of aptitude tests out there, to focus on the sort of thinking you are strong in, and go from there.

I also have a back injury but I soldier on nonetheless. I can empathize with you very much and I hope that something happens for you in the future.
 Girlymama
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/20/2008 11:09:58 PM
Or we could all quit our jobs, stop paying taxes, and go out and learn how to make a bow drill to start a fire for warmth, bow and arrow to kill a deer and use a solar still to collect water....learn how to make a debris hut(or any hut) and park it wherever we choose since owning land is just part of this 'pretend game' we started so long ago and got so involved in we forgot it was a game....
there is food in abundance all around us and yet we aren't "allowed" to just do what every other creature on earth does and take from it....not even an apple from the tree in that guy's backyard....could grow a garden but need to buy the land to do it on...make sure you pay a grand or so a month too, just to have somewhere to lay your head!

wah wah boo hoo.
everyone hates their jobs or at least resents having to do them just to survive....and then sees people who've figured out how to skim by and gets pissed at *them*? please.

blame the gov't for making you pay taxes to support welfare recepients. the recipients have simply found a way to make the machine work for THEM instead of the other way around.

what about the politicians who do****all and get paid enormous amounts of cash just to make decisions about people's lives who are so far on the other end of the spectrum they can't POSSIBLY do any good....

don't hate the playa, hate the game.....
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/29/2009 2:52:52 PM
How about someone who is "disabled"; do some people believe it's a fake in order to get a free handout? What, in your mind, constitutes a true disability?

I have osteoarthritis in both knees & spine, as well as plantar fasciitis in the right foot. I have acute, throbbing pain from swelling joints if I'm standing in one spot for longer than 5 - 6 mins, and sleep can be interrupted by a sudden wrench of the leg as I turn over. It's chronic, and I'm told I cannot have anything done to surgically correct it. I get told "lose 10 lbs" (btw I lost 27 lbs so you'd think that would make a difference? NOT.) Also I've been often accused of inventing any excuse I could in order to procure the permanent disability status. One person even claimed I 'hit the jackpot' finally by developing arthritis.

How COLD can people be??!

I understand the resentment and frustration expressed by those who work very hard to put a roof over their (and theirs') heads, and I hate that there are abusers of the system who don't care whom they're hurting by scamming, etc .. but I wonder if that blankets ALL recipients, even those on disability, simply because some people seem to not have any 'real' reason to be on it?

So what qualifies as a legitimate reason to receive welfare?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 121
Posted: 1/29/2009 3:52:23 PM
How about someone who is "disabled"; do some people believe it's a fake in order to get a free handout? What, in your mind, constitutes a true disability?

Welfare has nothing to do with Disability, nor was Welfare ever designed to supply anyone with a permanent Living.

Go here »» How do I apply for disability benefits?
 Straight Christian Lady
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/29/2009 4:00:18 PM
I'm already receiving benefits so thanks but the link isn't necessary.
Welfare has nothing to do with Disability, nor was Welfare ever designed to supply anyone with a permanent Living.
Go here »» How do I apply for disability benefits?
I think I get what you're saying', tho'; Disability is a provision for those who are unable to function at a job due to a limiting condition. Is that about right?
It's just that it appears connected to Welfare, at least in office procedure and the overall 'feel' of it. I still get the impression of being patronized.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 123
Posted: 1/29/2009 4:08:07 PM
Disability is a provision for those who are unable to function at a job due to a limiting condition. Is that about right?

The Link I posted defines that.

Welfare = Provincial Gov't
Disability = Federal Gov't
 FreeCycling
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/29/2009 6:25:30 PM
I agree that too many "Corporate Welfare Bums" are being given too much money

to burn at the taxpayers expense.

The Olympics will be full of them.
 mrchicken
Msg: 125
Posted: 1/29/2009 6:56:42 PM
It is often the case that a society is best measured by the treatment of its less able!

Something like that. I don't know who said it, but I never forgot it.

Direct welfare costs to our government are a pittance compared with cost of mantaining even one of our armed forces war ships.

I don't know if that is actually true, I was told that by somebody, and I never forgot that either.

I often have trouble remembering my own phone number though.

As to
Welfare = Provincial government
Disability= Federal government
SEMANTICS
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!