Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moneyforyou
Msg: 126
Welfare recipients with money to burn!Page 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
they might also have a sugar daddy or 2 on the side. - like me
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 127
Welfare recipients with money to burn!
Posted: 2/3/2009 10:12:07 AM
I know a number of people on permanent disability. Believe me, you wouldn't want to trade your life for theirs. Not even considering the daily pain, but having to feel like a beggar, when the whole world was up for grabs before being disabled.

I admire and respect these people. They keep slogging when a lot of people would have just quit and drowned in depression.
 viper6996
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/3/2009 10:35:48 AM
What, in your mind, constitutes a true disability?

I my mind it's NOT a condition requiring medical attention that was caused by years of

-ramming Big Macs down one's gullet,
- getting pissed for weeks at a time without eating anything,
-smoking a pack a day,
-sparking up phatties
-snorting copious amounts of Bolivian Marching Powder

Life is stressing you out? Talk to your doctor and get some help to get your head on straight. It's alot easier than you think and it was something I personally should have done years ago.

I got no problem footing the bill for anyone wanting to get back on track.

I have no time for anyone that refers to welfare day as pay day for more than a year.

Any female on welfare for more than a year should have the baby factory shut down by law.

But that's just me.
 DAKOTATRUCKCOUNTRY
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/4/2009 5:55:01 PM
"Should welfare recipients have the choice to spend tax payer money on what appear to be non-essential things that others cannot justify spending the money on?"

No, No, annnnnnnnnnd, No.

If they can afford these non-essential things, then what the heck are they doing on welfare, being an expense to us taxpayers, that have to make a LEGIT living, to afford these things.

Unless they are physically unable to work, and on a disability plan of some sort, then not a proble.

However, IF, theyare capable of working, BOOT their A S S back to work, and get them off of welfare, so we don't have to pay for their cost of living.

Welfare is ONLY an essential IF you need it, as a temporary interm, it is not to be abused.

I beleive that one MLA at the time, Claude Richmond treated welfare like E/I, on it but got to be looking for WORK, or ELSE, you loose your benefits.
 mrchicken
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/5/2009 12:54:08 PM
Yeah right boys, I am a disability case since 2007.
Over the years I have been on and off the welare system as my health deteriorated, and I make no bones about it.

These people that actually believe welfare people are getting away with something are really something else! I read some of these comments an I interpret them something like this.

Yeah OK, give these wefare bums and disabled people a few bucks. Just make sure I'm able to view their GROVELLING and SUFFERING at all times. I think it might be a good thing if these people could be easialy identified so that they could be reported to the authorities if anyone was to see them having fun. I do not think it is right that my tax dollars be used for such frivolous purposes as to allow these people to enjoy life . Maybe there should be a law allowing anyone to kick these people if we feel that they are not SUFFERING enough to satisfy their personal critera as to being needy. After all everyone pays taxes.

THIS TYPE OF THINKING NEEDS TO CHANGE
 Ticketoride
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:47:56 PM
These people that actually believe welfare people are getting away with something are really something else!

Nice PR Job. I know of a Half a Dozen either on Welfare or Disability who are scamming the System as an Income Supplement, working on the Sides undeclared. Don't speak for everybody, you don't know them all.

Welfare is not a Way of Life. It bridges some rough Times so the Person has an Opportunity to get back on his Feet and lead a Productive Life.

THIS TYPE OF THINKING NEEDS TO CHANGE

Yeah, "The World owes me a Living" Philosophy. That went Buh-Byes 20 Years ago. Good Riddance.

After all everyone pays taxes.

If Welfare-ites have enough Money to pay Taxes, why do they need Welfare?
 shiraz21
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2009 2:28:01 AM
I can only comment on the things I know. If things have changed I apologize in advance.....

From the knowledge base of friends and colleagues who work in the field...When call display first came out it was a godsend for women who had left abusive or stalking-type situations to monitor phone calls coming in and to alert the authorities they were supposed to as to the situation at hand.
I do agree that young people with children on welfare is a sad state of affairs. However, you are making the assumption that these individuals can make the right choices and know how to progress in society as a whole. However, to endeavor to treat even the lesser of us worse than animals takes away our humanity or potential for true civilisation.

Yes the welfare is scammed on one level or another. Most use the welfare system as it is intended.
To my knowledge for a parent with one child it was $904.00 per month allowed as a maximum. When was one month's rent for parent and child less than $800.00 per month? 104 to decide who gets paid. Hydro, gas, food, transportation, childcare, prescriptions, school costs, and those are basics. Now I don't know what the amounts for child benefits are, gst, but the childcare subsidy was knocked down to $300 in 2003 and I know daycare can cost up to 1500/month. So you pay someone not necessarily a professional and the cost might go down 5 to $600.
Welfare will pay children's medical and dental not an adults unless it is an emergency....hence the er facilities over crowding...
If one does not make a certain amount then those people can qualify to have medical paid for but that applies to anyone.

I have gone in to welfare offices and seen young teenagers who are on the system wearing better quality clothing ( more expensive) than I could afford with 2 jobs. However, individuals on that system ( not disabled) do not make the same reasonable decisions you or I may . Alot of their decisions are based on lack of experience, lack of actually knowing how to make the first step.
Where is the solution? Well taking money away didn't solve the problem for the Liberals and putting money in didn't solve the problem for the NDP so my ultimate guess is that money is not the issue. Although the money needed to solve the problem is far more than this low operating cost. The government uses the lesser of two expenses.
Here's the kicker. If you know someone is scamming but haven't reported them? Why not?
Perhaps the better clothes, expensive electronics, booze, and w.h.y. is the ever opportunstic criminal element that takes at will.

Working for welfare is a noble idea however, one can not ignore the possible scamming from various employers. And then the governing body to oversee such a mamoth.... oh the costs the costs would be enormous!!! Even if you outsourced the monitoring body, the government would still have to have studies done, and research for implementation, new policies, new procedure and a cabinet minister would have to be appointed.
Oh boy now the working stiff has to get a third job!!!! More politicians!!! Great!
I could be a politician... I can't come up with a solution either.
Phew! AND I thought this circle could be broken......

Shiraz21
 Ticketoride
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/6/2009 3:50:13 AM
Most use the welfare system as it is intended.

Yet to see one. They must be hiding or something, because the ones I happen to run into are simply sitting on their Laurels screaming for more support and using it as an Income Supplement, usually to sustain a Drug Habit.

Same with the "Disabled". Most work under the Table and are often getting high 3-figures monthly because of Arms, Elbows and what not that are "supposedly" out of Order.

We obviously cannot make one single Statement for Everybody. Nor do I wish to see those who truly suffer not get the Help they need.

Most of the Welfare Proponents support Welfare for Life, which is not what it was ever intended to be ... for Mama Gov't to nurse them into old Age. I know what they are all about, and their Objectives are anything but noble. Have you ever heard them say to get off the Dole and get your Life back into Order? Nope, "Poor-Me" screaming for more Handouts.

I would bet better than 80% would be kicked off the Public Tit in a Flash if you were to covertly Video them 24/7 for even 1 Week, according the Eligibility Standards.

Well taking money away didn't solve the problem for the Liberals and putting money in didn't solve the problem for the NDP so my ultimate guess is that money is not the issue.

Well, its my Money being remitted to the Gov't, thus I have a say, and yes it is an Issue what gets looted out of my Pocketbook.

If you know someone is scamming but haven't reported them? Why not?

More than plenty. With proof too.
 Chevy Girl 78
Msg: 134
Posted: 2/6/2009 4:15:40 AM
Went to my friends sisters place for New Years this year. It is in a complex of subsidized housing. You wouldn't know it though. Almost every single house had a new car nicer than mine!!!! I was like wtf? I make decent money and bought what I could afford and all of these places with people who require government help have nicer cars?? That just doesn't make sense. What really got me was the big ford diesel with a trailer hitch that looked well used. I asked my friends sister if that truck was a visitor or a resident, she replied that it belonged to a resident and that they have a nice boat that they tow all the time. I've been seriously considering going on government assistance since then!!!!!!!
 mrchicken
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/6/2009 8:38:59 AM
Well punch my ticket! I t must be nice to live in a black and white world; however, for most people life is just not that SIMPLE !
For most of us life and the choices we make are a little more complex, and are dictated by many shades of grey .
There are times that I wish things were simply black and white, but thats just not realistic is it.
Recieve $900 from welfare for mother and one child. Rent costs $800 now what would you do?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/6/2009 10:55:21 AM
Well punch my ticket! I t must be nice to live in a black and white world;

You just make these Assumptions out of thin Air or does this have any Bearing on what I posted?

You mean the Guy that only rips off the Gov't occasionally or doesn't declare his Income is a "Gray Zoner". Anything and everything exists inbetween, and that is why the Gov't has Guidelines in respect to Eligibility.

If you are capable of working in any Form, you should be seeking work, not looking for a Hand to feed you.

however, for most people life is just not that SIMPLE !

Its not simple for working stiffs either who barely make enough Money to get by when they are taxed to the Tune of better than a third of their Paycheck, and don't have anything left to give to the "Look at Poor Me" Crowd.

Recieve $900 from welfare for mother and one child. Rent costs $800 now what would you do?

What most Mothers do. Find a Job that pays the Bills. As I said before, its a temporary Crutch to help you climb back out of the Abyss that you have gotten into.

I have never received a Dime of Gov't Handout, even when I had less than a few Bucks in my Pocket 30 Years ago. I always find a Way, always find a Job or something you can do someone is willing to pay for ... always !!!

What I don't do is wait for anyone to give anything to me, and then make a Lifetime Career of it.

You are looking for the divine Gov't Hand again. I cannot comment on your specific Situation, as I know nothing about it. My previous Post nails the Majority who abuse Welfare and Disability, who wish to slide into Retirement on the Back of the Taxpayer.
 themaven
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/6/2009 11:13:53 AM
Nothing frosts my cookies more than the people who use and abuse the social safety net, and yes, there is a very large component of people on the system who know exactly what they have to do in order to keep up their abuse.

There is no quick and easy fix or solution to this problem either. In order to regulate the user case loads have to be manageable. Sadly there have been so many cuts to front end service positions within the provincial govt, the vast majority of workers never meet the client face to face anymore. It is all done by phone call and drop off of paper work. There was a lot to be said for face to face interviews and home visits. That however, has gone by the way of the dinosaur.

That is one of the only ways to actually begin regulatory efforts. There is much that is picked up with body language and what is unsaid in an interview process, now the scammers have the ability to just talk on a phone, no one can see them and with that anonymity comes a whole lot of power and control.

Funnily enough there is no end to the public biatching about people abusing the system and biatching about public servants. Amazingly the only way anyone is going to get a handle on this "dole out" is to have people managing it, face to face. Then they can follow up on suspicious actions etc.

Anyone who has a legitimate need for the assistance has nothing to fear if more stringent application and ongoing support processes were implemented.
 mrchicken
Msg: 138
Posted: 2/6/2009 4:53:23 PM
Hold on just a minute here!
I am computer stupid, so I ask Ticket man ,
What percentage of Canadian Government Revenue is actually generated by income tax?

LLAYNE, I can't believe you begrudge a welfare person the income from recycleables.

All I am saying is we are not all equally able, and not all levels of ability are easially measured.
Pierre Trudeau established an important Canadian policy declaring that Canada would be TOLERANT.

I try to be tolerant of others, even though I'm a jerk sometimes.
Time for a group hug!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 139
Posted: 2/6/2009 6:20:56 PM
What percentage of Canadian Government Revenue is actually generated by income tax?

You can search Google for that, or any other Tax Breakdowns.

Pierre Trudeau established an important Canadian policy declaring that Canada would be TOLERANT.

"Tolerant" does not equate to robbing hard-working Peter to pay idle & useless Paul.

A charming Gentleman leaving us an Inheritance of a $ 300 Billion Debt.

Time for a group hug!

Hug back. Now go and get a Job.

1 single welfare recipient collects 7 grand a year

Indiscretionally and lavishly appropriated Welfare Sums attracts more open Hands, like more Flies to larger Cow Patties. The System cannot possibly function without re-acquiring the Status of the Welfare State if its not trimmed down to the bare Bones. Its an Emergency Contingent, not a Path through Existence. The current low Welfare Cheques are a great Incentive to get off Dole and find some Work. A Welfare Life should not be encouraged.
 DAKOTATRUCKCOUNTRY
Msg: 140
Posted: 2/6/2009 6:31:43 PM
Welfare should ONLY be available to those that are physically or mentally diable, and cannot work, and for those ones, who are in transition between jobs, who are capable of, and are legitimitly looking working, and who are waiting for their first E/I check to come in.

Once it does come in, then get off of welfare.

Otherwise, the lazy bums who are capable of working, but are making a living off of welfare, get off of it, and get their lazy a s s e s out there and look for work, instead of being a burden.

If ANYONE, got their hands on the Federal Governments, Action Plan For Canada, 2009 Budget, there are provisions in there that the Canadian Government has alloted X amount of dollars to the employment sector.

Allowing Canadian to apply for, for any job training, schooling, funding or whatever they need, to get them back to work.

Budget 2009: Canada's Economic Action Plan
http://www.budget.gc.ca/2009/home-accueil-eng.asp

There you can download this action plan as a PDF file, or have a look at it, on the website as an HTML file.
 PhatFat the WaterRat
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/6/2009 6:55:05 PM

Here's the kicker. If you know someone is scamming but haven't reported them? Why not?

as mentioned before,... because it is their children who will end up paying the greater price??
 shiraz21
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2009 9:51:01 PM
Well here's one for ya... I know from experience that finding a job as a person with disabilities is not what it is cracked up to be. Employers will more than willingly take your resume and tell you the chances of getting employed by them is nil. Why hire someone with disabilities when you can hire someone without? From a business stand point it makes perfect sense. Why hire two people to do one job? When the employer can hire one person for the job? I see things from both sides because I have walked on both sides. The ones ( the fancy vehicles and lifestyles) that abuse the system are not the individuals one should P!ss off. Ultimately they will never hurt if there's a work for welfare. These individuals will not work.

The thing that just bites is the immigrants who are not even landed immigrant status and they receive $2400 per month plus full medical and dental plus bus fare/ fuel for a vehicle plus damage deposit if they need it plus legal representation for any thing they may need it for including infractions against our laws. Welfare is the least of my worries. Paying someone MY money to sit on their a$$ cause they don'ta speaka tha language? Come on people. They are not even Canadians. Hell they get paid more money than our fellow CANADIANS do. Now that is pathetic!!!
 Life is Always Good
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/7/2009 1:20:10 AM
Like to sit back and say nothing, but I can't. I know the abusers, I also know the people that need help. Abusers, f**k'em get them off the welfare rolls. I know people that are so sick, they ned the meds, the need the in house help.

Something is very wrong with our society if we can't make these people's lives more comfortable. You lay in bed all day, why not have a bigger TV to watch. You're hooked up to IV's 18 hours a day.

Just saying, don't judge untill you've been there.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 2:15:45 AM

Something is very wrong with our society if we can't make these people's lives more comfortable.

One thing I know that is wrong is that the initially well intend social system, be it welfare, medical or help for the lower east side etc have become administrative monstrosities with their own life and an insatiable appetite to breed for growth keeping all those well intended working within in a well paid comfy job.
There are people in serious despair who could use more than they get and there are abusers of the system who will always be there as long as there is no serious effort to get them off. That isn't likely to happen as long as the bureaucrats sit on their warm hands making ever more redundant rules so they can go home feeling proud of accomplishment.
 Icey43
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 9:37:46 AM
"He may not be,,,but I WILL. There has to be a time when certain types of people MUST be accountable for their actions. There are certain people out there that have proven time and time again that they obviously CAN'T make the correct choices on their own. Do YOU expect ME to keep feeding these people a monthly cheque and have them NOT be accountable?????"

Wow, your talking about "OUR" Politicians right!!!!
Because I see my hard earned tax dollars paying their high priced salaries and certainly dn't see them making the correct/honorable choices. Nor do I see them held accountable.
 Icey43
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 9:50:18 AM
Chevy girl 78.
What you fail to realize is subsidised housing is only made up of a small percentage of subsidies.
The rest of the Units are rented out at Market Value.
Hence why you see people with nice cars.
I know this is true as I lived in a complex like that as a single working parent of two kids.
I did not qualify for a subsidy, apparently I made too much money but was still under the poverty line according to the government statistics of the time.

You cannot stand in judgment when you do not have all the facts!!!
Yes there are abusers of a system and there always will be.
Plain and simple if you know someone is abusing the system report it. IT IS YOUR DUTY TO DO SO.
I have worked since I was 14 years old and only been on Welfare briefly during my divorce.
And I have worked up to three jobs at a time to raise my two kids.
Don't judge another until you have walked in their shoes. I cannot convey the humiliation I felt in having to go to Welfare for that check that did not even come close to covering the bare necessities of life. And the way they treated me made me want to crawl in a hole and die. I don't wish it upon anyone.
 pro-filer
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/7/2009 10:21:22 AM

The thing that just bites is the immigrants who are not even landed immigrant status and they receive $2400 per month plus full medical and dental plus bus fare/ fuel

Where do you get this information? It's not true. People who want to move to Canada usually have to have a valid job offer, or show in some other way that they will not be a burden on our social services - ie: family that will support them. They are not entitled to apply for any kind of social assistance until they've been in Canada for a certain period of time (I can't remember if it's one year or 3 years). They do not get "free medical/dental" as soon as they step off the plane or boat; just like everyone else, they have to be in BC for three months before they can apply for a care card and they have to pay the same rates as everyone else. In the meantime, if they want medical coverage, they pay considerably more for it through an insurance company.

Many of the immigrants you see working in the lower-paying job are actually very highly skilled & trained people in their own countries - but Canada doesn't recognize their training. They can pay to upgrade but quite often they are unable to afford for that upgrading - so they take whatever work they can get.

Now, there may be exceptions to that; perhaps refugees are treated differently. I do know there are a lot of myths surrounding immigration, and that most Canadians have no clue how difficult it can be to get into Canada, or how hard it can be to start over here without any kind of safety net other than the family/friends. I know I didn't know this till I actually became involved in hiring immigrants, whether they were already in Canada, or whether we recruited from outside Canada.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 11:33:43 AM

and that most Canadians have no clue how difficult it can be to get into Canada

based on word of mouth from a number of people I've met over the past decade that appears to be the experience for most who try to immigrate from Europe. I was told it costs anywhere from $10,000 to over 30,000 , time not even counted, for one person just to satisfy our bureaucratic policies and it may take a few years before they can actually immigrate as the Canadian government needs time to process and verify information. lol?

In view of the computer/internet age and the speed in which information can be accessed and processed I am beyond comprehension why this would be so costly and take so long.

I've also heard accounts of persons from underdeveloped nations with no sponsors here who make it in less than 6 month and pay next to nothing and not just isolated exceptional cases.
Some of these persons indeed receive substantial aid upon their arrival and ongoing support, including free housing, food, clothing education and monies.

I suppose the immigration department is just like the welfare one, an administrative monstrosity with its own life and an insatiable appetite to breed for growth keeping all those well intended working within in a well paid comfy job.
 Wild Sweet and Cool
Msg: 149
Posted: 2/7/2009 4:57:25 PM
Alright i know this isn't going to be a popular reply but here we go. It's very easy for those of us who lack nothing in terms of material goods and comforts to judge those whose financial situations are dire. The woman that you speak of with call display may have had the unit purchased by a family member, or the service paid for. When my gf had to raise her kids on her own her brother made sure her car ran safely - new brakes tires etc and a skookum stereo system cause he loves her. We need to focus on directing more federal funds to single parents / people living below the poverty line / the elderly and others who are unable to take care of themselves. We need to hit big huge fat greedhead corporations for this money instead of allowing govt to squeeze it out of joe blow from kokomo who's struggling to feed his kids, not penalize low income people who scratch out subsistence livings on social welfare which is s.f.a. What's important - money or human beings? And since when is it a crime to be poor? We need to readjust our attitudes in this area or the stain on our country (and this city) in particular as regards to homeless people and starving people will NEVER been erased. And it's up to us to do it, not snatch a few bucks out of some lady's pocket who has to buy her shirts at Value Village. Come on, man!
 mrchicken
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:31:52 PM
Yeah, what she said !

Fight narrow minded thinking !
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Welfare recipients with money to burn!