Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Non- Mormon Dating a Mormon      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IWontTellYou
Msg: 26
Non- Mormon Dating a MormonPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Shouldn't this be posted in the religion forum?

Geez...this is like saying "My imaginary friend doesn't like YOUR imaginary friend".

Form your own religion together...people do it all the time. (Ha ha ha to cult reference!)
 spitfire6844
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Non- Mormon Dating a Mormon
Posted: 4/25/2008 7:58:36 AM

I read most of these POST and just want to gag on the misinformation about the LDS Religion.

This is coming from a guy who can't even spell Mormon correctly.
 ***blue***
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/25/2008 9:36:58 AM
I didn't read all the other posts but I have been almost exactly in your shoes.
My exhusband was morman, sounds like he treated it alot like your BF does.
I want to tell you not to worry about it or overthink it too much, but who know if his family is anything like my ex's was. The only problem I ever had with them or anything about the religion was when his grandmother found out we were living together and we weren't married yet. It was a little bump because we worked it all out and she didn't hold a grudge, and we eventually got along great again after that.
Just do what feels right to the two of you.
Yes family can make yu misserable at times as long as you and your BF are supportive of eachother through it you'll be ok.
good luck to you OP.
 ***blue***
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/25/2008 9:39:54 AM
Oops I spelled it wrong and I can't edit it so I'll do it here MORMON, and one thing that I will always appreciat and respect about the church is thier Deseret program. Wonderful for struggling families.
Fanatics in anything are bad, people should apply the fanatics attitudes to the regular joes of any religion because they are in no way the same thing. Knowledge is a powerful thing.
 razzired
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/25/2008 9:51:40 AM
You're never going to get straight answers in this type of forum because there's too much misinformation and prejudice out there.

I *am* LDS. I don't fully practice all the tenents anymore, but the basic core is still there.

That sounds a lot like your boyfriend.

If you'd like to email me directly, I'd be happy to offer you my thoughts.

In here, it's a waste of time.
 1dirtysock
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/25/2008 10:43:29 AM
In my teens I dated a mormon, my family went nuts [I was raised Free Will Southern Baptist (Convention)] and anyone who knows about that sort of demonination, has an idea as to the h*** I got from my family and church.

His parents tried to 'convert' me, lol. They had a hard time, but, I was polite and listened. I even went to a church service one Sunday, it was interesting; I didn't do it again [my family 'debriefed me after I got home that day, that was an experience I wish I could forget]. It didn't make any sence to me; what I found with the sect in my area is that they were along the same lines as the FLDS to an extent, without the multiple wives, clothing and living in their own community; they believed that the head of their church and of the LDS church was God's messenger and that he spoke through this 'appointed' messenger to everyone else and any one who was NOT LDS was going to h*** among other beliefs; they also had a lot of rules.

I did find a book about LDS an I read it cover to cover during our relationship that year; I was given one by his parents as well; interesting reading, but in the end, I made my own decision.

Now, my bestfriend is engaged to a former LDS man and she has taken a LOT of slack; his mother went as far as to call her the 'Devil.' She was raised Prodestant and is a non-demoniational Christian; and he has sence left the LDS church [as have his brothers and sisters].

I would not date a man who was a devout (sp?) LDS member, mostly because we do not have the same beliefs and we would argue and fight, which is not something I want to deal with. Debate and exchange opinions on occassion, is fine, but no fights.

Educate yourself and talk to your boyfriend and discuss how any children you might have would be raised, etc. Those things are important in the long run.
 Indigo rose
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/25/2008 11:16:43 AM
I married a Mormon..I converted and for all I know I might still be a Mormon although after my divorce I did chase some of them off of my porch by throwing oranges at one of the bigwigs of the Priesthood. Well they did bring the ammo.
We were not married in the temple as I wanted MY friends and family to be a part of my wedding. I don't have anything bad to say about Mormons. I learned much in my time in the church. Most are wonderful people with well adjusted families.
 jillikins
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/25/2008 11:16:54 AM
Okay, your looking for people who have been through what you are experiencing now. Well, here I am. I was married to a mormon man for 20 years. For the first 10 he was exactly like your bf, not really in to the religion that much, and he even married me in th if yoe Christian church I attended. His family was just like your bf's family, at first. I know theres no way I can convince you, but you really should run far and fast while you still can. His family and culture (especially in that state your moving to) will convince him eventually that he needs to get active in his church and beliefs. This will require him to have a mormon wife and if you do not agree to join, be baptized and go through a temple wedding ceremony, you will be VERY UNHAPPY. They teach the men that they can become Gods and that they are not allowed to "abandon" their family/wife. So, if you don't join, he won't be allowed to become a true God, and if you won't leave, he won't be allowed to leave you, so he will make your time alone with him at home a total nightmare. Everything will appear wonderful to the neighbors, but you will be in a jekyll/hyde situation. I recommend you go to ConcernedChristians.com and get some videos and reading material if you really want to consider this, but my best advice...RUN RUN RUN RUN
 Redfox007
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2008 11:22:21 AM
Well, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders, as the Scripture, (which they have falsely claimed is Catholic , but is from God,) tells us we are to seek those who are of our own ype. (Be not unequally yoked, etc.) and this is a very strong cult for man to over come God. hat is what it was from the very beginning, as Joseph Smith was aa con man in New York, and ripped off his own followers by selling them regular grain, for "Miracle Grain"

God sent Jesus to be The Christ, not someone to stumble over new tablets, and claim it was fgrom God.

Do a background check up on any religion before becoming part of it.
 cordie_from_heaven
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/8/2008 11:14:41 AM

they dont' believe Christ was God but a teacher and a profit

They beleive that b/c that is what the truth is. Christ is NOT God. Christ was the SON of God...as loudly proclaimed by the KJV of the Holy Bible. How can he be God and also the Son of God? Twisted assumptions there.

And it is prophet...not profit. You bring up some stuff from the 1970's....HELLO? Don't you recall that back then civil rights was a HUGE HUGE issue. Not just for Mormons either....

OP: I was raised in the mainstream LDS church. I have NEVER been in a relationship with a member. Based on what you say about your SO, I'm kind of where he is. I beleive in the principles that they teach and I try to live the sort of life that I beleive God would be pleased with. I go to church every now and then and I have been to the temple 5-6 times in my life.

I don't push my religion or beleifs on others and as long as your SO isn't doing that, I don't see an issue. There will always be those that try to cram religion down your throat...whether they be Mormon, Baptist, or Presbyterian. Most of the girls that I have grown up with in the Church have married non-members. Some have converted, some have not.

OP, I guess I would just evaluate your relationship. Think about if you have kids. Welder doesn't have an issue of me raising our daughter in the church. But if you would have a problem with it, then you need to rethink your relationship as most individuals do want their children raised in the church. If you have questions about what they beleive...read the Bible and read the BOM. D&C is also good to read. That way you can better understand their beleifs when someone starts bashing them. You will have read it for yourself.

I have been to numerous churches in varying religions and to this day I have not yet found one that I would be 100% okay with taking my daughter to. Although I don't practice Mormonism to the fullest extent that some may, I will never deny that I beleive the LDS church to be the truth.

Search it out for yourself.

~Welder's Girl~
 Dani_Flaherty
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 2:19:17 PM
First I must tell you that I just came off a very long shift at work and thereby hold to that as my excuse for the following:

I read the title of this thread the following way: Non-moron dating a moron. And after realizing that is a problem that afflicts 98% of the relationships that I have encountered these days, I nearly laughed myself into a state of delirium and was rather disappointed when I read it correctly. Perhaps I should start a thread to answer the questing as I saw it, or perhaps I should go to bed...

Regards,

~Dani
 Kev8362
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/8/2008 4:32:26 PM
Yay! Finally something I KNOW about!

My soon to be ex-wife is a Mormon, and Im a Catholic.

Most of what you say is correct.....if he's willing to get a non-temple wedding, thats fine, but be careful, as his relatives, if they are devout, WILL resent the fact that he wasnt married in the temple. And, as for MANY organized religions, the folks therein have a tendency to look down on those who arent (that poor idiot just doesnt see the light, does he/she?) LDS is NO different. I know MANY LDS memebers and they are as a rule, great people.

The women in the church certainly do have a diminished role...their primary raison d'etre is to have many children and raise them in the faith. You wont read this anywhere, but its definitely a partriarchal faith...women have diminished roles. Theres alot to say, but I dont want my viewpoints clouding your judgement...
 SueCat51
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 4:52:10 PM
OP - the only way you'll find out is if his family resents you because you're non-Mormon. God forbid if they do resent your religion status, what will clue you in (to pursue this relationship) is if he is man enough to step up to the plate and let his family know that they are to treat you with respect, dignity, and civility.

My sister was non-Mormon when she met her husband. He and family are devout Mormons. She wound up converting to Mormon and was married in the temple. My family (as well as myself) couldn't attend the wedding in the temple since we weren't Mormons. Personally, I didn't care. He is a gem of a husband and she couldn't have picked a better man! They've been married for 29 years (happily) and he's been there for her in health/sickness. She has numerous health issues (medical bills are in the millions), but he has always and will always be there for him. They are blessed with 3 wonderful children and 2 grand children.

Yes, it is possible to hook up outside of one's religion and be successful. What it takes is 2 strong people that stand up for their principles, but most importantly, stand up for each other!
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/8/2008 5:04:52 PM
for further info...i suggest you read the book..

'secret ceremonies'
 Johne102
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/8/2008 5:24:14 PM
I dated a mormon lady a few years ago...her friends and family treated me well when I was open to converting. Missionaries bonbarded me trying to get me to convert. As soon as I decided that the LDS church was not for me..my gf at the time her friends and family all treated me awful and said I would burn in h#LL. Her friends even tried to flirt with me to get me to convert.

My advoce is to do what makes you happy but do it for the right reasons. If you do not give into your boyfriend it may not workout.
 RR Man
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2008 8:14:17 PM
That would only be possible if you were baptised into the LDS church, and you both received a temple recommend from the Bishop of your Ward. Its not a temple certificate, its a recommend. It usually means you have been a member in good standing for a period of at lease 1 year.
===========================================================
That ain't all it means, guys. To get a temple recommend, you have to prove that you've given ten percent of your GROSS income to the church during the past year. And the bishop can make you turn over your tax returns. If you don't, you can't get into the temple, and that's important to most Mormons.

I've never been a Mormon, but I've been fascinated with it all my life for some reason. To try and answer your question, OP, Mormons generally frown on marrying out of the faith. And even if you converted, there could be family problems. Let's say you convert, get a recommend and set up a temple wedding. Guess what? Your family would not be allowed to attend the wedding because, as Gentiles (that's the word they use), they aren't allowed into the temple. So your parents have to wait outside while you get married.

And be prepared to have a LOT of kids. Catholics are pikers compared to Mormons. They want to generate as many little Mormons as possible so they'll grow up to be big Mormons and start contributing their ten percent to the church. Same principle as compound interest.

And do you have any idea about how Mormons treat their women? They exist for only one purpose: to bear and raise children. And that business about becoming a god and getting your own planet to populate? That's only for MEN. Sorry, ladies.

Be warned/
 Fsbojim
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2008 4:51:45 PM
Sees how I a replying soo late to the game here, I hope you have made a decisio and the outcome is Gods will and your at least content. As for me..where shall I begin with my experience with a FORMER mormon woman. She was SLDS She was one of 3 wives and her last husband left her when she contracted cancer. The SLDS really REAALLY scarred her outlook. It left her without truley knowing what it takes to run a home..the man Took care of soo much and the "church" did an awful lot too. As of this writing we are not married and I currently live in a diferent state then she. She will not commit to marriage (my opinion). She wanted to be so indempendent she actually dleted me from her Myspace page. There is soo much to tell from my end...If you date a Mormon or FORMER mormon and you ARE a born again Christian, you have to talk and understand where you stand in the relationship compared to the Mormon churh or the Mormon past. Women who are/were Mormon will do a lot cause its WHAT IS EXPECTED. Not till later will he/she say that they do things cause its what they THINK you wanted. Meaning they FORCED themsleves to not be themselves. It can be long and covoluted situation. Be careful, be thoughtful and DO NOT ASSUME ASK and ASK again later on. im on messingr jlm9723 for contak. If you want to discuss javascript:smilie('')
 fulibard
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 2:23:23 AM
i have a strained friendship with a mormon that i truly love to death, but i feel she considers me as nothing more than a backup friend of convenience . ...
I agree whole heartedly that the LDS folks are some of the nicest most friendly people you will ever be blessed to know. But they really do have some quirky ideas inside and outside of their ward's. This will be especially noticeable if you have been brought up in a mainstream religion.
ive found it best to just have a live and let live attitude with them. But unless you are "one of them" you will always be an outsider no matter on how good of terms you are with them.
 seekndestroy
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2009 2:36:28 AM
DONT DO IT !!!!! hehehe

actually my ex is mormon, same as your bf she is not active in it.... her beliefs/practices werent the problem but for a while her parents were... they tried to "bribe" her (to break up with me) with college tuition, new car and such as well as other more subtle pressures.... they tried to convert me and even had the church sent people to our house (after marriage) to "talk" to us (well mainly me).... eventually i had to make it very clear that i didnt believe nor care for their religion and that i had already reserved a parking space in hell for myself.... after a few years they finally gave up and accepted me for what i was... once my kid was born they were very happy cause now they had a new grandchild... of course now im sure that they are soon going to start putting pressure on my kid...if they havent already.....

but then again, that was my experience, it dont mean it will be the same for you.... good luck
 bella4908
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/16/2009 2:45:58 AM
Mormons rock! I am not mormon but go to their church on and off. They are christians. They have sacrement at every service. They throw awesome parties. The guys make great husbands and help with the kids. Call your local mormon church and go there. You will love it! I haven't joined since I am a smoker.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 9:52:02 AM
Mormons are nice people; but outsiders have a hard time being around the families unless they buy into the values and lifestyle of their faith 100% (unless you find a "jack mormon" who is no longer active). Dating one casually will ensure that you remain a permanent outsider---tolerated, but not really part of anything.

They beleive that b/c that is what the truth is. Christ is NOT God. Christ was the SON of God...as loudly proclaimed by the KJV of the Holy Bible. How can he be God and also the Son of God? Twisted assumptions there.

You don't know what the KJV says at all. :laugh:
 fulibard
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 10:51:54 AM

Dating one casually will ensure that you remain a permanent outsider---tolerated, but not really part of anything.

TRUTH!!!!!

its truly a shame too, if you subtract all the quirkiness that their faith instils in them. They are a rule are truly beautiful, bubbly and loving people. It drives me nuts that they are the only types i really click with,

Archangel46
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/17/2009 12:31:26 PM
If dosant not matter and that will only have to change if and when you get married.
The only thing they may a problem with is your sleeping arrangements. Some mormon groups can be like strict cathelics not all only some.

I'm not mormon as such but I'm a direct descendant of the founder of the mormon church.

Hal 9000
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2009 1:01:17 PM
I'm more peaked by your notion he entered a rebound marriage. How does such a thing happen? Some people must really leap into the quagmire before looking. I'm also so inclined to believe your suitor's religious convictions can't be at all serious if he jumps from one immortal union consented by God's grace into another rebound union consented by God's grace while God is ever getting ready in his supreme omniscience in preperations to blessedly consent to his third union consented by God's grace! I never could quite understand these holy serial matrimonial relationships in wild succession made any sense at all.
 Fsbojim
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2009 4:48:27 AM
6/03-- I dated and was engaged to a Mormon woman. I read what you said about your beliefs and his current practices of the Mormon faith. First of all, Mormons are usually people of good character. If you "pick and choose" practices of your particular belief system and he isnt an active member of a temple,,,,then your asing a moot question...why even bother asking the religous issue?...not being unkind, just observing...if you dont follow any doctrines and he doesnt then go to Chilies and call it a day.

Jim
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Non- Mormon Dating a Mormon