Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Toronto Blue Jays fans      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 slysterling
Msg: 26
Toronto Blue Jays fansPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^^
No worries. i was on the road for twenty years. i always sleep with my bum to the wall and my mouth shut.
Thanks for the heads up though, but I doubt wizzy swishes that way anyway. i think he's still doin' the old lady that he burned down her picnic table. But maybe him and that irish bloke might have a thing going. i dunno. I don't wanna know either.

--------------
Oh ya, the jays. One thing about Toronto. They feed off their papers. If the Toronto Star tells everyone that a manager should be fired, then guess what? It usually happens, and it usually happens after a few weeks of solidifying the rant. Riccardi's days are now numbered once the papers in hogtown start saying it's so:

"Surely Ricciardi will be the next to go"

"""...There are several reasons to believe the Ricciardi era is coming to an end. His seven-year regime was in trouble last winter, but he convinced the powers that be in the Rogers tower that the reason for last year's failure was injuries. Give him one more chance with a healthy team ... and they did and he hasn't won.

Ricciardi is clearly feeling the heat of late. When he ripped into Adam Dunn on his own radio show three days ago as the result of a probing question from a fan, while at the same time questioning Jays fans on their baseball intelligence, Paul Godfrey was furious. The prez is the consummate politician and knows you don't bite the hands that feed you.

As for the incident with Dunn, the Reds outfielder and all of his friends and many others in the very close-knit players union will now have nothing to do with Ricciardi and the Jays into the future. It was tough enough to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox when Ricciardi wasn't perceived as a loose cannon and a foreigner.

If the Jays were ever seriously considering allowing Ricciardi to continue in his role, they aren't now. The word "clown," as used by Dunn in his description of the Jays GM, was devastating to an organization that has always prided itself on its dignity.

Make no mistake, the hiring of Gaston was not the embattled GM's idea. The statistics-driven, micro-managing Ricciardi likes his managers to be beholdin' to him – see Carlos Tosca and John Gibbons, two men never considered to manage elsewhere, but given the chance of a lifetime with the Jays. Gaston is not J.P.'s type: a proven winner more popular than J.P. himself. He is, however, nostalgic president Godfrey's type.

...It was impossible for Godfrey not to notice the phenomenon each spring when Gaston showed up in uniform and every time he made the long walk from the clubhouse to the dugout in Dunedin, he'd be greeted with a standing ovation that never stopped until he ducked out of sight. The more time goes by, the more Jays fans revere him.

It's called nostalgia. Wise guys have made a fortune selling it to Baby Boomers, of which there are many among the Jays' fan base. Ted Rogers is a wise businessman. Gaston is the right man if you've given up on winning in '08.

Will he make a difference? For ownership, wins become secondary to TV ratings. Gaston will help the old and the faithful. In truth, the only lasting solution to festering fan discontent is making it back to the post-season for the first time in 15 years. """

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/447199
-----------------------------
The part about Gaston bringing the fans back is going to prove true. After Carlos Tosca and this Gibbons chap and that other clown they had fabricating old vietnam stories to his players when he never was in Nam, it's about high time the club brought someone in with some presecence and some class and some success back to the organization. He will definitely rekindle some of the lost fan base over the last 15 years.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 27
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/22/2008 3:15:08 PM
Wiz seems your always trying to get some one in a room with you! Sly watch out!

I don't think Sly needs to worry about me....However I am more concerned with YOU stalking ME in the sport forums. Every post I make, you are right there....

I might have to get a restraining order on you.

ME....

"Surely Ricciardi will be the next to go"

A Worcester native....I remember when they hired him claiming he was going to make a big difference with the Jays. I wouldn't care if he is the next to go, but let's see how Cito does with the team first.
 Just alittle crazy
Msg: 28
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/22/2008 3:47:22 PM

Every post I make, you are right there....

No ............ false allegation again ....... one of many.

But hey ...... who loves you baby!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 29
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 6/22/2008 4:21:53 PM

No ............ false allegation again ....... one of many.

The proof is there, I only state the facts my dear.

You even hesitate when you write....
 areelady
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/5/2008 7:38:24 PM
I am watching the game tonight and its is going great so far. Always great when Halladay pitches. I just got back from seeing the Blue Jays play in Seattle. Wish they had won at least 2 out of the 3. It was my first experience seeing them play live and I just loved it!! Since it was the Canada Day long weekend, there were many Blue Jay Fans and chants and cheering etc. I cannot wait until I go again!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 31
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 1:29:35 AM
The Jays are 9-7 since Cito has taken control....I guess so far so good. I'm thinking he took over sometime in June 20th, I could be wrong.
 captainkirk56
Msg: 32
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 8:00:30 AM
hey...they are a good team......just dont win....oh well.....better than the leafs
 wizardofossington
Msg: 33
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:04:01 AM

hey...they are a good team......just dont win....oh well.....better than the leafs

I maybe taking it out of context, but I am a fan of the Blue Jays too....
 slysterling
Msg: 34
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 11:39:26 AM
Cito and Ricciardi both raised the white flag on this season earlier this week.

"""Wait till next year, Jays say

...The new regime, seemingly spurred by Gaston, is confronting reality much earlier. Yesterday, the manager went further than his boss, speaking of a re-education process that may not bear fruit until next year. Fifteen games into his tenure, Gaston judged that it "might be months" before the team's bats came completely around.

Asked if he meant that the club was giving up on '08, Gaston replied: "That means we're still going to play hard and see what happens. There's a lot of teams to get over the top of here. We're certainly not going to quit. But if you look at that schedule the rest of the way, it's a pretty tough schedule."

Unlike the first half of the year, Toronto's post all-star break dance list is packed with the best of the American League. That includes 33 games against divisional opponents Tampa Bay, New York and Boston.
"I think this is going to be a good, contending ball club next year," the manager said...."""

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/456939
 Enchanted107
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 1:11:48 PM
Holy Moses! Where has this thread been hiding? I am glad there are Jays fans here.

I am looking forward to watching Halladay (10-6) face Joba (2-2) and A-Rod and the Yanks tonight. Hope this match up will have the same result when they first met June 3rd. Joba it seems is nasty as a reliever. Jays appear to like him better as a starter. lol
 Sassafrazzle
Msg: 36
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:22:27 PM
["I think this is going to be a good, contending ball club next year," the manager said...."""]

Sad.. have to wait ANOTHER year?? Anyone getting bored of this routine?!?
 Sassafrazzle
Msg: 37
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:23:24 PM
And cheaper, Captainkirk! At least you can get tickets to Jays games
 Vindicator
Msg: 38
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/11/2008 10:26:45 PM
meh!...they won tonight...and everyone else lost. they get one game closer as a result...
 Enchanted107
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/12/2008 7:14:27 AM
Halladay blanked the Yanks last night! Wow! He has now a majors leading 7 complete games as he represents the Blue Jays in the All-Star. With 11-6 and 2.71 ERA, wonder if they would make him the AL starter.

Holy Moses! Blue Jays at 46-47? Looks like Cito's wish of making it to .500 may happen. Knock on wood.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 40
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/12/2008 9:02:56 AM

Holy Moses! Blue Jays at 46-47? Looks like Cito's wish of making it to .500 may happen. Knock on wood.

I'm impress so far....
 slysterling
Msg: 41
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:10:47 AM
"""...Wow! He has now a majors leading 7 complete games as he represents the Blue Jays in the All-Star. With 11-6 and 2.71 ERA, wonder if they would make him the AL starter..."""

He made a pretty good case for himself last night. We'll see what Francona does on Monday. Cliff Lee didn't hurt his cause any last night either (12-2; 2.31).

"""...Halladay, who now has two shutouts this season and 11 in his career, definitely has the credentials. Beyond the seven complete games this season, the 2003 AL Cy Young Award winner has turned in 33 since 2003 -- more than any other pitcher in baseball. He struck out eight Yankees in his latest start, upping his season total to 121, which is second in the league to only CC Sabathia -- now with the Brewers in the National League.

The nine innings against New York (49-44) increased Halladay's Major League-leading total to 146 1/3 and the lone walk he issued was just his 21st free pass of the year. That represents the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in baseball (5.76). .."""

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080711&content_id=3113777&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor
 Enchanted107
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/19/2008 7:38:55 AM
Oh no! With the Jays in the fourth place (ALE) and 9 1/2 games behind the Rays, and with Halladay emphasizing his desire to play in the World Series, what are the chances that he will be here when the Jays wake up, IF they wake up? He is signed through 2010. I heard he received a bonus of $175,000 for appearing in the All-Star and purportedly the biggest, then he shows this kind of frustration. Even with a very patient guy like Doc, who, no one can question, played consistently, I wonder...
 wizardofossington
Msg: 43
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/26/2008 6:56:02 AM
Jays are over .500 and 17-12 since Cito took over....I smell a little trouble stirring up in the AL east.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 44
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/26/2008 7:51:42 AM
I've thought for a long time now that the Jays had a great team with a lot of potential. They just had lousy leadership.

I think you are right, wiz. The fight for the finish line in AL East is going to be a tight race and probably will have us Sox fans on the edges of our seats. There might be a few cushions getting tossed at the TV and maybe a finger nail or two getting lost in the anxiety! lol
 Enchanted107
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/27/2008 6:22:52 PM
Well, Jays 5- game winning streak was halted today. Losing 5-1 to the Mariners and to Washburn (5-9) who they thought had been traded to the Yanks, they are one game above .500.

With AJ (11-9) not having won more than 12 games in a season due to injuries, not to mention he is on the trading block, the Jays are in a whispering hope situation. ;) But hey, future games are mostly with the Yankees, the Red Sox and the Rays. Spoiler or contender? Dare I hope? Well, not really...But what can I do? At least I can hope for a Cy Young for Halladay.

Yeah, let's get them next year!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 46
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/27/2008 6:49:13 PM

Yeah, let's get them next year!

There's still time this year....
 Vindicator
Msg: 47
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/27/2008 9:28:44 PM
If they play good ball against the top 3... they could keep the doors from closing on them this year....
 Enchanted107
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/28/2008 2:32:23 PM
"Yeah, let's get them next year!"

There's still time this year....

I hope and pray you are right, wiz!
 slysterling
Msg: 49
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/28/2008 7:30:42 PM
Listening to a lot of their series last week against the orioles, apparently with runners in scoring position they've batted 280 since Cito arrived. They were hitting an abysmal 210 before then. 19-13 under Cito after tonight.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 50
Toronto Blue Jays fans
Posted: 7/28/2008 7:33:54 PM
I smell something cooking and nobody is taking notice.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > Toronto Blue Jays fans