Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > wat if she lied about age....... do you continue anyway?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 someonesx
Msg: 51
wat if she lied about age....... do you continue anyway?Page 3 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
OP-I just looked at your profile and no offense; but you look older than your stated age...so my guess is that if she hadn't TOLD you, you'd never have known...and obviously you both have probably been out with friends and family...they never picked up on it...because guess what...her "AGE" is only a fricken number...counting years on earth...her TRUE age is probably 53 which is why you never guessed it...

yikes people make such a big deal about age....last relationship I was in, I was the younger by 13 yrs and no one ever guessed my age, in fact, they thought I was younger than him and no, he knew my actual age before we got involved...

I knew a man that married a woman 12 yrs older and he never knew until they got divorced...he was like wow, I never thought she was any age but the age she said....all those years...food for thought...age is only what you make it to be...
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 52
wat if she lied about age....... do you continue anyway?
Posted: 5/6/2008 10:35:14 AM
Wow Rain seems to have really taken a dislike to the OP...

Rain raged:
you say you are in love with this woman and yet you are willing to let it all go because of a numer?
How long have you been together?...and you didnt find out her age until after you propose?
I think you could just be intimidated because of your own immaturity!!

What I find delightfully contradictory is the fact that she opened said statement with:

yes Dave.......Your an F'n idiot..

Now that's a fantastic display of maturity right there, answering a simple and earnestly-worded query with a snap retort, and an incorrectly spelled one at that... (not only should it have been typed "You'RE A F#^@ idiot...", but it's just plain rude considering the even-tempered tone of his original post)

But grammatical quibbling aside, I feel compelled to ask the various "mature" female posters a question (and I use 'mature' in deference of their chronological age exceeding my mere 28 years).

Say you were dating a man whom you fell for due to several reasons: he was handsome, we was kind, he spent 3 years in the Peace Corps, and is single again due to irreconcilable differences with his past wife... Sounds like a perfectly fine eligible gent, right?

Now say you've been dating for a year or two, get engaged, and SIX months after the engagement he decides to come clean that he was never actually in the Peace Corps (a trait you greatly admired about him, and may have contributed to your falling for him in the first place), and just said it because he thought "chicks like to hear that kind of stuff"...

Is that a deal-breaker? Maybe for some, probably not for most, but it DOES make one at least wonder... Is that the only lie he told me, or is there more deception beneath the surface? Tugging on one loose string of deception can lead to unraveling the entire tapestry of your relationship, dependent on just how many lies they chose to weave in there over the years...

That is what the OP is simply asking, she only came clean SIX months after they got engaged, which Lord only knows is how many months after they first met...

Rain posted: you say you are in love with this woman and yet you are willing to let it all go because of a numer?

He didn't say he had decided to leave her, or that he was even willing to at this point; he simply asked for advice as he contemplates the situation. They way you're going on you make it sound like he kicked the woman out the door and bolted it behind her...

How about waiting until he provides more details or his final decision before sentencing him to the electric chair, shall we?
 *LoisLane*
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/6/2008 10:36:08 AM

1. Does she take good care of herself?

What does that matter. She lied from the beginning.

2. Does she have her act together financially and personally with her family?

She's still a liar about one of the most fundamental truths.

3. Does she care for you? (WELL, SHE TOLD YOU. SHE DID NOT MARRY YOU WITHOUT YOU KNOWING. I GIVE HER POINTS FOR THAT.)

OMG!!! ARE YOU EFFIN' SERIOUS, LADY? You must be prone to tell a lie about your age. However, it is ridiculous to give this woman ANY form of credit for 1) telling and lie and then 2) fessing up to the lie when confronted with the idea of legal paperwork!! Again, she only told the truth when it benefitted her! And you think he owes her something for that?

Ok maybe, he does. "Thanks you lying b*tch!" Before he kicks her the he!! out of his life.

4. Does she have serious health issues now?

If she lied about her age, what makes you think she's going to tell him she's got poor health. She could be hiding that too along with all her medical bills from the plastic surgery that has helped her dupe this man.

5. Do you have serious health issues?

If he does and didn't talk about it before proposing, he's just as bad as she.

6. Can you talk to her and resolve differences?

She has proven manipulative when it suits her. Talking to her with the threat of losing him, will motivate her to lie on her behalf to retain what she wants. It's a little too late for a heart-to-heart about why she lied on something so benign.

The b/f I mentioned before lied to me about something benign before the big lie. He said he liked cats. I believed him. When I introduced him to mine, I learned he lied. That was an indication of what was to come but I overlooked it because, otherwise, he was such a nice guy. Um yeah, right. He was a liar. So is the OP's girl.

7. IS SHE LOYAL AND WILL LIFE BE BETTER WITH HER BY YOUR SIDE?

He!! yeah, she's loyal. To herself.
 zentral
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 10:54:15 AM
Perhaps there is a double standard. Based on many threads I've read in these forums, many, many women would not trust a man who lied about his age or his height for example, and would recommend summarily kicking him to the curb. With a few notable exceptions here, the women posters seem to be advocating giving this liar the benefit of the doubt.

Interesting.
 Indigo rose
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:04:19 AM
Well I believe lying about your age is a woman's natural born right!!!!! What?

Okay lets take a minute to find some positives in this situation shall we?

She must look damn good for her age right? (I rarely admit this but I am Fif...fif..gawd I can't get it out...I am older than forty. You Mister look....just a little older ...did you ever think about Just For Men? $6.98 at a Walgreen's near you!)

Menopause is in her rear view mirror! Big...huge ...bonus right there! Can I get a hell ya from the ladies who have survived "it" and from the men who suffered needlessly from the sidelines...I say needlessly because you got the hell out when the gettin' was good.

She did tell you the truth eventually so she is not a complete liar.
How long did you date before you *popped the question??

The sex must be good. *See popped the question.

She is just that much closer to Social Security! And maybe she will get half her ex's retirement...woohooo Lake Havasu in the winter~!
 Myrna43
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:21:52 AM
I do not lie about my age but I have met several men who do. If they tell me right off that they had lied about their age its no big deal. Age differences mean very little to me but the timing must be right. If the age difference does not bother you let it go but watch for other lies I suppose.

Once I deceived a man by not talking about age and just let him assume what he wanted. Three months into our relationship he saw my drivers license and I could see him calculating the age in his mind . Then without saying it was my age he dumped me shortly after that. To me the fourteen year younger man was being silly but we all have our boundries.
 astoria2105
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:24:04 AM
She lied to you because we live in a youth obsessed society. She probably assumed that you, like most men in our youth obsessed society, are only interested in younger women. I could never understand that one. When I see an old man with a much younger woman, It just underlines the fact that they 'are old' and trying desperately to compensate. I hear men saying 'but I'm not attracted to women my own age' my response is 'And do you really think these much younger women are attracted to you???' Of course not, they are attracted to your money'. How sad, superficial and pathetic.

Your fiance probably deciphered that this interest in younger women is superficial and she set out to prove it...and guess what, she was right. Without knowing it, you were physically attracted to her, you liked her personality, you liked her situation in life, you liked her romantically and their must be some serious chemistry their for you to propose to her. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with this if you were 8 yrs older than her. So what's the real problem here? You didn't have an issue with her as a person...Are you really that concerned about the number??? Are you going for 'your' ideals' or 'society's ideals'. What's more important to you? 'actually being happy' or 'the admiration from other men while pretending to be happy.'

I wouldn't worry too much about her deception. It's not like she was lying about her marital status or her availability to you...on the contrary, she was lying to make herself more available to you.
 c_deacon
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:24:56 AM
Why is it a womans natural right and not a mans???????

This is why I just do not like the whole age thing at all...... You found someone you relate to very well, enjoy, and want to be with to the point of asking for marriage, and now you have all these problems because she is a few years different from you? I do not get it at all......how has she changed in looks, personality, style, and attitude?

I am willing to bet that she is one that has always looked younger than her age, in shape and able to connect with many that are many years different from her without any questions or problems, even with you, until someone makes it an issue......like you have.

Many of us have been there that are lucky enough to bridge that gap with age, and why is it that it has to become an issue? If all is good and you enjoy each other on multiple levels, does it really matter if she is 61, 53, or 43?

Maybe it is time for you to sit down with her and find out why she did this, and it may open many things for you to understand about another that happens to no look their age. She might prefer a vital person like you, since she more than likely is, if you truly believed her to be about 10 years younger, then another that is closer to retirement, looks and acts it.

Just my opinion........
 rivereye
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:30:04 AM
Amyjones,
With due respect, I beg to differ. IMO you should be ready to take responsibility for yourself, and acknowledging fault and apologizing when needed is important.
 someonesx
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:39:19 AM
cdeacon ^^^^^ wow a man who gets that it's only a number

Mary Kay Ash who was an incredible business woman, mentor and certainly a person known for her style of treating people very well felt this way about age:

She is very secretive about her age. She says that "a woman who will tell her age will tell anything".

Now of course Mary Kay didn't have to fill out an application form to be on POF... just wondering what age she would have put though

I did an experiment once with this site when we could change our ages....changed my age to 36 for a week cause at the time I was 46 ...all of sudden men who hadn't written to me, even though they viewed my profile when my "honest" age was showing at that time with the same pictures/profile all of sudden wrote to me -hey you're sexy, blah, blah, blah, yada, yada..

Yikes all of sudden I'm sexy because you think I'm 36 when you didn't think I was worth contacting because I was 46??? Nothing in myprofile had changed except the NUMBER in the age box! For the record, my age is correct

edit:VVVVV yep, men do lie about age as much or more than women do...I met one once told me he was 50ish...he was 63!!! Met another, said he was 46, he was 56 and both gave the same reason....I've seen many profiles on here where men state...I lied about my age but I can't change it now
 Indigo rose
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:42:08 AM
Men ARE allowed to lie about their age (and boy do they lie)! Men are human too!

Some men post the wrong age on their profile. Because if he doesn't that man may never come up in any womans search...hey young nublie women (for the most part) do not want men over fifty.
Some men lie about their age by decades. So not right!
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:46:29 AM
IF the OP is uncomfortable due to the age difference of her being older than him and the OP can honestly tell himself he would not be uncomfortable if he was 8 years older than her, then, yes... that is shallow. But, if the OP is of the mindset that it would be 'uncomfortable' in both situations... then, he is not shallow ... rather... he is consistent and unbiased in his views. ONLY he knows which is the case.

As for the actual lie re' the age. I would definitely have a problem with that. It's a lie. Period. Doesn't give someone the right to lie simply because they might look younger.

Granted, I agree with the Poster who stated the OP looks older, in his photos, than his stated age. But, if he stated his real age and she did not... it still would bother me if I was in position. ... that my love interest had lied.

Do I believe she should be forgiven for the lie? ONLY the OP can decide that. I would give some thought that she told him before the actual marriage took place. Still, a lie is a lie is a lie. If the OP does decide to stay with her, I would stay engaged long enough to have as good as possible indication that there aren't more 'lies' still out there.

An example: You know those signs in Gas Stations, etc. that go on the premise of 'If you don't look 30 years old, be prepared to show ID to buy Cigs or Alcohol'. I get IDed.. right up to the present time - year 2008. BUT... I refuse to put less than my actual age on a dating site.

I know how much I hate it when I meet a dude out and he confesses he is older than what he put on his profile and his photos are a bit outdated. Geez!

Just tell the truth folks. It really does feel good!
 Untoldstories
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:58:50 AM
You fell in love with her, not her age!.
Now you clearly have doubts so shouldn't continue as an issue of trust has arisen between you. Yes she was a little silly to lie but lets be completely honest here, who hasn't told a lie in their life ??. I know I have told a few, not about my age admittedly but age is just a number and if you really want to be with someone, it shouldn't be an issue.
Are you shallow ?. Yes, a little, but so are we all as we all want different things and very few of us compromise enough!
 peregrinate
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:00:21 PM
This thread confirms my suspicion that there are many women on POF lying about their age. And it also confirms several other suspicions I have had about other types of dishonesty regarding the same issue: posting old pictures, deceptively thin pictures, etc. Some may find these things little white lies -- personally, I would be completely offended if someone lied to me about anything about themselves -- especially after knowing them 6 months. If they came clean after a few dates, I would still never see them again, but at least I wouldn't be emotionally invested.

Maybe guys do this sort of thing, too. I don't surf their profiles or date them to find out. I am certainly willing to believe the women who say there is the same kind of thing going on with men, and I think it's equally deplorable. It's funny -- lifestyle choices, kinks, their morality, religion, what kind of mate they want, what they want in life...I say live and let live. But FFS, be honest!

I mean, I could easily advertise myself as ten years younger -- a close shave, some nice clothes, a good pic -- and it would certainly draw younger women to my profile, which would be well and good. But that's not me. And I have a feeling if a young woman posted something here about being deceived by some guy here about his age, height, whatever, many of you women would be on it like flies on manure. Like other posters, I do see that double standard here.
 NCRosebud
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:04:35 PM
I feel that honesty is one of the main cornerstones of a good relationship and agree with those that feel if she'll lie about this...what else is she comfortable lying about?

In another thread talking about lying about age, it was mentioned that some men and women lie about their age to attract a wider group of people. If that is why the person lied, once an interest is expressed I would think honesty would be forthcoming with an explanation as to why the age was understated.

OP, you don't say how long you dated before proposing, but you DO mention that she told you about the lie after "six months of engagement"...which I assume means even more time was spent with this woman in the "courting" phase. I would be very wary of someone that would be in a relationship that long and not share the truth. In fact, I would think it should be mentioned by the first or second date at the latest.

How sad that she has placed you in this predicament.

Good luck,
Rose Mary
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:07:53 PM
Weird...I remember a thread where the guy lied about his age by three years.
The majority of the folk were "LYING IS LYING" plain and simple. If he lies about his age there's no telling what else he's lying about. RUN...RUN FAST............You can't trust him anymore. Once a liar always a liar.

Interesting how different the answers are on this thread.
 yngwierocks
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:17:26 PM
Mendacity is unacceptable if you want to be married to this person. Granted, people lie. But to a potential spouse? What happens when you are married to this person, suddenly they will start telling the truth? You have every right to marry or not marry for your own reasons - because you decide who to marry when it is you getting married. I'm not suggesting dumping this person right away and I'm not saying go ahead and marry her - but is it an issue or flag? Saying that it's an issue or flag is a drastic understatement.
 CentralValgal
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:26:55 PM
I think you may soften when you are over 50 and people discriminate against you because of age. You will find you may be forced to lie too. I have seen it and know how that hurts. I do think she should have told him sooner. But that was her choice. And shc can certainly work to regain that level of trust. Full disclosure is now necessary. Some men would have said, it does not matter, I love you. I DON'T THINK THAT IS HAPPENING IN THIS SITUATION. So its best to clear the air for both of them.

People lie all the time about cats. They don't want their friends offended. So your cat is very important to you and he knew that.
But if he is a sociopath, he won't change. You have to move on and the "cat" was just the beginning. It COULD have been the only thing though. So move on and don't blame men.
 ~rain~
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:42:30 PM
TigerWoods..

First of all, I did not.."rage" I was never using Upper Case text so your assumption is false!!
As for my opening line and the { ' } mark I used in leu of "uckin" (which isnt allowed anyway) or your prefered "F#^@ " That has absoulutly nothing to do with the subject of the post.
There has to be a special forum set up for "typo" and "Grammar" police somewhere in cyberland!!

Now , as for the second thing you quoted about my post...I believe I ended that statement with a question mark!
meaning.....I was asking the question "if he was going to let it all go"...(You should know this with all your punctuation wisdom)

I asked that question because O.P. stated in his original post that he is "uncomfortable" marrying this woman because of the issue he had with her true age!!

You also said..

They way you're going on you make it sound like he kicked the woman out the door and bolted it behind her...
(you forgot a comma in there)

what do they say about people assume again?....hmmm.......Oh yeah! I remember now!
 peregrinate
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:42:42 PM
"The age prejudice thing by men is illogical and asinine."

The age prejudice by MEN? Half of the profile views I get are from women older than I am. And now I am starting to think the other half are lying about their age.

This leads me to believe that EVERYONE is interested in someone younger.

I don't think guys discriminate against age so much as women who LOOK old. And this is not discrimination in the sense of racial, gender, and other forms of bias. This is discrimination in the sense of being "discriminating".

No one is ENTITLED to a mate of a certain age or with any other qualities. It's not a lottery. There are no Equal Dating Opportunity laws. You just do the best with what you have to offer.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:48:32 PM
Wow mary.
What a great attitude you have there.
 *LoisLane*
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:48:43 PM
think you may soften when you are over 50 and people discriminate against you because of age. You will find you may be forced to lie too.

Excuse me miss. This has nothing to do with my age! I will not lower my morals to trick a man into being interested in me because of something I am not! I didn't do it at 20, I wouldn't do it now and I most certainly wouldn't do it in my later years. If this scenario doesn't teach you anything, it should teach you that lying doesn't accomplish goals, etc. Furthermore, no one forces you to lie. That is a conscious decision the deciever makes on their own with no consideration for the person they are lying to.

Some men would have said, it does not matter, I love you. I DON'T THINK THAT IS HAPPENING IN THIS SITUATION.

I also do not think it's fair to judge him. He has his preference. He prefers women of a certain age. Now, this woman has lied to him to get him to fall in love with the idea of a woman who she is NOT! Maybe if she had been honest, he would have still been interested. By lying, she took his choice in the matter away. Now, he is being manipulated by the idea that he is shallow if he doesn't overcome the age difference. This is precisely the situation he wanted to avoid by NOT getting involved with women of her age. She did this, NOT him.

People lie all the time about cats. They don't want their friends offended. So your cat is very important to you and he knew that.
But if he is a sociopath, he won't change. You have to move on and the "cat" was just the beginning. It COULD have been the only thing though. So move on and don't blame men.

I can't believe a grown woman thinks that this is OK. Lying about little things is indicative of a propensity to lie about bigger things. I asked him about cats BEFORE I got a cat. He lied just so he wouldn't put any obstacles in my way to liking him. Since you think the little lie meant nothing, I will tell you what my ex b/f lied about.

I told him I don't date men with children. That is true and unyielding. I then asked him, do you have any kids. He said no. I went to his house and saw a pic of a little girl. He said it was his niece as his brother was in jail, he helped out. Fine. Noble even. Obviously, the point of my story is a lie about a cat becomes a lie about a daughter. When dealing with habitual liars, they always, always start out with something small and benign. Then all of a sudden you are in a relationship with a mofo who as a kid and a baby mama.

As you say, it COULD have been thing only thing but it NEVER is.
 breath~
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:52:05 PM
I'm old enough to remember my parents talking..... about how a man never asked a woman her age! It was horribly impolite. EVEN while courting. giggle

I get a laugh out of the various posters telling OP to ask her "why" she lied about her age.
Geesh, as if it isn't clear... she lied because she is 'getting old' and doesn't feel good about it.. especially while trying to find dates. Period. What's to figure out about that?
It's a shame she felt she had to do that, being honest is always the best policy.

Thing is... in my opinion... it would have been better if she just didn't tell her age.
But she made up an age quite a bit younger than her actual age and stuck by it through all the getting-to-know-each-other period.
No good.

Geesh, how did she explain the time period in history that she graduated High School, for example.
Or how long she held jobs, or length of past marriage, or ages of kids... that type of stuff.
"Back in the 60's I was doing such and such"... just various and normal facts that come up in conversations. Didn't you wonder?
Or did she just throw in other lies to cover herself?

Or is it you just don't really know her well?

I think if I was getting to know a man 8 years older than me, (and thinking he was from the same birth year as me), eventually some of the things he said would make me wonder how he was doing *whatever* back when I was only in 9th grade. Stuff like that.

My thought is GET TO KNOW HER BETTER.
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/6/2008 12:57:50 PM
Ha-ha well played Rain, well played... A comma would have indeed helped that sentence, though its absence doesn't cause a grammar check flag in Microsoft Word... Hoisted by my own petard!

Seriously though, the focus of that quote was your decision to tell the OP to do something rather "obscene" just because you did not care for his question, which I find somewhat immature given that you could simply choose to read another thread if it bothered you THAT much...

Like other posters have mentioned in this thread, for such a simple and politely worded original post, it is surprising how bilious the flack this man has received has been. A lot of female posters have simply ASSUMED that he'd be fine if the situation was the opposite and she had lied about being 8 years younger rather than older... Funny though that he's made no statement to that effect, these people are simply ASSUMING that he's this stereotypical male pig that's just looking to chuck his "old lady" for the infamous younger, Bigger Better Deal (BBD)...

Now what was that expression about assuming again...?

At any rate, you're entitled to your opinion, and I mine, so I'll just agree to disagree and say good luck to the OP and to all, it looks like we each have our own peculiar crosses to bear...
 ~rain~
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 1:00:02 PM
Mary, I think it is different if you know up front, then you can chose if you want to proceed with a relationship or not...

but this man claims to have fallen in love with this woman.....enough so to want to marry her.. ( thats a huge deal) It means he has accepted her for her!!The way she looks, her way of life, all her faults, sickness, health, richer, poorer, the whole nine yards!

The time it takes to get to this level with a person, the sharing, the commitment, then he claims to be" uncomfortable" with the situation, because he finds out she is 8 years older then him?

"True age is defined by ones attitude and demeanor, not by the amount of years one has lived".

You dont fall in love with how long someone has been living.

Seriously though, the focus of that quote was your decision to tell the OP to do something rather "obscene" just because you did not care for his question, which I find somewhat immature given that you could simply choose to read another thread if it bothered you THAT much...

now I have read all my posts again from this thread..and I would like to know where I told the O.P. to do something "obscene"
I had no problem with O.P's question, I was asking him why would he choose to throw LOVE away because of a number.

There is another quote I kind of remember about going to battle unarmed....TigerWoods..would you like me to look it up for you?

One other thing.................Dave, if you have found a woman... fallin in love with her, proposed marriage to her, and she has accepted...Why are you still on a dating site, looking for a woman for a "long term" relationship?????
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > wat if she lied about age....... do you continue anyway?