Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TolRikEdo
Msg: 26
Gas Price increase. What do you think?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I agree with Cleve in msg. 23. Alternative energy vehicles. We're using the worlds oil recources at an ever increasing pace.
It just stands to reason that it won't last forever. We use it not just to fuel vehicles but for plastics, fertilizers and myriad other products.
Very profitable indeed for those producing these products.
I'm sure there's folks out there who could invent[or already have invented] engines that could run on alternative fuels.
However, the folks making the money off the present system have no incentive to change fuels , vehicular rates of consumption or even to investigate alternative fuels.
These ideas then get bought out by those with the money. After all, if a profitable oil company had to retool or rebuild their refineries to process a different fuel it would cut profits.
If there is a way to show the producers how to make alternative fuels profitably then I'd say thats when the present system will change.
And I don't see methanol as the fuel alternative of choice. At least not if it's produced using edible food grains.Look what that's doing to food prices.
I have heard good things about the use of switchgrass as a methanol stock.
Ah, but shucks. Who is going to make obscene profits off of growing switchgrass. It's basically a weed and requires little care as far as fertilization and pest control .
Not much profit for producers of genetically engineered corn, fertilizers or pest eradicating chemicals.
It seems short term profits are indeed clouding our long term visions of alternative fuels and energy independence. I wish I knew of a ecologically sound and profitable solution
 ~1happywoman~
Msg: 27
Gas Price increase. What do you think?
Posted: 5/10/2008 5:07:45 PM
"Ranchers who raise the meat or vegetables will suffer because the demand for those items will go down because the food suppliers aren’t ordering as much because the restaurants aren’t ordering as much because people can't afford to go out and eat because all their extra "fun" money is now going into their gas tanks……."

Consider the trucks that won't be on the road because diesel is too expensive. ( Stop and think about everything you have in your house, even on your person, and realize it got somewhere at some point, on a truck). Shipping by rail is great, but I don't know many retailers or grocery stores that have tracks behind them. For those everyday items to ship, it costs money - money coming out of the driver's pocket as companies struggle to stay competitive and make a profit. And the cost will be passed on to us consumers as fuel costs rise and there are fewer and fewer trucks on the roads to deliver fewer and fewer goods - including food.
 ~1happywoman~
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/10/2008 5:11:39 PM
consider used cooking oil as a supplement to our fuel shortage. The first diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil, but petroleum products were cheap and plentiful and easy to find. Used oils are processed and used in animal feed. It really doesn't take a lot to process and add a few things to the oil to make it usable in a diesel engine, without having to used costly conversion kits on the market. The only down side, sort of, is that the exhaust smells like whatever was cooked in the oil.
 climbsagain
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/10/2008 5:14:29 PM
Growing switchgrass is an idea. But consider this. With oil prices as high as they are the price of alternarive fuels will increase as well . Higher profit margins for swirchgrass and other alternative based fuels will only rise. this will continue to entice farmers to grow crops for fuel at the exspense of growing food for consumption which will effect the prices of corn, wheat, and other grains we depend upon.
 trulywishing2006
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2008 8:46:31 PM
climbsagain...msg 25....
I totally agree...."We need to slow down, change our habits. "

"What are constructive measures we can take instead of taking matters personally? "
Problem with forums is that you can't type "expressions". By no means do I totally disagree with what you are saying!

Back to the gas price increase......it is hard to take when you haven't had to worry about it before. I'm sure other countries have felt the same way. It's always hard when someone else decides what things in your life are going to make things harder. Every time we turn around prices increase. It seems that the only reason we get a raise is to cover the increased costs. Use to be that a raise gave you extra money to put away for a vacation or to go into a college fund, but not anymore!

My son is in the Marines and his graduation will be in North Carolina. I was all excited about going, but now I have to worry about the extra cost involved just to get there. Gas will be double the cost. Driving 800+ miles will take a lot of gas. Before the gas price increase we were looking at about $180.oo for gas round trip and now we are looking at about $300.00 round trip. That is a big increase when money is tight to begin with.

~1happywoman~....that's what I was meaning, for each issue that happens, others will be affected. No matter how small or large of an effect.....others will be affected all the way down the line.
 climbsagain
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/11/2008 3:00:30 PM
The latest on CNN is that oil could hit 200 dollars a barrel. Thats 75 dollars more a barrel than now. Gas at 5 dollars a gallon or more by Christmas? Perhaps I will begin riding my bike to work in the fall as long as the roads are clear of snow. It may become a necessity to somehow make one weeks supply of gas last 2 weeks.
 climbsagain
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/11/2008 3:00:53 PM
Interesting how the individuals on the fringe are making the situation into the veil doers in the world taking over. Can anyone take over if we refuse to give them the keys to our lives? This includes paying for oil. Maybe the revolution is a revolution of life styles?
 DesertFox3
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2008 3:46:20 PM
Fox, I am curious as to which of the candidates you would endorse seeing how we have an oil president and all. Do you really think the answer is in changing the president? I mean obviously there will still be oil men in congress.

Last sentence absolutely correct, if even a non oil president got in he/she would be eventually bought off.... I don't really care for any of the current canidates.

Changing the president, no, but if things went different in 2000, likely 9/11 would not have happened, we would not be in Afganastan & Iraq, & gas likely would have gone up, but not where what it is at present time.

NOT! Until we as a country united stop buying these cars that run on gas then there will be no change. Right now there is nothing forcing the Big 3 Automakers to really push these alternative fueled vehicles.

But THESE types of vehicles (SUVVIES) are what the automakers & the Baby Boomin' Marketing Genei at the big 3 told us what we wanted & needed!!

For one, for me to pay 30-40 K for one of these Electric or Hybrids is not feasible considering I don't drive that much, let alone would be able to afford to pay for this technology on my current income. I would likely have to wait for these to hit the used markets 10-15 years down the road.
 vicdabit
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/11/2008 6:40:17 PM
[Seems that we are working just to put gas in our cars. I heard on the radio this afternoon that a single father had to actually decide what was more important.....put food on his table to feed his 3 children or put gas in his car to go to work!]

I feel his pain, I haven't paid my water bill or my electric because I CHOSE to feed my son. Hopefully those utility company's will understand till later this month and then it'll be a partial payment. I keep the faith that things will work out, but it sure is exhausting.

A couple years back before gas was this ridiculously high, I worked for one of the largest Food Banks in the state, we conducted a "Hunger in America 2005" survey at local pantry's, shelters and kitchens. Most of the people interviewed were working, but couldn't make ends meet then, I feel for them totally today.

I've told my boss to fire me, because unemployment would probably do me better, then I wouldn't be feeding my gas tank and could get food stamps for my son. But TG I interviewed at another job on Friday, He liked me well, hopefully I will get the job and that is just 6 minutes from home as opposed to the 30 minutes I drive each way now.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2008 2:14:39 PM
I've told my boss to fire me, because unemployment would probably do me better, then I wouldn't be feeding my gas tank and could get food stamps for my son. But TG I interviewed at another job on Friday, He liked me well, hopefully I will get the job and that is just 6 minutes from home as opposed to the 30 minutes I drive each way now.

I think you are going to see a lot of this happening in the lower wage sector, ... wonder if 'they' thought of this when implementing these higher fuel prices as payback?
 trulywishing2006
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2008 3:18:07 PM
I don't think they thought about how it would affect the majority population. All they thought about was lining their pockets more!
The one's who made this decision are the one's in the higher income bracket. They probably thought "well, we can pay a little bit more for gas, I have the extra income to cover it."......PROBLEM being, is that most of us have a problem with it and are living on a limited income.
 trulywishing2006
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2008 3:25:30 PM
vicdabit....
I understand where your comming from, deciding on what to pay!
I was a single mom raising my 3 kids and may times I had to let 1 or 2 bills slide until further in the month because they needed food or clothing for school.
My kids always got what they needed and very rarely what they wanted.
But they understood!
My kids are grown now, but I'd hate to be in that situation now. It would even be harder now!
Keep the faith! It will work out.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 6:05:05 PM
I haven't been out today, but I hear it went from 3.69 to 3.99 a gallon sometime today. They can now raise prices like a bodily function. No one, not even our conspiricy riddled government questions it.

What happened to all the tax breaks the oil companies were given?
 trulywishing2006
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2008 7:14:23 PM
DesertFox3....I saw gas at $4.17 today. Of course the government didn't question it, they make enough money, so it doesn't hurt their pockets! If it were to cause them a problem they wouldn't had approved the gas hike to begin with.
I wish they were making my income.....they'd think twice about raising the cost on anything.
 50Love
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/13/2008 8:57:52 PM
I think America is going under...FAST!! The thing that really bothers me though, "What is the American public doing about it"? Complaining isnt going to help any. We need to have a Boston tea party...only do it with the gasoline. hmmmmm...what do u think?

or start riding horses, or ????
 climbsagain
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/14/2008 3:20:37 AM
What is the American public doing. We continue to speed on the freeway wasting gas as we drive along with cars choking on dirty air filters. Our tires need air, also wasteful to gas consumption and we seem to have no plan as to scheduling our trips. Lets go here? No here? We also continue to think that gas is a birth right that we can use at will.

We can start by driving smart and how about car pooling? What if everyone developed a plan to drive 10 less miles each month? I agree that complaining will not get it done. Hard work wioll get it done. And park the overesized trucks!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2008 5:45:49 AM
DesertFox3....I saw gas at $4.17 today. Of course the government didn't question it, they make enough money, so it doesn't hurt their pockets! If it were to cause them a problem they wouldn't had approved the gas hike to begin with.

The big oil execs were called to capitol hill a few months back to explain why they need tax breaks they are recieving, though never heard a resolution about this

I wish they were making my income.....they'd think twice about raising the cost on anything.

Im sure you are doing a lot better than me being in the good paying 'health care' field, but nevertheless, many I work with are NOT even making $10/hr, in fact some are making below $8 (before taxes), only a matter of time they will figure out the cost of transportation is not worth them keeping these jobs (some drive great distances for these jobs due to our crippled economy up in my corner of the state), add in increasing insurance, repairs & car payments to the gas too.

It seems short term profits are indeed clouding our long term visions of alternative fuels and energy independence. I wish I knew of a ecologically sound and profitable solution

I have to go a couple of miles out of my way to drop off things to be recycled, so it will cost me to 'go green' since my county dropped curbside recycling (don't look for it to return either) a few years back due to increased fuel costs, in a nutshell no longer profitable to the city.

Thanks Again 'W'!!!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2008 5:58:12 AM
I think America is going under...FAST!! The thing that really bothers me though, "What is the American public doing about it"? Complaining isnt going to help any. We need to have a Boston tea party...only do it with the gasoline. hmmmmm...what do u think?

Only likely will cause another increase due to spilled oil, their latest excuse for raising prices is the Cyclone no doubt.

What is the American public doing. We continue to speed on the freeway wasting gas as we drive along with cars choking on dirty air filters. Our tires need air, also wasteful to gas consumption and we seem to have no plan as to scheduling our trips. Lets go here? No here? We also continue to think that gas is a birth right that we can use at will.

Climbs, we are 'Mandated' to do auto maintenance up here in the Northeast Counties by our government forced E-Check program, suggest the rest of the state partakes in this program???

We can start by driving smart and how about car pooling? What if everyone developed a plan to drive 10 less miles each month? I agree that complaining will not get it done. Hard work wioll get it done. And park the overesized trucks!

Carpooling, only if you work with your friends?

Already have been scaling back, only 2200 miles since mid October. The sad part of all this I can no longer shop for better deals on consumer goods, as it will cost more in gas to continue this further costing me more by paying the competitors increased prices.. They got you by the balls any way you look at it... oh yes, & no more liesure trips to restaraunts, activities & such too... I'm staying home.

Thanks Again 'W'
 climbsagain
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/15/2008 3:47:09 AM
The high gas prices may drive people to rediscpover the community they live in. If fact it may cause people to rediscover the street they live on as driving becomes more of a burden than a benefit.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2008 1:06:10 PM
think America is going under...FAST!! The thing that really bothers me though, "What is the American public doing about it"? Complaining isnt going to help any.

I think we would get to the bottom of this by an investigation of our electected officials outside invertments, & ties in the financial world. This all seems to root from 911. Our government would do something if it effected them, but someone high up is getting pretty rich off the inctrased fuel & this "war". Terrorisim??? I think that was just a smoke screen on why we are really over there.

As payback for supposevely eliminating world 'terror' you would think the oil rich Arabs would at least hold prices too. Instead we send our young men & women over to be killed on our tax dollar. This making sence to anyone but me?
 mudflap1979
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2008 5:53:28 PM
Try buying 300 gal at a time The Trucking industry has took a big hit many companys have filed chapter 11. So far at this time iam very fortunate that my company is making it we have however cut back the trucks in order to achive higher mph.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 6:29:50 AM
Check the air pressure in the tires of your car or truck.

& if you need air, remember the Gas station will gladly charge you for it too!

I think the old gas and go will make a significant appearance again. The fact is that for the most part, most people will find more and more creative ways to rob Peter to pay Paul for the go juice.

Remember, invest in a locking gas cap! $10-14, up from $6 back in 2002!
 flyin-high
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:43:48 AM

you would think the oil rich Arabs would at least hold prices too. Instead we send our young men & women over to be killed on our tax dollar. This making sence to anyone but me?
This doesn’t have anything to do with Arabs vs Americans or Christians vs Muslims, it has everything to do with rich vs poor.

Whether you like it or not, government policy tends to side with the rich, because the rich can afford to buy that “policy”… the majority of us (99%) can’t.

Rich Americans are best friends with rich Arabs, but you wont see rich Americans hanging out with poor Americans.

Money does not discriminate against Nationality, Race or Religion… it only discriminates against those who don’t have it.
 Shaok353
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 12:11:17 PM
"To answer one of the questions about employers raising our salaries, the answer is no. If our incomes started to rise rapidly the result would be inflation. Inflation would only fuel the cycle of gas prices going up. "
Thats not really how inflation works. Inflation happens when you pump more money into the economy, not when more money is being moved around in the market place. Inflation happens when an excess of money is pumped into the economy in ADDITION to the extra money transfered around. That happens to us when the Fed Reserve prints out more money to either bail out a central bank (Bearsterns) or prints out money in the form of a stimulus, or when money is printed out massively in the form of forgien aid(Isreal).

If we reduced gas consumption by say 10% nationally, the prices would fall significantly, and would NOT have an impact on businesses. Businesses opperate in their margins, and when their demand is reduced, they'll adjust accordingly to keep their business open. If people are eating out less, then there will be less food demand and resturantes will not have to order that much food in the first place and profit margins wont be distorted greatly. When the market regulates its self, it does very well.

The REAL issue with the gas prices is countries resulting to the use of Bio-fuels. This is causing the rise in prices in food as well as inflation and is causing the major increase in the price of Wheat, Soy, and Rice products.
 Shaok353
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2008 12:14:25 PM
"I think we would get to the bottom of this by an investigation of our electected officials outside invertments, & ties in the financial world. This all seems to root from 911. Our government would do something if it effected them, but someone high up is getting pretty rich off the inctrased fuel & this "war". Terrorisim??? I think that was just a smoke screen on why we are really over there. "

This economic issue had been called out long before 9/11. In the early 1990s, during the major economic boom, all of the major economists were calling out that this was temporary and we were going to hit a HUGE depression. This was an economic boom stimulated through a regulated economy that politicians cannot keep up with, so naturally it collapsed.
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?