Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 climbsagain
Msg: 51
Gas Price increase. What do you think?Page 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
We can discusss why we think the situation has turned this way. At the same time it will take steps to save money by finding other ways to travel. We can control decisions we make regarding our travel. In the fall I will ride my bike to work twice a week until the weather makes it unpractical. It can be done. What will others do?
 DesertFox3
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Gas Price increase. What do you think?
Posted: 5/20/2008 6:07:13 PM

Thats not really how inflation works. Inflation happens when you pump more money into the economy, not when more money is being moved around in the market place. Inflation happens when an excess of money is pumped into the economy in ADDITION to the extra money transfered around. That happens to us when the Fed Reserve prints out more money to either bail out a central bank (Bearsterns) or prints out money in the form of a stimulus, or when money is printed out massively in the form of forgien aid(Isreal).

Where is this money?? in the rich sector I imagine. Reason why we should not go out & blow the stimulus check on extras to feed the rich, but use it to pay off past debt, or save it for 'what if' situations.

This economic issue had been called out long before 9/11. In the early 1990s, during the major economic boom, all of the major economists were calling out that this was temporary and we were going to hit a HUGE depression. This was an economic boom stimulated through a regulated economy that politicians cannot keep up with, so naturally it collapsed.

What goes up must come down (except for oil prices), the actual oil crisis started in the early 70's, now it's coming to a head again.... I remember when 40 cents a gallon was considered high.

In the meantime more people in the workplace (women, ect) to buy frivolus extras to add to this so naturally inflation occoured.
 sherryk45231
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2008 12:27:49 PM
i vote for a national protest....park our cars int the streets and sit there for 2-3 days. call in sick with gas pains
gas is high because we will pay it....if we all refuse to work, no corp. will make money....the big dogs will go to washington to fight gas prices for us....nobody can tell me our politicians don't have stock in oil....everything that is transported has jumped up in price....and so far they are not listening to the average american.....
 sherryk45231
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2008 12:37:51 PM
i don't think they care how it effects us! either way, they know we'll pay it, because we have to work, we have to pay utilities, and we have to buy groceries.....oil prices make the world go round, atleast if you own the oil stock....the oil price has made all these necessities sky rocket....the big dogs are filling their pockets......
 climbsagain
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/24/2008 12:56:33 PM
It would be nice to think that a boycott of some type would work. Fact is individuals beyond politicans have an interest in the profits of the oil industry. Politicans we may have elceted? There are American citizens that benefit from the increases in oil prices. Whether they be involved in an oil bussiness or own stock in the oil industry.

More to the point is the myth that the United states economy is a growing source of wealth. Look around and do your research . You will find that there are countries that have been buying up American interests for over 25 years. The wealth has been leaving US shores for a long time. As for influencing the price of oil world wide? Don't fool yourself, it won't happen.

Other countires of the world learned well from the greedy corporate models we perfected here so well. The ride will get bumpy.
 kenbythesea
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/25/2008 11:58:47 AM
I think OPEC are the real Terrorist , They Are wrecking this country by stealing our money.
 climbsagain
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/25/2008 12:41:13 PM
Gas is a commodity. The market will determine what price can be charged based on what consumers world wide will pay. The problem to most citizens of the United States is the idea that the world econmoy can decide what we pay here in the United States.

After the Second World War ended the United Statesd enjoyed the growth in wealth due to the war industries that made this country rich. As a nation we enjoyed the wealth for a while. Along the way as a nation we lost sight of the basic needs of our own citizens. Education for one, the health of our own citizens. Greed or capitalism as we prefer as been a way of life for the citizens of this country for a long time.

We should expect to play by the same rules our nation has observed for so very long.
 8thTonOFun
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 4:07:04 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and jump on the political bandwagon...

Anybody thought about the fact that we and several other countries are burning LOTS AND LOTS of fuel at war?

your civilian Hummer H1 weighs about 7500 lbs and gets 12 mpg highway...on a good day...downhill with a tailwind. Imagine what a military spec HUMVEE weighing 10,000+ pounds driven in sand all day gets. Multiply that by lots.

We have planes being flown 24 hours a day. an FA18 burns more fuel in an hour than a Boeing 737 full of passengers in the same hour.

We have Deuce-and-a-halfs that get 4-5 mpg on the highway. Driven in the same conditions as the HUMVEEs.

Food for thought.
 S.L.A.M
Msg: 59
Posted: 5/26/2008 8:31:44 AM
I like the part where the OIL refineries are posting RECORD profit margins AGAIN & AGAIN!!! They cry about the cost involved with producing gas and then each quarter BRAGGING about the 30 or so BILLION ( with a B ) earned each 4 month period!

Talk about rubbing our noses in it!
 climbsagain
Msg: 60
Posted: 5/26/2008 2:50:54 PM
Gas prices are high. Yes, gas prices are high. The comment of the oil companies rubbing our nose in it is whining.

Rubbing their nose in it involves a country going to war in the middle east , placing the countries leader on trial and executing the leader. Rubbing their nose in it involves a country that placed an embargo on a middle east country in the 1990' resulting in untold suffering for children and the elderly, in the end tens of thousands died from common colds. Rubbing their nose in it involves a country that continues a war in the middle east with countless civilian casualities . Here in the United Staes we know not the meaning of having our nose rubbed in it!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:47:36 PM
I like the part where the OIL refineries are posting RECORD profit margins AGAIN & AGAIN!!! They cry about the cost involved with producing gas and then each quarter BRAGGING about the 30 or so BILLION ( with a B ) earned each 4 month period!

Talk about rubbing our noses in it!

& are getting tax breaks too!

In a free enterprise capitalistic system they would invest these profits in at least coming up with alternative energy sources, & technology, instead they are doling these profits in bonuses to execs, while screwing the consumer.... & have the gall to cry for a handout from the government.
 coachb41
Msg: 62
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:50:34 PM
IN 1996 I WORKED ON THE ISLAND OF ST CROIX FOR ABOUT FIVE MONTHS AND I WORKED AT HESS OIL REFINERY. THE PRICE FOR A GAL OF GAS THERE AT THAT TIME WAS $1.14 A GAL AND WAS THE SAME HERE IN THE USA. THAT REFINERY IS HAS OVER A HUNDRED STORAGE TANKS AND OIL WAS SHIPPED DAILY BY SHIP. WHERE TO I HAVE NO IDEA AND THAT ISLAND IS A USA ISLAND NOW.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 5:51:44 PM

I think OPEC are the real Terrorist , They Are wrecking this country by stealing our money.

We were forewarned in the early 70's, right now I don't see OPEC as the culprit (I'm sure they have some hand in this too) rather than the speculators, & the Lame Duck paying it forward to his pals in the industry.
 BereaMale
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 6:12:38 PM
I think that we are screwed ... even if we drive less they'll keep prices high for the simple fact that we will pay whatever they charge. They can bring in the same revenue without having to produce more gasoline. They win..no matter what.

Everyone reading this thread can afford a computer and manages to have internet service so we all must be doing good because this is money that could go elsewhere. Most of us probable all have cable TV as well as 2 telephone lines. Not too mention the time spent online that could be spent working on a garden (to save money) or learning how to canoe to work (both ways downstream). We're still living the good life ... we'd be considered royalty in many parts of the world.
 Runningwolf32
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:05:57 PM
Well, I'm a single parent, I have a daughter living with me who just became a momma & my first priority for her is finishing school & raising her baby. It would make no sense for her to work right now anyway cus it's all gonna go to a babysitter, but I think she can manage her own baby & maybe take on a babysitting job at home during the summer.
I keep thinking about where I was just in 2000. Actually I think about it ALOT. I had a great job in the telecom industry, owned my own house and money was not a worry. And true, I can't say I always spent it wisely but I did make sure my kids had everything they needed with no help from their dead-beat sperm-donor. (Lots of love there LOL). I was able to buy a brand new truck for the first time and then a small house. I had it all. But then the dot.com industry went dot.bomb, big tech corporations downsized big time - my job was eliminated after 10 yrs along with 11,000 other people. (If the name Qwest rings a bell), then immediately afterwards 9/11 hit & the economy really went to hell. In addition to the great job, I also had a small candle shop at a local flea market and I had to close shop cus the traffic completely died out after 9/11. I went from big money to the bottom rung of the ladder ALL OVER AGAIN.
Between gas prices going thru the roof and other necessities going sky high such as food on the table, medical costs and utilities, I've had no choice but to get a 2nd job. My daughter gets WIC for the baby thank goodness, but because of MY income she qualifies for nothing else...I won't even open up THAT Pandora's box!! I hate the thought of working 2 jobs, but I know my daughter will do her fair share by keeping the house clean, etc. on top of taking care of a newborn & getting through school. (She attends online from home). I made it a point when we moved to stay close to work and luckily my truck isn't a gas hog but it still costs damn near $80 to fill up and now I don't go joy riding just for something to do. I miss it, but I need the gas too bad just to get from 1 job to the other!
I definitely agree we need to slow down and change our habits, but ya know its a double edge sword. We're sending all this aid to other countries when we have our own living on the streets. Between that and opening the floodgates for every illegal immigrant to come stake their claim, it's no wonder so many are struggling now. And trust me I could go on for days on that subject but not for this topic. I know they are issues in and of themselves and there are a million other contributing factors, I just feel they are also symptoms that are contributing to our current state of economy.
In the end, I don't know if consumers are just being gouged, if the government is such a mess that they don't know their butts from a hole in the ground or what. I don't think there is just ONE answer. I only know what its doing to my family and those around me. Something needs to change fast because the thought of what could possibly happen scares me. My entire family is 2 states away and the job market there is even worse or I'd move back, but regardless, if the bottom falls out I'm out of luck.
 vicdabit
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/26/2008 7:35:41 PM

vicdabit....
I understand where your comming from, deciding on what to pay!
I was a single mom raising my 3 kids and may times I had to let 1 or 2 bills slide until further in the month because they needed food or clothing for school.
My kids always got what they needed and very rarely what they wanted.
But they understood!
My kids are grown now, but I'd hate to be in that situation now. It would even be harder now!
Keep the faith! It will work out.

Thank you trulywishing!
I always keep the faith. Things look a little brighter here, I start a new job on June 2, instead of driving 30 miles to work, I will drive just 6. The job pays more and for now, less hours, which is ok by me, it's getting nice outside and I will have the time to do my sidework cleaning/detailing bikes!

Vickie

I
 DesertFox3
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 3:57:00 PM

I keep thinking about where I was just in 2000. Actually I think about it ALOT. I had a great job in the telecom industry, owned my own house and money was not a worry.

I can relate here, they can stick the stimulus check, I just want my life back as it was in 2000! ... the bottom fell out for me on 11/10/2000 a week after the election, I was finally downsized for good due to the economic outlook.... & things never recovered.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 4:03:03 PM

think that we are screwed ... even if we drive less they'll keep prices high for the simple fact that we will pay whatever they charge. They can bring in the same revenue without having to produce more gasoline. They win..no matter what.

Likely you're right, & your solution?

Everyone reading this thread can afford a computer and manages to have internet service so we all must be doing good because this is money that could go elsewhere. Most of us probable all have cable TV as well as 2 telephone lines. Not too mention the time spent online that could be spent working on a garden (to save money) or learning how to canoe to work

$9.95/mo for ISP, no Cable, one phone line, no cell... sorry.

I do spend too much time online though... cheap entertainment?
 8thTonOFun
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:54:45 PM

from TolRikEdo
I agree with Cleve in msg. 23. Alternative energy vehicles. We're using the worlds oil recources at an ever increasing pace.

[img]http://www.bittermancircle.com/my%20images/BeatDeadHorse.gif[/img]

Alternative energy has been in development for 50+ years. The first automobiles were external combustion steam engines, and some electrics. The hybrid and the diesel is where we are now. There IS a reason automobiles depend on gasoline and diesel - it's STILL the MOST PRACTICAL form of stored energy to be converted into kinetic energy there is.

What're we gonna do...use more fossil fuels to make electricity so we can have ELECTRIC cars? Run my electric bill up to $500/mo so I'm no longer paying $250-300 a month for gas? No, we wouldn't be in the same boat we're in now, but we'd just be jumping ship to another one taking in water.

And to whoever complained about how the automakers "told us" we needed gas-sucking SUVs - Sorry that God revoked your ability to think for yourself.

I won't be selling my gas-hog; I happen to like it. A LOT. I also like my motorcycle...a LOT. And since this whole fuel crisis is coming about, I'm going to be snapping up big gas hog SUVs for a song so I can hold on to them until gas prices become more reasonable. Then, PROFIT:D

Also, I'm not rich, but it makes me SICK how everybody is so quick to blame the wealthy. They became wealthy, or were born wealthy, but at some point, SOMEBODY worked their ASS off for that money, or was just plain smarter than everybody else. Nobody has anybody to blame for their financial position but themselves.

The thing that makes me the SICKEST is that everybody is complaining about our manufacturing going overseas. NO SHIT! Because we, the consumer, wanted to have everything CHEAPER! We spent ourselves right out of jobs!

BTW, I'm running for president in 2016. Vote me, all will be right with the world.
 climbsagain
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/27/2008 6:40:06 PM
What I think is that we trade int he gas hogs and drive more efficient cars if fossil fuels are the way to go. How about using mass transit so again we become efficient. As for gas prices becoing more reasonable the trend indicates anything but reasonable gas prices. I hope you have a large parking lot for the SUVs you are buying up.
 mysticlisa
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2008 5:55:28 PM

We can discusss why we think the situation has turned this way. At the same time it will take steps to save money by finding other ways to travel. We can control decisions we make regarding our travel. In the fall I will ride my bike to work twice a week until the weather makes it unpractical. It can be done. What will others do?

I now spend $40 a month for a monthly pass on the city bus. I only use my van to go to the store once a month and to get to places that are off bus line. If I run out of perishables, I use the nearest convenient store, and go without my van. By using the city transportation I only use 1 tank of gas a month. And if I run out, well, I wait till the 15th to fill up again.

A friend of mine that lives in the country got 3 other neighbors together to carpool to the nearest park-and-ride and take the bus to where ever they need to go to work, then meet up at a certain time to go home. Each person takes a week driving. This seems to work with them.

Things can be done. We can cry and moan all we want, I don't think things will change. Change will only happen when you stop filling the tank so much and find other ways to economize your gasoline.
 mudflap1979
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2008 4:06:54 PM
Last i read on cnn money opec expects a barrel of oil to hit above $200.
 climbsagain
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/31/2008 6:25:43 PM
How about a nation driving motorcycles and riding bikes? Cars may just become obsolete in our time. We can make a statement to oil companies. Use as little of the product as possible. Let the rest of the world choke on the high price of oil. Could we become the leader in innovations in power and travel?
 mudflap1979
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:07:57 AM
Climbs i could just see that now we could all put are leathers on and ride the harleys everywhere. But we would still haft to worry about them rich folks in those hummer h1 running are buts down.
 wubsmum
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/1/2008 8:00:34 AM
While I see that riding a bike (of any variety) is more economical, it's not always practical. I'm a single mom with a special needs child. Luckily I live only 7.5 miles from where I work, however my son has monthly doctor appointments and I need to pick him up at school (approximately 15 miles from work) and then take him to the doctor (approximately 17 miles from the school). Since I have to take work home so often it's impractical to ride a bike (excluding the fact I don't own one). I can't use public transportation (busing) since I need to pick my son up from the sitter's 1/2 hour after I get off work, and the time factor of trying to bus while getting my child to & from his doctor appointments - I'm not even going to attempt that one.

No - finding another doctor is not an option. Neither is him attending another school closer to home/work/the doctor. I just do my best to combine all my running around into one trip, watch my speed, and don't go anyplace extra without planning it out.

I don't have any answers to the problem, I just do what little I can do & sympathize with others in my situation.
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?