Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DesertFox3
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Gas Price increase. What do you think?Page 9 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I do most of my shopping now at Marc's, Save-A-Lot, & Aldis....

More power to ya, if you can keep up with these gimmics, frankly I'm getting tired of the papers, recipts & junk mail I have to hang on to to keep track of this. ... this don't just apply to GE either, a lot of placxes doing thes Speedway, ect, I've never seen any rewards but it generates a lot of junk mail.

Just trying to help my fellow man here
 climbsagain
Msg: 202
Gas Price increase. What do you think?
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:02:16 AM
More power to ya, if you can keep up with these gimmics, frankly I'm getting tired of the papers, recipts & junk mail I have to hang on to to keep track of this. ... this don't just apply to GE either, a lot of placxes doing thes Speedway, ect, I've never seen any rewards but it generates a lot of junk mail.

We live in a country based upon gimmics On a lighter note gas prices are slowly moving up giving people something to complain about. It is important to have purpose in this life.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2009 9:27:44 AM
All things considered, 1.99 is not all that bad considering inflation & such, but you are probably right $5.00 by years end. The speculators that took a bath need to reap their rewards.
 climbsagain
Msg: 204
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:10:11 AM
where will das prices go this summer? In a good year the prices would rise as people begin to vacation. Can many actually go on vacation this wonderful summer? Perhaps the demand will not go up? Perhaps we will all end up climbing in West Virginia this summer?
 Husker Freak
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2009 3:24:34 PM
Yesterday gas jumped to 2.28 in Columbus. Memorial Day weekend coming up?
 wideband
Msg: 206
Posted: 5/7/2009 8:26:23 PM

Yesterday gas jumped to 2.28 in Columbus. Memorial Day weekend coming up?

Did anyone happen to notice that NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened in the market to justify this increase? I have zero doubt in my mind that although the ballpark price is determined based upon market factors, the real price, the day to day price, is completely artificial.
 Neysha61
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:08:06 AM
And what was your first clue ... besides the stock market smoke and mirrors since the dawn of time?
Make believe. Let's make up a price and make people believe it's because of .....
Bullsh1t.
I keep my money in a tin can in my refrigerator.
I make myself put some there every payday and I believe , he11, I know that it's there when I need it.
 wideband
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/8/2009 8:00:35 AM
I certainly wouldn't call the stock market "smoke and mirrors". On national level, the ballpark figure for gas is dictated by the market, but on the local level, where prices fluctuate on the weekends, when the markets are closed, it is something else effecting the price, namely an arbitrary human one. I don't know whether its the regional distributors or the store owners themselves, or both, but someone in the chain there is screwing around.
 Neysha61
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 8:14:45 AM
Stock shares ... their value is what someone THINKS they are worth at that particular moment. Not based upon supply and demand by any means. Speculation is a word bandied about by brokers and investors looking to make a buck on what someone THINKS.

The locals? They THINK their product is worth so much and they sell it as such.
They speculate that you are gonna need that gas to go to the lake, shop and what not that weekend.

No difference. NONE.
Speculate and the word unique.

Can't say as I care too much for either of them.
 wideband
Msg: 210
Posted: 5/8/2009 9:09:19 AM

Stock shares ... their value is what someone THINKS they are worth at that particular moment.

As opposed to paying what you think it is not worth at a given moment?!? That's a given for any purchase, anytime, whether it be consumer products or securities. Gas store operators/owners don't guess at whether you're going to need gasoline. They KNOW you will need gasoline. The guess work comes into determining whether they think you will pay $.05 more than down the road.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 9:15:46 AM

As opposed to paying what you think it is not worth at a given moment?!? That's a given for any purchase, anytime, whether it be consumer products or securities. Gas store operators/owners don't guess at whether you're going to need gasoline. They KNOW you will need gasoline. The guess work comes into determining whether they think you will pay $.05 more than down the road.

Interesting observation, I can draw that to other things... I Don't think Cable TV, Cell Phones & certain other 'services' are worth what they are, so I don't have them.

I have really cut down on any pleasure driving I have done in the past, yes I will need gas, but not as often.
 climbsagain
Msg: 212
Posted: 5/8/2009 1:55:37 PM
Interesting observation, I can draw that to other things... I Don't think Cable TV, Cell Phones & certain other 'services' are worth what they are,

If we live by capitalism we may die by the same? Just for the sake of looking at how we overpay for most of what we purchase, consider how much you are overpaying for the cold beer you will drink this weekend at your next POF get together. Do you complain about that? No, because the price is based on how much the bar can charge knowing how much you are willing to pay. Every professional does this, especially the oldest professions!
 DesertFox3
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 2:58:33 PM
Just for the sake of looking at how we overpay for most of what we purchase, consider how much you are overpaying for the cold beer you will drink this weekend at your next POF get together. Do you complain about that? No, because the price is based on how much the bar can charge knowing how much you are willing to pay.

Milwaukee's Best Light... $10.99 a case!

I don't go to bars anymore for this very reason, I got a bit of 'sticker shock' the last time I was in one.

Professional Sports?? what these guys are paid to throw a ball through a hoop, or hit a ball with a stick?? I can no longer feed them, going down & sitting in the cheap seats used to be reasonable entertainment (even if the team was a loser), not any more.

Every professional does this, especially the oldest professions!

I never believed in gouging, probably why I could no longer afford to run the business, it was the taxes imposed by our government that killed me.
 Neysha61
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 3:53:10 PM
Gas prices have went up 30 cents a gallon in this area in the last week and a half.
$ 2.30 a gallon for regular.

True supply and demand for gasoline in this country, based upon studies done by several means have all come up with about the same price per gallon that gasoline should be. It's right around the two dollar mark or a bit above.
I believe I'm willing to pay that without grumbling too much.
I drive over 100 miles a day to/from work so I would be the first to complain you would think.?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 10:59:17 PM
I've worked in the local refineries here in Toledo. Many times in the past 27 yrs. I can say that since I've started working in them they've really cleaned up their acts. Add ons to improve the discharged air and water quality. Add ons to process various different types and grades of crude. One local refinery -BP Husky is even gearing up to process sand oil out of Canada. Factor all of these things together and the current price per gallon is probably fair. Last summer the price of crude shot up. Some say it was speculators doing this. Others say it was political payoffs to the oil companies from former leaders. Who knows, I sure like this price better than the gouge of 08'.

And Something I wondered too: [I keep my money in a tin can in my refrigerator]

If you put the can in your freezer, would you eventually have cold, hard cash?
 CEO of Hoagie Inc.
Msg: 216
Posted: 5/9/2009 11:46:44 PM

If you put the can in your freezer, would you eventually have cold, hard cash?

Now that was just downright funny!

If we really took into consideration the cost of inflation, we have been and still are blessed that the cost of gas is where it is.

I don't know the actual numbers at this time of night but I am sure if you adjusted for inflation the price should be closer to at least 6 or 7 bucks a gallon.

We don't pay that because we live in the greatest country in the world, bar none. Problem is no one see's it like that and just complains that it's higher than it once was. I myself am guilty of that.
 Neysha61
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 2:34:37 AM
American oil is too "dirty" to refine for gasoline or so they say.
I am very very VERY familiar with the producers / haulers / refineries of American pumped oil. Yes, I dallied with oilfield trash on occassion and they are too much freaking fun btw !!!
I say horsepuckey. Horsepuckey and then some.
That oil? It is not too bad, too thick, too dirty to be refined.
And natural gas is the by product. I have some pumped into my own house for gosh sakes from a well down over the hill. I love it and I keep my furnace on 68 just in case you think I am hogging it all !

It's going somewhere. And last year during the madness, new wells drilled on private property here in the US reached an all time high. How many people have fuel oil furnaces ? mmmm hmmmmm ..... that's dirty oil btw. But what oil isn't?

P.S. Paper doesn't freeze at the temps a mere freezer produces.
It's just cold cash.
If it were hard, it would shatter.
What good would that do me?
It would be "change" then, yes?
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2009 7:30:28 PM
True, so true. I mean about refining the lesser quality crude oils. Also true, to do this and obtain a crudestock that is then turned into gasoline takes a few extra processes. For every extra step in the refining process needed, there is a corresponding need for the apparatus necessary to bring that about.Costly, yes....But it's something we need to do.

It would be good for the USA to develop it's own sources of crude. Last summer we were being gouged by those who supplied our crude. Speculation, politics, payoffs to cronies or just good old fashioned greed. Beats me why the price rocketed but it did. Then we paid.

Even better, find another source of "homegrown" feedstock we could use in place of crude oil. Then, find a way to convert our existing refineries over to process this . Coal??? heck, it's just hard crude oil. Any chemical engineers out there??
 climbsagain
Msg: 219
Posted: 5/11/2009 4:27:28 AM
Coal??? heck, it's just hard crude oil. Any chemical engineers out there??

At this point the process of converting coal uses large quantities of water. The interesting theme in this thread is the question of how to enable the wasteful habits we have in the United states rather than discovering ways to use less resources.
 Neysha61
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 1:31:32 PM
Gasoline will always be in demand in this lifetime. Pepole may bellyache all they want. Tis a fact. Deal with it.
My point is to make it available from American Oil.
This forum is about gas prices, not how to not use gas.
That is another subject entirely.
I'm sure Greenpeace supporters would chime in heartily if one were started.

I work over 50 miles one way from my home and have no intention of ever riding a bicycle to get there. Nor drive one of those little plug in cars *which still use gas btw... that wouldn't make it up and down my 1/2 mile gravel hill, nor the roads I use to get into town to a highway when the ice is thick and the snow is blowing. Apparently they aren't very good in heavy rain either. Have a friend in Cincy whose work provides them one and he said it is hard to handle on the road in a downpour.
I use energy saver lights at home.
I don't have central air. I don't own a TV.
I recycle my trash, aluminum, glass etc.
I don't make trips to town for one thing.
So don't even get started on how wasteful this spoiled sloth of an American is.
My carbon footstep on the planet is very small and I like it that way.
And I would like it even better if the gas I use in my truck were American made!
 climbsagain
Msg: 221
Posted: 5/11/2009 6:13:12 PM
You are the exception. Not many people live the lifestyle that you lead nor do they take the time to conserve anything other than their own energy.....like not walking up the driveway to get the mail..instead they drive the car. You are a good citizen of the planet. We need more like you.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2009 8:32:29 PM
The current method of refining crude uses it's share of water too.Don't know how much in comparison to coal conversion though. Bet that's why there are 2 oil refineries here in Toledo. Just a long toss away from Lake Erie.

And, I agree with the lady in msg. 220. I'd like to see my fuel derived from a feedstock made here, in the USA. Be it converted coal, our own crude or even alcohol.It may be expensive at first, until the necessary systems of manufacture, transport and re-conversion are established.

Over time though I feel the price would stabilize and the energy independence we'd gain would be worth it.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 2:06:42 PM
And, I agree with the lady in msg. 220. I'd like to see my fuel derived from a feedstock made here, in the USA. Be it converted coal, our own crude or even alcohol.It may be expensive at first, until the necessary systems of manufacture, transport and re-conversion are established.

Check out David Blume 's site alcoholcanbeagas (dot com) for more insight on this, sure he has something to sell, & listening to his appearances on AM Coast To Coast, what he says is indeed easier said than done, but on reality it can, just too many milking the petrol industry.

I'll for once have to agree with Neysha on the smoke & mirrors, just look at Enron!
 climbsagain
Msg: 224
Posted: 5/13/2009 3:57:21 PM
just look at Enron! Explain please. Enron was all about cooking the books. In fact the real money made by Enron dealt with the electric grid on the west coast. Always interested in new information.
 DesertFox3
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2009 9:25:13 PM
Enron did nothing but cook the books, what exactly did Enron do?? nothing, they produced nothing... it was all based on smoke, mirrors & speculation... the smartest men in the room!
Show ALL Forums  > Ohio  > Gas Price increase. What do you think?