Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Guys who can't or won't fix things around the house      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mee76
Msg: 126
Guys who can't or won't fix things around the housePage 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I second trying to fix it your self, enjoy the challenge and learning something new. And then when youve wreaked the place and given up go looking for help lol. Works for me

Dont drill through your finger though, it kind of hurts!
 aprincelyfrog
Msg: 127
Guys who can't or won't fix things around the house
Posted: 5/25/2008 11:31:32 AM
Gee, I just cant understand why all women want me to do is take them out to nice resturants and they never want to have sex with me afterwards!

dancecard
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 8:50:48 PM
I been fortunate ~ and known some wonderful ladies ~ and I have been treated very well ~~ no complaints coming for me.

what they didn't know in one area they more then made up for in another.

It would be my wish that all women found this true of men. ~ and I think most do

but the thread is about the ones that are dragging up short ~ all the time.

All I can say is ~~ The honey better be sweet ~~ dance
 rightstuff48
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2008 3:11:39 PM
I've have had a relationship where I installed a garbage disposal, new storm door, fixed the sump pump, cleared the branches from the back yard, and helped refinish the wood floors... you are hooking up with the wrong guys. Have tools will travel!!!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 5:52:00 PM

Gee, I just cant understand why all women want me to do is take them out to nice resturants and they never want to have sex with me afterwards!
DUDE!!!! You think YOU got problems??? First men tell me they're insulted that I must think they're broke just because I like diners and truck stops....they have the best coffee.....and then they STILL want to have sex with me afterwards! LOL! just goes to show ya....eating makes men horney!
 jonibgood
Msg: 131
Posted: 6/3/2008 10:49:17 AM
There's something to be said about being an independent woman! I've always learned how to do everything myself. Could be a character flaw! I've always had a hard time accepting help from others or even ASKING when I know I can do it myself!

I had a year-long relationship with a "Mr. Fix-it" after I was widowed and I felt a bit weird when he'd come over and just fix something - on my To-Do list or not - without me asking him. It was nice but I'd rather he asked first! Maybe I didn't WANT my fence painted white! Maybe I didn't WANT that concrete border dug out of the lawn! Maybe I didn't WANT that tree hacked to pieces!

But, on the other hand...THANK YOU for fixing the Malibu lights, plastering the planters to match the stucco on the house, for putting up the basketball hoop for my boys, for fixing the gate to the back yard, for fixing the pool heater.

Most of these things I could have/would have done myself (or hired someone to do).
 jellybeanqueen
Msg: 132
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:01:19 PM
I've being doing the 'fix-it ' stuff on my own for years, married or not! I just want to get things done , so find my own way of doing it...to me it is nothing to do with men...if there's one handy, I'd ask for the help (even if I didn't really need it). A good man will reciprocate it naturally and for nothing!!!

So figure out a way to get these things done for yourself and accept help if it's offered in the meantime, knowing full well you could deal with it on your own! You don't need a man, you just need to be more independent!

just my 2 cents
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:05:46 PM

I got real dependent on my ex husband because he was such a great fixer around the house, but ever since my divorce, every man I've met is only intersted in sex and wont' or can't fix things or even hang a picture for me. What is to be expected about this in dating? I guess I am meeting the wrong men(?) and feel so stupid.

You answered your own question

"I got real dependant"... why is it the guys responsibility to be a handyman? Some like it, some don't.. I had a boyfriend who didn't even know the squealing noise from his car was because his power steering fluid was almost dry... sheesh. But he played a mean game of golf and was very funny. So, I fixed his little car problem..he taught me to play golf.

get a manual on home repair and learn to do it yourself.
Maybe he'll learn how to bake?

pssst... it's the 21st. Century
 coyotee53
Msg: 134
Posted: 6/28/2008 1:43:45 PM
I think no one should start anything in someone else’s house with out her permission and he needs to finish what he starts quickly ASAP. And never start something unless the owner has and desires to spend the wherewithal to pay for the supplies and she needs to be there to help there are always gofer jobs on any project as well as the final decision maker. Its your home keep control. I can fix most anything and have the tools to do it. But if I feel someone needs help I let them know I can do it and let them ask. I have my own stuff to do but will help a friend in need sex or relationship should not be the issue. And if it is a relationship suggest it and see if she wants the help. If she does and appreciates it she should pay you back in whatever way she thinks is appropriate
 Tknmytyme
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/28/2008 1:59:42 PM
OHHHH NOOO! Keep posting! That way you can weed out the people you don't want to date or talk to!
My suggestion is you need to become more independent. Take some of the free classes at Home Depot for home repairs. They offer them all the time.
Some of these things you can do for yourself and it will boost your self esteem.
You can't depend on men to be able to do everything. Even if you were married they could die tomorrow and you'd be in the same position.
There is nothing" ungirlie' about being able to take care of a few things that need repaired yourself. It saves you money,time from "begging," and it gives youself respect.
 sahasrara10
Msg: 136
Posted: 6/28/2008 4:00:00 PM
I think it is wise for women to know how to fix things themselves and to do it. However, if a guy is truly interested in a girl, has a home repair crisis and he can fix it and doesn't offer- ditch him. He will be a lazy worthless jerk later when you are married.

If a man doesn't want to help with things to make your life easier, then he is not really interested.
 bodisha1
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 4:30:02 PM

every man I've met is only intersted in sex and wont' or can't fix things or even hang a picture for me. What is to be expected about this in dating?

Are you in the market for a boyfriend/husband or a plumber/carpenter?
 bowlerman67
Msg: 138
Posted: 6/28/2008 4:46:23 PM
Do any of you remember the show Love Connection? There was a date one day that went great, and the audience voted for that same guy so the next date was to be paid for by the show. Well even though they had a great time and the audience voted for the same guy, she wouldn't go out with him again. The reason why? He was a "yellow pages man". Meaning he couldn't fix anything around the house, and she wanted a man who could. Hey, to each there own, but if I met a woman I clicked with who couldn't cook, guess what? I guess I would do the cooking.

BTW, that yellow pages man must be my relative. First I was never taught how to fix thing, and second, now I don't have any interest in learning.

Where's that phone book? Or do I mean these days the internet?
 life_of_leisure
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 6:05:39 PM

I think it is wise for women to know how to fix things themselves and to do it. However, if a guy is truly interested in a girl, has a home repair crisis and he can fix it and doesn't offer- ditch him. He will be a lazy worthless jerk later

Gotta love it... she gets to be Little Miss Independent 99.9% of the time, but when the pipe suddenly breaks and the place is filling with water she gets to conveniently revert to being the Damsel In Distress demanding The Prince rescue her.

How cunningly duplicitous of you. It's a great gig if you can get it, but do you really thing prince's these days are that dense?

sahasrara10
Msg: 140
Posted: 6/28/2008 6:19:23 PM
You must not have read it correctly. If a guy knows how to fix something and doesn't offer, he is a jerk. I think women should know how to fix things. I do. But, we can't all know how to do everything. If he knows how to fix it and doesn't want to help out, then he is a jerk. Many girls don't know how to fix things because they were never taught. A huge mistake because it makes women rely on men when they really don't need to be that dependent.

It seems like what you are saying is women should be submissive to men all the time to get help. Or, be 100% independent and need men for nothing at all. Interesting. That is ridiculous, because it seems like it is better for the guy if we only really need him 1% of the time. It will leave much more leisure time for him to watch his sports.

Anyway, if you don't like being depended on 1% of the time, I guess we should just cook and clean for men 1% of the time?? That sounds fair.
 1.. total package
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2008 6:23:22 PM
This really is funny.ROFLMAO !!! I can roof,hang or fix guttering,fix plumbing, paint,some wiring,install carpet,auto mechanic,interior decorating,Yes I can even hang pictures,landscapeing ,retired gourmet chef, hell I can even sort my clothes for the laundry.Yet you don't want a man like me.WHY? When I do contact a lady for e-mail chat, I get read/delete.Without so much as response.Its simple quit whining,and move on.
 sahasrara10
Msg: 142
Posted: 6/28/2008 6:35:40 PM
For the record, there have been countless times I have tried to help men friends fix their cars or other things since I am good at that sort of thing. I am never welcomed because there is no way I should know better than him. I certainly believe in equality... why doesn't it work both ways? Ego?
 good_catch77
Msg: 143
Posted: 6/29/2008 7:09:19 AM
sahasrara10 ~

If a guy knows how to fix something and doesn't offer, he is a jerk. I think women should know how to fix things. I do. But, we can't all know how to do everything. If he knows how to fix it and doesn't want to help out, then he is a jerk. Many girls don't know how to fix things because they were never taught. A huge mistake because it makes women rely on men when they really don't need to be that dependent.

I agree with about everything of this post except of the guy being a jerk just because he don't offer to fix something he knows how. A little confused if your taking about a s/o that's acceptable. But a friend then no. Are you doing stuff for them. Like clean there house for fixing some pipes (just an example don't take out of context of me saying that's all women do because I am not it is an EXAMPLE). If not then you are taking advantage of a guy friend. I'm the computer nerd I can fix a computer like no ones business but give me a plumbing job or electrical job and I'm like UM idk. At least I'm honest. What upsets me about this whole thing is that some people see it as the "man's job." That just because I'm a man I SHOULD know how to do these things.

The ironic thing is that I work at a hardware store as a cashier. But people men and women come to me just because I am a man. Then when I say I'm not sure let me check they look at me funny. Some people not all. I know its a gender thing because for the ones I see they never do girl cashiers that way. If they say the same thing they "accept" it. Now the same would go if it was a woman's store and a man was working there. People would discredit the men and look at the woman weird.

Sorry this has been a pet pev of mine for a while.

Best of luck to everyone
 Darknight1984
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 9:38:06 AM
I totally can not fix things. It is not my fault I was just not given those skills. I have a hard time nailing a nail in a piece of wood. It is wrong to assume that to be a "man" you have to be good at fixing stuff.
 sahasrara10
Msg: 145
Posted: 6/29/2008 9:51:29 AM
I think I must have a serious communication problem, because it is pretty clear to me, every time I have written it.

If you don't know how to fix something, then please don't try to help if you don't know what you are doing. That never ends well!

It is natural for men and women to help each other with problems they know how to fix. If you have a ripped shirt or a button that fell off and you don't know how to fix it, but I do, isn't it natural for a woman to offer to fix it?

Wouldn't it also be natural for a man to offer to fix a broken pipe if he knows how, than to sit on the sofa watching college football?

The deal is that when you care about someone, it is natural to want to help where you can.

If you DON'T want to help, I question how much you actually care for the person. Even if you aren't an expert in the field. Many people have common sense and can usually figure it out with little trouble.

If people are afraid of being used if they help someone they care about, then we are all screwed. Look outside and figure out why this world is going down the tubes.
 heartseekertrue
Msg: 146
Guys who can't leave anything broken behind'em
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:00:33 AM
Bein' one of those men with 267 power tools (no Binford, sorry Tim)
and enough interest in the world to learn a bit..about as much i can....
(now, i can't really say i DON'T watch TV...but, between McGyver, and Home Improvements....and aside from the race or 10...GO 24!!!-i do not watch any ball sports) i've been blessed with the mechanical aptitude to literally fix anything...
and always preferred to be DOING something, even mindless, than watch someone else do it on the tube.

i have no compunction to not helping someone out. ... its not quid-pro-quo, or only for the ladies. It IS gratis.....USUALLY.
However, there ARE times...that an innocent little project...finds broken pipes, electrical shorts, termites or other unseen hazards...sometimes with SHOCKING clarity!

But beware and be forewarned, if i begin to quote esoteric eastern teachings, masters path "Wilsonisms".... and other sage drivel....( i probably will) lol!
 alwaysme2
Msg: 147
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:06:36 AM
Call it "old school" if you want, but I *love* a man who wants to fix all the broken things around my place to help make me more comfortable. I think it shows caring! Call it "old school" if you want, but I love cooking a man dinner and then cleaning up, and doing his laundry, too. It is probably the generation I came from. I love to wait on a man. It pleases me and I just wish I could find a man who wants it!

I wouldn't worry about what other people think or say. This is the forums after all. People will spew negativity and bash you simply because they don't agree with you. You know what you want in a partner and there is nothing wrong with seeking the type of partner or relationship that you are use to, comfortable with or desire.

I was married to someone who was very handy and did all of the work around the house. I have often wished I would have thanked him more for the things he did. I have learned that sometimes we take things for granted in relationships and should say thank you more often.

After being on my own for so long I have learned to do a lot of things I never thought I would be able to do. I did it with the help of do it yourself websites and going to the big box hardware stores and attending some free workshops they offer.

I still would much prefer to have someone else fix my toliet (fine call me old fashioned too) so I could make him a nice meal to thank him. But oh well if I have to figure out how make the thing stop running all of time by myself... I know I can do it. Even if it takes me a few weeks to figure it out!

If people are afraid of being used if they help someone they care about, then we are all screwed.

I agree :)
 forums1
Msg: 148
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:12:40 AM
Eh, interesting aside to this, I knew a woman a few years ago - we'd met through mutual friends, wasn't really interested in a relationship but she was going through radiation for ovarian cancer, so I took her out to dinner a few times (just on a "friends" basis)...

Went over to her place (new apt she'd moved into) and she pointed out her phone jack in the wall was just hanging by the wires, one screw lost - she was worried because the cat kept playing with it. She didn't even have a screwdriver! (and didn't know any of the neighbors to ask). It was a friday night, so I said to call me 'tomorrow' and I'd stop over with a new screw and a screwdriver and fix it for her - she said she'd call me 'in the morning'.

By like 2PM saturday she hadn't called, so I went out to do some things - came home at like 8PM a *nasty* message on my machine lambasting me for 'promising to help her and not being around'. Uh, hello? You said 'in the morning'? I waited until 2PM, I have a life too? Called her back and just got nasty attitude right off the bat... didn't even bother trying to explain and offer to come over.

Give me a beer, buy a pizza, I'll replumb your kitchen sink for you ... but don't give me attitude if its not flooding your house (ie, not critical) and I'm not re-arranging my life to do it on your instant timescale.
 EagleEric
Msg: 149
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:21:38 AM
Well insist in your profile that there won't be any sex unless something gets fixed around the house. In fact, make is a requirement that the fellow be a qualified fixer of numerous objects that are commonly found around your home.

And ladies you might find a veterinarian who'll fix the cat or dog! BTW, I need some painting done on the old homestead!

The Eagle
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2008 10:21:58 AM
Holy cow Not even owning a screwdriver??? That boggles the mind. I'm a DYI'er. One of the things in life I truly do enjoy. I'm not sure how I learned, why I know, or really when I realized I was able to do just about anything at home ~ it has always been a fact.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Guys who can't or won't fix things around the house