Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > It's Time To Bring Out The Grill......      Home login  
 AUTHOR
It's Time To Bring Out The Grill......Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hello all from Hot, sunny, muggy, almost "hurricane" season Florida....

I thought since I checked the threads and saw that there hasn't been any postings for the grill except for "Grilling Time" back in March, 2007, I thought I would post a NEW thread and an interesting item to put on the grill.

I thought since it is almost warm enough and perfect weather to start grilling along with many of our summer fruits coming to market, time to share a recipe that you all might like to try....so on with the program...feel free to contribute and Enjoy!!!
~~Beth~~

GRILLED PEACHES WITH BLUE CHEESE, HONEY AND BLACK PEPPER

8 Large peaches, firm but ripe, halved and pitted
Vegetable oil
Maytag blue cheese, at room temperature
2 teaspoons honey, warmed
Coarsely ground black pepper

Heat grill to high. Brush cut side of fruit with oil. Place on grill, cut side down.
Grill until cut side is golden brown and caramelized, about 2 minutes.
Turn over and grill 1 to 2 minutes longer, until almost soft.
Put peaches on platter, cut side up, and place a piece of cheese (about 1 rounded teaspoon) in the center of each. Drizzle with a little honey, and grind a little pepper over the top.
Serves: 8
Per Serving: 130 calories, 2 g protein, 19g carbohydrates, 6g fat(1g saturated), 2g fiber, 58mg sodium.
 Classy Nomad
Msg: 2
It's Time To Bring Out The Grill......
Posted: 5/23/2008 1:21:18 AM
Hey, Beth!...

I'll jump in this one with you! I could live with just my grill and a little cast-iron cookware.

Maybe we figure out something interesting to do with those yummy lil' bugs from Louisiana that you're so fond of!

-Nomad-
 Glass Slipper11
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 5:10:12 AM
Thanks for the recipe Green Eyes! I always have a TON of peaches and always look for creative ways in using them. I haven't run across too many peach recipes that are a bit savoury. It looks like a bumper crop this year!

I love doing pizza on the grill. Take pizza dough rolled fairly thin. Brush with olive oil... sprinkle with a bit of corn meal, toss it on the grill till golden, flip and add toppings of choice. My favourite is Thai chicken pizza...... my current favourite that is. Spicy peanut sauce, shredded chicken, mozza... topped with chopped fresh cilantro when done.

Great thread by the way, I 'm sure we'll get some GREAT ideas here.
 Classy Nomad
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/23/2008 5:27:12 AM
I copied and pasted this from a previous post I made elsewhere. I just think lamb is great stuff, if you get GOOD lamb- not that old muttony tasting crap. I'm looking t a few stew recipes I may play with in the next couple of days, as well- invoving things like leeks, turnips, stout, mushrooms... I'm making myself HONGRY!!!

Lamb Recipe!!!

I'll simplify this, but it's likely to get longer, lol.

I like shoulder arm chops, or the leg chops that are usually merchandised right next to them. Rack of lamb works well this way too, and I'd rather spend for a rack than those silly overpriced little T-boned chops.

Old Bay is now marketing a blackened seasoning, and with salt as the 7-8th item in the ingredients, it makes a good rub. Tamari sauce is a less salty, bock-brewed sushi-quality soy sauce with a much richer flavor than the typical Chinese varieties like Kikkoman. Madras curry can be rubbed on after the Old Bay, if you want to try my alternate recipe. In that instance, when you grill them, sprinkle with the Tamari in lieu of the worstershire that you'd use in absence of the curry.

Depending on the level of flavor you desire, use a quality extra-virgin olive oil to coat your meat: rub first/oil last for more intense spicy flavor, and do the opposite for a more balanced flavor. In the case that you oil first, you really don't have to rub- the spices will cling to the oil. Just allow a little more stand-time before grilling to allow the flavors to infuse the oil and settle into the meat. I like to have a****ail and do my other prep work during the 30min-hour stand time If you rub first, you can just take said****ail out to the grill with you and gitterdone!

Lamb is better cooked no more than medium-rare, in my opinion, and generally speaking, thicker chops are better if you can get your shop or market to cut them as such.

I like to cook on a hot grill- drop 'em on and sear them, then flip them and don't disturb them until you flip them back once more before taking them off. I'm not going to tell anyone how to grill- just keep your eye on them and the squirtbottle handy, because while lamb is almost as healthy to eat as buffalo, it is still oily and will flare up as soon as you turn your back. A little char is really good, especially if you like the island-effect that the curried alternative imparts, but you surely won't like them burnt to a crisp!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, those bags of Mahatma Yellow Rice Dinner go really nicely with the lamb- and some shallots or sweet onion in the water with it as it cooks is nice. Don't cut 'em too small, though.

Also, pico de gallo goes nicely with the curry idea, and you can incorporate it into your yellow rice for more island flair. I usually make fresh pico and use it as a side, then the next night when leftovers are all nicely flavor-married, take the yellow rice, a little oil in a saute or handled wok, and toss the rice- you are essentially going to do a pico-fried rice, so the ability to toss like a chef is a good technique to employ, as you won't mash your rice into a pulp trying to stir in the pico. A fresh lime squeezed in adds flavor and serves to add moisture to the rice as you cook, and the sugars in the lime will caramelize imperceptibly, where water only amplifies the mush factor.

Last, if there's a Panera near you, well, you know where to go to get some good foccaccia bread to heat on the side of the grill you kicked a little cooler just for your bread. And, Spring mix salad with some croutons and a balsamic vineagrette is a fantastic starter.

Francis Ford-Coppola bought the old Niebaum family winery in California some years ago, and I personally have been impressed with everything they do. Aside from their typicals which sell from $16-22/bottle depending on your market, they also skillfully blend and market their tailings as "Rosso" for $7-11, again depending on your market. My favorite is their Claret. It's a darn good bargain on a store-bought cabernet. Carrabba's and the Outback have these wines on their list as well, if you want to try before you buy!

I'm not a chef, just an aspiring gourmet... Actually, I'm a truckdriver by trade, who is SICK of eating crap, and I really enjoy the kitchen when I can find some friends to share a hand-crafted meal and some good times. Someone drop me a line and let me know how this worked out for you.

Bon Apetit!

-Nomad-
 Spanish Lover XCLNTE
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/23/2008 7:17:53 AM
I used to bbq potato chips but then found out that they sell 'em like that, Yum!

One of my favorite things to do is BBQ University's beer can chicken recipe. Dang that baby turns out juicy and mildly spicy. Yum Yum Yum.
 Classy Nomad
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:20:28 AM
Not to mention, you get to do interesting things to the chicken with the beer can!!!

-Nomad-
 Spanish Lover XCLNTE
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:49:40 AM
GDEV!!!

Gracias a Dios - ES VIERNES !!!

That peach recipe looks good, I may have to crumble up some homemade charcoal and fire that grill up! Or, perhaps I will just borrow a neighbor's gas grill tomorrow.

Happy Memorial Day weekend!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:40:34 AM
This peach recipe does sound lovely! Something different to do on the grill for a change of pace. I really do not have many grilling tips to share. Am just starting to broaden my horizons with the grill so I hope others have lots of info to share! Thanks all!
 Jackiecan2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 10:06:46 AM
And hello to you's from crappy weather Quebec, Canada
Peaches sound yummy but have ta wait till they come in season and some of that Hot, sunny, muggy...not much chance of hurricane weather gets here!!!

I recipe I like on the BBQ is Griiled Tomatoes

just take some firm juicy tomatoes put them on an alunimum plate, sprinkle with some italian dressing, salt and pepper, mozzerella cheese, parmesean, some parsley... grill for ...10 to 12 minutes real easy!!!!!!

Bon appetite

sanderick
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/23/2008 10:27:42 AM
Dam I LOVE the peaches recipe. Will definitely do that one. What a great little "dessert" snack after a nice meal, or an appy. YUM

I was going to mention the grilled pizza, but another poster took it. Thats yum too.

I love the rotisserie on my grill. That cooks just about any meat so nicely. Chicken or Turket rubbed, then wrapped in Bacon.

Unwrap corn, place a few pats of butter on it with some fresh pepper and garlic salt. Wash the husks and Put a few of the husks back on, while still damp. Then wrap in foil.

Plop on the grill.

Cookingincalgary
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/23/2008 10:49:24 AM
One of my favorites is to grill Bananas and serve it with ice cream. I put chocolate sauce on the ice cream, but my daughter puts on strawberry sauce.

Grill Bananas and ice cream

1/2 gallon (2 Litres) favorite vanilla ice cream
4 firm, ripe bananas
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar.

1) Prepare grill
2) Peel Bananas and cut in half length wise
3) I a pan big enough to hold the bananas, cream the butter and sugar
4) Add bananas to the pan and coat lightly with the butter mixture. If the bananas are as firm as they should be, you can toss them in the mixture
5) Place coated bananas on an oiled rack 5-6" off the coals
6) Cook until golden brown then flip and do the same for the other side. 2 mintues or so a side

I serve them like a banana split. Very yummy and not too expensive.

Maple glzed pineapple is also another favorite with the local kids. I add a little cognac when serving it to adults and flambe it on the way to the table.

Enjoy!
 Ms Brat
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:08:26 AM
Tell me bout the chicken and the beer can. Ive heard something of this years ago. What exactly is this concoction? Sounds interesting....
 Classy Nomad
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:22:24 AM
Brat, I think you could find it on Food.com. Some other popular names include "beer-butt chicken", and it's pretty much what it sounds like. The bird is placed butt-first over an open can of beer, which steams up into the cavity as it is cooked. Not real fancy, but I've heard it is outstanding!

-Nomad-
 Moonchild51
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:31:32 AM
I have done the beer butt chicken. You take out apprx. half of the beer from the can and then stick the can up Mr. Chikees butt. I usually baste the outside of mine with a mix of butter, parsley, salt and pepper. The bird plumps up moist and juicy! Yum! Just be careful when you take the can out of the rear end as it can be quite hot!
 Ms Brat
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/23/2008 12:21:57 PM
Wonderful...I'm doing this on my grill this weekend. It really does sound delicious...Im going online now to look up the details. So much pleasure from such a simple thing, and I AM EXCITED to try a new technique (if thats what we can call it!).My holiday weekend itinerary is now complete....Thank you guys for your creative spirit!
 Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 2:55:19 PM
Thank you ALL for getting into the "spirit" of things and responding to my thread.

I am equally grateful that you all like my grilled peaches recipe that I found and hope

that those of you that try it will give feedback on it.

Have a lovely Memorial Day weekend and think about how grateful we are here to

be alive and be happy with what we have.

Cheers, Peace, Ciao.....~~Beth~~

P.S. I'll give my marinated skirt steak recipe for the grill next post. Stay tuned!!!
 Glass Slipper11
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:48:20 PM
Yea! Beer butt chicken is awesome! I find that the tall cans work a little better. I normally add some spices to the beer..... what ever you want. I like to add a little liquid smoke to the beer and spices. Experiment! I rub the chicken with a little olive oil, paprika and montreal steak spice seasoning.

The grilled tomato idea is great! I hadn't thought of doing that. I do however do grill veggies. Toss peppers ( I like red and yellow) with zucchini....the zucchini cut a bit on the diagonal ... with a little olive oil , balsamic vinegar, oregeno and kosher salt and cracked pepper. It's a nice side dish to whatever else you're grilling. You could use any veggie you wanted, but find the grill marks on the zucchini and colours of the peppers work well together.
 texerotic2
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/23/2008 3:53:05 PM
Grilled peaches? Who'da thunk?

:o)

Now, here are some culinarily orgasmic dishes, from the common-sense school of thought that believes that members of the animal kingdom need to be the focus of a real BBQ, and the dishes should not be for the timid. Here are a few of my favorite Thai dishes, self-tweaked to reflect my own personal preferences:

-------------------------------------

Thai Marinated Grilled Beef

Ingredients

1 lb trimmed beef flank or skirt steak
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
Strips of red bell pepper
Slices of tomato
Chopped fresh cilantro
Lime wedges

Slice the steak into thin pieces, about ¼ inch thick. It helps to place the beef in the freezer for about 30 minutes, prior to slicing.

In a large bowl, mix the soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, sugar, and olive oil; until blended well and the sugar is dissolved. Place the steak slices into this marinade, and let sit for about 30 minutes.

Grill (or broil, in the oven) the steak slices for a few minutes; and then turn over, and grill the other side. Place the grilled steak on a platter, and garnish with the cilantro, and red pepper slices. Garnish the side with the lime wedges, and the tomato slices. Serve with the Thai Hot Sauce as a dipping sauce, and the Cucumber Salad as a side dish (see below).

Young Thailand Hot Sauce

Ingredients

4 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp "Nam Pla" (Thai) fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
6 or 7 finely chopped Serrano chili peppers

Mix well all of the above ingredients, until the sugar is dissolved. Let set for awhile. Serve at room temperature.

Thai Cucumber Salad

Ingredients

2 medium sized cucumbers
½ small red onion
½ medium red bell pepper
3 Serrano chili peppers, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp brown sugar
½ cup rice (or white) vinegar
1 Tbsp Nam Pla fish sauce
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Peel the cucumbers. Slice in half; and using a spoon, scoop out and discard the seeds and center core. Slice the remaining cucumber into thin slices. Thinly slice the red bell pepper, and the red onion, and toss in a bowl with the cucumber, serrano peppers, and garlic.

In a bowl, mix the sugar, vinegar, and fish sauce; until well mixed, and the sugar dissolves. Pour over the vegetables, and let sit. Serve chilled, or at room temperature. Just prior to serving, drain some of the liquid, and garnish with the chopped cilantro.
 Spanish Lover XCLNTE
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:21:21 PM
Here's a version of the beer can chicken, cajun style...

http://www.bbqu.net/season3/304.html

OR

The original style, which is what I made and like alot, very subtle and delicious:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/recipe/basic_beercan_c.php
 sanderick
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:29:48 PM
For the beer can chicken, yes definitely add spices to the beer. make sure you select a nice and very flavorful beer. Don't get cheap beer.

I like to add a couple fresh sprigs of Rosemary to the beer. Incredible.

BTW, you can do beer can Duck and beer can Turkey. You just buy the largest can of beer that will fit into your bird.

Spanish Lover XCLNTE
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:30:51 PM
I also like beer can mouth, incredible experience.
 Been there done that.
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/23/2008 4:38:03 PM
My gas grill is very small, so I cant stand chicken in it, but when I still had my big (very big) webber, I would convection grill whole chickens and cornish hens for family feeds. I could get 4 chickens or 8 hens roasted at a time.

I found out this week that I got my promotion I put in for, so when I get my first "bigger check" I'm planning to do some grilled lobster tails, or crab legs depending on what looks the best at the time.

I'm keeping my eye on this tread for some great ideas.

Thanks VGE...great thread.
 Charon52
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2008 10:01:29 PM
Beer Butt Chicken:
I use about 1/2 to 3/4 can of Guinness and add a clove of garlic to the can.
The rest of the beer goes into a sauce/glaze- 1/4 to 1/2 can beer, chopped garlic, Old Bay, couple Tbsp Malt vinegar for bite, Tbsp brown sugar. Mix well. When the chicken is 1/2 hour from done, paint on the sauce and baste more sauce every 10 minutes.

I also put the canned chicken in an old pie tin to catch the juices for using over rice.

Grilled veggies are easy and taste great too.
Marinade of:
1 part olive oil
1/3 part Malt Vinegar
1/4 part Lemon (or Lime) Juice
1/4 part low sodium soy sauce
Mix all liquids in a large glass jar and hold overnight.

Kosher Salt
Cracked Pepper
HOT Paprika

In a large bowl, cut the veggies into long strips, about 1/2" thick. Favorites are zuchinni, asparagus, carrots, parsnips, turnips, taters, and jicama. Toss with the liquid, add salt & pepper and paprika to taste. Lay out on a safety grate (1/4" chicken wire) on the grill and toss periodically until the veggies are tender. Put some of the marinade in a spray bottle and spritz them once in a while if needed to slow the caramelizing.

You can do part of this on the grill, but it's more a variant on Cole Slaw...
Roasty-Toasty Cole Slaw
Pan-toast 1/4 to 1/3 cup Pine Nuts and reserve.
Cut 2 medium Green cabbages in quarters, but DO NOT remove the core.
Cut 1 small RED cabbage in quarters, same as above.
Cut 2 med spanish onions in half along the equator.
Sprinkle the cabbage and onions with lemon juice and olive oil and place on a HOT flaming grill. When they're charred and starting to get toasty, but NOT soft, remove and cool.
While that's all cooling off, prep the dressing:
1 cup light flavored oil. Safflower, peanut, etc.
1/2 cup Malt Vinegar
1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp Brown mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke

Chop the cabbage and onions in thin strips and toss to mix.
Add the pre-mixed dressing and toss again.
Add 1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
Add 3/4 cup shredded carrots (raw)
Add the toasted pine nuts.
Toss again.
Adjust salt & pepper to taste. {ETA: Tastes best after it gets a chance to meld flavors for 24 hours or so}

Should I re-post the Broken Jew Burger recipe? It's in one of the burger threads, but are great on a grill.
 Glass Slipper11
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2008 2:44:51 AM
OMG charon, you are really a wealth of information and recipes.
Will you invite me for dinner, I'm drooling on my keyboard right now.
Please do share your burger recipe!
This is great, getting so many ideas "thinking outside of the box". Sometimes get into a rut and find inspiration here.

Thanks everyone, keep the recipes coming. Love 'em!
 leslie321
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2008 4:00:49 AM
glass slipper - could you share your thai pizza recipe?

can't wait to try the peaches, tomatos, and other thai recipes as well. thanks so much for sharing and for starting this wonderful thread!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > It's Time To Bring Out The Grill......