Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > NEW FEATURE: Smarts - Options & General Dis      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweetcountryrose
Msg: 1
NEW FEATURE: Smarts - Options & General Discussion HEREPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Could you possibly add "Some university" and "College diploma" to the options under Smarts (Education)?? I noticed there is now a "Bachelor's degree" option but i imagine some people would like to see "Master's degree" as well (at Canadian universities this is the step between a Bachelor's and a PhD). The options right now seem to be mainly geared towards Americans, not Canadians.
Thanks!!
 markus
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:46:40 PM
I added Masters degree.

I don't know yet if there is a need to break out college and university
 Tiny72
Msg: 3
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:48:37 PM
hey there :D i love the feature. But could you had a tradesmen/journey men - for the folks that have put time in to a career but dont fall under those category's ,such as iron worker, electrician, mechanic.

Thanks
 markus
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:49:23 PM
Ok fine, its added.
 Lola and Her Honey
Msg: 5
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:56:06 PM

But could you had a tradesmen/journey men

Lots of us "techies" out there with Technical Degrees also.

ty

LH
 markus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 6:59:20 PM
I can't please everyone and I don't want so many categories that it will be useless when it comes to search. Lots of people also start college or university and drop out.
 Leeanne
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 7:00:59 PM
I'd rather NOT have this category - as well as the car option - this stuff just screams shallow and trying to impress! Not my personality - I would rather have 'prefer not to say'!

There are opinions here too!
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10026487.aspx

re msg 12 - Yeah my Dad went to grade 6 - but became a self made multi millionaire - who owned his own business - built by his hands on education!

OH God now income is there!
 starz10
Msg: 8
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 7:13:54 PM
Hey,

Did anyone else notice that it's spelled "Eduction"????? lol that's pretty ironic isn't it.

My 2 cents - formal education is irrelevant IMHO. I would like to see "prefer not to say" for those people who choose to judge me solely on whether I'm educated or not.

PS: what the heck is an associate's degree - we don't have that in Canada, eh.
 midol
Msg: 9
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 7:14:26 PM
My dad only went up to grade 10. Does that mean he doesn't have any smarts?
 mon cherie
Msg: 10
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:01:20 PM

PS: what the heck is an associate's degree - we don't have that in Canada, eh.

Yes, we have associate degree in Canada.

I personally like the feature, but I think that N/A and highschool should be separated. I have more than highschool but I would prefer not to say what I have.

Thank you for adding new features. Keeps it interesting.
 Drummaboi604
Msg: 11
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:01:59 PM
How do we actually SEARCH for others by "smarts" category?

Has that feature been implented yet, or will it be in the near future?

Cheers.
 bachelorbob96
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:18:29 PM
Please make "Smarts" searchable. And please change it to "Education."

I would also like to see ALL fields selectable as check boxes, so that I can select more than one, but not all (via "I don't care). For instance, I want to search for both "Long-term" *AND* "Dating," all in one search.

Also, searches need to gallery return 50 hits (not 15!) per page. Or a user selected number: 15, 25, 50, 100, 250.
 starz10
Msg: 13
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:34:26 PM
Well, what is it then? I was asking becasue I honestly have no clue ... I've gone to both NAIT and university in Edmonton and haven't heard it before.... whatever it is, I suppose its better than an MRS degree right

cheers
 Geneseo
Msg: 14
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:37:58 PM
In case anyone is wondering.

In U.S.A.

Elementary school grades 1-8

High school grades 9-12

College degrees:

Associates (usually two years)

Bachelors (usually four years)

Masters (varies, but follows Bachelors)

Doctorate (PHD) Varies, but follows Masters.

These are general however, times for degrees vary according to how fast one aquires credit courses in university. For instance, there are some accelerated programs, that might take a person from an Associates degree, to a Masters in less time then six years, and such.
 realdream7
Msg: 15
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:49:06 PM
I added Masters degree.

What is the difference between that and a Graduate degree? In the US they are generally one and the same--although I suppose a Graduate degree could imply either a Master's or a Ph. D. Oy, confusion!

I don't know yet if there is a need to break out college and university

Again, in the US, for all practical purposes, they are considered one and the same.

Instead of "Smarts", I would would simply call it "Education." There are some very smart people with little education, and there are also educated idiots!

Laidback_Catguy!
Msg: 16
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 8:57:46 PM
Instead of "Smarts", I would would simply call it "Education." There are some very smart people with little education, and there are also educated idiots!

Thus smarts is a better term, dont ya think?
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Smarts Options
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:18:14 PM
High School should have its own selection, maybe combined with GED like:

High School Grad/GED

The N/A selection is confusing. For some, smarts are non-applicable? They be without any smarts?

For those that didn't even gradumacate high school, let them have the ever-popular Prefer Not To Say.

Also, if the search doesn't allow multiple selections, well, you know where I'm going with this one.

I personally don't care about a babe's edumacation. I find a waitress who works at a dinor who's a high school dropout but street savvy very alluring. I also like libarians and nurses.

That's right, libarians.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 18
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:45:53 PM
I dislike the idea of refering to it as "smarts".
I'm sure that everyone knows at least 1 moron who has a university education.
The amount of time a person has spent in school isn't always an accurate indicator of intelligence.
 untamedred
Msg: 19
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 10:20:46 PM
I do agree with the poster who mentioned trades certs...very different than a degree or diploma...yet every bit as important!
 Tarknot
Msg: 20
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:33:08 PM
I have an "Ontario College Advanced Diploma" in a 3 Year technology program at Mohawk College that I am proud of earning.

"Some college" or N/A does not accurately reflect this achievement!
 DiveFree
Msg: 21
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:35:55 PM

I'd rather NOT have this category - as well as the car option - this stuff just screams shallow and trying to impress! Not my personality - I would rather have 'prefer not to say'!

I think N/A is the option if you pick High School, which is kinda like "prefer not to say."

I'm a uni prof and have been teaching for 7 years. I can tell you that I have seen lots of students who are in school and never finish. So many give up because they are just not serious or mature enough. When people have earned a degree, it means they have some how managed to focus on a goal and made personal sacrifices to attain it. It's not something they didn't control (like their natural eye/hair/skin color, zodiac sign or height).

Fact: a person with a degree will likely be able to earn more money on the job market, and that will help if you want to buy a house and raise kids. Some people have those goals and are looking for a good partner. Raising a child that's born today will cost you $200,000 over the next 20 years! That's like a second mortgage. If I'm looking for a long-term match, education level is important.

Why is searching on education level any more shallow than looking for someone who doesn't do drugs or has never contacted someone for "intimate encounters"?

Personally, I wouldn't rule out meeting a woman who didn't have a university degree. In fact, I dated an artisan for 7 years. She struggled to earn money because of her marketability, and she definitely was complexed by the fact that she could not contribute equally financially. I always said it didn't matter, and I loved her for her passion for work; she worked very hard. But hard work doesn't always pay off. A degree teaches people to work smart. We were actually not compatible for other reasons (I'm frank about my thoughts, she was more sensitive to criticism).

Bottom line: it's more likely that fish who have more or less the same level of education are going to be compatible.

As for your comment about your dad only having a grade 6 education and being a millionaire, there are always rare stories like that. But if you look at society as a whole, people with more education are going to make more money by far. Companies hire people and pay them based on pieces of paper. I agree that it's not always fair, but that is how our society works!
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 22
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:37:54 PM
Can we have a "Genius" option??
I feel left out.....
 DiveFree
Msg: 23
Smarts options
Posted: 5/23/2008 11:51:02 PM

dislike the idea of refering to it as "smarts".
I'm sure that everyone knows at least 1 moron who has a university education.
The amount of time a person has spent in school isn't always an accurate indicator of intelligence.

Good points. Education level seems like a good name for it, and intelligence actually never really changes over your lifetime (IQ). Besides, it's been shown that IQ doesn't predict anyones success in careers, life, etc. Lots of high-IQ people never finish university and even end up in prison.

As for morons with university educations, yes they exist. The sad thing is a lot of them make more money than morons without a university education.

I'm very happy that this option got added - I hope the "customization requests" are not going to discourage the powers that be from adding it to the advanced search page :-)
 ren83
Msg: 24
Smarts options
Posted: 5/24/2008 1:09:01 AM
Okay, so I looked at my profile and it said, "Smarts: N/A", and I was wondering who told. Luckily, I found out that the "smarts" section had nothing to do with intelligence. It was actually education. So why not call it education? It seems like a really easy and obvious change.

As for categories, the first thing to do is simplify it by saying "highest level completed". That one immediately knocks out the "some college" and "some university" categories. People that are still in college almost always put it somewhere in their profile anyways, and the world doesn't usually reward people for going to college without getting a degree. So saying "some college" is not a necessary distinction from "High School".

The following categories work for all US people, and should also work worldwide.
1) Prefer Not to Say
2) High School/GED
3) Trade School
4) Associate Degree
5) Bachelor's Degree
6) Master's Degree
7) PHD/Post Doctoral

If you want, you can also combine Masters degrees and PHD/Post Doctoral into one category: "Graduate Degree", reducing it down to 6 categories.

With my suggested changes, I think you'll have less complaints overall.
 anniesea
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Smarts options
Posted: 5/24/2008 3:12:36 AM
Smarts - only when spanked with a hairbrush?

Education not Smarts, please!

And drop the "some" too, please, it makes it sound like a trivial matter...

In the UK, College has a couple (at least) of meanings.

If you're as old as me (!!!) it can mean post-18 education for a certificate (e.g. in Education, a teaching qualification) or a diploma, both of which were equivalent to university degrees but where the institution was not allowed to award degrees. For younger folks, a College is now almost always post-16 education, followed instead of under-18 education in school, but definitely pre-University level, although trade qualifications post-18 are usually studied at a College...

Not sure how that can be catered for, though.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > NEW FEATURE: Smarts - Options & General Discussion HERE