Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do you believe the only person you can count on is yourself?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Liam22
Msg: 1
Do you believe the only person you can count on is yourself?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It's not a happy philosophy but I learned early on that it's quite true. Most of the people that I have counted on to help me have faded out of my life or betrayed me so I've learned not to depend on others to help me and instead just to help myself, as hard as it may be.
 CanadianBeef
Msg: 2
Do you believe the only person you can count on is yourself?
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:53:14 AM
Well, if you really listen to what you you just asked, the answer is obvious. The only person you can *ever* really count on is you.

I think expecting someone o be there for you 110% of the time is both unfare and unrealisitc, so it's not reallly depressing, it's just life.

I think it's OK to expect your friends and family to be there for you, in times where they can be, but anything more is selfish.
 Sabrosura
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:57:15 AM
We can't control the behaviors of others. Therefore, the ONLY person we can truly count on is ourselves........and on those who genuinely love us.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:01:00 PM
You mean I can count on myself? I mean, sure, fingers and toes are a given ....
 clasact
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:01:11 PM
No, I don't believe that I'm the only person that I can count on.

However, that being said, I have always been one to count on myself, first and foremost. I don't like to have to count on anyone else at all. Could be that I don't like to have to ask for help, so I do the best that I can.

But, there are times when we must, because there's just certain things/situations that are beyond our control at times and someone else will have to take the "reins" if they are there. I have a very small family both immediate and extended, but IF I should chose to ask them for something any would gladly take the "reins" should I not be able to do so. I'd probably have to be incapacitated or something for that to occur though.

I depend on no on EXCEPT myself.
 ForumFilly
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:15:36 PM
It's a fact of life. I am the only person who is always with me. I am the one I must depend on. There are others who help along the way... some for assistance, some for guidance, some for laughter, some for insight, some for love, some for friendship and various other desires in life. But for surviving this roller coaster ride of a life, the only one you can ALWAYS depend on and count on to come through, is yourself. And that's as it should be.
 baviaans kloof
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:24:29 PM
sad as it is... yes i do believe that.

but then again, i never ask anyone to help me so i could be wrong.
 singer James
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:30:39 PM

No. I believe I can count on my best male friends.
 sarcastic_smileygirl
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:44:11 PM

One could hope that you could count on your friends and family to be there for you, whenever it was possible for them to do so. But you cannot expect someone else to drop everything in their life to give you 100% undivided attention. Everyone in life has responsibilities, and if other people are making an effort to be there for you, that's all you can expect, realistically.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:49:48 PM
Nope.

My cat's always been there for me, too.

sn1ckerz
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 12:58:14 PM
I have to say that CanadianBeef said it best.

It's a shame that people say they will be there for you but at times they aren't. It all depends on the time of need and what the need is.

Your family should always be there for you, but some people count on them to much and take advantage of that. That is so selfish of them.

You can't count on your spouse all the time either. As much as I would love to say otherwise, but look at the rate of divorse. Even though each has their own reasons why (such as cheating or beating), you counted on each other and they didn't come through. So the marraige had failed.
You count on each other to go through all the bumps in the road of life and they can't handle them anymore, so they failed.

For so many reason in so many areas, I will say NO you can not count on anyone except yourself.
 SCUDRUNN3R
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:08:08 PM
I live by it. If something needs done, do it yourself. You can of course always ask for help though.
 CanadianBeef
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:10:11 PM

It's a fact of life. I am the only person who is always with me. I am the one I must depend on. There are others who help along the way... some for assistance, some for guidance, some for laughter, some for insight, some for love, some for friendship and various other desires in life. But for surviving this roller coaster ride of a life, the only one you can ALWAYS depend on and count on to come through, is yourself. And that's as it should be.

Thats what I was tryiing to say...theif
 BreaksDJ
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:18:19 PM

but then again, i never ask anyone to help me so i could be wrong.

I'm the same way, but to me, that's what makes the difference between a good friend, and just some other schmuck. You shouldn't have to ask a good friend for help, they should know and do something. That something may not be up to the level you need, but it's support of one sort or another.
I've had to learn to depend on myself one main reason. I've been too good a friend to others, not paying enough attention to myself, and when crunch time came and I finally needed the help, all the freeloaders took off. Very sad.
 pbaby21
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/4/2008 1:21:22 PM
Yes. Why is it someone elses responsibility to "watch over you" and take care of you? You are in charge of your own destiny not some mate, family member or friend.
 lauren-
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:00:21 PM
I can't even count on myself...lol!

Said differently: could you really count on someone, "someone" including yourself?
Knowing that we are all limited human beings...

Nothing is garantied, and for some reasons sometimes it happens you can count more on yourself than on others (one person said it here -Sabrosura, because you control it), on the other hand, you might sometimes count more on someone else, because precisely you can't find a way by yourself and someone else has something that you don't have to bring to you...
And sometimes, you just cannot count on anyone...maybe on God (definition of God for somewhere else)!

WomanInProgress
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:08:48 PM
I believe that I am the only one with 100% certainty looks out for my own best interests, but there are a couple people in my life that I feel I could call if things were absolutely dire.
 BreaksDJ
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:15:01 PM
^^^That's kinda funny coming from a Personal Assistant!?!
Have you ever been seriously depressed? Alcoholic? On the downward, self-loathing, self-destructive spiral of death? No. Then you lead a charmed life, count yourself fortunate. Though friends and loved ones are in no way masters of another persons destiny, sometime their love and support is needed to help a person back onto the tracks which they fell off. There's a big difference between having someone "watch over you"/"take care of you" and having someone there to count on when you need support.
When my best friends dad died a couple years ago, he didn't have the funds to fly home, and couldn't count on his family to have those funds to help him either. He didn't need someone to watch over him, or take care of him, he needed someone to count on, which is where I stepped in.
A good person stepping up to the plate to be compassionate, understanding, and above all else, supportive is what we all need in our lives at one time or another.
 LukeNineteen80
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:16:45 PM

I can't even count on myself...

I am also not sure I can be trusted with this kind of responsibility. Sometimes I do things, and put myself in situations...and if anyone else did that to me, I would boot them right out of my life.
 lauren-
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:22:51 PM
"and if anyone else did that to me, I would boot them right out of my life"

Totally agree !

And more, sometimes you won't help yourself but you'll do it for someone else.
Especially as a mother, I find it true, while I am up to find sometimes the courage to do things for my daughter, and for myself...i'll just let it like that!

So sometimes, you can count on other more than on yourself!
 LukeNineteen80
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:24:50 PM
I also won't help other people, but I can see where you are coming from theoretically.
 lauren-
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:29:44 PM
"I also won't help other people"

You don't have kids, that's why...LOL (if you can call kids "people")
 LukeNineteen80
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/4/2008 2:35:54 PM
I'm reasonably certain I don't have any children. I suppose i'd make an exception if I had a little protege to account for.
 1missblueeyes
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:22:45 PM
Yes very true. I was raised to look after myself first. I've had people in my life (exes) who let me down big time so now it's me first.
 1missblueeyes
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/4/2008 3:23:28 PM
And the only respect that matters is the respect I have for myself.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do you believe the only person you can count on is yourself?