Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Do athletic guys look for athletic women only?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Crazypeach
Msg: 1
Do athletic guys look for athletic women only?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have been shying away from all the profiles where the men place themselves as "Athletic". I am a plus size woman and am assuming since you're athletic, you wouldn't be interested. Am I right? A lot of profiles don't say what "size" they're looking for, so I'm just assuming at this point. So what's the scoop?
 bilczuk
Msg: 2
Do athletic guys look for athletic women only?
Posted: 6/4/2008 9:52:49 PM
I would think that it's a preference but not a requirement.

Rock On!
 kthyg
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 9:56:53 PM
I've been approached by very athletic men and less athletic men. I think it just depends on the guy. What's the worse that happens? They say no, make a rude comment, or just don't respond?
 Bubbais51
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 10:55:16 PM
I don't think most of us feel that way. Now i am in a way i have less respect for women who obviously let their appearance fly out the window meaning teeth and poor dressing habits or slobby. But i don't require her looks to be some superwoman either. I go for the one with the better attitude and moral count.
 42 4 U
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/4/2008 11:37:34 PM
Do you mean athletic,as in actually playing sports,running,etc?Or just choose athletic as a body type?

I run and work out regularly,and am a high energy person.I feel my picture and profile reflect that,however,I won't turn someone down just because she doesn't run 4 miles a day,or play on a sports team.I am interested in getting to know her,and seeing where things go.As long as she looks after herself,and her health properly,its all good.I realize that not everyone is blessed with perfect genetics,and can stay slim while eating at McDonalds every day,but if she just lets herself go and doesn't care about maintaining a healthy lifestyle,I won't find that very attractive.Being over weight or out of shape catches up with you,and its up to each person to do all they can to maintain their health.
 Slightly_Stoopid
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 12:13:28 AM
it reaaly depends on what is meant by athletic which changes from person to person. Athletic as a body type, nothing ventured is nothing gained. a guy who is athletic himself......well thats just one of possibly many things him(her) and another person who isnt don't have in common.

the more athletic the guy (or girl) the less time the spend doing non-athletic activities and the less likely they are to be chowing down on Burger king. At least in my experiences when I date a woman who isnt into working out one of two things has happened: a) she either overtly or subtly tries to get me to stop working out b) she complains a lot about her own body and it gets annoying. Not saying you would fit into one of those, but thats been my experience
 1313MBL
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 1:06:33 AM
I lost 50 lbs and kept it off since the breakup of my marriage three years ago. It started out as something to occupy my time and get rid of excess energy. I have found out that not only have many of my health problems disappeared but my self esteem improved immensely. This is all due to exercise and diet. Also I have met many intelligent, well educated, happy people who became really good friends. I have never encountered an angry runner.

Now I digress.

I think there are several reasons the people who are “athletic” are looking for other “athletic” people.
One reason might be to share their “hobbies” with someone because it might take up a big portion of their lives and ither they don’t have time to divide that with dating and/or that is what they find fun and exciting and want to share it.
Another reason might be that they are looking for someone they want to share their life with and they want to make sure that it is a long health life together.
There are probably just as many reasons as there are “athletic” profiles.

I use the term “athletic” on my profile not because I am an Adonis or Hercules, I just consider myself “fit” because I exercise. I put it there because of the level of energy and time that I devote to keeping fit. I run my crazy little legs off! Hardly lift weights ever. So I think the term “athletic” can mean many different things. A weight lifter can use the term “athletic” in the same way and look totally different.

I digress once more.

Although I term myself “athletic” I don’t just look for “athletic” women. Why would I want to limit my pool of potential dates? I look for overall “healthy” woman. If you don’t exercise as much as me that is ok. I don’t need you to diet as much as myself. But I don’t want to come home after exercising and eating healthy to a woman that is laying (all day) on the couch eating Bon-bon’s in front of the TV. So I look for overall health not the “athletic” stamp on their profile.

So OP I suggest if you find someone you want to contact and see the “athletic” stamp on his profile…take the plunge….the worst that will happen is Read/Delete. I think that is low risk for potential a good outcome.
 Ralleac
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:02:02 AM
I generally look for women who are at least somewhat interested in fitness or staying active, as it is a part of my lifestyle. I've taken a number of steps to educate myself on fitness and nutrition over the past 7-8 years, and both are somewhat important to me.

I find some women with a few extra pounds attractive, but I can't really deal with obesity. I can deal with a relationship with someone who has less than ideal eating habits as long as they don't try to force me to eat their food very often.
 johnayboy88
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:05:08 AM
no... i would like a slightly chubby girl... not overweight.....just a little chub..... a little chub is always cute =)

am i crazy?
i must be crazy
 mthomjmark
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/5/2008 3:07:04 AM
I personally dont want to date someone that is obese; I love athletics and I'm not going to date someone who can't enjoy these things with me.

I had one woman who had really never excercised ripping on me for not wanting to date her. I told her I'm athletic; I love sports and hiking and biking. You dont. Again, yes I dont necessarily want an athlete but I want someone that I can enjoy doing things with.
 ExplosiveSheep
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/5/2008 3:34:19 AM
I ain't even athletic but I've started taggin up the gym a lot recently, I don't think I could date someone who doesn't bother with doing some kind of exercise, it's hard to live a healthier lifestyle when you have a major influence in it that detracts from it.

It's also come to my attention that women, as much as men, (1 study said more because women actually were proved to have a larger fixation on male bodies than men have on women's' go figure eh?) are just generally attracted to physically fit people more-so than overweight ones.

I mean serious athletic people do more than just look good though, they have some intense physical activity in their lives, even thin lazy people aren't going to keep up, it's not always just an appearance thing,
 *~*ChardyGirl*~*
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:16:49 AM
Im female.
Got that outta the way.

And,i cant think of anything worse that dating someone who's into running,biking,jogging,hiking,& ALL those healthy,outdoorsy pursuits ...!!
How bloody boring -- go with a mate.
So,i dont go for them & mercifully,they dont go for me....
Its all good.....

~Kyn~
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/5/2008 6:19:24 AM
And,i cant think of anything worse that dating someone who's into running,biking,jogging,hiking,& ALL those healthy,outdoorsy pursuits ...!!
How bloody boring -- go with a mate.

Say it like ya mean it strawbs!!

Ditto my friend. Bloody oath.

Occasionally is one thing...but sheesh...all the fricken time? Count me out.
 OldSchoolKevin
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:08:17 AM
When I say athletic in my description it takes on double meaning. I have an athletic body and use it that way too. I really don't think that very many, if any, overweight women are going to interact with me in the activities I enjoy: Basketball, Rock Climbing, Racing Sailboats, Expert Skiing.

So I look no further than thin, average (thats a whole other can of worms) and curvy (a smaller can of worm) in addition to Athletic. It doesn't take much more than looking at a woman's interests to see if she is up to much physical activity, "walking by the river" just doesn't cut it. I know I limit myself by being so selective but I'm not going to let a relationship pull me over into the sloooow lane.

Something I have noticed is that there are some women more my age who prefer younger men, I wonder if its because so many men of there own age range have, just like so many women, let themselves "go". I know I tend to look more for a younger female since it improves the odds she can partake in my activities and me in her's if the activities involve some get up and go.

Anybody want to go some one on one?
 secret_agent_thing
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:10:20 AM
I really depends on the guy, guys like different things so theres no real standard to follow. My own opinion about the body type I'm looking for in a girl is that she shouldn't be bigger (ie wider) than me. So that way if I let myself go and chunk up to 350, I shouldn't be expecting a marathon runner to want to date me. Conversely if were to get back in the shape I was out of high school, I believe the girl should keep herself in at least similar shape. Hope that makes sense.
 usertaken
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:52:32 AM
Erm that seems to be a question that needs answering !
Many a time i open up an IM and once i say i like bodybuilding *BAM* im window closes........... when im not peeved off with that ill message them and ask why......and be told you wouldn't like me obviously.

Here is an excerpt from a site about said problem

I call it the "room scan theory." Think about it. You walk into a room(or in this case click my matches)with a bunch of people in it — a bar, a party, an office, a gym, whatever. You scan the room, right? And during that natural scanning process, you spot members of the opposite sex and evaluate them at the speed of light.

You immediately categorize them. Some you glance at for half a second and disregard. They're not pretty, they're fat, they're plain, they just don't get your loins jumpin'. Your eyes pass them by like they're not even there. Others catch your eye and you pause to look at them. They're good looking and/or have good bodies.

Well, women do this just as much as men do. And the poor guy, because of his flabby body, just gets looked right over. While personality and intelligence and goals and core beliefs and all that good stuff really does matter to females, they don't give him a chance to display these qualities because he's fat. Sad, but true. Men do the same thing to women.

Sure, a chubby guy or gal can still meet someone and have a great relationship, but their odds are poor compared to the non-fat person. It's much tougher for them because they just get missed in the room scan.

Ugly folks get overlooked too, but again, an ugly mug on a killer bod certainly improves the chances of getting noticed or getting that foot in the door. After all, a bone-skinny person, while not ideally attractive in the physique department, is a better choice to most people than a fat person. Fat, quite simply, is the deal breaker.

Look i know im more than likely going to get flamed BADLY, but get beyond the indignation and see that this is true for EVERYONE, which leads onto the question again.
On POF overweight people stand a better chance because of the whole not posting a pic etc etc so a person can get to like that girls PERSONALITY and hopefully see beyond the size issues BUT if your talking about a pub/club then im sorry but women do this as much as men do...... its natural selection at work without you knowing it.
 Uncle_Enrico
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:59:19 AM
When I was 60 pounds heavier, I was only attracted to the "thin." Now that I'm "thin," I find those zaftig women alluring. Opposites?
 jimtash71
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:05:08 AM
I've lost a lot of weight as well. I'm looking for someone who's active and usually plus size women don't fit the bill. Not saying that women like that aren't attractive, they just don't share the same interests as me.
 The Analogue Kid
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:18:25 AM
NO....no they do not....as we grow older...men start to realize that the only endearing quality about a woman is her character....hard bodies do NOT always translate into wicked chemistry....and the energies required for wicked chemistry run WAY deeper than the skin.....

Reasoning out why an "athletic" man won't like you seems like you're giving yourself excuses because you're really not happy with yourself....if shedding a few pounds will give you a boost of confidence....commit to that goal dammit....and working out, if done properly, REALLY FEELS GOOD! Next best thing to sex....REALLY....

Attraction is 90% in the face...the fire in your eyes....
Though I must admit...if a woman is increadibly LARGE....sex just won't work...it's all unconscious and really there's not much you can do about it....

For people like you describe, fitness is a lifestyle and you are the antithesis of that lifestyle.

Realize that SOME people aren't defined by fitness...I'd rather date a bigger girl with an appreciation for my music...than a hard body that listens to f*ckin' top 40 garbage simply cuz she "likes the damn beat" ....gimmie a f*ckin' break....heheheheeeee
 Just_Jay79
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:49:06 AM
OP it's simply comes down to personal preference.

I have some male buddies that are lean football players and are dating girls easily 30lbs overweight, and then I have ones that won't date anyone that can't fit into a 24" waist pair of jeans...

In my case, yes I am one of those athletic guys that will only date athletic/slender women; part due to personal aesthetic sexual attraction, but mostly due to the fact I lead a VERY active lifestyle (I train 5 times a week, walk everywhere, carry everything, and love to do extra physical activities for fun)... Not to judge, but I need a partner that can keep up with me when I run outside to play...

I have spent the last decade of m life dedicated to personal training and physical fitness, to the point it's not my hobby, it's my LIFESTYLE. Someone who doesn't live that lifestyle simply wouldn't get it or my "obsession" with it (hence past arguments with exes...)

In your case OP, don't let it discourage you from messaging people, there is no harm in asking, and each person has different tastes! Good luck!
 usertaken
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 8:54:29 AM
*2 what the above guy said much simpler than what i said !
GOtta LOVE the arguments about going to the gym 5 days a week
 celts123
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:23:09 AM
IMO that is true in many cases. But not all. There are some athletic men who date women from various body types or primarily date chubby and fat women because that is what they are attracted to.
 Anazdaddy
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:24:29 AM
Well for the most part yes. Birds of a feather flock together. It is somewhat shallow, but I think really 'athletic' people are a different breed. It's more than just a body type, but a lifestyle which involves almost all other aspects of their daily lives. A lot of people are in 'good shape' but may consider themselves slim, average, or big. When someone specifically labels his or herself as 'athletic', they are not just describing a body type, but the whole life that got them that way. Furthermore, some people DO have athletic bodies but chose not to label themselves as such, since that is not a large part of their personalities. Is it shallow if a body builder won't go out with a bbw? Sure, I think it is. But we live in a time where we have allowed ourselves to hand pick and select partners based on any criteria we chose, regardless of how shallow. I also think it is shallow when a bigger woman won't look at an average guy or big guy and only goes for athletic type men. It's shallow, but her preference. Can't win, can't lose. Just the way our society is.
 Nightwing66
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/5/2008 9:37:35 AM
Another instance where the 'body type' categories don't really cover it all.....I can't claim Thin because of muscle mass, yet looking around I'm nowhere near 'average' for 40+ males in my area.....& tho I don't compete in sports anymore (other than sailing), 'athletic' was the closest discriptor.

I'd chose 'fit' if they had that category......& use that term in my profile to describe my preferred type in a mate; most ladies seem savvy enough to realize that I'm probably not actively looking for other body types. Certainly wouldn't turn down a date w/ a great lady ONLY based on body type, tho.

As a big generalization, I'd say 'athletic' types will be less likely to be looking for a larger partner than some of the other classifications.....if that's any help.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/5/2008 1:03:59 PM
Just as women do not want to go over from "a few extra pounds" in to "BBW", men do not want to go from "athletic" to "skinny". Many of the "athletic" men I see are actually "scrawny" or "not exactly fat but most definitely not in shape, either", but I doubt those would be a popularly-chosen "body types".
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Do athletic guys look for athletic women only?