Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gladitssummer
Msg: 1
Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
if so you can at least register your wish to, like the Irish, have a referendum and a say on Britains part in Europe.

only just over 9600 votes so far, which I find pathetic (although there is no guarantee a vote will have any impact whatsoever) but I wish those who felt strongly about democracy would register their opinion, I have.
it is after all nothing less than the Govt said we WOULD HAVE before they renaged on the deal

you can do so here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/LTPD07/#detail
 HEALING WITH THE ANGELS
Msg: 2
Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:37:05 AM
The useless coward blair an brown are scared witless of listening to mere mortals,
theyve rode roughshod for 11 years,promised us this an that,an nothing if there so convinced that they would win,give us the referendum they promised an listen as we all say A BIG NO,an get out of europe an send there scounging immigrants home.
 yipeekiya
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/14/2008 7:24:38 AM
got mixed feelings on this. we vote these people in to make decisions on our behalf and you can't run things by commitee someone has to make the final call. but it does depend on whats in this treaty, as always each side picks out what is best for them so it is hard to say. the way things are going there will be a united states of europe but not sure if its a good idea or not. in the short term it will be hard for all the countries to think of the whole state rather than their own countries.
 angeldelight19
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/14/2008 7:44:08 AM
I jut signed the petition.....easy peasy, I think all English people should be able to have a say on this, I really think we need to do something about the way we seem to be bullied by the European Parliment on just about everything, the size and shape of our fruit and veg.... ridiculous

Macforty
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/14/2008 8:08:09 AM
Yes I would like a say about the country of where I reside.

Fair play to the Irish after much duping and public manipulation by media and governments alike they saw sense and returned a "no" vote.
The Lisbon treaty would make it a tiny, powerless minion under the European Union dominated by French and German bureaucrats and the fighting Irish have seen through this !!

The European Union is supposed to allow economic cooperation, but if you look around the edges, they have courts that are literally changing local money (and banking), local laws and customs. One especially absurd example of this is a recent bureaucratic edict against bagpipes: because they are too loud and can harm ears.
I know where my votes going !!!
 Labdien!
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/14/2008 9:17:38 AM
One especially absurd example of this is a recent bureaucratic edict against bagpipes: because they are too loud and can harm ears

Yep, you're absolutely right, it is absurd...... along with the other couple of hundred "Euromyths" we have been presented with by our wonderful tabloid press over the past 20 or so years. Why do people believe them??

... the EU ... has decreed that condom dimensions should be harmonised across the Continent

...Bananas must not be excessively curved.

...The Royal Artillery is being forced to test ‘quieter’ cannon rounds in case its 21-gun salutes breach EU noise regulations

...New bus safety rules could ban double-decker buses from Britain's streets altogether.

...Britain's A-levels and university degrees could be axed in an EU plan to harmonise schools and teaching

...Circus performers must walk the tightrope in hard hats

etc etc etc.............

They are all total and utter balderdash with not a sou of truth in them.

Check out http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press/euromyths/index_en.htm if you want a laugh.

I'm very happy to be European and would vote YES!!! Purely because I don't get taken in by all the lies we are told about the EU.

Oh yes........ and the fact that I have a business in Latvia has a bit to do with it as well. lol
 cailin beag
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/14/2008 9:51:54 AM

Fair play to the Irish after much duping and public manipulation by media and governments alike they saw sense and returned a "no" vote.
The Lisbon treaty would make it a tiny, powerless minion under the European Union dominated by French and German bureaucrats and the fighting Irish have seen through this !!

Apparantely there was only a 40% turnout at the polls on Thursday. I was one of the 60% who didnt vote, reason being, i hadn't a feckin clue what the Lisbon Treaty was all about.
The government were supposed to send out a booklet to every household in The Republic, clearly explaining what a Yes and No vote would mean for this country.
I received my booklet the day before we went to the Polls, and to say i couldnt make heads nor tails of it is an understatement.

I was not going to vote on something i didnt know anything about, and its obvious i shared this view with 60% of the country.
IMO we've gone along with what the Government say or do for too long.
 gladitssummer
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/14/2008 9:59:26 AM
"The government were supposed to send out a booklet to every household in The Republic, clearly explaining what a Yes and No vote would mean for this country.
I received my booklet the day before we went to the Polls, and to say i couldnt make heads nor tails of it is an understatement. "

a cunning plan which probably contributed to 60% not voting but it obviously wasnt enough. plenty of people are determined to vote no merely because of the contempt govts are treating them with
 Fletton1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 11:29:23 AM
And how many people would have read it and then how many less would have understood it?
I really can't make my mind up if I want to vote yes or no anyway, so like Cailin (sp?) I would probably not vote.
 Macforty
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:07:10 PM

Apparantely there was only a 40% turnout at the polls on Thursday. I was one of the 60% who didnt vote, reason being, i hadn't a feckin clue what the Lisbon Treaty was all about.

Ignorance is bliss.....must have been the luck of the Irish !!

Flashgeorge
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:17:40 PM
Wow, so this is pretty much like any other vote the government wants to try & sweep under the carpet so nobody know's about it.

How many people in this country are aware about the 35 counts against George Bush of impending impeachment? & if he is what about the knock on implications of that smarmy little shit Tony Blair?

The Labour government was the right thing for this country when they first came to power but lets face it, anyone taking or retaining the power in this country is going to have a pretty shitty job on their hands.

I don't want to see a referendum on Europe, I believe in the sovereignty of this country & its slight independence albeit in a minority now from the rest of the European mainland.

Why???

Because I believe that it would make a unilateral government too easy if we had a single currency & that the uprising fascist dictatorship coming out of the US would be worse than what we have now.
 Robinson2
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:27:37 PM
I don't care if there is a referendum or not, I just want the politicians to be honest about "the project" and tell us what it's really about. So far I'm still in the dark. I suspect it's about stopping the USA, Russia and China from walking all over us; something we can only do together, as a group. I don't really blame the politicians for not spelling it out. It wouldn't play very well in so many ways diplomatically, but you know, if they were honest and we thought about it hard enough, we'd probably see they were right and then they could call a referendum and win it. At the moment, they are so oblique and in some ways sinister, whenever they come home with a new treaty we are all increasingly suspicious.

Some things about Europe are good: Czech girls, Mediterranean beaches, the Human Rights Act, and some things are bad (French Farmers, the Brussels gravy train, a lack of democratic legitimacy). At the moment I’d roll a dice and vote yes if the number were even, no if it were odd. Unfortunately, a lot of other people would vote according to whatever The Sun editorial said that particular day. We're all doomed.
 Flashgeorge
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/14/2008 4:51:34 PM

I don't care if there is a referendum or not, I just want the politicians to be honest about "the project" and tell us what it's really about. So far I'm still in the dark. I suspect it's about stopping the USA, Russia and China from walking all over us; something we can only do together, as a group. I don't really blame the politicians for not spelling it out. It wouldn't play very well in so many ways diplomatically, but you know, if they were honest and we thought about it hard enough, we'd probably see they were right and then they could call a referendum and win it. At the moment, they are so oblique and in some ways sinister, whenever they come home with a new treaty we are all increasingly suspicious.

Well I really like that post Robinson, depending on what research you've looked into on the whole matter.

If you consider the option of the US & the New World Order...& I can understand why some people may raise an eyebrow or s at the mention of that but....the US still even now it is virtually a financially ruined country consider itself to be the leader of the Western World....whereas I think any other country thinks...well you wanna be the leader fk it...go for it.

But like you say, anyone speaking out against the regime in the US as George Bush put it shortly after 9/11 is either with us or with the terrorists....

The whole game is not about Europe any more as we do not possess enough or significant resources to make a real difference on a global scale any more whereas the US/Middle East/Asia do.....& others will do whatever it is in their power to possess these at whatever cost.

So yeah...the US must be stopped at all costs because they will consume & consume until there is nothing left.
 SanToki
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:00:56 PM

I wish those who felt strongly about democracy would register their opinion

Give me a shout when we've got it, and then I'll take an interest.
 Robinson2
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:08:59 PM

But like you say, anyone speaking out against the regime in the US as George Bush put it shortly after 9/11 is either with us or with the terrorists....

The whole game is not about Europe any more as we do not possess enough or significant resources to make a real difference on a global scale any more whereas the US/Middle East/Asia do.....& others will do whatever it is in their power to possess these at whatever cost.

So yeah...the US must be stopped at all costs because they will consume & consume until there is nothing left.

Well, I tend to view the USA with immense respect and see the current incumbents as a temporary "blip". I'd still rather be friends with them than any other country on Earth because despite their many faults, they've saved us from enslavement and oblivion on more than one occassion. It may have been in their interests too, but that doesn't alter the fact that we owe them a debt of gratitude. But like the male spider that gets eaten by the larger female when they are done mating, they do make me a little nervous sometimes.

I'm not sure about your argument from Consumption. That in my view makes many assumptions; I'd rather be living now, with all the problems we have, than 100 years ago, like my great-grandmother who received food aid from the Church. I'm not sure I agree about us not having any resources either. Natural resources no, we're about spent with those. But intellectual resources are bountiful here and I believe they will be the currency of the future.

If I sound optimistic, it's because I'm all "catasrophied-out". I've heard so much bullshit over the years from the media about our imminent demise that I no longer pay attention to it; in fact I go out of my way to find research that contradicts it and often it's there, in black and white, without the media spin.

The Philosopher Isaiah Berlin said in an interview once that Europe was dead. Well, post second world war it was. I think Berlin has been proved wrong, but who knows how the world will look 100 years from now?
 SanToki
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:16:21 PM
it is absurd...... along with the other couple of hundred "Euromyths" we have been presented with...

decreed that condom dimensions should be harmonised across the Continent

This was put forward by a European organisation, but you're correct; it wasn't the EU.

Bananas must not be excessively curved

Regulation 2257/94
Section IV (b) Banana Sizing Tolerances
"satisfying the sizing characteristics, up to a limit of 1cm for the minimum length of 14cm."

Excessively curved bananas are not banned, but - as with Cucumbers - they have to be classified differently.

They are all total and utter balderdash with not a soul of truth in them.

A lot of "myths" come about specifically because they are grounded in reality in some way...

Robinson2
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:35:39 PM

A lot of "myths" come about specifically because they are grounded in reality in some way...

Even so, I wouldn't say that the EU has a monopoly on silly regulations. I bet if you trawled through UK regulations you'd find some pretty daft things there.
 Miss Grundy
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/14/2008 5:53:28 PM

Ignorance is bliss.....must have been the luck of the Irish !!

haha..I never even recieved my polling card at all - there was something afoot there..very dodgy goings on. I could have run up to the polling booth with my passport but didn't manage to find it in time ...I'm just so glad the vote was a big fat NO !!

We're not the only EU country who could not make head nor tail of the Lisbon Treaty and as has been said, thankfully the majority refused to be 'bullied' into voting yes.

It was quite funny listening to the analysis by journalists and politicians last night re why the Irish voted no...so far, by all accounts ..the EU commission are going to look further in to the disquietude of the fighting Irish..and will attempt to discover the issues our nation has proved to have with the ridiculous nonsensicalness which is what the lisbon treaty is.

It's all so super complex. I think it's great that we've refused to ratify the treaty and I'm loving the fact that the EU commission is feeling so under threat right now - more power to the people !!

The UK should definitely join the ranks of the discerning and refuse to be intimidated into voting for something they have qualms about. Our prime minister is making a big song and dance about the fact he's so dissappointed that his new role has been unsuccessful in returning a yes vote (drama queen)...one of my local TD's boasted about having secured a majority yes vote in her constituency (where I live is full of sinn fein supporters so maybe she should feel good but still...)- I used to like her once but now I see her as being majorly arrogant and up her own bum.

It's hardly a democracy if you refuse to try and empathise (at least) with the dissidents and try to .....help them see what's good for them, if you believe you do know whats best for us all, but that is the issue..for all the questions asked and the multiple debates..no good, satisfactory answers have been forthcoming.

The run up to the vote for the Lisbon treaty here..and the battle to gain the yes or no vote was nick-named the war of the soundbites - very orwellian indeed.
 Flashgeorge
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/14/2008 6:04:40 PM

Well, I tend to view the USA with immense respect and see the current incumbents as a temporary "blip". I'd still rather be friends with them than any other country on Earth because despite their many faults, they've saved us from enslavement and oblivion on more than one occassion. It may have been in their interests too, but that doesn't alter the fact that we owe them a debt of gratitude. But like the male spider that gets eaten by the larger female when they are done mating, they do make me a little nervous sometimes.

Hmm. I don't see it as a temporary blip more so a long term plan when you consider that since George H Bush was not in power til W Bush coming to be president & the goings on of the current people who are in power now. Have a look at Condalice Rice' book & the actions of Rumsfeld since that gap of power & then ask yourself is al that is happening now a complete accident. The only one out the current regime who saw what was happening (albeit too late) was Colin Powell...the patsy...& he's out on his arse in the political wilderness because he realised after it was too late what was going on.
I don't see how we owe them a debt of gratitude....give me reason as to why & I'll consider it for debate.......all I see is a country that is on its arse politically....economically & in keeping up with world peace.

If I sound optimistic, it's because I'm all "catasrophied-out". I've heard so much bullshit over the years from the media about our imminent demise that I no longer pay attention to it; in fact I go out of my way to find research that contradicts it and often it's there, in black and white, without the media spin.

What that shows is that you care but have a slight fear over what is potentiallly happeninig in the world......

Its not a bad thing mate.

I don't try to bend people's minds in any shape or form but look at how the constitution in the US has changed since 9/11 & what our own country is trying yo push forward for suspected terrorists...is it reallly right? The US can now search & then hold one of its own citizens without right to a lawyer for as long as it wants....in the name of national security.

Ask yourself why you feel nervous....is it because you want to believe what the mainstream media tells you or is it because you question what they tell you.
 Macforty
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/15/2008 2:31:15 AM
Can the Lisbon Treaty really be that good when ...........

Those that are allowed to vote are kept in the dark and dont know what they are voting for !!
(Im sure if a leaflet was put through the doors in Irealand saying the EU would be tampering with their Guinness the yes votes would have been much higher !!)

Brown did not wish us (Joe Public) to vote and was trying to get it passed through paliamentary vote hence why not many of us know exactly what the Treaty is about !!

Not all those EU countries that voted yes were given a public referendum .......the people were not allowed to vote !!

How can it be a democratic vote when all they want you to say is "YES" !!

Surely if Ireland has voted NO they mean NO ,so why does Europe keep having referendums until it gets a yes vote ?? Europe Bullying..........possibly a sign of things to come ?

Imo We have now seen first hand the EU goverments version of democracy in Europe and the levels to which they will swoop , forewarned means forearmed ......................POWER TO THE PEOPLE !!

Suil eile
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/15/2008 3:44:47 AM
Wolfie Smith Lives
I'm also glad the Irish voted no, I was talking to a work colleague about it last week and she said she couldn't understand 1 word of the leaflet, and there was no way she could vote yes for something she couldn't decipher. I wondered if they(the politicians) kept it deliberately complicated hoping deferential voters would simply keep to the party line and go along with the yes. Great that it backfired anyway.
 SanToki
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2008 4:25:33 AM

Even so, I wouldn't say that the EU has a monopoly on silly regulations. I bet if you trawled through UK regulations you'd find some pretty daft things there.

Oh absolutely, but it's a bit moot considering that we're not actually allowed to make our own laws anymore (we handed that power over to the EU), so laughing at new edicts that they come up with is all we're left with.

Who cares whether they're actually true or not, they make a mockery of the EU.
That's all that matters

socialjustice
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/15/2008 4:30:36 AM
yes - no - oh bugger

Charliedontsurf
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/15/2008 6:24:48 AM
While the Ulster unionist's are condeming us to 42 days without charge the Irish people are freeing us from the Lisbon treaty. Lol....

Glad so much and so many were sacrificed to keep Northern Ireland British!

(I am painfully aware politicans dont necessarily always represent the people before I get any hatemail from the people in N.I!)
 Labdien!
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/15/2008 7:11:42 AM

A lot of myths come about because people are stupid enough to believe what is written in the tabloids....

Bananas are classified according to quality and size for international trade. Individual governments and the industry have in the past had their own standards with the latter's, in particular, being very stringent. The European Commission was asked by national agriculture ministers and the industry to draft legislation in this area. Following extensive consultation with the industry, the proposed quality standards were adopted by national ministers in Council in 1994.

"satisfying the sizing characteristics, up to a limit of 1cm for the minimum length of 14cm."

Nothing at all to do with curves! This refers to the minimum length of a banana which should be 14cm. In the tolerances allowed, up to 10% of a shipment can be up to 1cm less than the standard required.

Who the hell measures the things I have no idea!!

So yes, we have quality standards which must be adhered to, I don't have any problem with that at all.

Anyway, I'm bored with bananas now...........

As a last point why did you change the word 'sou' to 'soul'? 'Sou' is a word meaning 'of little or no value'!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Do you want to have your say on a referendum on Europe?