Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Anybody else on PoF into meditation?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gregorywb
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Anybody else on PoF into meditation?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I do guided imagery meditation and concentrative meditation on a daily basis. A lot of people tell me I am wasting my time, but I don't think so. It really helps keep my mind calm and I can definitely notice a difference in my responses and response-time to things throughout the day when I have not done it that morning. If anyone is interested in the guided imagery meditation Belleruth Naparstek has some really good ones (NOT a plug I don't gain anything from recommending her CDs, they're just the ones I use).

Does anybody else here do any sort of meditation? I don't know much about it, especially when it comes to eastern practices and traditional zen whatever, I was just introduced to the way I do it by my therapist and it has worked well for me.
 SpiceyCougar
Msg: 2
Anybody else on PoF into meditation?
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:55:29 AM
Hi

Yes, I also meditate on a adaily basis. I have also written guided meditations for my group. I am Pagan. So is my group. I have actually started having them meet for Meditation in the Park every other Sunday.

I have been meditating since 1996. Some serious meditation... other had kinda been slacking :P

However, since I have been in the gym and working out consistantly, I have started to go deeper into my meditations. The repitition of the reps or yoga stretches will send my head into that deep state faster than anything it seems.

Meditation is something very difficult for anyone in the Western cultures to get into simply because we are so used to everything happening right now. The thought of sitting down and doing absolutley nothing for just five minutes drives people mad. Let alone actually doing it!

Thanks for the post. I am interested in seeing what others have to say.
 SpiceyCougar
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/18/2008 7:58:39 AM
P.S. I forgot to ad the effects of Meditation for me. I find when I am Meditating often/daily, my whole day seems to fit together and move smoothly. Like the Meditation was the grease for a machine. My whole day could be full of chaotic activities... but I will accept them and be okay with them. Just live through them. It helps me to... just be.
 HEALING WITH THE ANGELS
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/18/2008 8:17:49 AM
I wish i could turn off to meditate, an relax,
 zentral
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 10:56:42 AM
I do walking meditation almost every day, and occasionally sitting meditation. I find it clears my mind of meaningless trivia, anxiety, frustration, etc., and puts me into a calm and focused state that persists quite awhile.
 Michaelann
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:04:19 PM
I took a free meditation calss once, & found that I was less stressed, more focused & slept better. An old acqaintence
from my hometown, who's a monk, also taught me a little about meditation. I am prone to stomache ulcers (an inherited
problem), & I find that meditation really helps. I have a "meditation corner: in my bedroom, with a little fountain, a picture
I took of the temple I used to go to in Vancouver, on 49th (between Fraser & Main) & a picture of one of my favorite water-
falls.
Posted: 6/18/2008 12:37:27 PM
I am. I do some form of meditation per week, especially at my Unity church. My minister takes a whole day a week in the silence. She follows through on the Bible idea of: "Be still and know I am God." She has asked the congreation to mediate 2 times a day for 15 minutes each time. I'm gradually getting back into it. I went to a School called the School of Metaphysics, (Out of Windyville, MO.) and that is where I really learned to meditate. I had worked up to an hour a day of doing it, by myself. I go deeper into the restfulness when in a group. On Tuesdays, I attend a healing meditation by Ozark Research Institute. Some very powerful healings have taken place.

There is Amma...who gives "hug blessings" that are very powerful. I'm sure she meditates daily.

I am hopeing the right man will show up for me on here, who meditates..so we can meditate together..and create a meditation/prayer room together in our home.

Meditation allows for rest and focused attention on the Divine. And, awareness of the Self as Divine. This makes for a calmer, happier existance here on the Earth.

Leigh
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/18/2008 1:27:43 PM
Someone once asked the Buddha skeptically, "What have you gained through meditation?"

The Buddha replied "Nothing at all."

"Then, Blessed One, what good is it?"

"Let me tell you what I LOST through meditation: sickness, anger, depression, insecurity, the burden of old age, the fear of death. That is the good of meditation, which leads to nirvana."

~ Excerpted from The Dhammapada
 Danny Sherwood
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2008 2:18:45 PM
I meditate for 20 minutes everyday. My Beta waves have started to run steady.
 Guy Named Ray
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/18/2008 3:16:16 PM
I do feeling meditation.
I pay attention to my feelings,
and when I have feelings I don't like,
I change my thinking.
 SpiceyCougar
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:14:59 PM
"I wish i could turn off to meditate, an relax"

Healing With Angels, You don't have to turn off to meditate. Actually, sometimes, Meditation can be the most turned on state a brain can be in.

Take the short time at red lights to just think of absolutely nothing. Most lights are 30 seconds... somtimes more. If you can't settle... tell yourself you are thankful for the red light. It's that simple sometimes.
 cyranodb1970
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/18/2008 5:26:59 PM
I used to meditate pretty regularly but I don't think my current space is very conducive to it right now
 SpiceyCougar
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/19/2008 7:37:46 AM

but I don't think my current space is very conducive to it right now

Humans can be pretty addaptable creatures.

From one of my favorite books, I learned that sometims one has to find peace within the chaos rather than wait till the chaos settles down or ends. When you are always waiting for the eye of the storm, you miss out on the beauty of the thunder and the lightning... the cleansing wind and rain. Sometimes the meditation is in the storm itself.
 Riniel
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/19/2008 3:34:49 PM

Someone once asked the Buddha skeptically, "What have you gained through meditation?"

The Buddha replied "Nothing at all."

"Then, Blessed One, what good is it?"

"Let me tell you what I LOST through meditation: sickness, anger, depression, insecurity, the burden of old age, the fear of death. That is the good of meditation, which leads to nirvana."

~ Excerpted from The Dhammapada

I love the Dhammapada. I've lost anger, depression, insecurity, and I've noticed that I'm generally healthier. Meditation is a huge part of my use of Reiki, and I've found that combining the two have had fantastic results for me. :-)

My reiki teacher gave me her own guided meditation cd, and it is fantastic. I'd recommend it, but it hasn't been commercially released.
 Gypsygirl29
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/19/2008 4:43:38 PM
It's been awhile but yes, under normal circumstances I do meditate. Sometimes it is just sitting in a dark room with a candle lit and soft music in the background. I find Native drums work best or African style drums since I do Shamanic Journey work. Though I haven't been successful lately - too much going on to relax for too long.
 David3634955
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2008 5:32:56 PM
When I was young, I had some kind of brain wave test, for getting a diagnosis on what I now know to be my Tourette Syndrome.

One of the interesting things they found was that my brain was almost always in a state of theta waves, which are thought widely to be most associated with meditative thinking. It makes sense, because it's always been like turning a switch for me to go between mundane and supernatural thought levels.

So basically, it's like I'm always meditating.

~ David
 sihtdaeruoynac
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/19/2008 9:06:15 PM
I practice falun gong. The sitting meditation is more difficult, we are suppose to sit in lotus or half lotus position without any pillow or cushion for back support. We have to endure some pain but after afterwards I feel more light, I used to do zen meditation but this is so much better.
 Blond Intentions
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:11:13 AM
My meditation is an art to me. It comes in ebbs ans flows only when I am inspired. Hardly the way it should be used.

Anyone have any good meditation ideas?
 sihtdaeruoynac
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:19:05 AM
Snake take a look at this site:
http://www.falundafa.org/bul/audio-video/audiovideo_video.html
 Blond Intentions
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/21/2008 6:22:59 PM
Thanks, I will do that
 Dreamingsinger
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/21/2008 7:51:45 PM
I try to do a bit of meditation each day. it doesn't always work so well for me though, but I do try. I have real trouble with focus and clearing my mind, lol.
 musi5
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/23/2008 9:26:57 PM
I meditate quite a bit...........its where i go to find my "answers"

peace
 Seavoyage
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 8:48:15 AM
Snake Charmer, I use mantras for meditation and repeat sanskrit mantras, and use a mala which is similar to a Catholic rosary, so I can count the repetitions. I like my mantra meditation practice a lot. It works better for me than other kinds of meditation.
 twin48
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/27/2008 6:54:22 PM
I don't know anything about meditation but would love to learn. Where do I go for info on this subject? twin48
 JOHN8D
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/17/2008 11:38:39 AM
twin48

My meditation i pratice is walking meditation of the Thai forest Tradition (bare foot or in shoes) . ive a facebook group here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32198542936

It still new, but has usful guides. Ive even posted the secret to peaceful walking meditation

Walking meditation is something everyone can do and its free as well as keeps you fit, there are other gains to this pratice and its not going to lead you off the path to Nirvana
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Anybody else on PoF into meditation?