Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you ever feel like your going to pass out after a workout?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 new york kid
Msg: 1
Do you ever feel like your going to pass out after a workout?Page 1 of 1    
Lately, I've had some trouble during my workouts. I feel like I'm going to pass out after a workout, but when I eat something I'm fine. I use to get dizzy a tad bit only when sitting up or standing up, not when lying flat for a bench press or sets of skullcrushers. Now I get it in both cases, but still a lot more when standing up or sitting up, esp. for military press. There was definitely a threshold for this though. I had no problem with the military press until I crossed the 115 lb. mark and the 35 lb. per dumbbell mark for sitting shoulder press. For chest press, it's not as bad, but started once I crossed the 175 lb. mark. For squats, its anything over 150 lb. I am hypoglycemic, so I figure that might have something to do with it, as when I have a luna bar and an apple I'm better through the workout. However, I still feel slightly off later b/c any type of power bar has sugar in it. Would a south beach diet bar be suffice? Would I be able to handle splenda? Could I die from a workout? I do have low blood pressure, but not significantly low or dangerously low. The low blood pressure and hypoglycemia, which probably goes hand in hand, is the only thing my doctor found. This only effects me during lifting heavy weights. Advice would be very much appreciated.
 Trainer87
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do you ever feel like your going to pass out after a workout?
Posted: 6/21/2008 8:30:55 AM
Here are a few tips that may help you.

The problem is more than likely the hypoglycemia/blood pressure combination. However, make sure you are breathing properly during reps. Different exercises require different ways of breathing, but for the general exercise, you inhale for the eccentric movement, and exhale for the concentric, and don't skip breaths. For instance, shoulder press: exhale as you press, inhale as it is coming down.

Although certain foods have different digestion/absorption rates, the general rule is 60-90 minutes before your workout you should eat. Do not wait longer than 90 minutes though, or it won't do you much good. I would eat closer to the 60 minutes. Don't completely stuff yourself, but eat some whole grain carbs such as whole oatmeal, brown rice, etc.

Although I don't recommend trying to make this a habit because of the high fructose corn syrup and large amounts of sugar, you can carry a gatorade with you throughout your workout. Take NO MORE than a couple sips every 10-15 minutes if you begin to feel a bit light-headed. One gatorade should last you more than just one workout. Pedia-lyte works better, but gatorade will do just fine.

Directly after your workout, try having a low carb/sugar-free protein shake along with a small amount of fruit such as an apple, peach, or berries. (etc)
Insulin is spiked much more easily after a workout, so you might even want to eat a smaller portion of fruit. Go with how you are feeling, you know your own body better than anyone. Wait at least one full hour after that before eating your next meal.

Make sure you are fully hydrated throughout the day. Dehydration can also cause this problem.

If you follow these guidelines, I couldn't imagine you getting dizzy, although heavy enough weights can have that effect on anyone if their body isn't ready for it.

As for your splenda question, there is no reason I can think of that would make you unable to handle it.
 sihtdaeruoynac
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/21/2008 8:59:22 AM
Try eating fruits like bananas, anything that has pretty high carbs. Best to eat an hour before workout. If I was you I would make a habit eating every 2 to 3 hours, 5 to 6 times a day. You can also try non process coconut oil it gives you the extra energy. Splenda is toxic sugar not good at all if you want to consume sugar try eating fruits or stevia.
 _Yeehaw_
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:27:08 AM
The doctor answered your question. Low blood sugar and falling blood pressure go hand in hand. In fact it is even a common withdrawal symptom for some mild addictions like caffeine, nicotine, sugar.

I would consider some energy type drink to sip slowly during your workout. NOT the energy drinks on TV or any other such crap. Look into creating your own or check what other hypos do or just ask your doctor again. You don't want to overload here, just maintain a consistent state. I am not hypo, so I don't know ... maybe diluted apple/orange juice with a little protein powder (whey) to slow uptake.

Be careful, passing out can happen. Make sure you using exercise equipment with fail safes in case it happens. I would recommend machines and cable exercises. Squats with free weights are especially risky as it drives up blood pressure to feed the muscles/heart but at the same time hypo drops the blood pressure ... completely losing energy is a real possibility. There are safe squat machines available in gyms of course.

ANYWAY, what you describing is your body failing to maintain sufficient blood pressure, which is related to rate of flow, to supply muscles when under load. It isn't necessary to compare exercise type/weight ... it's just physics now.

One thing you can do is reduce impact load. A lot of people using weighs use too much weight. If you use less weight and slow down the exercise you will get the same benefit. Yes, I know, a lot of people say that's wrong ... but it's physics, simply physics. The benefit of excess weight lies in maximizing benefit attained but most people use too much weight putting them well past the diminishing return point. Wasted effort ... a brute force approach .. using a sledge hammer to hand a picture type thing.

I'll state that a little differently. During a chest press, overcoming inertia requires great effort but maintaining applied force requires less effort. The muscles are worked during the "less effort" phase. The initial force is wasted effort. The most beneficial exercise, best point of diminishing returns, is a consistent force applied through out. Slow steady static force. Some people mess up this part by forcing too much range of motion into an exercise. For really good range of motion exercises, cable work is always best. You can see this problem really easy when some people during chest presses are arching their back to get the weight up. They are using too much weight ... too much range of motion.

Stay away from garbage like splenda.
 untamed one
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/21/2008 10:03:51 AM
yup , once I almost passed out when I graduated from ASDF to JKL; , luckily I had a spotter and an EVAC plan mapped out ahead of time ... and after 15 months , I'm up to 20 WPM :)
 Christopher93
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/21/2008 10:33:50 PM

...I feel like I'm going to pass out after a workout, but when I eat something I'm fine...

...I am hypoglycemic... when I have a luna bar and an apple I'm better through the workout...

Pretty standard pre/post workout nutrition for resistance training is to have a shake with a 2:1 ratio of carbs to proteins. If you can't have a shake made with gatorade and whey protein in water, then make a blender shake of 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup skim milk, and 1 1/2 cups frozen berries. Have one before and after your workout.

If you're still feeling woozy during your workout take a water bottle with you with a gatorade mix with twice the recommended amount of water per scoop. Down it whenever you feel the dizzies are about to strike.

I seriously doubt you'll "die" from a workout.

As for splenda, it has no calories so it won't be of any help to you in terms of increasing your blood sugar for the duration of your workout.

Hope this helps.

- Christopher93
 Christopher93
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/21/2008 10:38:05 PM

Although I don't recommend trying to make this a habit because of the high fructose corn syrup and large amounts of sugar, you can carry a gatorade with you throughout your workout.

The HFCS can be avoided by buying gatorade powder and mixing it in water.

Using twice the amount of water per scoop creates the perfect concentration for the gatorade to go straight through the small intestine into the blood stream. Think of sipping it as your blood sugar IV drip for the duration of your workout.

I'll go so far though as to say never drink the pre-bottled gatorade, only the powder mixed in water. It's much better for you (or less worse?).

- Christopher93
 naturaldoc007
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2008 7:17:39 PM
CAlled exercised induced hypoglycemia if you are hypo worst thing is to smack a crap load of carbs with little protein post workout. Ratio should be 1:1 protein:carbs if you are going to pass out.
 Megloman
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/24/2008 8:07:37 AM
You might want to get your heart checked out. Just saying.
 Trainer87
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 9:34:33 AM

The HFCS can be avoided by buying gatorade powder and mixing it in water.

Using twice the amount of water per scoop creates the perfect concentration for the gatorade to go straight through the small intestine into the blood stream. Think of sipping it as your blood sugar IV drip for the duration of your workout.

I'll go so far though as to say never drink the pre-bottled gatorade, only the powder mixed in water. It's much better for you (or less worse?).

Nice bit of info. Never thought of the powdered. And I would prefer to use the phrase 'less worse'. Lol.
 omans009
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/24/2008 7:58:00 PM
It's your diet, couple people already answered it. You either not eating enough before you hit the gym or you not eating the right type of foods. Plus after your workout, you have to take in carbs and protein. Drinking a protein shake only would not do much good. You need to replenish your glycogen. It's recommended to a 2:1 ratio between carbs and protein, like someone already mentioned. The carbs will allow your muscles to look "full" again. Splenda is not good after a workout, you actually need sugar ... dextrose is good. So if you take 2 scoops of whey which is like 46 g, take around 80g of dextrose.
 satx78218
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2008 8:29:35 PM
"gatorade powder"

chemical, synthetic junk, a fabrication of aggressive marketing.

How about some organic, unfiltered apple juice? REAL stuff, not chemicals.
 omans009
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/24/2008 9:45:57 PM
gatorade is perfect ... your body absorbs it instantly. I never drink juice, too much sugar. Only time I eat sugar is right after my workout. Rest of the day if i want sugar, it's sweetners.
 Christopher93
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/25/2008 5:40:21 PM
Fresh organic apple juice? Whatever floats your boat, guy.

Not many people feel like juicing a tub of organically grown apples before their workout.
 omans009
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/25/2008 7:09:59 PM
next thing i am going to hear from this guy is Steroids has killed a lot of people LOL. That topic should be interesting.

Is Steroids dangerous and causes death?

Obviously a lot are going with flow, what the media says. Lets see this 60 yr old mans response, old school.
 naturaldoc007
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 7:37:49 AM
DEXTROSE SUCKS can trigger underlying diabetes if over used I have had it happen to a few people from using large amounts of it. You can use waxy maize instead slower releasing
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you ever feel like your going to pass out after a workout?