Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > why do couples look alike?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vietprincess
Msg: 1
why do couples look alike?Page 1 of 1    
Sometimes old couples look the same and thats because they imitate each other's mannerisms, but why is it that sometimes new couples look so much alike? Is it because they're destined to be together? i recently met this guy and I'm usually more attracted to his opposite but this guy is hot and his face looks like me. I can't stop thinking about him. But at the same time he's so attractive that it makes me insecure that he may be a player although i know it's unfair to judge but can't help it. Is our similar facial traits any indication that we may be soulmates?
 holigolightly
Msg: 2
why do couples look alike?
Posted: 6/26/2008 7:55:12 PM
I read about this before...
We are attracted to faces that are more familiar: Either our parents or our own face. So you'll sometimes see that people are attracted to someone that looks like the parent of the opposite sex, or someone who resembles themselves.
Not sure how accurate, but it is an interesting theory.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:06:43 PM
OP: "But at the same time he's so attractive that it makes me insecure that he may be a player although i know it's unfair to judge but can't help it. Is our similar facial traits any indication that we may be soulmates?"

So OP, if solely because he is handsome, you automatically suspect he may be a player, what should he automatically assume about you based on your appearance? hmmmm?

And no, physical looks have nothing to do with non-physical souls.

~ds~
 whenyer_strange
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:07:17 PM
Ummm... I've been told me and my iguana can look alike at times. Guess I'm destined to live with reptiles for the rest of my life. ;-) ;-)

There was a time in my life when the guys that I had the best relationships with looked very similar. I've broken that habit, and I'm actually quite happy with a better choice.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:23:50 PM
What happens in British Columbia stays in British Columbia. Wow, and all the stories I've heard were about Newfoundland and Quebec.
 jus dave
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/26/2008 8:58:17 PM
the only "soulmate" that will look like you will be in a mirror.

everything else is chance. remember also- many people look like their dogs or is it vice-versa...go figure...

peace-

dave
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Why do couples look alike?
Posted: 6/26/2008 9:30:45 PM

Why do couples look alike?
You are what you eat.

Is our similar facial traits any indication that we may be soulmates?
I think the only indication that two people might be 'soulmates' is a shared belief in such supernatural and incorporeal ideas.
 WackMC
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/26/2008 11:25:41 PM
Why? Because women dress them both, and women like everyone to look like they belong together, the same way they dress small children or twins.

Wife says wear the Hawaiian shirt and the sandals with the socks, because I'm wearing the mu-mu.
Husband just puts on what's laid out to avoid an argument.
Single girl at the bar says "Did your wife dress you?"
Guy orders a double.

Wife shows up with goofy hats. "Look what I found!"
Husband thinks "She dresses me worse than the damn dog."
The dog is also wearing a little Hawaiian shirt, but has a diamond choker.
Husband thinks "That choker should have been my Porsche." Visualizes Miami Vice until wife hits him with silly hat. "Put this on!"

Girl at bar sneaks away giggling.

Egad, is this thread over yet?
 lollipopgirl1
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/27/2008 12:19:36 AM
This is a great thread. I completely agree with the OP. I was just mentioning this to someone the other day after my sons soccer game. After watching all the parents, I noticed, you've got the tall fair, blond couple....the shaggy haired couple, the dark dreaded couple, the short stalky blond couple, the chubby dark haired couple, then there's me and my partner. The tall dark haired sexy as hell couple. There's total truth in the OPs statement.
 ThatOneDudeFromThePlace
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/27/2008 12:59:41 AM
does this mean i'm destined to be with large angry looking women?

now i'm kinda scared.
 troy_boy
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/27/2008 1:34:17 AM
neat question. true though. it has everything to do with symetry. symetry is what makes people attractive. if someones face (the first thing we sub-conciensly notice with attraction) is symetrical then they are attractive. if our own symetry is less than perfect, we seek out those that are similar because we've been hard wired by instinct to take what we can get for the purpose of passin on the genes. so we gravitate towards the best we can get because attractivness is veiwed as strong genetics. so if the best we can get is similar to ourselves then both parties will agree and the sparks fly. it's all about survival of the fittest. strong gene pools will eventually win through evolution. but chances are we wont see the world separate into separate 'good looking' and 'ugly' gene pools because we'll blow ourselves up long before evolution can run its course. that's my theory. k, i'm done now.
 Vancer
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/27/2008 1:42:13 AM
Couples look alike because of this guy.
http://www.joshuanewman.com/photos/chipgoldberg.jpg

You have to like, really turn around fast in a way that is completely random to notice he is using the powers on you and your SO.
I mean like so fast you didn't even think of turning around first.
Practice makes perfect.

Seriously, he's fast.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 10:36:54 AM
Codger....you old codger you....I read your post and LOL'd last night before I went to bed and am still laughing. Good one, man!

~ds~
 Paumanok
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/27/2008 10:41:08 AM
In some places it's because they are related even before they marry.
 musicjunky1967
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 5:45:16 PM
I was engaged to a girl and everybody said that we looked like brother and sister. I really want to know why dogs look just like the people that own them.
 Blueeyedbaldman
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/27/2008 5:55:10 PM

Is our similar facial traits any indication that we may be soulmates

I dont know OP, but if anyone ever catches me with a bald woman with a goatee, feel free to shoot me on the spot.
 cowboyblaine
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/27/2008 8:44:50 PM
and some people look like their pets too
 ~Kyn~
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/27/2008 10:56:25 PM

I read about this before...
We are attracted to faces that are more familiar: Either our parents or our own face. So you'll sometimes see that people are attracted to someone that looks like the parent of the opposite sex, or someone who resembles themselves.

^^^ Yup.
And statistically...the more you and your partner resemble each other (as in you could pass for brother & sister)...the higher your success rate in a relationship.
Do a little googling.
Its been known for a long time.
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2008 11:55:58 PM
^^^Kyn, I'm thinkin' you remind me of someone very familiar....other than I have blue eyes.....but other than that, I think we quite resemble each other....don't you? !!!

~ds~
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/28/2008 12:32:27 AM
You mean I'm stuck with a woman who has a beard! AAAgggghhhhh!!!!
 jeanmarie2
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2011 7:59:05 PM
I was just discussing this with my mother yesterday. I think her theory makes some sense - it's because the couple looks like "family" to each other. Now, if I could just find someone that has similar facial features, I guess I'd be set
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > why do couples look alike?