Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > law enforcement using pof to trap criminals?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wowsad
Msg: 1
law enforcement using pof to trap criminals?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i had a chick email me a few months ago asking if i could find her coke. she said she lived a few towns over (and here that means like 5min away). so i said yes, and told her to meet me at the laundry place in front of my house. obviously i didn't go down there or anything, but i was curious if she'd actually show up, so i watched from my window (lol, yes, i was extremely bored that night me and my friend figured it'd be funny if some cokewhore actually pulled up and wait around for a bit). instead, a dt pulled up and parked in the alley that separates the strip mall from another building 15 minutes later. she said she got there and waited for me, but i didn't show.. i never saw another car pull into the parking lot. anyways, i got an im from a girl a few hours ago asking if i "partied", and i said no, and she instantly closed the window. i dunno about the second one, because maybe she just wanted some coke, but i just thought it was kinda weird. anyone else experience anything like this? my county's police department is the highest paid in the nation, so obviously they have tons of money and time to do just about anything they want. i've heard of them trolling on myspace looking for similar activity.
 tuckerjo
Msg: 2
law enforcement using pof to trap criminals?
Posted: 7/2/2008 3:36:46 AM
No I have never heard of anything like that. Really weird actually. Police officers have way to much time on their hands if they can troll pof for hours looking for people who sell or do drugs. I don't know but it seems to be their time would be better used doing other things.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/2/2008 7:43:59 AM
This does seem to be the way a lot of crimes are committed (online, not PoF), so to me it would make sense for cops to "patrol" online--but more like on ****Book or something, seems like it would make more sense (is there a "CokeBook" out there?). But, yeah, using a free DATING website for this is strange, if it's true. Thanks for the head's up, now I won't sell my stolen art on here!

PS--Use your ankle, not the crutches. The crutches are *only* if the pain is too much, but using the ankle actually keeps the flexibility extant. (I have had approximately a jillion sprains in my life).
 slysterling
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/2/2008 8:11:39 AM
Not sure where the sprained ankle part fits in, but OP, wouldn't this border on entrapment?
 guys4theforums
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:38:30 AM
This is a dating site. I say keep the castopo out of here. Report them.
 pretty moon
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:25:18 AM
The police are using the internet more and more to get sexual predetors, so I dont think its a stretch for them to use it to find pushers......especially in a big city like New York
 slysterling
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/2/2008 12:13:45 PM
msg13: """...so I dont think its a stretch for them to use it to find pushers..."""

No, i don't think that the actual OP's statement is a stretch either (just to clear that part up). But i do still think it might border on entrapment. Looks like the court's interpretation of entrapment varies from nation to nation. I would think it would be almost a slam dunk case of entrapment if it happened in these parts:

"""The entrapment defense in the United States has evolved mainly through case law....

...There are two different forms of entrapment in Canadian law....The first type of entrapment, "random virtue testing", occurs when the police offer an individual the opportunity to commit a crime without reasonable suspicion that either that individual, or the place where that individual is located, is associated with the criminal activity under investigation.

If police do have such a reasonable suspicion, they are still limited to providing only an opportunity to commit the offence. The second form of entrapment occurs when the police go beyond merely providing an opportunity to commit an offence, and instead actually induce the commission of the offence. Some factors a court may consider when deciding whether police have induced the offence include the type of crime being investigated, whether an average person would have been induced, the persistence and number of attempts made by the police, the type of inducement used (e.g. fraud, deceit, reward), and the existence of express or implied threats.

The question of entrapment is only considered after there has been a finding of guilt. If, after finding the accused guilty, the court determines that the accused was entrapped, the court will enter a judicial stay of proceedings. In effect, this is similar to an acquittal...."""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment
 Byrd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 3:08:19 PM
There's an few cop threads on here and I know they don't like people to talk shit about them sometimes they will try to intimadate you on my
'Viewed Me" there's a Santa Barbara cop I thought he was gay and he was looking for some old hershey highway to travel down until I clicked on his picture and saw him I probably know him it's been awhile since I've been in trouble..I don't know if they make it a point to get criminals on here but I would not put it past them..Every month there are a few exployer undercover cops out on the street where I live to try and trick the poor white trash like myself to break the law and this ugly old fu**er comes to my door" Sell me a bag of pot" he says..I know he was a friend of the fuzz I didn't know the guy..They should have sent a whore not a coke whore because I don't go there just send me a nice old ho guys and you might get me... What happened to you was some type of set up don't screw around..
 TradurGurl
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:13:15 PM
I don't know about POF, but I do know about criminals on another site trying to get a friend of mine involved in a crime of their own:

A guy e-mailed her, saying he liked her pic. Then he said that he was from her town, but vacationing in Vegas, He said he needed "his" credit card very badly. He wanted her to go over to his "unoccupied" house and get "his" credit card off "his" dresser and fed ex it to him. (?????????????)

Sounds kinda fishy, doncha think?

Nordic33708
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:14:50 PM
I seriously doubt that the police would have so much time on their hands that they would pick a random person on a dating site and ask and hope he was a drug dealer. That would be an awfully inefficient way to use the few resources they have.

You've heard of them trolling other places...well there will always be rumours like that going around.

I think they have enough to do trying to carry out intelligence on the known drug dealers rather than spend time trying to find new ones.
 yna6
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/2/2008 4:50:10 PM
"Do you use drugs"? Remember THAT question on your profile? Simple enough to sirt out those who do, and those who don't. Also simple enough to sort out the "occasional" user from the heavy partiers. And, if they are in YOUR area of law enforcment, easy enough to "invite" them to "party" or "sell" and get them off the street. Cops simply doing their jobs in a sophisticated and targetted manner.

The only people actually disagreeing with this are who? Oh, yeah...the ones who DO use. LOL!
 rickau
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2008 8:54:51 PM
Not the first time I've read of police using forums, dating sites, etc to weed out criminals. Now that I think about it over at offtopic.com there's been quite a number of arrests based on what people have posted, both content wise and about their real life activities.... *shrug*
 TheReason_
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:00:45 PM
In New York, I think they are too busy pumping 50 rounds into innocent people, to be worrying about setting up people for a simple coke bust. No bullets are going to fly with that one.

wowsad
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/2/2008 9:35:43 PM
thats nypd... i live in suffolk county, long island.
 im_literit
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/2/2008 11:59:01 PM
Totally.

They access MySpace and FB all the time. Think about it from their perspective: lots of young people making plans to meet up. Sorta like high school or 7-11. All it takes is one officer online to get it happening.

If I was a cop, I'd do it - it's not entrapment.
 guys4theforums
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/3/2008 10:38:17 AM
The Castopho is everywhere and they get a rush out of messing peoples lives while the drug dealers go about their business. The working man can not even drink a beer ofter work without getting pulled over and arrested. I have a handful of customers thats just dealing with this. It's not the working people stoping for a couple beers after work thats getting into accidents. but it's the working people thats paying.
My one customer said he could hear them after they put in in the cell laughing saying ""ha ha we finally got him""
I'm sure some people are afraid to post in here for fear of the cops seeing their faces. Who feels good about driving down the road being totally within the law and feels comfortable having a cop pull up behind you. Even the most innocent law abiding people feel fear. There's not a whole lot of freedom in America anymore. Good example of this is the new one they passed in Iowa. Can't smoke in a bar. Bars and smoking just go together. We all might live to see the day that you have to buy a permit to smoke in your own house.
These new smoking laws don't really effect me but they do people thats everyday smokers. Doesn't bother me if someone lights up next to me. As long as they don't blow their smoke in my eyes.
 Nordic33708
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/3/2008 11:25:25 AM

There's not a whole lot of freedom in America anymore. Good example of this is the new one they passed in Iowa. Can't smoke in a bar.
I agree, there is not a whole lot of freedom when a person who is deliberately ruining his own health is prohibited to impose the same on others. What are they thinking?

That is a good example of creating freedom rather than repressing it.
If you choose to smoke, it's your right but it's my right to ask not to have to be subjected to it. It's different if I go to your home but a bar is a public place.

These new smoking laws don't really effect me but they do people thats everyday smokers.
And about time it is that THEY are prohibited to spread it in a locale that should be a place for all people and not only people who don't care if their health is affected or not.

Doesn't bother me if someone lights up next to me.
It bothers me and a bunch of others as well. So I think it's a good thing and opens it up for people like me to enjoy my time at a bar rather than avoid going there.

Bars and smoking just go together.
False appeal to popularity. Just because something is a certain way doesn't make it right. We evolve as people and as a society and when that occurs, some things have to be adjusted to mirror that evolution.

Back on Topic.

Cops get on myspace creating a 16 year old kids profile to find out where all the kids are having their beer parties out.
If that is true, more power to them. If they can prevent a party where some kids might die from alcohol poisioning and a young girl being raped because she gets to drunk, I want to sign up and help out.

Seems like no one can have any fun anymore.
I take that as your definition of fun is getting obnoxiously drunk and disrespect yourself. Fun can be had without getting pissed and passed out.

Everythings against the law.
Not everything. Hasty generalisation. Things that are deemed not good for us or actions carried out by us and thus jeopardising another persons well being, privacy, expectancy of comfort and sometimes life, are against the law.
Granted some laws are unjust but the bulk of them are there to protect mankind from himself. And clearly it's needed since so many people are incapable of seeing the hurt and discomfort they inflict on others.
 wowsad
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/5/2008 4:02:10 AM

That is a good example of creating freedom rather than repressing it.
If you choose to smoke, it's your right but it's my right to ask not to have to be subjected to it. It's different if I go to your home but a bar is a public place.

a bar is a private establishment, not a public place. a public place is a park, a government building, a city parking lot, etc... a bar, on the other hand, is a private establishment that can impose rules that are, and aren't laws. some bars only alow 23 and over, others 21 and over, and even others 18 and up with id bracelets for people 21 and up. it is YOUR choice to enter the bar, and it is YOUR choice not to. if there was such a high demand for smoke-free bars, then they would have already existed. surprisingly though, it just wasn't something that needed consideration because people came regardless. i bartended for a few years in a town that had 55 bars per square mile. it has one of the highest bars per square mile of any place in america. when the smoking ban came into effect, every bar lost roughly 80% of their customers the first week afterward. slowly, the bars that had outdoor smoking lounges started seeing higher traffic, and the bars that didn't lost business, and many closed. this shows that not only do smoking laws effect smoking, but people will actually gravitate towards places that go out of their way to allow it. while you may want to think its your right to expect a private establishment to bend to your wishes, in reality, it should be up to them.

my dad owned a diner, and a year before the smoking ban, in the town where i worked and his diner was, they changed the laws for restaurants that had smoking sections, and required a new type of ventilation system. it cost the him 55k to install. a year later, the smoking section itself was null and void because of the smoking ban. do you think he got a refund? they were paying it off for 4 years. is this fair? is this the way the country should work? laws change one year, and then change the next, only costing the businesses that are required to change their equipment to pay out of their pocket for no reason?

And about time it is that THEY are prohibited to spread it in a locale that should be a place for all people and not only people who don't care if their health is affected or not.

again, it's a bar. it's not an airport, and it's not a mall. it's a place where you have the choice of going to for nothing but luxury. nobody goes to a bar because they HAVE to, they go there because they WANT to. if enough people WANTED to go to a smoke free bar, the bars would already exist. the market would have created a demand, and store owners would create an establishment for said market. since i have never seen a smoke free bar, obviously that demand was never met, which is exactly WHY there was a law created. the laws was created because they were protecting us from ourselves, because the government decided that we couldn't make choices for ourselves. the end result however wasn't fewer people smoking at bars, but instead, bars that had outdoor areas for smoking becoming overcrowded, and what happens next? people start complaining because they can't go into the outdoor area of a bar because it is filled with smoke?

False appeal to popularity. Just because something is a certain way doesn't make it right. We evolve as people and as a society and when that occurs, some things have to be adjusted to mirror that evolution.

Back on Topic.

again, if people actually WANTED a smoke free situation to drink in, it would have existed. obviously that was not the case. there is no "right" and "wrong", just merely "market" and "demand". neither existed. they still don't. the only difference is, the government has decided instead of the market. you can't just assume that the market existed merely because the law has been changed to create such a situation. if anything, the money being spent in bars, the amount of time people spend in bars, and the bars that people go to would prove otherwise. like i said, in my town, where i bartend, and where i grew up, the bars that have outdoor venues for smoking are the bars that make the most money. the bars that don't, due to their situation with their property, or zoning, simply don't make money. many have closed. before the ban, it was a thriving business. while you might be against the alcohol trade, and you might be against the act of drinking, the fact remains that people are out of work, and store owners have closed up shop specifically because they are not able to compete with the demand for outdoor smoking sections. if you don't believe me, look it up. do some research. it's completely retarded for you to sit here and say that its the nonsmoker's right to not breath in smoke, as if the person is completely unable to not enter a bar. it's their choice. it's your choice to not go to that bar, and if the demand was high enough, people who were unwilling to breathe in second hand smoke would have a place to drink.

I take that as your definition of fun is getting obnoxiously drunk and disrespect yourself. Fun can be had without getting pissed and passed out.

she/he was talking about smoking, not drinking. insinuating that this person is a drunk is just a ploy to further your own opinion. discrediting somebody just because they don't agree with you won't get you very far with anybody who has studied elementary logic.

Not everything. Hasty generalisation. Things that are deemed not good for us or actions carried out by us and thus jeopardising another persons well being, privacy, expectancy of comfort and sometimes life, are against the law.
Granted some laws are unjust but the bulk of them are there to protect mankind from himself. And clearly it's needed since so many people are incapable of seeing the hurt and discomfort they inflict on others.

its funny that you mention "hasty generalization". though, you spelled it wrong. "hasty generalization" is specifically a fallacy where you draw a conclusion from an atypical sample. through your arguments, you have used many fallacies to get your point across. the one thing that you have forgotten to mention is the nonsmoker's right to not inhale exhaled smoke, by not entering an establishment that allows smoking. while you say that most people may be unable to protect themselves from situations that will harm others, you forget to mention that people are also apparently unable to protect themselves from entering a situation that will harm themselves. this is not a place for the law, this is a place for the citizen to take responsibility for themselves, and if they really feel as though second hand smoke is harmful, they really shouldn't be putting themselves at the cherry-end of a cigarette. nobody is telling the nonsmokers to enter bars, and nobody is saying that it is mandatory for them to be there. even the workers...there are smoke shops that specifically allow people to smoke cigars in their shop. should the employees complain because they have to breathe in the smoke? or should the employee consider the fact that they will be breathing in smoke before they even apply. it's not like these actions changed overnight, where people weren't smoking in bars, and now all of a sudden they are....on the contrary, people have been able to smoke in bars since cigarettes existed, and it has always been up to the customer to enter such a establishment. if you don't like sex, will you enter a sex shop? will you complain if you are offended by sex toys? a bar is not a supermarket, and there is absolutely no necessity to enter a bar unless you plan on drinking, no? and if so, should the bar cater to the non-drinker, even though it is a BAR? if you were in AA, and you didn't want to drink, would you complain that a bar would serve you if you were to ask for a drink? even if you told them you were in AA? it's not illegal to serve somebody who is in rehab as long as they are of age. how far are you willing to go to protect people from themselves... and at what point should people have to cope with the responsibility to protect themselves from situations that they absolutely know are harmful. how many rights do we have to lose before people are accountable for their own actions?
 wowsad
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/5/2008 4:05:46 AM
oh, and if you want to really penalize the smokers, in reality, you're penalizing society, because where do you think communities get the money for public schools? your tax dollars? what's the most highly taxed products in america....cigarettes and booze. and that money goes straight into the county budget. if everybody really did stop smoking and drinking, the public education system would instantaneously become bankrupt. of course, your property tax would just double....along with sales taxes, and every other tax. nobody stops to think about where the money comes from, they just like to blame blame blame... well, blame away, but just remember; its smokers like me that are paying the taxes that are necessary to keep this country running.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/5/2008 8:34:16 AM
While I agree that individual businesses have the right to do what they like, I wish they ethically would DO what's right. Plus, your analogy isn't quite right. I got to bars because it's a drinking place, NOT a smoking place. A better analogy would be a smoking place (I suggest calling such places "joints")--don't go if you don't like smoking. Anyway, smoking is one of the most selfish things that any humans do, not only do smokers smoke and pollute my air space with their habit, they usually strew their butts in my walking space as well. I asked one why she did that, and she said, "They have people to pick that up." Bi t ch. Perhaps the tax dollars go --not to schools as you suggest (because they don't)-- but to litter patrol and public health care for the cases of heart attack caused by PASSIVE smoking and by active smoking, and don't forget emphysema. I wouldn't mind if smoking killed only the smokers, but it doesn't. Finally, "generalisation" is how it's spelled pert near everywhere except USA.
 ils99
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/5/2008 3:29:43 PM
I'm not from the states, but I have heard of authorities like the Police force using the internet to find and track down drug dealers and criminals. And not only that, but I also heard some school principals and employers are using networking sites like Facebook to check up on their students/employees... kinda freaky and stalkerish I suppose and sorta like an invasion of privacy... But then again if you think about it, what kind of an idiot would post pictures of themselves doing drugs up on the net for the whole world to see? If they wanted to exhibit their er, "hobbies", they could at least have the brains to set their profiles to "private"...

Oh and RE to what CassaGo said, there was a recent article in the papers about how a lot of tax money is spent on drug dealers/users, like rehabilitation, money spent to clean up public places, "stay sober" programmes and the like. When I read about things like it, it just annoys me. That money could've been better spent on other things, like improving transport, infrastructure, education system, etc. ESPECIALLY the education system.
 wowsad
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/5/2008 3:56:13 PM
i love how people say the money could be "better spent", as if the government should just not make treatment available, and instead make the addicted a burden on society as a whole instead of helping them receive treatment. addiction is part of society, just as any other illness. these people aren't "doing it to themselves", and if you think that addiction is entirely up to the person, then you're completely uneducated and narrow minded. addiction is the only disease that people tend to get blamed for having, even though its deadlier than cancer.
 NoseyNeighbor
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/5/2008 4:17:26 PM
i had a chick email me a few months ago asking if i could find her coke. she said she lived a few towns over (and here that means like 5min away). so i said yes, and told her to meet me at the laundry place

What a bozo. You deserve to get caught and prosecuted.

First for saying "yes", second for setting up someone else and third for being gutless.
 wowsad
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/5/2008 6:06:23 PM
saying yes isn't a crime.
nobody else was setup, besides me, by the "girl" trying to set me up.
i don't quite know how i was gutless.

i'd love to be "caught" and prosecuted, because they had absolutely no reason to "caught" me, since i wasn't doing anything wrong. offering to sell somebody cocaine isn't a crime. actually selling it is. there's a big difference between the two.
 Chuck65201
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/6/2008 6:27:53 AM
To wowsad: Yes it is illegal to offer to sell narcotics as it is called" Intent with the intention to sell or distribute" or something like that and it is a punishable offense in almost every state by jail,fine or prison time if you have a past record.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > law enforcement using pof to trap criminals?