Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > HELP! How do i get rid of SNAKES inside my home!??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WannaCStarz
Msg: 1
HELP! How do i get rid of SNAKES inside my home!?? Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
PLEASE help, someone! Who do I call or what do i do? Two weeks ago, in my laundry room, and the kids play room, i went to move my little boys rubber snake, and it MOVED!!! it was lying on top of a table in my laundry room. I didnt even know they could climb table legs! omg. scared me to death! so i beat it to death. haha. Actually , it took one wham. It seemed lethargic. JUST NOW.....i was walking from my computer past the downstairs room (laundry) and stepped BAREFOOT right on top of another one!!!! It slithered under the couch and i dont know what to do. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shudder.
 Funny_Girl
Msg: 2
view profile
History
HELP! How do i get rid of SNAKES inside my home!??
Posted: 7/7/2008 4:38:21 AM
Holy $#@!#$&*%^%* Woman, get the kiddies and GET OUT!

Oh gosh, I'm dying a lil just reading this!

OKOK, you need to call animal control. If they can't help you, they can direct you to someone that can.

I googled:
http://www.google.com/search?q=removing+snakes+from+your+home&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Run, run, run!
 kychik33
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/7/2008 5:00:53 AM
YIKES!

Call your local police department's administration line (not the 911, of course) - they can tell you who to call for help on that issue!
 Oreally?
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 5:18:45 AM
Have you had a lot of rain in your area? Snakes tend to shy away from people unless there is a reason for them to be there i.e. high ground due to weather, or a good food source. However that does not answer you question though I would go with previous posters and call a professional if you do not know how to diffenciate between venomous and non-venomous types.
 imsophie1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 5:43:25 AM
Call Animal Control (if there is such a thing in your area) or you local police department for info on who to contact.

A dangerous snake will have a triangular (arrow head-shaped) head. A non-dangerous snake will have a narrower bullet-shaped head. A dangerous snake will have vertical slits for pupils. A non-dangerous snake will have round pupils.

I just googled "Kentucky snakes" and there is a website available to help you identify snakes in your state.
 **Tee**
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/7/2008 7:02:56 AM

A dangerous snake will have a triangular (arrow head-shaped) head. A non-dangerous snake will have a narrower bullet-shaped head. A dangerous snake will have vertical slits for pupils. A non-dangerous snake will have round pupils.

lol...nice to know, but I'll tell ya....If I was in the OP's shoes, I wouldn't be getting close enough to check out any of those characteristics.

If you've seen two already? I would make sure everyone was out of the house until you could get somebody to take care of them. If you're not familiar with snakes in the area, you won't be able to identify any of the dangerous ones...
 kelman14
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/7/2008 7:13:59 AM
Moth balls may work. I would use them around/under my house, not so much in it.

You need to go around the outside of your house and look for their entrance and close it. Also go around you the outside perimeter of you house and clean up. Cut bushes back from your home, remove all debris, etc.

Your other issue is why are they in there? You may have a rat problem, and not even know it.

HarleyKat~
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/7/2008 7:19:59 AM
OMGawd...I can tell you one thing...the day I see a snake in my house...is the day I MOVE. LOL

Seriously...that is just....EWWWW! I am freaked out on snakes...came across one while cutting and weedeating the grass, and refused to weedeat that area for a long ass time! LOL

I dunno how brave you are...whacking one to death is probably more than I could do! But you could set some traps...my local animal shelter provides them for free, though there tends to be a waiting list for such. Or you could call a pest control company...they deal with all critters.

I once thought I had a skunk IN my house, because you could not smell their odor, except when you were in the house. UGH. Turns out they had burrowed under my concrete patio and their scent was coming up the ventilation system...and it was very pricey for the critter company to remove them...a basic set up of $750, plus $250 to remove each trapped animal. Since they only practiced humane, live removal...I researched online and found out skunks HATE the smell of urine. I placed amonia soaked rags under the area and they left! Not sure what works with snakes, but my concern would definitely be that they are poisonous or make babies! YIKES! This would be my worse nightmare, practically!
 texasbaby
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 7:47:00 AM
It wouldn't matter to me what kind of snakes they are ~ if they invade my space ~ they have to die!
I agree with another poster, FIND where they are coming in and eliminate their access. It wouldn't have to be a large opening either, just a small space around pipes would be enough to allow them to enter.
I live in the country and was having a problem with mice coming inside my house until I filled every little open area I could find with this foam stuff. It comes in a spray can and expands after it's sprayed and fills the opening, then dries hard in just a few minutes.
You can also fill small holes and cracks with fine steel wool. It's cheap too, comes in a bag of about 12 pieces and mice won't chew through it. I find it in WalMart where the paint junk is.
I'm good with any critter outside, sort of live and let live, but inside my house I give no quarter! Snakes in the house OMG, one of my worst nightmares too!

tb
 rawrrrr
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 8:24:01 AM
I'm the same way, Harley! I am utterly terrified of snakes. I don't even like walking in the yard because I'm afraid I'll step on one. We were moving into a house in the country once and my husband was over there working on it before we moved in. He called me and said he walked into the downstairs bath and heard a thunk behind him. He turned around and a huge rat snake had fallen off a pipe running across the ceiling onto the ground. He asked me what he should do! OMG! First you don't call me and tell me there is a snake in our new house and second of all you kill it!!!! I took my cats over and locked them in the basement for a week before I'd move in. LOL

OP, AFTER you get the problem taken care of, get some Snake Away and sprinkle it all around the outside of your house. It will keep several types of snakes away. Do NOT do this until they are gone though or it will trap them in your house!
 kayliecat
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 8:48:51 AM
I'd get a couple of full grown alley cats as pets...

I'm actually serious. You could borrow a friend's cats for a couple of days also, just make sure the cats are known to be hunters.

I've heard over and over that snakes won't come around if you have cats. And I know as a kid our cats would kill small snakes and bring them home.

As long as you aren't talking about gigantic huge venomous snakes (or rattle snakes), of course. we don't want hurt kitties, that's for sure.

My hoome w/the ex (not there anymore) was in the country. We had a huge backyard of berries - about an acre of berries. Tons of field mice. Also 2 dogs and 4 cats. In all the years I lived there, about 5, I never saw one snake. Not even while out on hot summer days picking berries. Everyone said it's b/c of the pets... keeps the snakes away. And my cats killed mice, birds, moles, etc daily, but never brought snakes home.

So...might be worth a try.

Kaylie
 DietCoke®Guy
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/7/2008 10:45:59 AM
Samuel L. Jackson seems to be pretty good at getting rid of them.
 4realRU
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/7/2008 10:46:05 AM
As much as I adore snakes, I would not care to have any living in my house. I'd suggest that you first try to identify them. Here's a site that lists your state's snakes by the area in which you live. http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/snake_region.cfm

Don't bother with the arrow head shaped tale, many are not distinct enough for the average person to differentiate. But the eyes, yes, that is a true statement. Although it sounds like you don't wish to get close enough to see them, uh, eye to eye so to speak.

As already mentioned, they are there because a source of food exists. Getting rid of their food will help to ensure that others do not come slithering up. Keep a large area of grass around your house cut short. This will help deter other trespassers as they can be seen more easily by their enemies.

If your area does not offer animal control/capture/removal, perhaps some kind of Farm Bureau system exists that could help you out? Snake traps can be easily bought or made but getting rid of their food source is paramount.

Dogs, for whatever reason, have an inherent hatred of all snakes. Two or three will work in a pack attack mode. Taking turns to strike and bite, tossing them in the air until, well, you get the picture. Good luck.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 10:49:13 AM
Controlling Snake Problems

http://www.kentuckysnakes.org/publication.cfm

No fumigants or poisons are registered for snake control. Various home remedies, including moth balls, sulfur, lime, cayenne pepper, sticky bird repellent, coal tar and creosote, gourd vines, or musk from king snakes, have not proven effective in deterring snakes. There is a snake repellent registered for rattlesnakes and checkered garter snakes. The active ingredients are naphthalene and sulfur. Three field studies have shown it has limited effectiveness for most species. The only efficient method of discouraging snakes is to modify the environment so they find it unattractive.
Habitat Modification

You can modify the environment by removing the snake's shelter (hiding places) and its food source (rodents).

Lawns and fields that are kept clean and closely mowed are less attractive to snakes than are areas of tall grass, weeds, brush, and junk. Remove other hiding places such as old boards lying on the ground, rock and junk piles, and trash piles. Trim shrubs and bushes so limbs hang no lower than 12 inches from the ground.

Stack wood for your fireplace or stove away from your home on a rack (not on the ground) that sits at least 12 inches from the ground.

Cleaning around the yard also removes rodent (favorite snake food) habitat. Other suggestions for reducing a snake's food source include placing garbage in sealed trash cans (not bags) away from the house. If you feed pets outside, keep all dog and cat food cleaned up after each feeding and store feed so it is unavailable to rodents (steel trash can).

To summarize, remove rodents, rodent food and shelter, and all objects that create a damp, cool, dark environment preferred by snakes.
Exclusion

Snakes enter buildings in search of cool, damp, dark areas or places where rodents and insects abound. To prevent these unwanted guests from entering your home, check the foundation for cracks and openings 1/4 inch or larger. Use mortar for poured concrete, concrete block, or brick foundations. Use 1/8-inch hardware cloth or sheet metal to seal holes and cracks in wooden buildings. Seal cracks and openings around windows, doors, electrical pipes, and wiring with caulk. If you have an open septic or sump pump drain outside, cover the opening with 1/4-inch hardware cloth. Be sure to check it periodically to ensure that the wire does not interfere with drainage.

If you have young children and live in an area where poisonous snakes are common, you may want to invest in a snake-proof fence (Figure 3). Snake-proof fences are expensive to construct, so fencing an entire yard is not practical. However, you can enclose a small area where young children play.

Snake-proof fences must be constructed of 1/4-inch hardware cloth at least 36 inches wide. The lower six inches must be buried underground, and the fence should be slanted outward at a 30-degree angle. Supporting stakes need to be placed inside the fence. The fence can be made sturdier by attaching wires from the fence to the stakes. All gates must fit tightly; they should open to the inside because of the outward slope of the fence.

Be sure to keep grass and weeds around the fence mowed closely to the ground to prevent snakes from using them to crawl over the fence.
Removal from inside a Building

Occasionally homeowners will encounter a snake inside the home, usually in a basement or crawl space. Snakes are attracted to these areas by the warmth on cold days and the cool shade on hot days.

You can increase your chances of capturing a snake in the basement by placing rumpled, damp cloths covered by a dry cloth in areas where snakes have been seen. You can then remove the whole works or capture the snakes individually and remove them. If you are not afraid of snakes, the best way to remove them is to sweep them into a bucket or large garbage can with a broom. NOTE: Homeowners should exercise extreme caution when moving in a crawl space, especially if venomous snakes have been seen in the area. A face bite could be very serious, and even a face-to-face encounter with a racer or rat snake can be an unpleasant experience.

Another very effective method of capturing snakes inside a home or under porches, crawl spaces, or mobile homes is to use a glueboard. These can be purchased in a variety of places such as agriculture supply or hardware stores. Most small snakes can be captured using a single glueboard placed against a wall and away from pipes or other objects a snake could use for leverage to escape.

A more elaborate arrangement is necessary to capture larger snakes (Figure 4). This type of glue trap can be made at home with purchased glueboards. It is constructed of 1/4-inch plywood cut into 16-by-24-inch sections. Drill a 3/4-inch hole in one corner to allow removal of the board by using a hook on the end of a long stick. Fasten two to four glueboards (or use bulk glue) along one side of the plywood board. This type of trap, when placed against a wall, is capable of capturing snakes up to 5 or 6 feet long.

Glueboards should be used only indoors or under structures where children, pets, or other wildlife cannot reach them. The glue is quite messy and hard to remove. Common cooking oil or vegetable oil can be used to remove animals from the glue. Once the unwanted guests have been removed, be sure to close any holes or entrances so the snakes do not return.

Another option is to use the newly developed snake trap called Snake GuardTM. It should be used like a glueboard.

Another method of capturing snakes is to use a drift fence with a large 5-gallon bucket for the trap. Use 6-inch aluminum flashing 10 feet long for each of the wings. Dig a hole large enough to bury the bucket at ground level. Fill the bucket about one-third full with water or ethanol.

Remember, snakes are an important part of our natural world. The best approach in managing snake problems, where possible, is to leave these animals alone.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/7/2008 10:56:45 AM
Rawrrr! I LMAO on the "I locked my kitties in the basement" comment!!

As another poster said, I do believe that cats deter other little critters from coming around! My neighbor...has a severe roach problem...drives me INSANE because when they either spray, bomb or worse...once replaced flooring in their home...what do they do? Navigate to MY house! GROSS!

I am consistently spraying and using preventative measures to keep them out, but I did notice that once I adopted my two grand-kiddies...NO BUGS. Not sure if this works with dogs though, as I have always had a Husky, as well.

Makes mental note to self...BUY SOME SNAKE AWAY!
 nuttykitten
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/7/2008 11:02:23 AM
lmao.......
im sorry, i know it is not funny really.
i have nothing against snakes, but id feel uncomfertable, with them roaming my house....

i dont know what to do tho, as here in the uk, its not a problem really.

id have to call in the snake-busters!
 WindRoper
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/7/2008 11:23:24 AM
Along with mothballs, 'nest eggs' (oval or round items made of a material that is difficult to crush (by contracting snake standards) such as plastic or wood. The snake consumes the item and, when it cannot digest it, it dies. For those opposed to killing a snake, a catcher can be made using a pole (how long I guess is up to the individual). Take a length (twice as long as pole plus 1 foot) of plastic coated wire, attach to one end of pole, run it through the pole and back again leaving loop approximtely 4 inches in diameter at the other end of the pole, affix a handle (wooden stick) at the other end. You slip the loop over the snake's head and pull the handle to close the loop tight so the snake can't slip out, carry outside (and away from house) and release.
One thing about snakes gaining access to houses that I did not see in the information some of the other posters provided is that snakes can enter via sewage pipes, but I
don't know if this is limited to houses with septic systems v. public sewage systems.
 rawrrrr
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 11:31:42 AM

nakes can enter via sewage pipes, but I
don't know if this is limited to houses with septic systems v. public sewage systems.

OMG... LALALALALALLALAAAAAAAAAA I can't hear you!!!! (I'm on a septic right now. I don't think I will ever go to the bathroom in the dark again!)

I remember reading an article about a couple who found a Boa in their toilet. The wife was going to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and found it. They lived in an apt building and I guess others had seen the snake as well. They had to put a brick on the toilet lid to keep it from getting out. The next morning it was gone back down the drain. ICK!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/7/2008 11:44:16 AM
OH.....MY.....GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be discovered on the loo, with a horror movie expression, dead from a heart attack or shock, if I were to EVER find a snake in my commode or bathroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I once dated a guy who kept snakes. I HATED it, even though he rocked. Once I was at his place....went upstairs to get something, and noticed their terrarium thingie had the lid off, and yep...no snake!! I FLEW outta there...after he tried to calmly explain to me that, "It's ok...they like to roam free and are probably in the dryer or my bed."

NOT HAPPENING.

A lovely poster from POF recently told me that I could grow to like them if I gave it a chance...LMAO...NOT.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 12:22:54 PM
I had a beautiful 6' boa when I was in high school. One day it escaped from its cage, and we couldn't find it... until weeks later, when the washing machine quit working: it had made its way inside, underneath, and got caught in the mechanism; unfortunately, fatal mistake for the snake. As I recall, we all slept a little more soundly after that.

I'm not especially afraid of snakes, but the thought of a snake bigger around than my arm getting affectionate in the middle of the night, as I was sleeping, wasn't appealing.

I kept tarantulas and scorpions after that.
 kychik33
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/7/2008 12:28:49 PM
oh and.... tarantulas and scorpions made ya feel better?
 WannaCStarz
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/7/2008 12:51:32 PM
!!! omg, THANK YOU , thank you , THANK YOU!!!

So many great ideas!! I had talked to Momma (4 hours from me) in IN, where they live in a big wooded and hilly and creeks, right by a river. I didnt remember ever having snakes inside when i was growing up. She said. once. Most of the times the cats DID keep them down. WOW, thanx all you cat people!
And she also told me about steel wool. Thanx, TBaby. I had googled too, but all i found was nature sights saying to use Lime or Sulphur, but they said if the snake gets it on his belly he can get irritated and then coil. !!! :( They also said that Liquid Snake is pretty useless

AND YES...we have tons of water, storms and 3 tornadoes, like everyone else in the Midwest....thats what i figured attracted them, and NO i HAVE no mice....i had one about 3 years ago. Last one ive seen in awhile.

Thank you about the mothballs!! I will try that!!! Also i wondered if it was my drain pipe, so im gonna get a screen to cover any holes in that. My x and a friend checked all over and moved the furniture for me when he dropped off the kids, nothing. So now im really freakin! but My Mom, like you all says they are TERRIFIED of people as much as we are of them. They normally curl up in balls to hybernate in the sun or hot inside. SO....hopefully, i can try the moth balls and steel wool and that will take care of them, but I didnt know you could call Animal Control. I think i will do that!!! THANK YOU!!!!

(these are just garter or grass snakes) i grew up in the country, but I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!!
*giggle* Since i almost picked up that one 2-3 wks ago, thinkin it was my little boys RUBBERone, (looked EXACTLY like it!!!) I have had the heebeegeebees, feeling snakes, seeing snakes, EEEEEEEEEEK!!! thinkin they are in my kids beds....so, THANX, im gonna do this and see what happens.
 Breaker_one_nine
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 1:16:03 PM
This is what I would do.

MOVE

I hate snakes, if they want the place they can have it. I'm outa there.
 yna6
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/7/2008 2:15:02 PM
Get a small terrier dog...it will keep your house pest free, whereas a cat won't take on all the pests...a dog will.
 angelheart3
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/7/2008 3:26:16 PM
OP - don't forget to look before you sit. (Seriously, at one time my brother was a plumber while working his way through college) - enough said.

True about the cats not eating everything but my cat at least tells me something is there and so far, no little gecko uninvited tenants since I adopted my cat.

With as many snakes as it sounds like you have, I'd call a professional to clean them out and then follow up with the other recommendations as prevention. Sounds like you have more snakes in house than you can reasonable invite to leave.

Good luck! At least snakes are better than gators, even though they are creepier!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > HELP! How do i get rid of SNAKES inside my home!??