Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What do women find funny?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What do women find funny?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
They say women have a higher threshold of pain than men, this is because there is always a part of woman's brain devoted to thinkin about shoes...

now I think that is hysterical, but is it too harsh for a first date? where is the fine line between whats funny for starters and what ain't? help me out ladies.
 ULO
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What do women find funny?
Posted: 7/8/2008 8:27:06 AM
Time for that typical guy being first to respond to something in the ask a girl section :)

I honestly don't think it's a women's perspective type of thing tho. If it's the first date, you don't know the person. You don't know what type of sense of humor they have or what they have or haven't been through in life. On the flipside, they don't know you. They don't know if it is just a joke or you really do stereotype.

Guy or not I'de enjoy the flame free taking you serious response. I smell another barbeque coming
 Catinka2008
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/8/2008 8:42:23 AM
Mmmmmm...don't try and be funny.
 rune3
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/8/2008 8:52:17 AM
You think that's "hysterical". Um... maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things.
You'd be wise to avoid sexist jokes on a first meeting with a woman, just as you'd be wise to avoid ageist jokes on your first meeting with an older person, racist jokes on your first meeting with a person of another race, etc. It's just good manners to consider and try to respect the feelings of others and avoid being offensive or hurtful as far as possible.

My own response to this joke would be a mental roll of the eyes and the thought that you were probably a sexist pig. If I managed to summon a laugh it would be because I do have good manners and I don't like to cause offence when someone might potentially be merely inept or inane rather than nasty.

It's possible to be funny without being offensive to anyone and if you can't get the hang of that maybe it's best not to try to be funny.
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:02:52 AM
Is being sexist really that bad? to me each gender has their strengths and weaknesses.

its a broad statement...and women really do like shoes.

give me an example of being funny without bein offensive to anyone.
 secret_agent_thing
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:05:34 AM
I'm not a girl but I'm guessing saying things like this;

They say women have a higher threshold of pain than men

there is always a part of woman's brain devoted to thinkin about shoes

won't go over well on a first date... or any date for that matter.

The way I see it, you sound like an ax murderer who just dissed her shoe collection
 dont poke the bear
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:14:39 AM
Your post makes no sense. Everybody has a different sense of humour whether they are men or women. Are the first words out of your mouth to someone on here going to be "Would you like to go on a date?". I would think once you have some communication before said date, you will be able to find out what sense of humour she has if any at all.

Cheers,

A
 ULO
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:18:45 AM
"Is being sexist really that bad? to me each gender has their strengths and weaknesses.

its a broad statement...and women really do like shoes.

give me an example of being funny without bein offensive to anyone."

Yes it is that bad. Not everyone is the same and not all women love shoes. Imagine you have persued the career of your dreams. This career happens to be heavilly dependant on appearance (not in a glamour sense, think more along the lines of buisness professional dress code etc.), and requires you to wear high heals. You have tripped alot because of them and or have medical problems with your ankles. You go on a date and here the joke. If you truly followed me and have a strong enough imagination you're pretty damned pissed. Nothing is funny about haing medical issues because of sexist workplace policies.

Being funny without being offensive to anyone (and I'm even gonna leave crude and adult in nature at that) - How many mice does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Two, but don't ask me how they got in there.

Ok maybe a nun would be offended, but my sample joke doesn't demean any sex, creed, race, religion, etc. etc.
 secret_agent_thing
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:21:50 AM

Is being sexist really that bad?

On a first date? Uhh, ya.

give me an example of being funny without bein offensive to anyone.

Don't try and be funny on a first date. Let the conversation run it's natural course and if something comes up that you can make a funny comment about or something then use it. If a girls on a date with you she's didn't come to hear one liners from you, she came to be on a date with you.
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:26:45 AM
Slander on the ask the women forums. fellers i'm asking women, not guys who think they're "in touch" with women. Your the ax murderer for mascarading as a women.

Everyone can tell me what is NOT funny. Sure, easy enough

I wanted to see what a variety of women thought was funny.

Women, Tell me of certain things a guy you may or may not have liked did that was both comedic and appealing on a date, if such a thing exists.

And you cannot tell me that all women hate offensive things, its just not true. The reason for the post is I would like to broaden the scope.
 ULO
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:32:09 AM
Slander on the ask the women forums. fellers i'm asking women, not guys who think they're "in touch" with women. Your the ax murderer for mascarading as a women.

Sexist men beget sexist women. Men post here in the interest of the ask a men forum. The less why are all men sexist pigs threads the better. If men fail to openly disagree, it gives some women the false impression that we don't feel any differant and you are the majority on this site.
 ShezaTxGal
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:59:24 AM
I don't own "shoes." Well ok, one pair of pumps for when I am forced to dress up, otherwise it's boots, sneakers and flip flops. So that comment is right out the door.

Don't TRY to be ANYTHING. Be yourself! Otherwise, you sound desperate.

What I find funny - telling a story where you can laugh at something stupid that you did. For instance (I'm a Texas cowgirl, so this is very regional) a story about how you roped a steer in front of 2,000 people and you fell off your horse, your boot hung in the stirrup and everyone saw your pink argyle socks because you didn't have any in the trailer and borrowed a pair of your teenage daughter's ... and you can laugh about it.

Jokes are fine, as long as they're generic. But the most important thing to do is LISTEN. Pick up on what she is saying, and you will quickly know which jokes/stores are ok, and which ones are not.
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:11:53 AM
Well thank you very much :)

I think that is some very good advice, and I do believe you have given me a good tip.

Anecdotes of a humourous nature.

and yes I want to be myself, and with a little insight like you've given me, i'll do better on dates I think.
 tiffanyithink
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:14:31 AM
You don't need jokes to have a sense of humour.
 whenyer_strange
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:19:43 AM
I didn't think the joke about shoes was funny. I'm not a lover of shoes though either. I actually don't like shopping, unless it's shopping for a new motorcycle.

Ummmm.....it's hard to describe what one finds funny. Some have found my profile funny, and others have said I need to be on medication.
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:30:29 AM
I do find your profile funny.
Unfortunately its not marketable for finding women haha, which is all i'm really inquiring into.

yea being funny is not the only way i'm sure, but the good relationships i've had always included laughter. If there is none, whats the point?

so broadening my own sense of humour would help me widen my range no?
thus this post, so far its been helpful.
 angelaisthecoolest
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:34:32 AM
Honey... Don't tell that joke.

If you told that to me I'd probably get up and leave. I'm a woman and I own four pairs of shoes. Nobody likes to be lumped into a huge generalization. That would be like me telling a joke to a man that implies all men are nuts because they're obsessed with football even though I know several men who aren't huge sports freaks.

But to answer your question, I find people to be the funniest when they're not trying to be funny. Most people can be funny naturally, and trying to hard with dumb jokes isn't the way to do it.
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:39:39 AM
Thanks sugar, I won't tell that joke to women anymore.
 justwant2no
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:44:37 AM
^^^and you might not want to call your date sugar! Some women find 'honey', 'sugar', 'darlin', 'sweetie', or other sappy nick names for someone you don't know, offensive.
 angelaisthecoolest
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:59:44 AM
Yeah... the "sugar" or "honey" or "darlin" thing is kind of skeezy.

If I've just met you, I am not your honey or your darlin. I hate it when someone assumes they can call a total stranger things like that without making them uncomfortable. Call women by their names, and they'll let you know when and if she becomes your "honey."
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:21:45 AM
yea, well toots you started callin the sweets first. so if your sleezy and im sleezy we could be sleezy together.
 Frankycadillac
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:22:57 AM
or did I uncover a double standard, are women allowed to call men honey and sugar, but not the other way around?
 tiffanyithink
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:25:18 AM
HAHA that's true honey!
I believe this is inspiration for a new thread... I can't wait!
 Bellydanza
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:31:23 AM
I'm from the south so I have heard the ''honey'' ''sugar'' ''darlin'' thing all my life, usually from older men and always found it very disturbing. The worst is having a customer come into where you work and you have to be nice to them when they say things like this.

But consider the other option of b it ches and ho's...i'll take the other anytime as long as it's from some hot guy...LOL...but because I live in the south I do understand the cultural thing of such language.

as for high threshhold for pain...and shoes...we wear all those high heels so I would think that is proof in itself of our high threshhold for pain.
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/8/2008 11:54:13 AM
I'd laugh.............but then again, I have a lot of shoes.

Seriously people...................lighten up. Breaking the ice the first meet is cause enough for anxiety, why make it more painful?

One presumes you have chatted online for a bit, then moved to the phone to get a better feel for the other person first of course.

^^BG^^
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What do women find funny?