Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who are Asians?.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 KamyJones
Msg: 1
Who are Asians?.Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have come across numerous threads discussing Asians, people discussing dating experiences, penis size, dating preferences, etc, however I noticed many of these posters have a different race in mind when forming their opinions. Therefore I would like to shed some light on this. Firstly, let me point out that in the United Kingdom when you mention asian the majority of Brits will think Pakistani/Indian. In America most people think Chinese (or people with Chinese features). I am not saying every person thinks like this but in my experience the majority do. Please note that a Chinese for example is physically & culturally very different to lets say a Pakistani.

As a general rule, those who life in the far-east, i.e, Chinese, Vietnamese, Koreans, have very similar physical features to each other. Whereas, those who live in South-Asia, i.e, Indian/pakistanis have more of a middle-eastern physical appearance. So any further discussions on asians it would be very helpful if you could be more specific on which race is in question :)
 migivadamsbusted
Msg: 2
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:34:00 PM
I'm sure everyone will bow down to your request...
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:35:22 PM
So OP, are you saying you are of Indian or Pakistani descent?

~ds~
 asianace10
Msg: 4
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:37:13 PM
I consider myself "Asian" I am actually 1/2 Korean and 1/2 Caucasian but I have several asian characteristics which define or make me different; I think of people from Korean, Japan, China, and Vietnam more as "Asian" and people from India or Pakistan as East Indian, perhaps just mentioning one's country of origin would eliminate any confusion; whatever the differences I love peoples of all ethnic groups and the cultural differences make all unique.
 sanderick
Msg: 5
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:44:59 PM
I think that the OP's request is more attributed to people in the U.K.

As far as I know, everyone here in the U.S. when referring to "asian", we refer to those from Asian countries and not Middle Eastern countries.

This miss-understanding then, would happen in the U.K., and is not happening at all here in the U.S.

Not sure about the Cunnucks.

Can a Canadian shed some insight as to where you would think someone is from, or descended from, when referred to as Asian?

tx2step99
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/10/2008 12:52:01 PM
Actually, Pakistani and Indian people are considered Asians, but they are more South Asians.

Whereas people from Vietnam, China, Korea, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, etc. are considered Southeast Asians.

But usually here in the US, when you mention Asians, we tend to think more of the latter description. Being 1/2 Vietnamese and 1/2 Caucasian myself, that's what I think when someone says Asian.

Translation
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/10/2008 1:07:45 PM

As far as I know, everyone here in the U.S. when referring to "asian", we refer to those from Asian countries and not Middle Eastern countries.

Huh? When did the OP mention Middle Eastern countries?

Asia includes India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and even the Middle East and a large portion of the former USSR.

The Middle East, which is part of Asia, is Iran, Iraq, Turkey, and down the Arabian Peninsula. But, it does not include India or Pakistan.

But it is true, when most Americans say Asian; we are generally referring to the Far Eastern countries.

But then, it is most likely that most Americans cannot tell you where Asia is on a world map.
 sanderick
Msg: 8
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 2:34:51 PM

They never did. It's a discussion thats ongoing. Please take a moment to actually read the posts, so that you have at least some idea as to what we are talking about.

But then, it is most likely that most Americans cannot tell you where Asia is on a world map.

Last I checked Asia was not a country.
 .all.
Msg: 9
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 2:45:03 PM

Can a Canadian shed some insight as to where you would think someone is from, or descended from, when referred to as Asian?

i refer to it the same way you do. ive never thought of middle eastern people as asians..
 Translation
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 2:47:25 PM

They never did. It's a discussion thats ongoing. Please take a moment to actually read the posts, so that you have at least some idea as to what we are talking about.

Umm, it is still on the first page. How many times do you want me to read them?

Last I checked Asia was not a country.

When did I say that it was a country? Please take a moment to actually read the posts. But thanks for proving my point on the knowledge level of Americans.

This is just so sad, so very very sad.
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 11
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 2:56:00 PM
I generally consider the region with Pakistan & India as PanAsian rather than simply Asian.
 snoozy_q
Msg: 12
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 3:09:55 PM
In the US, people like myself, whose ethnic origins are on the Indian subcontinent, are typically referred to as "South Asian."

As a footnote, I have filled out many a form and checked many a checkbox in my life, and over time, I have noticed the forms change.

When I was little typically there was only a box for "Asian." These days, however, I increasingly see "South Asian" as a separate option.
 Blueeyedbaldman
Msg: 13
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 3:12:40 PM
Your post gave me a headache. All I know is that I am not Asian. Geez.
<--------grabbing some aspirin.
 liquid405
Msg: 14
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 6:05:50 PM

When did I say that it was a country? Please take a moment to actually read the posts. But thanks for proving my point on the knowledge level of Americans.

Do you feel superior yet?
 Translation
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 6:23:29 PM

Do you feel superior yet?

Huh? What does that have to do with geography? You obviously have confusions about it. Me? Not so much. Don’t take it so personal that I am trying to help you out with that.
 kit901
Msg: 16
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 7:44:41 PM
Hi I'm Asian from Asia *wave

Asians to me are the Southeast Asia people. Asians are people, Asia is a country where you see on the world map. Iraq and all that are asians but i never referred to them as one. Thats just me, maybe because i was raised in the US :-P yeehaw!

by the way...encase you're wondering. I'm from thailand. pronounce Tie - land . Thought i throw in there to help ya out.
 pretty moon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 7:57:21 PM
This is all soooooooooooo PC
 Earthy Artist
Msg: 18
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 8:23:37 PM
f Asia is a COUNTRY - then can the same be said for North America?

When in doubt of anything I recommend google. Here I did it for you all so we are all in the know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

I am specifically Canadian... But I am also more generally North American. :)
Now we can go back to discussing regional terminology, references, and slang.
 DaveB951
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 8:28:26 PM
what a hilarious post !!!

What and who are white people then ? I mean.... there are literally several dozen ( if not more) different white people from different parts of the globe so what are we supposed to do break it down and send a freaking family tree of just what particular kind of white we are ??? (Irish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Canadian, English, French) etc. etc. etc.

Sheeesh OP ....... maybe overanalyzing a tad.......... take a chill pill and relax brother.....it is a beautiful world and its all good......

Peace
 kit901
Msg: 20
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 9:03:58 PM
Asians are people, i meant as in nationality. Asia is a continent but i called it a country cuz people seems to understand that better. AND no thank you for the link cuz i think i know what i am.
 sanderick
Msg: 21
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 9:10:48 PM

raq and all that are asians but i never referred to them as one. Thats just me, maybe because i was raised in the US

Thanks Kit, that was my point exactly. I'm Indonesian myself, but growing up in the U.S., I view this as you do.

Funny, some people here have a map with Asia on it. I think they need to buy a new one that doesn't have U.S.S.R. on it.

To funny...

Earthy Artist
Msg: 22
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:22:59 PM
The link was for everyone to settle the debate. Asia is a continent. A continent is sub-divided into regions and countries. It is elementary geography...and personally I think it is best correct rather than encourage incorrect terminology. It's like encouraging people to mispronounce your name or call you something different because they think that is what your name is .
 Translation
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 10:44:02 PM
It is like going to Mexico and saying that you are an American. They look at you and say, ‘Yeah, me too.’ Ha haha, or Brazil, or Chile, Venezuela, Canada, and so many others. Yep, they are all Americans.
 Earthy Artist
Msg: 24
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 11:07:07 PM
Do you mean South and Central Americans confuse Canadians with being Americans (which is the generally appointed term for people living in the United States of America)

...or do you mean people from outside the United States refer to themselves as Americans?

..or do you mean people from the United States think everyone in North and South America are Americans?

Ive never met anyone from Canada or Latin America refer to themselves as Americans but as a Canadian traveling in Latin America I have had to draw the distinction that I am a Canadian - from Canada. Not an American from the United States of America as we are very similar and easily confused with each other when we go into foreign countries... Kind of like Australians and New Zealanders are often confused with each other when they come over here due to similar accents.
 Translation
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Who are Asians?.
Posted: 7/12/2008 11:25:52 PM
It is when a United States citizen goes to another American country. Not so much with Canada, because share the common distinction, but I have been to Mexico a few times and they do seem to want to make note that we are North American. Norte Americano.

The United States is not really as much of a name as it is a description; whereas Canadians are from Canada. This is why the United States goes by America, but as geographical descriptions go, we are all Americans, whether that be north, central, or south.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Who are Asians?.