Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Are women as visually stimulated as men?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sinful4wmn
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Are women as visually stimulated as men?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have been thinking of this for quite sometime. What really made me think about this topic is the fact that for the first few months of my POF account, I didn't have any photos loaded and I would almost never get any responses. Even as I sent messages just saying hi or informing someone I felt we had similar likes, I couldn't garner any responses.

The few I did receive messages from, wasn't interested because of the fact that I was looking more for a platonic/sexual encounters then lasting friendships or long term relationships. Many I couldn't even contact because they restricted whom they can receive messages for. You know what I mean. Many that claim they don't want any contact from someone seeking intimate encounters or those that have sent previous messages with intimate encounters intentions or just those that do not have pictures in their profiles.

What amazed me is that after uploading my photos, I was inundated with messages. Many from the same women that wouldn't accept my previous attempts at messaging because I was in search of intimate encounters.

Believe it or not many more that have restrict those that either seeked previous intimate encounters or currently seeking intimate encounters from messaging them, would message me informing me that they are interested in such an encounter.

Ofcourse I haven't mentioned any of these hypocrisies but it really got me thinking.

Are women just as sexually stimulated by an attractive man as men are with an attractive woman or even more so?
 alicia60
Msg: 2
Are women as visually stimulated as men?
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:38:23 PM
Yes, they are. That is why all the complaining goes on about profiles without pics. I started my account without pics for months, when I put them on it was different.
 nancymcnyc
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:08:25 PM
If someone doesn't have a photo, I assume they have something to hide. And if I'm putting my photo out there, it's the least they could do to put their photo out.

But clearly most men believe the myth that women aren't visual creatures, based in the really bad photos they post. If you take a photo of yourself in the bathroom mirror - and so many of them do - you obviously don't give a damn about the visual impression you are making.
 sheilarodri
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:28:22 PM
People like to see who they are chatting to. It helps makes the person seem real, even though every thing could be a lie.
 lateralus8
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:45:59 PM
I obviously can't answer for everybody but for me and the women I know....HELL YES WE ARE.

When me and my g/f's sit around talking we all love the look of a fine man who takes seriously good care of himself and his body. Nice shoulders...nice abs. If we are going to peep at a guy......it's a good looking one.

It's funny but sometimes women give men the whole...dirty old guy looking at young women...or the what a pervert statement...ect ect. For the most part we seem just as bad.

That being said even the older women I know if they are going to drop there jaw it fo sho isn't at an old, overweight man.

most girls I know if it is purly sexual fantasy for ummmmmm self satisfaction....your picturing a man with a nice body as well as a whole lot mo! Not a guy with 40 extra pounds and 50 years old.

The other day we were talking about just how sexy it is when a guy uses an axe to break up wood with no shirt and a low pair of jeans.

I am not saying all women think this way but I know alot that do.

Damn...my mom watches dancing with the stars and thinks that the host of it is super cute and he is wayyyyyyyy younger than her but with a nice bod....beautiful smile and confidence.

I'm not saying were suckers and that looks will get you a long way...but if your just talking physical.....OF course we are stimulated by good looking men amoungst other characteristics.

It seems like alot of the time men like to believe we arn't....but be a fly on the wall where alot of women are sitting around talking with no men in sight!
 lateralus8
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/20/2008 9:48:04 PM
No, most men believe that myth because women have propagated it to their own ends.

I agree with this statement to a very large degree.
 windloverr
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:15:09 AM
Women are obviously very visual; but no where near to the degree men are. Google the research on this; or just look at the results on here. Some very hot women, with revealing, or provocative, photos get 30 to 50 emails a day from guys; and most haven't bothered to even read the first line of her profile. I'll bet the hottest guy on here doesn't get 10 to 20 emails a day. All women get far more emails on here than guys with similar levels of attractiveness. Are women aroused by a physically attractive guy...so far 100% of the women responding report yes...hard to argue with that. Does their level of visual stimulation compare with men's? Not even close. Let's face it, a hot woman could post some cleavage shots; and put in her profile that she really wants sex because she hasn't been laid in 10 years, because she just got out of prison for castrating her last five boyfirends; and she's going to get a lot of offers. I'm going to run a similar thread asking how many emails people get; let's see how it plays out.
 Catinka2008
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:45:12 AM
Yes, we are, that's why I have to laugh when I see some forum posts from men stating they are MORE visual oriented than women. If men knew how visual we are, they would never wear sandals in public again LOL. We watch men every bit as much as men watch women. Do you think our minds really work that diffeently when it comes to attraction?
 EdgarRice
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:18:56 AM
Sandals? What?
 stone_artly
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:51:59 AM
Women are obviously very visual; but no where near to the degree men are. Google the research on this; or just look at the results on here. Some very hot women, with revealing, or provocative, photos get 30 to 50 emails a day from guys; and most haven't bothered to even read the first line of her profile. I'll bet the hottest guy on here doesn't get 10 to 20 emails a day.

This is a matter or evolutionary biology, men have the ability to create millions of sperm daily, consequently they can be (and are) more promiscuous then women. Women have 2 eggs a month, because of this they select partners with more care. I know this sounds like some sort of sexual economics, but it is a widely held and reasonable theory.

Now what kind of care do both genders use to select. Health. What are those signals? Men generally think "average" looking women are more attractive. Does this sound strange? Yes! Until you realize what is meant by that is a geometrical mapping of features. This experiment has been repeated many times with basically the same result. A group of men are shown pictures of a group of women and ask who they think is most attractive, and the results are tabulated. Then they send the pictures to some computer graphics geek and she/he morphs all the images together to make an "average" women. The pictures are then again shown to a group of men and ALMOST ALWAYS the "average" woman is thought to be the most attractive.

Women? They tend to like symmetry. The experiment was to show women a picture of a man and have his looks rated. Then the same graphics geek was given the photo, told to lop of one side or the other of the mans face and replace it with an reversed image of the other side making the man exactly symmetrical. Again ALMOST ALWAYS photo two gets a higher rating.

If men knew how visual we are, they would never wear sandals in public again LOL.

Another tested point. Women do look at men's hands (and feet) they are looking for...wait for it.... Symmetry.

Dan
 Leeanne
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 7:57:32 AM
I actually need to see someones eyes - their face! I want to see into their soul - who they are and what I might expect! The 'package' they come in is just a secondary enticement!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:32:20 AM

I'm a visual girl. Must have that attraction to have that attraction.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:18:11 AM

This is a matter or evolutionary biology, men have the ability to create millions of sperm daily, consequently they can be (and are) more promiscuous then women. Women have 2 eggs a month, because of this they select partners with more care. I know this sounds like some sort of sexual economics, but it is a widely held and reasonable theory.

I don't agree. You have left out the factor of the Alpha male. There are guys out there that sleep with ungodly numbers of women in a lifetime. If you throw out these people (men and women) that have slept with over 100 people. You'll find that the women left over average more partners than men in a lifetime. Maybe many more. So while some men are MUCH more promiscuous than women, on the whole women are more so than men.

Let the argument begin... (Smiley in a foxhole, with a helmet on, goes here.)
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:24:00 AM
Yes, women are just as shallow when it comes to looks as men are. Do they get off on visual stimuli like men do. I don't think so.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:36:05 AM

Posted By: YourCuteGuy1 on 7/21/2008 1208 PM
Subject: Are women as visually stimulated as men?
Message: Hardayknight, are you saying in so many words that just about every woman can get laid when she wants but that most guys have to hope and pray to get them some?

In other words some guys rarely get laid unless they are willing to pay for it. And that practically no woman ever has to pay for it?

So apparently it's the women who keep the players in the games. Possibly women make the players? And possibly women can't resist a good player? That maybe, even though she knows he's a player, she can't resist using him to add a notch to her bed post?

Say it ain't so...

We have a winner.
 2ofcup
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:38:05 AM
"I'll bet the hottest guy on here doesn't get 10 to 20 emails a day."

Ironiclly before I posted my photo the most email I ever recived in a day was 82, I got a total of 251 that week ...then I posted this god awefully pic.......and WOW only 5 responses to my mail.

"Are women as visually stimulated as men?"

Yep you can bet your bottom on it.
 kthyg
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:13:06 AM
Women are very much visually stimulated although I think we are often stimulated to a different degree. Looks get our attention but keep them for a much shorter time then the men I know.
 Sardonis
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:23:26 AM

"No, most men believe that myth because women have propagated it to their own ends."

I agree with this statement to a very large degree.

I also agree that the myth that "women are not visual" is reinforced by women themselves.

But why? What do women have to gain by it?
 kthyg
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:15:05 AM
^^^^^ Who let you in on the secret????? Traitor in our midst ladies.

"What are we going to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night.......Try to take over the world"
 Blueskies123
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:26:20 AM
OP, of course we are!

If I see a hot guy walking along I'll take a look..it's natural.

I don't really understand why some men think women are not visually stimulated.

It's been ths way for thousands of years after all.
 *buzz*
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:32:13 AM
Of course, they are but the other senses play more important role as time rolls on or in
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2008 11:38:47 AM

We have a winner.

LMAO ~ ***snort*** ~ sad but true.

But why? What do women have to gain by it?

Why??? Seriously? Because there is no need to worry about eggs, how many eggs, what eggs are for because unless there is physical attraction, it's highly unlikely we'll get passed the friend-zone. Simple biology I'm afraid. (And yes, there are likely a few exceptions and what I think is attractive most likely differs greatly from others ~ maybe that falls under selective conditioning, I don't know and it really makes no difference because I know what I like. That leaves about 99% of the male population free from me and my intrusions.)
 stone_artly
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:38:57 PM
Alpha Males?
The evidence for the difference in desire for short-term mating has been proven again and again. In one study men and women college students approached strangers and said "i've been noticing you on campus and I find you very attractive" When they asked one of three questions: Would you go out on a date with me? Would you go back to my apartment with me? Would you have sex with me? The experimenters recorded the percentage who agreed to each request, and also any verbal comments they made. Of the women approached by the male experimenters, 50% agreed to go out on a date with him; 6% agreed to go back to his apartment; and 0% agreed to have sex. Of the men approached by the female experimenters, 50% agreed to go out on a date 69% agreed to go back to her apartment. And 75% agreed to have sex with her.
My conclusion, since I know you can't be wrong, is that 75% of males are alpha males.

Oh and BTW when asked the number of partners they desired Women answered 4.5 and men answered 18. This statistical difference is cross-cultural.

The article listed below addresses symmetry. I would like to add for clarity here that my initial post assumed that we were not changing anything but the symmetry of one males face and then re-evaluating. There is evidence that with simultaneous preferences for several traits (tall AND dark AND handsome AND symmetrical) the importance of symmetry is reduced.
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002106

This link will descibe one test on attractiveness vis-a-vis averageness .
www.staff.amu.edu.pl/~krzychu/literature/langlois1990.doc -
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:43:17 PM
I just wish women were more expressive. I would love it if women would wolf whistle me as a I walked by, flirt with their eyes in the supermarket, or catch them checkin me out after I walk by. I pray for such a day!!
 celts123
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/21/2008 1:08:13 PM
Yes they are. For example, many women won't date a man under a certain height. Most people care about looks to some extent although some people ( regardless of gender ) will care more about looks than other people will. There have been plenty of times when I was willing to give a woman a chance even though I thought she was average looking at best. However these women quickly rejected me because of looks or because of lack of "instant chemistry".
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Are women as visually stimulated as men?