Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > What's your selling 'you' secret? And is it improving your 'sales'?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deepsea66
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What's your selling 'you' secret? And is it improving your 'sales'?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've been watching the Gruen Transfer and love it, and find it's a real eye opener.

It's got me thinking that alot of us here might not be taking advantage of the secrets of selling, after all if a face cream can use oxygen as it's miracle ingredient and peope buy it, how could we put these strategies to work for us?

I am now looking for my miracle ingredient, and will add to my profile as soon as I've discovered what it is. And will hope to see me running out the door soon!

What's your selling 'you' secret? And is it improving your 'sales'? Care to share? lol

And is there an ad that had you running out the door to buy whatever it was it was selling? Or an ad that even though you might have liked the product, the ad turned you off buying it?

Cheers, Deepy
 curiousaboutu77
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Advertising....
Posted: 7/28/2008 3:03:58 AM
I was actually going to buy contents insurance from a company once but i didn't because i wasn't impressed by there fear campaign in selling it and i got turned off. They were almost telling the viewers that if someone breaks into your home, your an inferior parent and that if you don't have sensors that you don't care about making the home safe for your kids. This i thought was going too far so i thought i will buy it from someone else.
As for my advertising abilities on POF, no luck so far, still havent improved my sales figures
 Naamah
Msg: 3
Advertising....
Posted: 7/28/2008 3:52:02 AM
As I understand it advertising is meant to work better if it focuses on benefits rather than features...sell the sizzle, not the sausage. (guys should perhaps not take that too literally. )

I have this book about advertising that says that Yale Uni did a study once that defined these as the 12 most persuasive words in the English language ...

discovery
money
results
safety
proven
you
health
love
guarantee
save
new
easy

Wonder what they could do for a profile?
 dimeadozen
Msg: 4
Advertising....
Posted: 7/28/2008 6:12:10 AM

discovery
money
results
safety
proven
you
health
love
guarantee
save
new
easy

The perfect PoF profile should run as follows:

Looking for that new discovery?

Save money, proven easy!

You
'll love the results!

(Health and safety guarantee.)
 Naamah
Msg: 5
Advertising....
Posted: 7/30/2008 3:32:23 AM

I'll be adding a few of those words to my profile!! lol
Cheers, Deepy

I hope it brings some good results for you Deepy. Let us know if it makes any difference...we'll see if those Yale folk know what they are talking about or not.

And thanks for the heads up about the show about advertising you mentioned in your OP. I'll try and catch it tonight....(hoping it's not on at the same time as House. ) Actually if this is an interest of yours, there was a book I read some time ago about branding and advertising...."No Logo" (Naomi Klein)...some very interesting revelations about what advertisers get up to in that.
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 6
Advertising....
Posted: 7/30/2008 8:46:42 AM
Hey Deepy...., yes indeedy..., if you can..., check out "No Logo"...., very easy to read and as Naamah said it's very interesting.
and also if you can find it Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent", it's about media manipulation (mostly) especially within politics...., the pinacle in advertising supposedly..., anyway the title says it all !
Also I watched the Gruen Transfer earlier tonight and also thought it was quite good....,
cheers...., Frecky
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 7
Advertising....
Posted: 7/30/2008 12:13:48 PM
The future is going to dictate that "green" or "environment" be part of an ad campaign.

I sell 30 cookbooks on the internet and am considering offerring all 30 for the price of one. I don't know if you can apply this pitch to a profile but using your imagination who knows ?
 crazytimes1
Msg: 8
Advertising....
Posted: 7/30/2008 4:22:06 PM
Ability to communicate can often be secondary to what you are communicating. Indeed, I would go so far as to say sometimes is that ability in itself that is the selling point.

It helps I am selling an awesome package, but communication ability is almost always mentioned as a selling point.
 dimeadozen
Msg: 9
Advertising....
Posted: 7/30/2008 7:36:42 PM

It helps I am selling an awesome package, but communication ability is almost always mentioned as a selling point.

yes, well confidence in your product and lack of shyness are important characteristics for successful sales too..........obviously!
 Beachippy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Advertising....
Posted: 8/30/2009 3:57:03 AM
Advertising works... let's face it...

all that mass tv advertising by Hardly Normals lately has given them handsome profits over the "downturn"... while they pretend you're robbing them for asking for a better discount...

I mean? how many times can you tell the public you're having a last ever, never to be repeated, carpark tent sale... closing sunday at 4 PM...
if you're open for business same as usual monday morning... same goods, same inflated prices.... yet by all accounts the public believe you every time you tell them....

Go Gerry!.... ... you tell 'em!.... if you repeat a lie often enough and loud enough it will eventually sink in....

Goebels? wasn't it?....
 JustJase
Msg: 11
Advertising....
Posted: 8/30/2009 4:11:19 AM
I was gooing to advertise a 'Buy One Get One Free' Offer for my profile, but alas, there is only one of me
 Beachippy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Advertising....
Posted: 8/30/2009 4:31:50 AM
and you'd never attract a vegetarian lady if you offered a set of free steak knives with the profile.......

advertising seems to be a licence to sell lies..... gild the lily.... with impunity..

how to you sell a "lifestyle" ..in real estate speil?... if you're a moron it doesn't matter where you can afford to live.... the coast here is full of people who moved here for the lifestyle... yet never take it up..... .... then start bagging the locals lifestyle..... go figure.....
 paulbme
Msg: 13
Advertising....
Posted: 8/30/2009 5:26:30 AM
as i always say Thats as popular as a harvey morman once a year sale geez the years go by fast
Many years ago i got roped into selling amway or Network marketing as they called ,
the big focus was on selling and moving up the money ladder,was like a bussiness school ,but no training on the products
 Rob_SA
Msg: 14
Advertising....
Posted: 8/30/2009 8:04:28 AM
I'd never buy insurance from SGIC because of their ads, the ones about how competitive the reps are. I also shy away from Subway because of their crappy ads with that B grade Yank alleged comedian... and what's with "eat fresh"? I don't recall ever asking for a stale one.

First prize has to go to the industry super ads, not that I'm in the market for any. As much as Bernie Fraser may be a trusted and experienced economist he's become the poster boy for bad ads!
 soulmate08
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Advertising....
Posted: 8/30/2009 4:02:42 PM
FREE TO A GOOD HOME
This creature was found under the seat on the 'special bus'
No tags or microchips.. and noone has come forth to make a claim, on this obviously preloved being..
Has a few dents/scars.. and looks like it could do with a good feed and maybe a haircut/trim.. might improve its ferral appearance...
Needs an open paddock, lots of room to play/run in..
Is nearly housetrained.. but don't try and get to close to quick..
Is quite affectionate.. and will curl up next to you.... softly..mooing if you feed,
daily and seems to love beer...
comes with a free waffle maker...
peace
 JustJase
Msg: 16
Advertising....
Posted: 9/1/2009 4:58:23 AM
....and be friendly to waffles..... ('cuse me, one of my other personalities, snuck out for a second, must..... control...... it)
 PETER4444
Msg: 17
What's your selling 'you' secret? And is it improving your 'sales'?
Posted: 9/1/2009 4:33:22 PM
deepsea66 on 7/28/2008 832 PM
(What's your selling 'you' secret? And is it improving your 'sales'? Care to share? lol0

Hi;I realise that this comment is intended to create interest in the art
of 'selling'yourself by way of promotion but the serious side of the
equation is that if you really had to resort to spin and salesmanship
you would actually detract from the whole purpose of your intention;
the need to be yourself in a world which is consumed by spin and
false ideology to the point that everything we seem to do is consumed
by our layers of conditioning and gunk that we have accumulated
from birth (and there is evidence to indicate it started at conception!).

I would personally find any such embellishments self gratuitous and
humiliating; should I EVER wish to present myself like a 'show pony' and
promote myself I would personally 'puke' inwardly;at the end of the day
I would eventually be discovered for the fraudulent character that I
was AND THE TIME WASTED IN SUCH INTERLUDES would have
been just that................a waste of time because discovery would be
INEVITABLE.
 lookin4one2
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/1/2009 9:55:01 PM
Well deepy, if someone on this site really had the perfect profile ad that was working for them, do you REALLY think they would share that secret with anyone else????
You'd have to be bananas to do that

Why reduce your own chances by doing that!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Naamah
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/2/2009 4:00:10 AM
Well I've just changed my profile photo to a dodgy quality phone-camera shot of me looking like cr@p, sitting beside a sheep called Spencer who is wearing green glasses....I reckon I'm onto a winner with this one. Although realistically, Spence probably has more chance of picking up.
 soulmate08
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2009 4:09:35 AM
^^^^^^^^ Ive seen you.. in living flesh...real life..
you have a healthy glow about your skin...personage..
basically.. your beautiful....inside and out... and just an awesome hostess...
you derseve the best.... good luck finding gold... amongst the dirt..

although... the 'sheep..... might be subliminally... linking you to being a kiwi...
guess that's the risk your taking...
...gotta be careful of subliminal messages/...hmmmm.
what the fuk.. does the dead fish on a profile mean?
hmmm....
you deserve the best would be my tagline for an ad for you...

peace
 Kissthisfrog !
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/2/2009 4:24:20 AM
I go and light a candle......., down in the fork of a truly huge swamp mahogany in the middle of the creek...,

I would have to say this has not really worked for me....., yet...., a chance would be a fine thing.

My best friend/dog, "mullet' seems to be paying me more attention lately though.

....., and on some rare occasions I do seem to get a bit of wood on the ball.
 PETER4444
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/2/2009 5:24:33 AM
lookin4one2 on 9/2/2009 301 PM

(the perfect profile ad that was working for them)

Hi:Do you really imagine that if someone was looking for a
serious relationship and the spiel emanating from that particular
individual was based on His/Her honest appraisal it would fit anybody
else without fallacious content?

Surely individuality is of the essence because the other person
is not looking for a 'generic' brand of human but a special individual
with that special characteristic(s) that endears him/her to that person!

The fact is that it is easy to 'spew' a heap of glib comments and attain a
date if the sucker at the receiving end falls for the throw away line
that 'sells' the product but discards the true nature of the person
behind the line!It may take some time to discover the person behind
the product but eventually the truth will out and all embellishments
will be treated as false;the integrity of that person shattered.

Given the abstract nature of dating sites where face to face contact
is not immediate much depends on careful and pertinent communication
because misunderstandings easily occur and disappointments on meeting
serves nobody any good.

I guess I am treating this thread much too seriously but personal human
relationships (to my way of thinking) has the potential to deeply hurt
those with serious intent;the human 'emotion' being a very vulnerable
construct that has the potential to create seriously unintended and disastrous
consequences.
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/2/2009 6:15:42 AM
The fact is that it is easy to 'spew' a heap of glib comments and attain a
date if the sucker at the receiving end falls for the throw away line
that 'sells' the product but discards the true nature of the person
behind the line!It may take some time to discover the person behind
the product but eventually the truth will out and all embellishments
will be treated as false;the integrity of that person shattered.

So true.

One must show one's true nature on a dating site so that the cashed up punters know exactly what they are purchasing in advance.

For example, my profile perfectly demonstrates the kind of openess and honesty we should all be using in our online 'sell'. My integrity and high moral character shines through, even though I'm not for sale because no-one could possibly afford me.

However, should I put myself on the dating market again I'll be sure to gussy up my profile with a great photo of my tits.

Edit: Heck, why not just do it now!
 JustJase
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/2/2009 6:45:04 AM
^^^^^^^ Are these authentic ?????

Is this really LuvU or is it a stand in ???? I will let the Forumites decide.....
 ~luvUlongtime~
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/2/2009 7:05:56 AM
^^^ Did you read the enlightening and wise words I wrote in my previous post? Hmph! I'm here for serious debate...

On a more vacuous note... I wonder if my secret 'selling points' will improve my sales? Coz I'm a bit short of cash this week actually.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > What's your selling 'you' secret? And is it improving your 'sales'?