Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > fly tying and fly fishing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hopergroper
Msg: 1
view profile
History
fly tying and fly fishingPage 1 of 1    
Anyone who is an accomplished fly-fisher/ ties flies and would like to post some patterns, or anyone who would like to learn fly fishing and learn fly tying patterns and some techniques for fishing certain types of fly patterns, feel free to say hello, and ask away. Hopefully I or someone else can help answer any questions.
 hopergroper
Msg: 2
view profile
History
fly tying and fly fishing
Posted: 7/30/2008 8:05:06 AM
ok, for first time fly fishers... you can usually get a half decent rod under $100. with a reel and fly line/backing on it. Since you can get extra spools for your reels to carry different types of fly lines I would suggest getting a weight forward floating line for your first attempts. The magic numbers when casting are ten and two. These are the positions your rod tip stops forward and back. I usually get a first timer to put a baseball glove under their rod holding arm to help keep their arms from flailing. Also to start practising on a ball field/schoolyard without any leader or flies tied to fly line.
A number 6-7 or 7-8 weight rod to start as well.
happy casting.
 hopergroper
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 9:00:04 AM
Fishing slowed down a bit last few days with nymphs and emergers. Picked a few up during some hatches on the surface.
Had my best success drifting with a bloodworm chironamid pattern.
Heading off to fish a couple of lakes south of me in the next day or so that can be very spotty but have rainbows running up to 8lbs which are always breath taking to catch.
will post results
 hopergroper
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2008 10:55:34 PM
lol, well results were absolutely not worth mentioning. I guess thats why I forgot to post. Fished Quesnel, Cariboo rivers to a bit of success recently, as well as a couple of no name local pot hole lakes just to make my ego feel better. ( the no namers' have some awful big fish in them and require heavy tippets to even get them to release stage...otherwise they just break off). Pinks/chums will be running in Bella Coola/ Atnarko Rivers soon, so I am getting ready to play tag with the grizzlies. Some of the smaller lakes are starting to heat up, and the fish are getting "muddy" tasting, but that is pretty much the norm for this part of the world. Hit a wonderful mayfly hatch a few days ago at Dewar Lake (just up the road) and a buddy hit a great one at Jacques Lake about 1/2 hour north-east of Horsefly. Rainbows averaged about 1.5 to 2 pounds on both lakes.
 Deed50
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/20/2008 8:55:26 PM
Tying flies for the coho salmon season ........................................................silvers on the fly on the Vedder, Chehalis, Stave and Norrish creek sytems...................... what a blast coho fishing is on a fly
 hopergroper
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2009 9:36:31 AM
lol. been awhile posting I see. I've been tying and fishing a few different leech patterns but the chironomids are starting and I'll be swithching soon. I've had good luck on brookies with a gray leech and for rainbows with black (a bit of red butt and silver or gold tinsel depending on the sun) Egg sucking leeches have been working as well.
I tie my patterns shorter than the commercial varieties and seem to hook up more.
A lot of new fly fishers try to set the hook on the first hit when leech pattern fishing. Don't!! Usually the fish is trying to break the leech in half on the first hit and will come back and eat it on the second pass. A lot of folks get excited and pull the hook out of the fishes "window" or visibility and never get the second and more satisying hit.
A good practice is to hold one hand on the line and pull the line with your hand as opposed to lifting rod tip up and reefing the line when you get a hit. This way the fly pattern only travels 6 or 7 inches from the fish if you miss setting the hook and then you may get another chance, as long as the fish still sees the fly. lifting the rod and yarding back to set the hook, simply pulls the fly out of the fishes vision and it will look elsewhere to feed. It works for bass plugs not fly fishing. Anyways, peace and tight lines. I will try to post a bit more often in the future. Gary
 hopergroper
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2009 9:35:04 PM
I"ve been having fairly good fishing on a few different lakes. half-backs tied up with just a touch of white below the head or throat (airbubble) seems to trigger more hits than halfbacks fished without the white. Fished with sink tip and floating. Mayflies have been busy and humpy and tom thumb patterns have been working fairly well. Also been fishing a flourescent yellow shrimp with a silver back that has picked off a couple of five pounders. Full sinking line for these.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > fly tying and fly fishing