Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > What is POF trying to install on my computer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mydstny1
Msg: 1
What is POF trying to install on my computer?Page 1 of 1    
Last few days, my computer is blocking a file from downloading to my computer from POF. It doesn't list what the file is or why it wants to download to my computer.

Anyone else having this issue and do you know what it is?

Thanks.
 ahron9985
Msg: 2
What is POF trying to install on my computer?
Posted: 8/8/2008 8:33:21 AM
What makes you think a file is trying to download to your computer? what exactly do you see???
 Fashen
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/8/2008 9:02:44 AM
Can we see a screenshot? what is the file name and source?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/8/2008 11:09:36 AM
Last few days, my computer is blocking a file from downloading to my computer from POF. It doesn't list what the file is or why it wants to download to my computer.

There are no Files which can be downloaded from POF.

Its your Microsoft InfoPath installed on your Computer trying deploy Forms and gathering Information.
 himmicane§
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 11:13:08 AM
I've noticed the occasional ad seems to want to install an activeX control. I just ignore the prompt.
 mydstny1
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/8/2008 2:01:03 PM
If I knew the file name, I would not have asked. No I do not have a screenshot. Next time it happens I will get one.

I use IE7. After I login, at the top of the IE browser, the line appears that says, IE blocked a potentially harmful file from downloading to your computer. I then have the option to click on it and download the file, but it doesn't say what it is. It goes away when I navigate to another page.
 rconiv
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:05:03 PM
It sounds like either a banner is trying to install something, or there is a program (like java) that something that is loading up needs to run, and it wants to install it.
 w00ts
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:19:24 PM
No they won’t do anything like that chillax.

The only thing to worry about is the advertising junk that’s associated with the site (the revenue ect) if you have decent blocking filters for your browser then you are fine, if you don’t just ask.

:)
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 3:45:46 PM
only files to download might be pictures, but never had the urge to save low res pictures

Firefox 3 seems pretty good at blocking junk from downloading, never see the stuff the OP seems to get :)
 mydstny1
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/9/2008 12:27:23 AM
Here is the screen capture.
I just want to know what it is that wants to d/l to my computer.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x309/Zeeman28a/miscellaneous/pof_dl_file.jpg
 Fashen
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/9/2008 2:42:13 AM
So what it's trying to install a file it needs on this site I can't tell from a partial screen.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:34:12 AM
see the tab that reads "more information"

click on it and tell us what it reads

using internet explorer is probably the reason, maybe it is missing some plugin for the adverts, suspect it might require flash player as IE does not come with flash player

try firefox 3 and see if the same thing happens :)
 tridigee
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:44:37 AM
That bar isn't related to plugins, it means that something is trying to send you a file (like an .exe to install some program). When IE7 first came out, a lot of sites would cause it to trigger, but most sites have since learned how to make their system work without doing that. It comes up when a file is told to download without a user action, like clicking on the link for it.

Even if you click on "Download file" all it will tell you is what file it is and do you want to open it or save it or cancel.

As far as I can remember, Firefox will just ask you what to do with the file, but at least you would know what the file is then. I don't know why POF would be needing you to download a file, so it's probably either from an ad or some malware on your computer is causing it.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 14
 mydstny1
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:16:36 PM
More Information just brings up the Windows Help Screen. Same as pushing F1.
 mydstny1
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:17:22 PM

Even if you click on "Download file" all it will tell you is what file it is and do you want to open it or save it or cancel.

No it doesn't. It just makes the bar go away.
 mydstny1
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:20:12 PM

Related Links: Browsers: POF site wants to download File

Took a look thru. Even if I don't click install, POF still works. I just browse to another page or refresh the current page. And I seem to get the install request just by clicking on profiles or links to other pages.
 mydstny1
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:21:57 PM

So what it's trying to install a file it needs on this site I can't tell from a partial screen.

That is all I get. If I click Download, the bar goes away. If I click on More Information or Help, the Windows Help screen comes up, same as pressing F1. Which in this case is really no help.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/9/2008 5:51:31 PM
You are using Internet Explorer ... Malware Hive ... what can I say I haven't already said?

You continue to ask Questions but don't actually follow any of the Recommendations. Your Infopath is still running in the Background and you haven't yet logged on with another Browser.

Related Links:Internet Explorer, Vulnerabilities & HijackThis
11% of Users have "Funwebproducts" installed
 RomanticScholar1
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/10/2008 10:09:47 AM
Periodically, I receive a 'Download Warning' message too:

File Name: valueclick.jc
File Type: JScript Script File

'This type of file couyld harm your computer if it it contains malicious code. Do you want to open/save this file.' I click 'Cancel' and the warning goes away.

The 'same file' is offered to me every time the warning comes up but only when I am on POF. When I click 'More info,' it takes me to the Win 2000 Help page. I have active anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall programs running.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/10/2008 1:26:26 PM
File Name: valueclick.jc

Its ValueClick Behavioral Targeting Technology.

The Solutions are right here. Take or leave it. For all Browsers, update your Hosts File.

Related Links »Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts File
Hostman Ad Blocking File

For Firefox, there are numerous Ad Blocker Add-ons.

Related Links:Firefox: How to block Ads
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 4:33:31 PM
used to have an extensive hosts file on the xp box and probably still do, not used it onthe vista box, but not suffer from phantom downloads either

the firefox adblock seems to block valueclick stuff, but if the OP wants to carry on using IE, then there are risks, best way is to deny access to the file if must have IE
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > What is POF trying to install on my computer?