Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Detroit mayor train wreck      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 veloise
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Detroit mayor train wreckPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Sure is hard to stay away from the Detroit Free Press web site, freep dot com, these days.

In a nutshell, the young, promising, charismatic mayor has gotten himself into a bit of a problem.
--He and (female) chief of staff fired a couple of police investigators
--The cops took it to court. He and chief of staff swore, under oath, that they were not having an affair.
--Cops' lawsuit suddenly settled out of court; City had to pay $9m to the cops
--Free Press discovered text messages -- literally thousands of them -- between the two suggesting otherwise ("I'm in room 115 of XXX motel, see you soon")
--Mayor takes off to Florida home, hides
--Mayor returns, does a public "apology" with devoted wife by his side, plays the race card
--Mayor flies to be a guest speaker for a King Day event; motel bill includes a "couples' massage" and other friendly stuff; his wife was home in Detroit
--Mayor's good friend found to have been awarded contracts for City business
--Last week two sheriff deputies attempted to serve a subpoena on that friend; mayor shoved one officer (assault), made insulting race-based comments to the other one
--Wayne county judge laid out some rules: no out-of-state travel, drug tests (he was not understanding why this allegedly intelligent person was behaving so erratically).
--Mayor decided to attend a meeting with the city of Windsor...in Ontario, Canada, without notifying the court
--Judge remanded mayor to Wayne County jail yesterday; he was released today
--State attorney general charged mayor with assault

It's not about the affair or the text messages. Local media, public officials at all levels, and the citizens are calling for Kwame Kilpatrick to resign. (Detroit city council does not have the authority to remove him; only our governor does, and she has expedited that process just last week, stating that anything that makes Michigan seem more challenged is not good.)

For me it feels like the summer of 1974 all over again. What did this high-ranking public official know, and when did he know it?

(I worked for the city's planning & development department during 2003, moving on to a higher-paying job, and moving away from the area in 2004.)
 FearlessFreep
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Detroit mayor train wreck
Posted: 8/8/2008 10:11:28 PM
For the next Detroit mayor, I nominate Elmore Leonard! (He's single-handedly made the city cool again.)
 Slightly_Stoopid
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2008 10:27:18 PM
I'm waiting patiently for the obligatory Obama "this is not the man I once knew" soundbite to come out

All kidding aside, maybe there is a city that can come close to competing with Chicago for dirty crappy politicians! I mean, assault! Here we don't assault people ourselves, we have enough common sense to hire the mob to do our assaulting for us!
 Mr H2O
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/9/2008 1:06:40 AM
It's a shame especially with renewed EcoTourism the rebirth of Downriver area

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/video/brightside_7.html
 veloise
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 6:17:53 AM
FearlessFreep, what's with your handle? (Wonder where you could get a T-shirt that references part of it.)

Point of correction: K2 is now facing ten felony charges (two more were added yesterday). According to my favorite newspaper's website, the city charter requires that if convicted, he'd automatically be gone.
"Kilpatrick was charged with two counts of assaulting or obstructing a police officer in the furtherance of duty for allegedly shoving a sheriff's deputy into the deputy's partner on July 24. The felony charges against the mayor each carry a penalty of up to 2 years in prison upon conviction. If he is convicted of a felony, he would automatically be removed from office."

I hope he resigns soon so that I can spend my on-line time writing profile reviews and fishing, rather than rubbernecking this crash scene.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/9/2008 11:49:28 AM
People complain about K2 traveling but perhaps they quickly forget about Dennis Archer

Black grass-roots organizations had sentiment against Dennis Archer calling him
an absentee mayor who has made more than 200 trips out of town while the city
services go unmanaged and city employees continue to work without a contract.

The catch , Archer was smarter than K2, in fact Dennis Archer was President of American Bar Association for a while.
Archer was named one of the "25 Most Dynamic Mayors in America" by Newsweek magazine.

The people of Detroit threw that ALL away and elected K2--they deserve what they got.
K2's first term included a $300 million budget deficit, hundreds of layoffs,
scrutiny over his use of a city credit card, city lease of a luxury SUV for his family
and feud with a television reporter.

FearlessFreep
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 4:55:17 PM
"FearlessFreep, what's with your handle? (Wonder where you could get a T-shirt that references part of it.)"

It comes from the Warner Brothers cartoon HIGH DIVING HARE, where Yosemite Sam came to see Fearless Freep's high-diving act but FF didn't show up, so Sam made Bugs Bunny do it instead, except Bugs kept tricking Sam into taking the fall...

Yosemite Sam: "FEARLESS FREEP?! That's my boy!" (fires off his six-shooters)
 Mr H2O
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:24:51 PM
Perhaps Detroit City Council President Ken C*ckrel Jr. is the next mayor ?

We just had a ""hip-hop""mayor and I hope we don't get "basketball" mayor i.e. NBA star Dave Bing.

I'm also curious to see if Deputy Mayor Kandia Milton has any shot at the permanent position.

The Windsor Star had an interesting article on the K2 situation.
Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was spotted poolside in Niagara Falls
just two days before the visit across the border to Windsor .
http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story.html?id=cf29bdc6-4dcd-4995-860d-b5bdd0de5f6f
 OneBlend
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2008 11:50:14 PM

It's a shame especially with renewed EcoTourism the rebirth of Downriver area

What's a shame is that he did nothing for the inner city or the slums. What's a shame is how he traveled around like "big shit" needing more "body guards" than a damn president. What's a shame is his after-hour blind pigs in the warehouse district. What's a shame is his above the law mentality. What's a shame is we all know he had something to do with the murder of the dancer (from the manoogian party) and will probably get away with it or steal more money from the city's taxpayers to settle out of court. What's a shame is he was elected twice after people of the city knew he was scandalous.

Just my observation.
 brunettemiss01
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/10/2008 12:39:02 AM
Kilpatrick is a disgrace! His wife is a fool for staying with him. Her doing so in my opinion shows that she condones his cheating. He sets a very poor example for his young sons. It's them I feel sorry for, not Kwame or his wife. He needs to start taking responsibility for his negative actions and do the right thing and step down. He's unfit for the job.
 OneBlend
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 1:51:28 AM

Kilpatrick is a disgrace! His wife is a fool for staying with him.

You can bet his wife reaped some good benefits from his scandalous behavior.

Kwame ran a reelection campaign asking voters' to forgive him for lying about his spending, his use of city credit cards for expensive out-of-town travels and a city lease of a luxury SUV for his wife and claimed that the media was out to get him.
But the question is, why didn’t it all matter in the end? http://smithfiles.com/2008/03/24/kwames-democrat-12-count-charges-his-mom/

Good video for those who are not familiar with this thug.
http://smithfiles.com/2008/03/24/kwames-democrat-12-count-charges-his-mom/

And the family of the slain dancer:
http://www.pearlswindow.com/2008/04/14-year-old-son-of-murdered-detroit.html

I hear someone is selling coffee mugs with Kwame's mugshot on it ...
 veloise
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2008 8:15:36 AM
^^there's a bunch of Kwame parody schwag on the auction sites and the make-your-own T-shirt places.

The one time I saw K2 live, it was at a small luncheon in a building. Controlled space. They made sure everyone was seated, and then announced him. He walked in surrounded by bodyguards, just like Elvis. One of the bodyguards sat at my table (up by the podium) and stared at the boss the whole time. (He's not the threat. Why aren't you looking at the crowd?)

In dramatic contrast, a couple years ago I was volunteering at our local (second-largest city in Michigan) fireworks festivities. Our state governor was there for the 6 pm start, and the welcome by our mayor. This was outdoors, in a park next to the museum where Gerald Ford is now buried.

Security consisted of tables, chairs, E-Z Up canopies and rental tents marking off the VIP area. At the entrance, they had a highway barricade and police line tape between a couple of light poles. The gov was walking around by herself, interacting with the volunteers. I did not see any official security. She was posing for pics, with her arm around the lucky citizen.

After her welcome speech, she walked through the crowd shaking hands and hugging people. Security consisted of two (2) GRPD officers standing a respectable distance away and watching the crowd take turns greeting her.

K2 is a former football player, 6'-something tall, 250+ lbs. The gov is 5'6" (my height) and perhaps 130 lbs (she's a runner). She's in charge of the whole state (there are nutjobs in places other than Detroit). Who really "needs" the phlanx of bodyguards?

It's probably also worth mentioning that our GR mayor lives on a street less than a mile from me...no fencing or SUVs, no police patrols, no bodyguards. After last year's primary, I was riding downtown, and saw him out collecting his own campaign signs, by himself.
 Mr H2O
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/10/2008 11:22:13 PM
K2's bodyguards' need bodyguards with all their shenanigans and misconduct

Kwame Kilpatrick was named one of America's worst mayors by TIME in 2005.
---Unemployment stands at roughly 14% in the city.
-- About 47% of the city's residents over age 16 are functionally illiterate

as written by By STEVEN GRAY/DETROIT, Thursday, Sep. 20, 2007--TIME

Perhaps K2 had a reason to be scared...........
 lookinatit
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/11/2008 6:56:24 PM
Was he a Democrat too?
 OneBlend
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2008 10:18:02 PM
Yes, he is a democrat but keeping it real, it just goes to show greed and deceit have no partisan discrimination. The same mentality to elect Bush for a second term existed here with Kwame. You knew he was a thug, but you did it anyway. How sad. Looks like he'll spend some time in jail but if it were common folk like you or I, we'd be looking at a long, long time. By the way, I believe it was time that also rated him right up there w/ GW as far as being a criminal politician.
 Strongdad
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/12/2008 11:37:18 PM
K2 is only one of a bunch of bananas. Google Mayor Omar Bradley of Compton CA. He was exactly the same as K2. In fact, the entire city council there was corrupt. The state and feds shut them all down a few years ago.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2006/brad082606.htm

There are many more articles out there.

Take a look at L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Another Democrat Mayor who was caught in an affair with a Telemundo news anchor. He has had to move out of the Mayor's mansion, as his wife continues living there. Seems you can sometimes take the boy out of the hood, but can't take the hood out of the boy.

SD
 veloise
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2008 9:19:48 PM
Wow, today was quite the adventure. One judge negated the travel and wearing the tether, "sure, you need to go to the Democratic convention." Quickly followed by another judge saying, "no, you don't have authority to do that, the tether stays, and K2 does too, in Wayne-Oakland-Macomb."

Then Obama's staff announces that they don't want K2 at the convention.

McFail asks the gov for a pardon, and the response comes back: you can't pardon someone with only charges filed, has to be a conviction first. (Can't believe that Ms Electric Chair is an attorney.)

Oh, and he's on vacation, then he's not. Sheesh, just go to the CAY and put your feet up like always, try to stay out of more trouble.

Bets are K2 won't last through Labor Day.
 veloise
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:08:36 AM
"McCain wants to send Kwame a thank-you card, but he doesn't know which court room to send it to."
--found on the Freep postings
 Mr H2O
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/16/2008 12:14:55 PM
Kwame M. Kilpatrick interactive relationship map and social graph

http://www.muckety.com/Kwame-M-Kilpatrick/5043.muckety

Kwame M. Kilpatrick personal relations:
Ayanna Benson - cousin
Bobby Ferguson - friend
Carlita Kilpatrick - spouse
Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick - mother
Kandia Milton - chief of staff
Patricia Peoples - cousin
Dan Webb - attorney

Other current Kwame M. Kilpatrick relationships:
2008 Democratic National Convention - super delegate
Detroit Economic Club - director
Detroit (MI) - mayor
Michigan vs. Kwame Kilpatrick et al - charged with perjury & misconduct

Kwame M. Kilpatrick past relationships:
Christine Beatty - chief of staff & romantic interest
Lou Beatty - friend
Detroit Cass Technical High School - student
Conrad L. Mallett Jr. - transition director
Harold Nelthrope - bodyguard
 Strongdad
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/16/2008 12:30:22 PM
Kilpatrick, Spitzer, Edwards, Villaraigosa, Wexler....

Not a good year for Dems to be so steeped in so many scandals. Yet, we keep hearing about toe tapping in a mens room.

Funny stuff.

SD
 slybandit
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 5:54:30 PM
Although this may sound odd coming from someone in Canada (not even Windsor, at that) let's just say that I have very good sources for the statement I'm about to make.

Veloise's "nutshell" description would be better characterized as the tip-of-the-iceberg.

I have it on fairly good authority that the FBI have been investigating Mr. Kilpatrick's "administration" (if such a word can legitimately be used in describing what the Kilpatrick 'posse' have been up to since he was sworn in), for good reason, more or less since he was sworn in.

Sorry not to be offering further details, because I do not want to inadvertently identify anyone.

It is enough to say that if you think that the stuff which has come out in the press so far is shocking...you ain't seen nothin' yet, my friends.
 slybandit
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 5:58:21 PM
And everyone who lives in Detroit who is reading this should look at the video clips Oneblend has posted.

To reiterate: this is tip-of-the-iceberg.
 veloise
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2008 4:41:17 AM
Just as you predicted, the depths are starting to come out in the Freep.
Also some creative public commentary, posted various places in the city. While I don't like the idea of defacing traffic signs, the
STOP
Kwame
stencil is great.
 ValerieOP
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/21/2008 8:44:56 PM
I would like to see everyone related to him turned out of public life.
And that is a shocking large number of people. Nobody ever publicizes nepotism.

Starting with his mom. Unfortunately, the Democratic party, once again, doesn't have their act together. Three candidates opposed her in the primary, Kwame's Mommie earned well less than 51%, but because of our archaic vote-counting system, a candidate with minority support is once again declared the winner.

Now our only real hopeof unseating her is the underfunded and underorganized Green Party.
www.gp.org
 veloise
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2008 8:18:26 PM
No DNC trip for Kwame. (Gosh, what a shame.)
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Detroit mayor train wreck