Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Are men getting more addicted to online dating and cyber sex instead      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dwinottawa
Msg: 1
Are men getting more addicted to online dating and cyber sex instead of actually dating?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I met I guy I really liked. We met for coffee, then made plans to meet again. He canceled. We kept talking, made another date, then he canceled again. Always a reasonable excuse. We meet again, over coffee again, and the attraction is defnitely there. Then he starts talking about web cams; he has one, and I should get one so we could see each other on line. Then he mentions sex over the cam. What's up with that? Can't a guy meet and date, and maybe a find a real relationship with a real woman, instead of wanting sex online. Are guys getting addicted to this stuff, and wasting a lot of our time? Should they not at least acknowledge on their profile they're looking for an activity partner, not dating or long term? By the way, I refuse to get a web cam, so in future, don't even ask.
 The Magician
Msg: 2
Are men getting more addicted to online dating and cyber sex instead of actually dating?
Posted: 8/15/2008 9:01:21 PM
Seems to me that you have had coffee with someone with a mental deficiency.

My first response to this type of behavior would be http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/The_Magician_2006/Smilies/voodoo.gif . This seems to be becoming the norm, or at least a greater percentage of the on-line presence, and you really must sort out the wheat from the chaff when dealing with dating electronically. Just watch this, when replying to invites from the web,

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m163/The_Magician_2006/Smilies/BS-Meter.gif

Seriously, though, the guy sounds like a person who has problems. Unless you are willing to be an enabler, move on.
 MMORPGRTSFPS
Msg: 3
Are men getting more addicted to online dating and cyber sex instead of actually dating?
Posted: 8/15/2008 11:52:48 PM
Wouldn't judge all guys based on the one.

Personally, I much rather do things in person. Body language and voice afflection are so important. You are missing out of so much just by talking on the phone and even more just through typing.

I find the same thing though, women who are not eager to meet up.

I guess maybe it's just some people on the site. Neither sex in general.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:37:49 AM
Hey Magician,

Thanks for the guy being mentally deficient comment. That kind of behavior is a problem for me, so yes, I have moved on.

D.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:44:54 AM
Yes mmorgqrtsfps, I imagine it is the same with women as with men. They don't have to worry about anything but themselves and their gratification. Here's to real life, not cyber life.

D.
 bigjd-rockin
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:48:31 AM
Not at all.
Although,I am better with my words online then in person when I am getting to know somebody. My shyness gets in the way and makes me a little more careful and also causes difficulty with eye contact when I am around someone I don't know. However,I have very little shyness online,and have easier time expressing my views on things and it tends to allow me to create better conversation. I prefer dating anytime it happens anyday than being online however.
 Greanize
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:59:53 AM
I get so fed up with that 'Do you have a web cam?' Sh!t!
I do have a web cam and I do use it.....to talk to my son who lives in Alberta, and other family members who are not local. But what frosts my p!ss is when some guy you talk to asks if you have a webcam and would you turn it on and show him something....even when he does NOT have a cam!
I have even turned on my cam for possible dating interests so they can see I am who I am in my photos, but when they start to ask to pan lower, I show them how I can curse like a sailor!

So yes...in my experience, I do see more men who want cyber sex instead of actually dating!
 My I
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/16/2008 8:45:22 AM
My piss doesn't frost but, I do understand your dilemma.

I think the problem is that many people behave/encourage this behaviour without realising they have done so. Text is rather ambiguous in it's intent/context. So, when flirting online it can be misconstrued as encouragement to be the way the OP mentioned.
I've never cammed... never had a cam. But, I like the idea of being able to frost someone's piss online....am I being challenged?
 dwinottawa
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:05:37 AM
I understand about being shy, I'm shy myself. That's part of the fun, learning about each other, becoming comfortable with each other. It's scary and exciting at the same time. It doesn't take me much to blush, online or in person. But I will tell you this guy was not shy, not in the least. Personally I think, in this case, it was a fear about really getting to know someone. Superficial is just easier, and you can fool around more. No strings, no comittment. And lots of women out there who are willing to oblige.

D.
 Leeanne
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2008 12:32:41 PM
I understand why that bugs you OP - 'cause it's not for you - it's not 'your thing'!
However one thing that people have to keep in mind is that - behaviour like that exists. There are open opportunities to get involved in that sort of behaviour all the time - many people like it! If it's not for you - move on! Simple - why even discuss it? Let these people do what they want to do and find yourself someone who doesn't upset you.
 skylynxx
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/16/2008 7:31:39 PM
Maybe its because guys don't have to pay for it like they have to in real life.
 Dr. Gazebo
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/17/2008 12:54:49 PM
The longer you stay on here the worse your view of men will become. This is a free sight, no screening. So the incidence of foolishness is much higher. Dont get jaded. Take some time away from messaging and get some perspective. If all I knew about women was based on my time on the forums, I would just give up. Remember, anyone can join these sites, so theres an above average chance of running into a cyber freak.
 peace~101
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/17/2008 1:22:03 PM
as long as there is no screening for people that get jaded easily or are not foolish by nature, as long as yo mama didnt raise a quitter and washed yer mouth out for saying AWESOME all day long then im sure anyone really could join up for the free life. maybe even come up with a cool handle.
 peace~101
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/17/2008 2:10:06 PM
the next thing ya know people will be referring to online dating as an industry. god help us all.
 someonetookmyname
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/18/2008 11:15:03 AM
I cant speak for the rest of the men on or off this site but this is something I dont involve myself with . I have never asked a female to Cam me nor would I ... cant say the label feels that great , just cause one or two do it dont mean we all do or want to for that matter .
 baldingguy49
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/18/2008 12:32:37 PM
I don't get it. Cybering vs. the real thing. It's lost on me. I'm one of those people who do better face-to-face than email etc. From what I gather plenty of people (both sexes) can be quite jaded as more time is spent in this internet dating environment.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:03:03 PM
Well I must say I'm impressed with a lot of the feedback from all you guys, and gals. It's good to see the majority still believe in the real thing. Another question though, why the heck don't you guys live closer to me??? LOL

I'm not jaded, yet anyway. Just wondering what the view was on this, because I've certainly met my fair share of these guys, and I've only on POF been a few weeks. I just ran across another one today. But I've also met a couple of guys who, though no serious connection, remain friends.

So thanks for answering my question. That's what I put it out there for. You've all been great so far.
 anitap
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:47:14 PM
I think men who date online can become addicted to it because it is an easier way of communicating to someone online even though you dont hear their voice or see them. It is a lazy way of meeting people who may not all be sincere. The actual dating can create more anxiety because you meet face to face but it is better in the long run to know someone live. Then you can decide if you want to see the person again. Online, someone can be married, involved in criminal activity and can hide it.
 angelfire75
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/18/2008 6:41:29 PM

Well I must say I'm impressed with a lot of the feedback from all you guys, and gals. It's good to see the majority still believe in the real thing. Another question though, why the heck don't you guys live closer to me??? LOL

I wouldn't believe everything you read either - unfortunately. I can say firsthand that someone, who posted here is full of s hit.
 TABBS
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 10:11:25 AM

I wouldn't believe everything you read either - unfortunately. I can say firsthand that someone, who posted here is full of s hit.

^^^^ and i can say that, that remark reeks of flaming, which personally having met u, i am suprised at. dont forget there are three sides to every story sweetheat...yours, his and the truth.

OT: i think they get more addicted to the next best thing, so they keep trading in.
that or they dont want to settle down.
that applies to women as well as men.
 angelfire75
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/19/2008 3:40:44 PM
^^^ actually the remarks reek of truth. And yes I have no doubt the truth surprises you.....maybe denial? No three sides when you see it for yourself....sweetheart...it's call fact.
 My I
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/19/2008 3:55:47 PM

No three sides when you see it for yourself....sweetheart...it's call fact.

^^ This oughta get interesting.

I'm not addicted to anything online. However, I like it when I can't hear her voice and I can imagine it to be a sexy, sultry, Jessica Rabbit kinda voice. A phone call/audio link usually ruins my fantasy.

So... it's not an addiction, it's a preference.
NOBODY CALL ME!!!!!!!!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2008 4:59:56 PM
Oh chit MI!
You just blew my night's worth of fun....*stomps feet* and meanders over to someone else's profile! lmao....
 dwinottawa
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/19/2008 7:34:22 PM
Well I can assure you MI that I won't call you, even if you gave me your number

I'm told I sound like Demi Moore, so it's your loss anyway. When I whisper in somebody's ear, they enjoy it. You guys who don't want the real thing will never know. Keep cybering.
 My I
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/19/2008 8:14:05 PM
Well I can assure you MI that I won't call you, even if you gave me your number

I'm told I sound like Demi Moore, so it's your loss anyway. When I whisper in somebody's ear, they enjoy it. You guys who don't want the real thing will never know. Keep cybering

I wouldn't expect someone somehow associated with Demi would call someone my age. Thank goodness for cybering.....

See? It's women's fault - you're all in denial - lol.

By the way... what are you whispering in their ear? A lullaby?
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Are men getting more addicted to online dating and cyber sex instead of actually dating?