Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Why are you here?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Greanize
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why are you here?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
We all have our own reasons why we are here. Some want to date, some want to make friends, some want a relationship, some want to attend the many awesome parties, and some just want to be on the forums and interact with the good peeps here.
I am one of those people that seek friends only at this time and 'frankly' I get so darn tired of having to justify that to 'potential suitors'!
Frequently, I get messaged or emailed by someone asking if I want to meet, (no preamble) and when I say, I am here for friends only, some get testy and say...well, why are you here?
I know I don't have to explain or justify my reasons. What amazes me are the amount of people that do not know of the social side of this site! So when I say I am here for friends, parties, and keep intouch with some great peeps, I get flack!
How do any of you handle these kinds of approaches if someone gets 'testy' over your choices and reasons?
 Leeanne
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 9:03:17 AM
How do any of you handle these kinds of approaches if someone gets 'testy' over your choices and reasons?

Block and delete! You never have to justify yourself to anyone! They can have their opinion - but they certainly cannot tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing!

edit (below) hehehe Iv'e done that too - especially if I'm in a 'mood'!! :)
 MMORPGRTSFPS
Msg: 3
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 9:05:44 AM
Women are too nice. I'd make them do stupid things to see how many stupid things I could get them to do.
Think "naughty, dirty things".
 .Lisa
Msg: 4
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:30:54 AM
to be honest with you.... It started as finding a relationship, to friends, to forums into I have no idea lol
 skylynxx
Msg: 5
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:33:09 AM
Im here because my parents did it in July of 1972 !
 Mayor
Msg: 6
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:34:05 AM

i'm a guy, so i don't run in to this often to really worry about, women are always sooo polite when they call me a jerk lol but ignore works well
 skylynxx
Msg: 7
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 10:35:02 AM
Im here because my parents did it in July of 1972 !
 Lady_hpm
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 12:49:12 PM
mid 40's and tired of being alone,and not afraid to admit it
 bigjd-rockin
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 2:23:07 PM
(We all have our own reasons why we are here. Some want to date, some want to make friends, some want a relationship, some want to attend the many awesome parties, and some just want to be on the forums and interact with the good peeps here.)

All of the above. I am here to make friends online. I would also like to find that special someone eventually to spend spare time with. I also have a history of interacting in forums on other websites about various topics.
 nascar3fan
Msg: 10
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:47:55 PM
Skylynxx are you trying to tell us your parents did it twice in July 1972?

I'm here because there are good people here. I'm trying to find a few more, or maybe just one.
I write on the forums to amuse myself and enjoy seeing other people amused.
I read the forums because some times I don't read anything funnier that day.
Most of why I am here is for humour purposes.

Only one person ever got testy with me as to what my motives were. She is still the only person I've ever purposefully blocked.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 11
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:52:14 PM
I'm here because I want to meet that someone special to spend the rest of my life with. I don't go to bars, though I do attend some social events. I do plan on attending some of the POF socials.

Some of you know I'm pretty new at this, but all the same, it doesn't take long to become indoctrinated into the bizarre side of this site. That being said, my sister found the man she is going to marry here, so maybe I will have that same kind of luck. I have also started reading the forums. Lots of interesting things to read about, lots of opinions, lots of laughs.

I don't think anyone need explain why they are here, and I do think some people should really read the spot in our profiles that says what kind of people should not contact us. But it certainly does make life interesting at times, LOL. So here's to enjoying being here, whatever the reason.

By the way, for the short time I've been on here, I have become very familiar with the delete and block options. Works wonders.
 izombie77
Msg: 12
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 3:55:20 PM
I like getting flamed in the forums. I also like to see how many emails I can send and watch get deleted : ) I do like this site though. The general purpose of it is awesome. So as long as it is fun and I meet a few cool people that's fine with me..
 VainH
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 5:14:56 PM
I like pissing people off. Not to flame them (usually ) , just to get them to reconsider their stupid preconceptions. Other than that, the old forum I posted at was going downhill and eventually died. I needed somewhere to talk at people.

Are you guys saying this is also a dating site?
 My I
Msg: 14
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 5:28:57 PM

I like pissing people off. Not to flame them (usually ) , just to get them to reconsider their stupid preconceptions.

And I am here just to tell vainh to reconsider his stupid preconceptions.... in a preconceived way.

Vainh? Reconsider your purpose for being here.

mission accomplished
 ma lookin
Msg: 15
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 6:51:09 PM
I started off being on POF to meet that special someone......... Well over the last few years i have dated a few men off of the site but nothing became serious. So i started to go to parties and meet men and woman., and i am so happy that i have attended these parties, Because i have met some of the most amazing men and woman. Then i started to co-host events and now i host events. I love meeting all kinds of new people. I host and go to these events with no expectations. Just to have fun. So recently i went to a camping event and met a wonderful man., so i am on the next page of my life on POF... i have met friends and now hopefully i have met that special someone..... time will tell.....
 Celticmist
Msg: 16
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/21/2008 11:18:00 PM

We all have our own reasons why we are here. Some want to date, some want to make friends, some want a relationship, some want to attend the many awesome parties, and some just want to be on the forums and interact with the good peeps here.

- all of the above, and so far it's been a lot of fun, I 've made a whole bunch of new friends male and female, dated a few nice men, and the odd not so nice man, posted in the forums, laughed a lot, gone to a lot of POF events, and plan to go to more.
 Diggy03
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/22/2008 10:33:44 AM
Hmmm.... I first joined with a preconceived notion of finding true love.... until I met some people in person.

Mind you there are some I'd LOVE to meet in person (no names will be given) and one day I hope to meet them.... they have become friends online.

Now I come around for the forums, to put my 2 cents where it shouldn't be.

This place is addictive. How can you not keep coming back especially for the forums???

Mae B
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/22/2008 11:41:25 AM
I'm here nowadays for self amusement in many forms.

Funny, I smiled when I saw the posts of the people I know.. Lisa, diggy,leeanne, greanize, & My I to name a few.
The forums & their discussions, stupidity of some and good points of others amuse me moreso than why I originally joined.
 howling_at_the_moon
Msg: 19
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:19:34 AM
I can't say that there is just one reason why I am here. Originally, I came here smarting from a bad brake up and was looking to jump right back into a relationship. Obviously, that wasn't the best solution. Now, I'm here just to meet people and see what happens.
There's more to it that simply meeting a guy and hopefully falling in love and being like I found the one, though. There's also the fact that I'm learning alot about myself and what I want, what I can live with and what I can't live without. Then there are the friendships that I'm making.
I've recently discovered the forums and they add a whole new element. The allow me to see that other people have the same concerns. It's a great chance to get strangers opinions about your problems, questions and concerns. As Mae B stated yes there is a certain amount of self amusement involved as well.
 Greanize
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 8:39:56 AM
There are a lot of great responses here about why people are here, but I think a lot of you did not get what I was really asking. It is the 'snotty' "Why are you here?' question one gets when you tell them you are not here to date or have a relationship.
Block and delete is some peoples response to that kind of attitude, but I tend to be a bit more forgiving and do not hit that block button unless the person becomes rude or obnoxious.
 bluenight
Msg: 21
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 10:11:03 AM
While naturally we are here too find True Love , but finding well it's up too the person to pursue it . And for what I have seen on and off this site , just goes to show you how much love and support there is .. iT MIGHT not be chemistry but sure we have a great time trying too find it .A lot tells the attitude with each person u meet . But generally we loose interest , and like most we move on .It's in it self that we tend too keep our true friends that we encounter . We find a lot of rude people but we expect that , cause it's just life and we can't do a thing about it ..Like it says each of us have our expectations and look at life the way we want .. Take a chance , and never regret sooner or later we will find the beauty of it all ... A little advice be yourself cause their's nothing you can do with your appearance our your personality that makes you as a person ..Shake your Booties and express your true colors ...And Be the person that you a in tended too be ... Think Positive about your self and You will have attitude that people will either adore you our think differently about you .. There are people I have never met in person , but I have read there post , and yes we have had the opportunity to actually meet them in person just from posting . AKA bluenight
 JohnyPhoto
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 11:35:27 AM
I'm on here for a variety of reasons. I originally came onboard seeking dates and the opportunity to meet some nice local women or to make some nice friends in Kingston since I'd just moved here for work (Canadian Forces).

Over the years, been messaged by quite a number of "special" cases which had made me think twice about being on sites like this one but in the one, I may as well keep the door open. Someone decent might show up... might... I find this is a great outlook to meet new friends and out of those, one can become more if things work out. Otherwise, you just have a lot of friends, both in the real life or online or a mix of both.

Forums are pretty entertaining too, lots of good reads and a few worthwhile subjects to respond to.
 justadude247
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 1:17:51 PM
I would think that iam here to try and meet a compatible person to go one dates with and dancing etc but it seems kinda hard sense there is alot of crap also but i would guess you need to go threw alot of people before you meet the right person to spend time with you. well atleast i hope its that way anyways.
 dwinottawa
Msg: 24
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/23/2008 1:19:21 PM
I don't know why people behave the way they do, especially when making the first contact with another person. But I have a thought on your situation, which may or may not make sense, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Maybe the you get that snotty "Why are you here?" question because you are a beautiful woman. And when a man sees a beautiful woman, he wants to get to know her. Perhaps when you say you are not here to date and have a relationship it's a defence mechamism. Maybe they feel rejected, and use it to annoy you, or try to hurt you. Their hopes have been dashed, so it's only natural that some, not all, but some will be snotty about it. And when it's done online, there's really no consequence in being a jerk.

Come on guys, what do you think? Seriously, who else would know better than you guys. I know it's not just a guy thing, many women can behave the same way, probably even worse.
 Lilbitcountry64
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Why are you here?
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:29:11 PM
Greanize ... I had the same reaction numerous times when my profile stated that I was not looking. I was not ready for a relationship but still enjoyed the community, companionship,forums and events. My solution was the same as yours. If there was no understanding of the concept, or continued bashing ... DELETE and BLOCK. No guilt felt at all
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Why are you here?