Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Where do single men volunteer?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pers14
Msg: 1
Where do single men volunteer?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hi everyone!

Did a thread search and didn't find my answer, so I'm hoping for some responses to my thread!

I haven't had much success here on PoF - met nice people, but no romance. I thought I'd try a different tack by volunteering - because I'd be doing something good with my time, and I could possibly meet new friends or a possible great guy in a less stressful setting than a date.

So, where do men volunteer in Canada (I'm in Ottawa, ON.)? Also, any other good suggestions for clubs or hobbies I should check out?

Many thanks!
 richard233
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Where do single men volunteer?
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:32:38 AM
I can't speak for the people at your location, but the first thing you need to decide
is your motivation. If it's to meet a guy, it will kind of distract from whatever good
that you may do.

I would think, generally, that any volunteer organization that has men volunteering
will have a higher proportion of single to married, if only because a married man is
more likely to have obligations to either his wife or children.

So, first, try and find some organization that you really feel is worth your time and
efforts. As long as it is not something along the lines of "lesbians against men" I
would think you find at least some men there.

As to clubs/hobbies, you would best served by finding something that interests you
so that you are not bored to tears waiting for a guy to show up, nor disapointed when
he wishes to continue his hobby.

May you find the one you seek,

Richard
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:43:11 AM
Men volunteer where their interests lie and their time will be appreciated.

I used to volunteer for Cub Scout events when my son was a Cub Scout,
One of my friends volunteers as an assistant coach for his sons little league team, another friend does volunteer work for his local church.

Can’t speak for your area, but I’m sure there are lots of places in your community that need volunteers, even if you do have ulterior motives.
 psssst
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:46:06 AM
Hunting clubs... wildlife rehabilitation... etc...
 Pers14
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:48:09 AM
Guys, just to clarify - I'm happy on my own, quite content, but lately I've been feeling a need to volunteer and give back (when I was teaching, I would volunteer for my school, so I miss that good feeling you get when you give of yourself and your time)

Meeting a great male friend would be wonderful (my dad died a year ago, and since I'm divorced - I just miss the presence of a man), and if that friendship 'caught on fire' - that's just gravy!

Thanks all for your responses :)
 KendotoneCP
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:55:33 AM
I volunteer on the Fire Squad. Theres a couple of other single guys I volunteer on.

If you have the time and the interest, volunteer on EMT...not only will you meet great people, but you'll also be learning some key items to survival and emergency care!
 Vancer
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:11:47 PM
The EMT suggestion is good. It'll help to know that anyway.
Also you could bump into big studly muffin ambulance driver trainees there.
 whitefether
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:20:59 PM
I used to be a docent (volunteer) at the Houston zoo, and there were a lot of guys that volunteered. And it is really, really fun!!

Sherry
 ~charmed~
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:33:39 PM
Scouting is a great choice!

Most adults involved are married but are great people. You get to work with youth of all ages and have a great time as well. Loving the great Outdoors is a must but you don't have to have any experience, there are many training courses.

Scouting in Canada is Coed. Just go on the Scouts Canada website and they can direct you to your area. From there find a group that sounds interesting. They are always in need of Leaders.

You can be as involved as you want.

Edit: I guess you now know what I do in my spare time...

~Charmed~
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:47:07 PM
I'm thinking of volunteering at the women's clinic! Or maybe with some single mom's support groups!

.... muahahaha!
 WanderingRain
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:56:08 PM
You may want to volunteer at soup kitchens.
It's not labor intensive and it is a decent thing to do.
But yeah, like the other posters said, it has to be something you are really into.
There must be a real shortage of men up there.
There's so many of you girls with awesome profiles up there in CAnada.

Good luck!
 867love
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:57:11 PM
is there any organization that insures the proper quantity of alcohol/pizza while listening to rock music and/or watching action dvds on huge hi-def screens?
-sign me up...
 meegway
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/26/2008 3:22:52 PM
Ottawa is a tremendous city with numerous volunteer opportunities. I personally volunteered for Cisco Ottawa Blues Fest this year and enjoyed it so much I will likely do it again next year. I may even try the Jazz Fest as well. There are so many to choose from you could try any of the following events in Ottawa:

Blues Fest, Jazz Fest, Folk Fest, Winterlude, Dragonboat Race Fest, Ferrari Fest, Hope Volleyball Summer Fest, Canadian Tulip Festival, Carnival of Cultures to name a few. I guess it all depends on what you enjoy. I find the Blues Fest provides an awesome atmosphere and you get to go to any of the shows free if you do six, 4 hr shifts. In addition to that they had Algonquin College Culinary students cooking up great meals at no cost to you, they throw a banquet 2 weeks after it's over and another at Christmas, and you get discounts on concerts throughout the year. Couldn't ask for more than that could you?

Mike
 Just Cowboy
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/26/2008 4:57:12 PM

So, where do men volunteer in Canada (I'm in Ottawa, ON.)? Also, any other good suggestions for clubs or hobbies I should check out?

Um... we don't, actually.

Well, most of us don't. Depends on the kind of guy you're looking for. Checking out your profile, I'd say "get thee hence to Westboro". Get your MEC pass, cruise Bushtuka, do the strip there. Always an opportunity to grab a passing cute guy when you're in MEC and say "could you show me where the kayak/hiking/rock climbing shoes are?"

Some nice pubs along there, too, point in fact, couple of nice coffee shops.

Good luck darlin' ;-).

Cowboy
 Plastic Sturgeon
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/26/2008 5:36:32 PM
I know some people arn't going to like this much, but I have found
that some volunteer organizations are staffed by people seriously
lacking social skills! Sure some may be there to genuinely help, but
many seem to be there because they are not employable! I have also
seen too many stupid little power struggles in places like this. These
things just killed my enthusiasm and volunteer spirit!

Get a part time job as a waitress at a truck stop! lol
 Bk2
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/26/2008 6:05:55 PM
Hi Pers...

Sorry to hear about your Dad -hope you are doing all right!

Seems most of them are covered above.....might be some repeats but some are as follows: check with your city, chamber of commerce, economic development corporation......online, news papers etc... I am sure you will find something that would interest you. Many people do the hospital thing....meals on wheels...etc...too..

Hope that helps...

O:)

PS joining up the local gym is a great way to meet some friends....
 AndalusiaJoey
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/26/2008 6:12:19 PM
Eh? DO men volunteer?
 Plastic Sturgeon
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:00:35 PM
Helping animals is always best!

Although it can be just as disheartening, and isn't for everyone!
 Mish_Man
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/26/2008 7:48:41 PM
How about something like Habitat for Humanity? You'll help build a house for a family in need, and construction type jobs have been known to draw a guy or two ... the only thing about it is that in Canada I guess it can get cold ...
 CanadianBeef
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/26/2008 8:05:40 PM
In my experience not many men volunteer...I tried at the humane society years ago and I was the only guy...the rest were women and a few male doctors/vets or whatever.

Wanna know where lots of guys go and they are usually in decent shape at least...take Kick Boxing or something similar...all dudes...sausage party lots of testosterone...guys fight for your attention...literally.

Get your car fixed at a local garage...oil change frequently...again almost always guys...
 gnuru75
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:28:09 PM
The military. A lot of single men volunteer to join the military. You might want to hang out around military bases.
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 10:43:42 PM
Most of the same places women volunteer...find something you're interested in.

Amateur sports teams/leagues: soccer, hockey, soft ball, etc.
Political parties, special interest groups, etc.
Sporting events: golf, tennis and hockey tournaments, ski, bike and auto racing, marathons, etc.
Big Brothers, Junior Achievement, Boys and Girls Clubs, Make a Wish Foundation, etc.
Parades, protests, demonstrations, etc.
Car shows, boat shows, trade shows, etc.
Societies, clubs and organisations, etc.
Churches, hospices, food banks, mainstream medical charities, old folks' homes, etc.
Arts and music festivals; theatre, opera and ballet companies, amateur theatre groups, choirs, etc.
Multicultural/Ethnic festivals, immigrant relief, etc.

Etcetera...

http://www.volunteerottawa.ca
 Greyfeld
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:05:26 PM

Guys, just to clarify - I'm happy on my own, quite content, but lately I've been feeling a need to volunteer and give back (when I was teaching, I would volunteer for my school, so I miss that good feeling you get when you give of yourself and your time)

Meeting a great male friend would be wonderful (my dad died a year ago, and since I'm divorced - I just miss the presence of a man), and if that friendship 'caught on fire' - that's just gravy!

Uh huh. I'm just sure that your motivation for volunteering is to give to the community. Nevermind that you didn't ask what organization would benefit from your talents, or asked to help decide between charities X, Y, and Z. No, you came on here asking for the best place to volunteer to meet single guys.

So yeah, I totally believe you just want to find a place to give some of your free time, and men are totally just an afterthought.

Seriously, I wasn't going to say a thing about your original post, but then you had to try to clean it up later on. Sh*t, at least be honest.
 SherTenn
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:44:45 PM
> Also, any other good suggestions for clubs or hobbies I should check out?

Depends on how old you're looking for.. but I'd try

- Historical re-enactment groups, eh..?
- Miniature Wargames (see hobby stores, eh..?)
- Paintball clubs, eh..?
- go to hockey games, eh..?
- cross-country ski clubs, eh..?

Good luck, eh..?
 diggerchick
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/26/2008 11:50:16 PM
volunteer emr/emt, first u gota take the courses, and me personally, i like being paid EMS
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Where do single men volunteer?