Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do men flirt if they already have a girlfriend?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 romanfilmmaker
Msg: 1
Why do men flirt if they already have a girlfriend?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I know this question could easily be asked of women/ladies as well, so I'm not trying to single out the male species. And I know not ALL men and women flirt when they have a partner but I'm curious as to why.

Personally, when I'm seeing someone, I put up the barrier of unavailable. I'm nice and polite but not flirting.

Two really good young guys in my office who have girlfriends or who were in long relationships said, yes they would go out of their way to flirt with women they knew were into them despite have a girlfriend.

While I think it's hilairous, I'm kinda mystified as I have a brother in law who is upfront with ladies about being married to my sister.

PS This is not the outcome of my gym thread; outcome TBA.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do men flirt if they already have a girlfriend?
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:01:47 AM
In my case, flirting is how I interact with people ... I just can't help it. Its a part of who I am, and not something that I care to change about myself. Of course I always tell a girl when we start dating that this is the way I am and I am not gonna change, either learn to live with it and love it or hit the bricks!!
 Navigator6
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:03:22 AM
Let's see:
1) Ego
2) Immaturity (see #1)
3) Aren't happy with their present partner and are trolling
4) It's just their general nature to be social - which is often interpreted as "flirtatious" (been accused of that myself)

The list goes on & on & on...
Regardless, everyone has their own definition of "flirting" so, you would need to be a little more specific in what you're describing.
 romanfilmmaker
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:05:48 AM
Okay fair enough....some people are naturally flirty, that's okay

....but would you got out of your way to do it...

not I'm flirting with the woman at the supermarket because she's there next to

but rather...would you follow her around or purposely cross paths to flirt with her...

when you have a lady friend?
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:19:36 AM
No i personally wouldn't go out of my way to flirt with someone when I have a girlfriend, if she is right in front of me like a waitress or a cashier, then I have no choice ... it's just what's gonna happen.

As for the young guys ... my best guess is they are doing it to keep their options available if things don't go well with their girlfriends!
 Gangster Kitten
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:22:12 AM
Asking this question is like asking Socrates what the meaning of life is.

You'll get a long-winded esoteric response with long syllabled words you dont understand that will end up saying "Damned if I know" anyways.

Nobody can explain why, it just is.
 Navigator6
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:23:54 AM

No i personally wouldn't go out of my way to flirt with someone when I have a girlfriend, if she is right in front of me like a waitress or a cashier, then I have no choice ... it's just what's gonna happen.

Ditto!

Baldy & I seem to be the same type of people, in that sense. It's just our nature to be social. Quite honestly, I'm that way with everyone - even men. Not that I flirt with men, but I have no problem striking up conversation or making jokes to pretty much anyone that I encounter in my travels and who looks like they'd be receptive to it.
 romanfilmmaker
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/28/2008 7:34:05 AM
Okay....I'm naturally chatty and socially talkative as well...so I understand...Thanks for your responses.
 gatekeeper123
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 8:05:38 AM
most men do it with out even thinking about it,well i dow.it is harm less,we are gust trying to mack some one elce s fell good fell good thing, hay ladies flirt to now,
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 10:53:42 AM

Baldy & I seem to be the same type of people, in that sense. It's just our nature to be social. Quite honestly, I'm that way with everyone - even men. Not that I flirt with men, but I have no problem striking up conversation or making jokes to pretty much anyone that I encounter in my travels and who looks like they'd be receptive to it.

Add me to that group too! I like to interact with the other humans when I'm out and about, whether I'm involved with someone or not. And what's a sure sign that I don't mean anything by it is that I do it when I AM involved with a woman, and she is out WITH me. A woman who knows me understands its just part of my outgoing and sociable personality.
 BigDaddyJinx
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 11:14:03 AM
I flirt because it's as natural to me as breathing is to the rest of the world. Yes, I do flirt, and flirt openly even if I'm with someone/SO. It's part of who I am and have mostly always been. It's part of the package. If you think it makes you uncomfortable, then we won't last very long. If you think I'm being disrespectful, then we won't last very long. I do it because it's who I am, nothing more. Chances are, this is how I got the SO in the first place.

Still, I am smart enough to know my limits. Yes, I may flirt, but who is it that I go home with every night happily?
 fitguy32
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/28/2008 11:24:09 AM
The same reason women do it, my god
 75october09
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 12:36:22 PM
OP

The only answer I can give is that some guys just don't have any respect for their girlfriends or wife even if its just playful flirting. As you said women are guilty of this too but either way its just disrespectful.
 pet_tech
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 12:51:19 PM
Same reason women in relationships get all tramped up and go clubbing with their girlfriends at some posh bar and get free drinks all night.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2008 12:56:42 PM
Because despite all the insitutions of men in the world can't change the fact that men are not monogamous by nature. We either had good families that drove the principles of civilization home to us...or we didn't.

So how come women like wedding rings? I never would of believed it but did try it once. Yeah, you're all _____s. LOL.
 itsjustony
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/28/2008 1:04:34 PM
eGO booster is the #1 reason.

Some are flirtatious due to their personality.
If long term flirting leads to physical or even exchanging phone numbers, that's trouble.
Flirting with other girls would make me horny for my GF.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/28/2008 4:35:30 PM
It's not a conscious effort. It's just in my nature. I flirt with everything; women, dogs, mailboxes, sandwiches, you name it.
 romolampkin
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:24:35 PM
*Shrugs* It's part of being sociable. If I think someone's worthwhile, I let them know about it. Doesn't mean anything more than that and it's rarely taken that way.
 TheDirtyBen
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:30:22 PM
I flirt normally and naturally. I don't "go out of my way" to flirt with someone.
 The Brunette Bombshell
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:33:06 PM
there is only 1 reason

Because men are dogs!

ROLF
 engineeringemo
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:41:31 PM
Simple game theory, my dear.

It's the opposite of the prisoner's dilemma.

If neither of them leave, you've got two women.
If one of them leaves, you've got as many women as you started with.
More often than not, both won't leave.

I'm not saying I agree with the logic. I'm just saying I understand.
 Minau
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/28/2008 5:59:57 PM
I don't understand this behavior either...I find it disrespectful to their partner and consequently they don't come off very well. I find when a men is even just looking a little too long is being disrespectful. I dunno...I don't do this to my partner and I would hope for the same consideration from him, however, I've heard of other couples where they don't mind their partners being flirtatious as they engage in the same behaviors themselves...each to their own I guess.
 marianina_1
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/28/2008 6:24:33 PM
Because getting a flirting interaction underway and in full flow is the precursor to more (sexual involvement). They want to prove to themselves and others that they can still pull the girls, even though they have not intention of going that far. It's a way of saying "I'm an attractive man. You're an attractive woman. I can still get you to pay attention to me, smile at me, laugh with me and subtly indicate you are interested in me." It's a form of validation. I'm not saying I approve of it, when someone is attached, but I'm sure that's the motivation.
 Aurora772
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/28/2008 6:35:28 PM
They're idiots and will make excuses by claiming that they're naturally flirtacious; therefore, it's the woman's problem for being (wait for it) "clingy". These "men" will use any excuse to justify skating on thin ice. The real men skate on the thick ice.
 deere rancher
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/28/2008 6:43:30 PM
a flirting can be harmless and healthy it all depends on the person and their intentions
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Why do men flirt if they already have a girlfriend?