Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what oil to use for deep fryers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 1
view profile
History
what oil to use for deep fryers?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I just got a counter-top deep fryer. One that has a basket you lower into the oil with a lid. The manual talks about different oils to use. I've tried different ones but was wondering if others have preferences they use and if so why? Mostly I'm doing breaded chicken and veggies. Appreciate opinions.
 *~Krysteene~*
Msg: 2
what oil to use for deep fryers?
Posted: 9/9/2008 12:34:27 PM
I've always just used vegetable oil. I don't know about the healthiness of it. There may be some things that are better for you.

Krys
 nexthyme
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 12:44:13 PM
There are good blends of olive oils, with veggie oil. They have worked really hard to remove the trans fats in these, so even though frying isn't a particularly healthful way of cooking, the oil is important.

Generally olive oil has a lower temp, and will burn if heated at a hi temp. I would suggest looking up in the manual what it suggests, as well as taking a look on the internet for suggestions.

I do know it is important to know the best temp for the oil you use, because used at a to hi temp causes the oil to break down, and leave burned oil on the food, which is not good tasting, and probably not good for the body either...

When cooking chicken, you will need to use an oil that has a hi temp tolerance, because of the fact that chicken needs a higher temp to fully cook. Veggies on the other hand can be cooked at a lower temp, therefore olive oils especially flavored ones can be extremely tasty.

Good luck

VVVVVVVVVVVV Thanks guys, having a brain freeze and couldn't think of the "smoke point", I guess that is the same as a burning point, but your answer sounds so much better... Good oil suggestion.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 12:48:46 PM
peanut oil or another oil with a high smoke point.
 lostincali
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/9/2008 12:50:59 PM
Peanut oil is the best but sunflower or canola will also work.
 golfmz
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/9/2008 12:53:44 PM
I've tried all different kinds, Peanut oil works the best for me at all temps.
 justwant2no
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/9/2008 1:07:38 PM
Peanut oil is a good all around oil for high temp cooking, but does add some flavor to foods (french fries, etc). Canola is a healthier choice and lighter for breaded foods (chicken, etc.)
 mightbeme04
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/9/2008 1:32:35 PM
Canola is a LOT cheaper than peanut oil too!

Priced peanut oil lately? Sheesh anywhere from $11 to $14 a gallon!

I am using peanut oil now, it seems to maintain a better flavor longer and doesn't take on as much of the flavor of the food you cook in it as quick as canola and veggie oil.
 ic2beyurs2
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/9/2008 1:47:31 PM
canola is the best, for temp and health reasons
never use olive oil
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 2:58:16 PM
Thanks for everyones opinions. My manual talks about smoke levels. I have no clue what that means. Does it mean when the oil is high heat I will see smoke coming through the vents at the top? I never exceed the manual's suggestions for temp or time.

I have read Peanut oil will add somewhat of a taste but I think it cooks and heats differently. I tried it. Peanut oil seems to act differently in the fryer. My manual doesn't suggest doing anything different when using it.
 chefbrad22
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/9/2008 4:25:00 PM
the best one i have found to use is cannola oil im a chef that is what we have found the best
 Indrah
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/9/2008 4:38:55 PM
I like Crisco the best, especially if it's new! Also, if you keep the oil in the fryer and don't change it often it can go bad quickly. I switched from a deep fryer to a deep pan and store my crisco in a container in the fridge between uses.
 nexthyme
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:10:33 PM
The smoke level is where the oil is actually burning. That is why different oils have different levels of heat tolerance before they start to smoke.

If you are seeing smoke, it means the oil is burning.
 sumthinfrench
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/9/2008 6:23:11 PM
Crisco will hold up the best in high temperatures, it has a higher melting point than oil.
 Chee-tara
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/9/2008 8:01:46 PM
I heard canola oil is one of the healthiest to use when cooking (low in saturated fat and has lots of good omega-3). I mainly use extra-virgin olive oil when I'm sautéing or stir-frying on the stove-top, but when I'm making use of my deep fryer (e.g. for potato wedges or chicken wings), I opt for canola oil. Canola oil has a higher smoke point than it's counterparts (e.g. olive oil). Plus it's less expensive.

You also need to be careful not to overcrowd the basket when you're deep-frying b/c that will have a negative effect on the food (won't cook as evenly), and safely discard after use.
 noas613
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/9/2008 10:26:09 PM
I love peanut oil.
 69thfathom
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/9/2008 11:20:41 PM
Grapeseed oil is very stable at temp, and has a very high smoke point; plus it has the ability to dissolve arterial plaques--yay! It has a neutral flavor so it can be used for anything, and it is about the same price as olive oil.
 James_in_SD
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/10/2008 3:12:15 AM
Whichever kind you use, remember to change your oil every 3,000 meals.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 5:03:00 AM
Crisco is a solid, most of the other oils are already liquid...no melting required.

Crisco will hold up the best in high temperatures, it has a higher melting point than oil.

YES...it's picky, but
 Hawk8414
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/10/2008 6:08:49 AM
Everyone remember those old Crisco commercials? lol.
 qldblue
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/10/2008 6:15:27 AM
The best oil in any deep fryer is oil that is derivative from animals but you won't see that anymore for two reasons; 1. it is too expensive and, 2. it is very unhealthy.

As I work in the industry and prepare and cook for 150 plus people for lunch and dinner, we use vegetable oil and don't exceed a temperature of 180 degrees celsius, a good temperature to work with is 175 degrees.

If you use olive oil in a deep fryer you will be wasting money as it will breakdown very quickly.

A very valid safety point is to buy only oil that is made for use in deep fryers and the best oil is vegetable oil.

Another safety point is not too allow any water or ice to come in contact with hot oil as the oil can and will boil over the sides, as with any cooking with oil if in doubt proceed slowly.

If the deep fryer isn't cleaned out after every use then the life of the oil will be reduced and any food left in the fryer will burn and further reduce the life of the oil.

When draining your oil you will need to filter it, this can be done when the oil is cool and still liquid. This isn't a problem if your oil is a liquid when cold.

When the deep fryer is empty you can remove any left over food from the vat.

Oil will breakdown quickly when flour is used on food and breadcrumbs will also ruin your oil quickly as well.

Smoke point is reached very quickly when the oil is old and thin.

A rule of thumb to guage if your oil is okay is to dip your basket into the oil by about an inch or inch and a half, if you can see the bottom of the basket then your oil is okay, if not then replace.
 Passion8Frank
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/10/2008 3:51:39 PM
Hi Jax....

I have the same fryer.... use Peanut oil.. you can re-use it too, just strain it.. also, the other posters are right, it has a Low smoke point. Good luck on the new fryer, you can have fun with it... try deep fried Twinkies :)

pupdaddy12003
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2008 4:47:05 PM
...I have to agree with the folks in favor of peanut oil. It may give a slight amount of taste to some foods...but it's ability to withstand higher heat is definately to your advantage. Our local fire department used to use peanut oil when they had a huge fish fry every year...it was the only oil that could handle that kind of heat. Canola oil is good too if you're concerned about altering the taste of the food you're preparing.
 lostincali
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/10/2008 5:06:24 PM
Another tip is to set the temperature to 340-365F and use a thermometer to make sure it's in that range.
 Passion8Frank
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:25:23 AM
.. Great Point Lost...

If its not at least 350, whatever you are frying will not turn out good. You want it to fry the outside fast, so it stays crispy, and not suck up the oil.

Some of the things I have tried are, Poppers, Coconut shrimp and Mushrooms.. to name a few. As far as batter, they are all over the net.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > what oil to use for deep fryers?