Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does it mean when a woman wears a wedding ring on her right ring      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Skyliner1001
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What does it mean when a woman wears a wedding ring on her right ring finger?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Occasionally I see women wearing what look like wedding rings, but on a finger other than the left ring finger.

I look at the left ring finger ring as a "No Tresspassing" sign. But what should I conclude about a ring of the right type, but wrong finger?
 smilinpixie
Msg: 2
What does it mean when a woman wears a wedding ring on her right ring finger?
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:30:24 AM
It could mean she likes the ring! I wear the engagement ring my dad gave my mom on my right pinky (parents divorced and father has since passed) and I wear the ring my grandfather gave my grandmother on my left pinky. He too passed and my grandmother remarried. I charish these rings and wear them every day. I am sure some have looked at the one on my left pinky and wondered if I was engaged and just out sneaking around so I moved it to my pinky for the night. If someone rather assume than ask me, then I don't want them anyways!

Look for a tan line on the left ring finger, you can usually tell if somoene has been wearing a ring there.
 forumeow
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:48:23 AM
It can mean anything...

I have several friends who wear their mother's rings on their right hand, a memory thing.

I remember my grandmother wearing hers there, she told me that in Wales (where she grew up), it was customary for a widow to move her rings to her right hand a year after her husband died, I've heard this from other people as well.

Or, it could be someone who wants to be "single for a night"... The tan line on the left hand would be a giveaway for that, maybe?

Or, they could just like the rings, "they're pretty."

Why not just ask?
 Closing Shop
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/11/2008 7:01:16 AM
It means it's one less finger you have to purchase jewelry for. Don't let that girl get away!
 Pink Rose Lady
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/11/2008 7:58:57 AM
It means she really likes to wear that ring, perhaps it has some sentimental value, or it could be an heirloom passed down to her. I wouldn't read too much into it, it's just a ring.

Pink
 Miss W
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:01:41 AM

It could mean she likes the ring!

Exactly. I have my mom's wedding set and I occasionally wear the engagement ring on my right ring finger and the channel set wedding band on my pinky.
 cookie22222
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:56:19 AM
My ring moved from my left to right hand about 6 months after my fiancee died - many people I have met have done the same, after a death.
 whytwater
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:02:59 AM

It means it's one less finger you have to purchase jewelry for. Don't let that girl get away!

ROFLMAO.!!!! Oh, ache, my sides. That made my day. Thank you!
 jeandvorak
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:05:06 AM
I'd like to toss in a different opinion on this, since it comes from my heritage.

I've seen nationals from some countries wearing wedding bands on their left hand as a part of their culture and social settings. United States, Canada, some Asian countries and some Europeans also wear the wedding band on their left hand.

However, MOST Europeans and ALL Latin-americans wear the wedding ring on their right hand. When they see people wearing the band on their left hand they ask the same question: "Why is she wearing the wedding band on the WRONG hand?"

So, it could also be a cultural thing.

Is the girl wearing the wedding ring on her right hand from another country?

Just my take on it
 m_church
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 11:57:55 AM

Occasionally I see women wearing what look like wedding rings, but on a finger other than the left ring finger.

Don't worry about it...
It means the same thing as those natives who keep the skulls of past victims...
Hmmm Maybe worry about it...

anotheramy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 12:21:12 PM
Years ago I worked in a department store with a 'fine jewelry' counter. At one point, there was a big push on Right Hand Rings which were basically rings that looked like engagement or wedding rings that women wore on their ring hand instead of left.

The purpose of the ring according to the marketing that came along with it was to indicate that the woman was available.
 wpg_chick_84
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:20:16 PM
A close family friend of mine's husband was killed by a drunk driver several years ago. She wore her wedding ring on her right hand when she was ready to start dating because she felt it was important to still honour her husband. It's not like they fell out of love and got a divorce or anything. And just because she still loves her husband, doesn't mean she doesn't have room for someone new in her life. She did re-marry a few years later and her hubby had no problem with her wearing the ring.
 Skyliner1001
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 1:53:58 PM
Many thanks to all the responses to my question!
I can conclude that she is unmarried and, perhaps, a widow.
If I'm interested in her, I now feel "safe" to approach her.
I respect a wedding ring and would not flirt with a married woman.

There are some questions that I feel embarrassed to ask in person. That's why this forum is a great service to confused guys!
 equine_68
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:10:59 PM
Could be German, they wear the wedding band on the right hand.....
 SunnyTexas
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:19:31 PM
After a period of time a widow or widower will move the ring to the other hand.
 jazmella
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:24:22 PM
In memory of my late mother, I wear her wedding ring on my right ring finger. It's the only finger it'll fit comfortably on, aside from my left ring finger. Nothing more, nothing less. Simple explanation on my end! ;-)
 ~vhdc~
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 3:56:02 PM
Ummm...that she likes the jewlery. I wear my grandmothers, and my mothers.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 4:20:40 PM
Actually in the strictest sense, unless it's a ring given in a current marriage it's not a wedding ring, it's just a RING!

I wear my engagement ring from my late husband on my right hand. It's not an engagement ring, because he's deceased so we're no longer engaged. (Assuming the person you're engaged to has to be living..haha...ehh bad joke) It was an engagement ring at one time.

I'm wondering why you ask, call me curious.

"I look at the left ring finger ring as a "No Tresspassing" sign. " Ahh...okay, well maybe look her in the eye instead of looking at her fingers.
 carolann0308
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:09:23 PM
To me it means that she can afford to buy her own jewelry.
 afashionlady
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/11/2008 6:18:34 PM

Don't worry about it...It means the same thing as those natives who keep the skulls of past victims...Hmmm Maybe worry about it...

Oh no mchurch...it's a representation of a soul I harvested, according to this guy with a mullet.

OP...there are things called right hand rings....read below. If they're from a different country ya might wanna ask...but read below....

Right hand ring advice
by Sharon Wild - Gillett's Jewellers
The right hand ring
Right hand rings have become the hottest jewelry statement for ladies.

The diamond right hand ring is the ring to wear on the right hand to express your unique individuality.

Now the most dazzling of diamond rings are no longer reserved for just the married and engaged ladies.

The beauty of right hand rings is that there are so many ring styles to choose from.

And, with right hand rings, you're not limited by convention or tradition. You can choose whatever design you like, a style that shows your personality.

It's your right hand ring, just the way that you want it!

What are right hand rings?
Right hand rings are a new category of ring style all of its own.

The right hand ring is a diamond or gemstone ring that is worn on the right hand.

The right hand ring is most commonly chosen by ladies who are not married or engaged.

Why the right hand? - Engagement rings and wedding rings are normally worn on the left hand. The right hand ring is worn on the right hand ring instead.

The concept of the right hand ring is that ladies who are not married nor engaged no longer need to miss out on the stunning beauty of sparkling diamond rings.

And you might be thinking that diamond right hand rings are limited to successful career women? Though you may be surprised to learn that ladies from all walks of life are sporting right hand rings
 AcesDJD
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:02:53 PM
Sounds like a bunch of garbage to get people to waste even more money on diamonds. I hope most women don't fall for this.
 MePlusTwo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2008 8:22:56 PM

I can conclude that she is unmarried and, perhaps, a widow.
No, you cannot conclude she is unmarried. Many European women wear their wedding ring on the right hand. So you still need to approach with caution.
 glitterscream
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/11/2008 9:56:56 PM
In the US, in terms of availability, anything a woman wears on her right hand is pretty irrelevant. It's that left ring finger you want to check out for a signal.

That said, we do have different ethnic and cultural groups with different traditions who are becoming part of our society and perhaps confusing the issue for some.

Darn them! They should learn to wear their jewelry according to Amurrican rules as outlined in our Constitution!!!
 Mafiachixrule
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:30:06 PM
It could mean a variety of things. Culture, sentiment and just plain love of jewelry.
They say women are guilty of over analysis? Hmm.

Also could be a sign of setting the bar and what type of bling she likes to sport. Subtle hint. Hahaha.

Didn't they teach you this in volume 9438 of Deciphering Women for Dummies?

MadelineLime
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/11/2008 10:35:58 PM
jeandvork:
However, MOST Europeans and ALL Latin-americans wear the wedding ring on their right hand. When they see people wearing the band on their left hand they ask the same question: "Why is she wearing the wedding band on the WRONG hand?"

If you work with your hands, it can get in the way. :/
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > What does it mean when a woman wears a wedding ring on her right ring finger?