Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Name Withheld...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ReclusiveMuse
Msg: 1
Name Withheld...Page 1 of 1    
Three times in the past week someone has called my cell phone. Upon looking at the screen, the words "Name withheld" came up. All three times I refused to answer.
My reasoning for this is, if you don't want to reveal who you are and have to hide your name and number from me, then I will not engage in conversation with you....

I was wondering what others thought about this tactic.
Have you withheld your name and number in the past?
If so, what was your reasoning?

***Edit***
At OR vvvv
Your statement below really didn't answer my questions....
At OR again vvvv
Your statement below really didn't answer my questions....LMAO
 XHTML
Msg: 2
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:31:46 AM
OP ^^^^

In the previous 3-year contract I had with my cell phone, due to some fluke of the service provider, my phone number was configured by them to be "private". I hadn't requested the feature, but when I discovered it accepted it. If I placed a call my number was not revealed on the display of the called phone.

I came to like the feature though. I didn't want clients to call my cell phone first instead of calling my regular business number. Sometimes I don't want to be bothered by needy clients who call on holidays and weekends. I do have answering machines for those times.

I rarely give out my cell number and rely on the call-forwarding feature I have on my home and business numbers to direct incoming calls to my cell if I am not home.

When I subsequently renewed my contract the "private number" feature was removed, again, without my input. I called them to inquire and declined to pay a fee to reconfigure and add the service again. I may have to re-think this.

OR

============

EDIT ^^^

I believe I did respond to the topic.
Yes, my name was withheld, in the past, not currently.
I explained why.

My home and business numbers are not private, unlisted numbers.

I didn't use my cell phone to call you this week or even last week, so it must been some other dork that was calling you. (GRIN)
 Yappy lil Pine Needle
Msg: 3
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 7:11:42 AM
My phone doesnt except calls that have no number, so I dont even know they are calling If you want to call me, you must have a name, or a number displaying on my call display.... or my phone wont ring

When I want to call someone (like a client that owes me money) and I dont want them to know its me, I use the pay phone across the street or call from my cell phone from their front porch
 ratherBgolfing
Msg: 4
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:32:12 AM
Remember waaaaay back when, when you had no choice but to answer the phone to see who was calling?
Ahhh, the good old days. I must be getting old

What I find even more annoying are people who DON'T answer the phone, then, if you don't leave a message, they call you back, saying "Hi. who is this? You called my number."
Clearly, if they don't recognize the number, and if I didn't leave a message, it was either a wrong number to begin with, or I had nothing important to say
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 12:16:35 PM
I have nothing to hide and no need to withhold my number

if you call me with a"Name withheld" showing I'll just switch you over to the bill caller $6.99 per minute line for sex talk and keep holding your attention asking is it good for you baby
 mo-mo
Msg: 6
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 12:38:40 PM
^^^^ dang is that why my phone bill has been so high lately ??????????????
 *RINGS
Msg: 7
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 12:39:11 PM
i've blocked my # many times....
because no one seems to want to answer the phone, when they owe money..

or when they owe an explanation about something..that still doesn't mean that they answer..
just because you block the call...

it's just that if you do....you have a better chance that they might answer..
if they don't know who's calling..

i usually don't answer blocked calls either...because it's usually never good news...
hence, that it's usually the reason it was blocked in the first place ...bad news..

i have found that morning blocked calls are the worst,
it's been my experience that good news almost always sleeps until noon...
 Bellaâ„¢
Msg: 8
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 1:23:24 PM
I don't answer calls from Unknown Callers. I've had a few bad experiences so its a personal choice I've made. I know that one could argue that in the days before call display, we didn't have the chance to screen our calls, but thankfully, those days are gone.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 2:23:44 PM

^^^^ dang is that why my phone bill has been so high lately ??????????????

I'm sooo soorrryyy babiiii, forgive just hope it was good
you should not have withheld on me
heck , just a few blocks away
a cabby would have been cheaper
next time just gimme your number and I'll
no more withholding
 Xavery
Msg: 10
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 4:55:20 PM
I also dont answer my phone when I don't know the caller. I have never seen name withheld but I have seen private caller.
 ReclusiveMuse
Msg: 11
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 5:57:57 PM
At OR
Message #2

There is a big difference between "Private #" and "Name Withheld"
On my land line, I have an unlisted # which will come up as "private" should I call anyone.
"Name Withheld" Is when someone dials *67 to deliberately block their number when they call you (per call blocking) and is usually found on a cell phone.
I personally have never used *67 on either a landline or cell to block my phone #
 Temptation50
Msg: 12
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:21:58 PM
Anyone who blocks the number, name etc did it intentionally.....
Just on those points alone deserves a no answer......
Just as well.......I probably don't likem much anyways......
 * L *
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 6:39:10 PM
99.9% of the time I do not answer my phones
my cel phone is in the bottom of my purse and stays there unless I need to make a call or am waiting a return call
my land phone has the ringer turned off , so the 20 year old answering machine will talk to you if you call
some people who know me well - start yelling at me to pick up the phone
& if they say it right I will ,if its not too far away from me...

The only times I block my name & number is to call back numbers that called me to see who the heck it was (when Im bored )
or to stalk someone....
you know, to hear thier voice and then gasp & hangup... sorry mo_mo
 Xavery
Msg: 14
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:40:18 PM
Does anyone know what 000 000 0000 is? Between 6:30 and 7:30 tonight, my phone rang 5 times. I knew none of these callers. 2 were long distance - Ontario. I was livid! Why do all these telemarketers and what not have to keep phoning?
 wind chimez
Msg: 15
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 8:50:02 PM
Pay phone!!! What is a pay phone???

Many of the pay phones have disappeared off the corner of streets here especially around 7- Elevens...which makes me mad when I get a flat tyre in the winter, it's pouring with rain and two children in the van and no pay phone around

I had to go into to Safeway and beg the clerk to let me use the phone and get a phone book. You would have thought that I had asked for moon.. Sheesh

P.S. I left a little message on her notebook before I left ( name withheld) he he he...
 XHTML
Msg: 16
Name Withheld...
Posted: 9/18/2008 9:07:39 PM
RM Msg 11 ^^^^

There is a big difference between "Private #" and "Name Withheld"
On my land line, I have an unlisted # which will come up as "private" should I call anyone.
"Name Withheld" Is when someone dials *67 to deliberately block their number when they call you (per call blocking) and is usually found on a cell phone.
I personally have never used *67 on either a landline or cell to block my phone #

Perhaps different cell phone service providers and/or the cell phone themselves manage such calls in different ways.

For example I conducted a test, and after dialing *67 on my landline, called my cell phone (Samsung on Telus Mobility).

The call display on my cell showed "Restricted #", not "Private #" or "Name Withheld".

I am uncertain but don't think the *67 feature works on my cell.

OR
 Briannazg2
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Name Withheld...
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:00:08 PM
a friend sent me this link which I found interesting considering how much we rely on cell phones....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyKcoDaofg

there is software out there that can really mess up a person's life.... celluarbullying at a scary level....
 Entzauberung
Msg: 18
Name Withheld...
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:29:47 PM
^^^^
Thanks for the headsup.

Given the fact that a cell phone is basically a two-way radio transceiver, this shouldn't be such a surprise.

I poked around, and yeah, there is lots of spy software is available. Some isn't terribly expensive, though one program was around $1,000

I can't think anyone's call I'd want to monitor.

Any snoop who monitors my calls will be bored to tears.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Name Withheld...
Posted: 4/26/2009 11:29:22 PM

I can't think anyone's call I'd want to monitor.

could be the EX'es monitoring how many intimate encounter you're booking
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Name Withheld...