Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ojfreshlysqueeze
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Lets suppose there is someone you are quite interested in, but for whatever reason you are hesitant about going for it. You don't believe you are obsessed with this person and there are times when you are not even thinking about her, but you keep on seeing or hearing her first name everywhere. Lets say her name is Josephine.

1. You happen to look up at the movie credits, as your leaving the theatre and see her name.

2. You find an interesting book of various writings and flipping through the table of contents, you see a chapter on loneliness written by a woman named Josephine.

3. Your talking to your buddy on the phone about her while you are playing poker online and someone named Josephine sits at the spot next to you.

4. You are watching TV and a character who happens to resemble that person is introduced as Josephine.

5. You get a phone call from a telemarketer who introduces herself as Josephine.

This kind of thing happens daily, almost twice a day for a month and you are perplexed as to why it is happening. This has happened to you before, with a different person. You go for it, and for a time have a wonderful relationship with that person who's name you kept on coming across.

Are these just odd coincidences or should you take it as a sign that you are meant to be with that person?
Any other thoughts?
Has this ever happened to you?
 SteveinHP
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:24:27 AM
Quick, go buy a lottery ticket while you are at it...

If you believe in fate and all that sure...I chalk it up to coincidence.
 ruckus123
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:42:41 AM
It worked in the movie Serendipity. He kept seeing/hearing her name everywhere. They got married at the end.
 Pamperpooch000
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:51:21 AM
I'm not sure OP, but maybe it's just that you notice this particular name more because you happen to be thinking about it. Maybe if you weren't thinking about it, you wouldn't notice the names popping up so often. Just recently I had to have some work done on my house and the electrician, plasterer and door fitter were all called Paul, and I was chatting with a guy called Paul online with a view to dating him, so I wondered if it was a sign, but when I met him I wasn't really attracted to him. Could I have convinced myself I was meant to date him a little while longer and get to know him because of the coincidence? It's possible, and it's possible that we might have grown a connection, but I didn't, so if it was supposed to be fate I missed out on it
 mysticsyren
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:51:50 AM
I believe there is a reason for everything. It could just be coincidence.
But what have you got to loose by just going with it and seeing what happens?

BTW- Waves Hi to Ruckus123
 ~Angel-Eyes~
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/21/2008 7:53:36 AM
Nope. I used to believe in signs...........with my ex they seemed to be all there. But now concidering he's my ex, I no longer believe in "signs".
 Pamperpooch000
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:10:36 AM

Nope. I used to believe in signs...........with my ex they seemed to be all there. But now concidering he's my ex, I no longer believe in "signs".

Ah but then you have to think were you meant to meet your x husband in order to get to the stage where you are in life at the present? It's like they say, we learn from each lesson in life, and hopefully we are eventually rewarded with the gift of a lifetime. If we didn't go through the bad, we wouldn't be mentally prepared to appreciate the good when it landed on us. We can't get to the end without experiencing the beginning and middle bit.
 Kickin Back 2008
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:11:28 AM
Far be it for me to say that "signs" do not exist, but what you must also understand is how the mind works. We actually discussed this in psychology. Once you are thinking about someone (even subconsciously), then you are more open to seeing things that have to do with them. Whether it be their name everywhere or just the simple things that remind you of them. Here are a few examples that might better relay this: When you get a new vehicle, suddenly this make and model that you rarely ever, if ever, saw before is cruising around everywhere. Almost as if these people went to the lot and bought it in varying colors right after you did. Also, a female whom is pregnant will suddenly notice just how many pregnant women there are out there. It will seem as though there is "something in the water"...lol! Pregnant woman and babies everywhere! It works the same way with someone you like. They are on your mind and new and exciting and you seem to focus all of your attention on what reminds you of them. You notice it more because in a way you are "looking for it" and open to seeing it and less open and willing to see other things. If this "Josephine" was simply a woman whose name tag you read at the grocer earlier you wouldn't be so in tune to it.

Not to say that destiny and other things do not exist. I most certainly believe everything happens for a reason and that sometimes there are "signs". But, if you want to be scientific...there you go. Studies show the psyche works in mysterious way and can be deceiving. Good luck to you!!!!!
 wild heart
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:17:27 AM
I also believe in the power of suggestion of one's own mind. HA!

Sorta like when I thought the horoscope was directed at me and my ex. 3 weeks later, they ran the same ads in a a row......
 ~AShootingStar~
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:21:47 AM
whether its a name or something else that forms this pattern.I do believe it happens
to some. Idon't necessarily believe it means its a good sign though.It may be a warning
sign.......Like maybe underconstruction'
 indehills
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/21/2008 9:22:40 AM

I'm not sure OP, but maybe it's just that you notice this particular name more because you happen to be thinking about it.

I think that's exactly it. Her name is on your mind, so you are noticing it everywhere. I have the same thing happen with my ex. I'll be thinking about here, and then I'll start seeing her first name everywhere, her LAST name everywhere, and things that have some connection to her (like a band she liked, a cartoon character she liked, etc.). That does NOT mean that we are meant to be back together, though - in fact, we tried that, and it didn't work.
 GirlScoutLdr
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/21/2008 10:24:22 AM
This has happened to me before. I kept noticing street signs with the same name as him but I never saw them before, drive-in restaurants, authors, actors, customers. I thought maybe I was having some sort of spiritual connection with this person. And it was. Having that spiritual and intellectual connection first is the basis for having a long term relationship. I'd say, move forward. Your gut is telling you to get closer, so do it.
 spiceemomme
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/21/2008 2:22:16 PM
those same signs have always been there.....the fact that her name is on your mind is the reason why you are noticing it everywhere...
you know its kinda like when you buy a car, then you start seeing them everywhere.......
it becomes your reality......or destiny....
good luck
Posted: 9/21/2008 2:33:25 PM
Louis Pasteur said "Chance favors only the prepared mind."

Wiki - Apophenia is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data. The term was coined in 1958 by Klaus Conrad, who defined it as the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness".

While observations of relevant work environments and human behaviors in these environments is a very important first step in coming to understand any new domain, this activity is in and of its self not sufficient to constitute scientific research. It is fraught with problems of subjective bias in the observer. We (like the experts we study) often see what we expect to see, we interpret the world through our own personal lens. Thus we are extraordinarily open to the trap of apophenia. — Klaus Conrad, A Cognitive Approach to Situation Awareness: Theory and Application

In statistics, apophenia would be classed as a Type I error (false positive, false alarm, caused by an excess in sensitivity). Apophenia is often used as an explanation of some paranormal and religious claims, and can also be used to explain the tendency of humans to believe pseudoscience. Apophenia may be linked to psychosis and creativity.

Conrad originally described this phenomenon in relation to the distortion of reality present in psychosis, but it has become more widely used to describe this tendency in healthy individuals without necessarily implying the presence of neurological or mental illness.
 Pokeysrevenge
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/21/2008 3:03:44 PM
When I was on my way to the dealership to get my car, I saw my car EVERYWHERE.

It's on your mind, your mind will notice it a lot more.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/21/2008 3:26:07 PM

Conrad originally described this phenomenon in relation to the distortion of reality present in psychosis, but it has become more widely used to describe this tendency in healthy individuals without necessarily implying the presence of neurological or mental illness

Now that a relief!
 pirateheaven
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 3:39:42 PM
She obviously is weighing heavily on your mind whether or not you want to believe it.

You better ask that woman out before she moves on without you or else you will wonder what would have happened if....

Jim
 katt_411
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/21/2008 3:50:44 PM
She's on your mind, that's all. Now you pay more attention to whatever is associated with her, i.e. her name. It's like getting a new job .. suddenly everywhere you look you see the company logo ...

Now if only I could figure out why it is that every time I glance at the clock it's always 3:33 or 1:11 or 4:44 ... if ever I see a 6:66 I'll definitely know I'm in trouble ...... but so far so odd :)
 PoeticLover
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:42:32 PM
Hi OP,

I'm a pretty spiritual person so I'd take it as a sign. Just be careful not to interpret it through your own desires. Say hi to this Josephine person some time, can't hurt either way. It's not fate for you to be together, but there might be an important lesson for one of you.

Good Luck!
 POF Electric Co
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:45:24 PM
maybe Britney .........
 Smiling I s
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/22/2008 12:15:24 AM
IMO, no, unless perhaps you have no predisposition to the name Josephine being significant. The reason you notice is because you want to notice. Sorry if that sounds unromantic but it's the kind of notion that'll get you all swept up in a fantasy, only to come crashing down. Meanwhile Josephine is wondering how the heck you managed to arrive in your current condition. That's not to say she won't be sweet and encouraging to such a romantic notion, depending on her perspective...but I wonder if she's receiving similar universal signs.

I can dig you though. I've been there myself. But human beings are not capable of processing but a small portion of the information that is sent their way on a second by second basis. We are creatures of deletion, meaning that we don't notice or delete the information that is not relevant to whatever urge, crisis, mood, etc that we're currently in. If someone asks you to focus on green objects, then close your eyes and they ask you for a report on everything red in the room, you'll have difficulty answering.

Such is the same with the law of attraction. If you think negative thoughts, you will retain negative thoughts, and only notice negative influences, because your mind cannot process much more than what you are actively looking for. That's not to say that the world is a diverse place with many forces and many mysteries. And surprises come to those when they least expect them.

Ug, I've become either wise or jaded. But this is only my perspective at this moment in time, with my human eyes.
 DirtyOldManInTraining
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/22/2008 3:16:50 AM
Fishy seeks Master Baiter: Oh how I LOVE that username!!!

OP: I experienced this same phenomenon when began working for the company that I'm with now.

I now see street signs, restaurant signs, etc. that all have the same name.

Did someone, overnight, go out and change all of these signs to screw with me??

NO!

I simply became more aware of their presence now that I have a point of reference!
 ThatVibe
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/22/2008 4:01:33 AM
Yeah, sure it's happened to me. Just basic selective attention. When I "learn a new word" I all of a sudden notice that word all over the place, for example.

Sure it's a sign: it's a sign you're thinking about her a lot. Way too much, for not having even gone out with her. Been there, done that, and it's usually not turned out well. In no way is it a sign you're "meant to be with her." There's much, much more that has to happen to be able to determine that. Talking with her and seeing if SHE appears to be interested in you is a start. Something tells me you don't know that yet. Take a few steps back and chill.

My advice at this point is to keep expectations down, and just get to know her. IF it seems she likes you, make plans to do share some activity you both enjoy. If she's not into you, there will be no way to convince her otherwise, and any attempts you make to do so will just make you look like a pathetic putz at best. As the name of the site indicates, there ARE plenty of fish in the sea, and probably many who would be good for you, and vice-versa.

So take it easy, and get to know her first. Too many people mess things up by "asking someone on a relationship" before even "asking them on a date." Just enjoy getting to know her, and if she's into you, things will roll along naturally ...
 felixelcato
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/22/2008 4:21:01 AM
Same thing happened to me when I dated Wendy McDonald. It's as if her name was everywhere.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/22/2008 7:05:06 AM
Personally I DO believe in signs.

I also think our subconscious CAN and WILL function to make us more aware of these things. Heightened awareness revealing your choice, before your brain knows your heart has made it.

Yes, it's happened in my life and yes, I have always listened to the leadings and followed.

And no, I have no regrets for having done so.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Seeing her name everywhere...Do you believe in signs?