Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Heads up: mandatory car appraisals in ontario for cars 20 years+      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 driven2think
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Heads up: mandatory car appraisals in ontario for cars 20 years+Page 1 of 1    
I recently bought a 1988 car and was stunned to find out I must take it to a licensed auto appraiser before I can change the ownership! I was told this is a new law in Ontario.

I already thought it criminal that our corrupt government taxed cars multiple times but now they want you to pay about $100 to have a BS appraisal done. Brilliant. So if you pay $10 for a car but it's appraised at $10,000,000 you pay tax on the ten million!

Did you know about this new tax grab??
 GO USC
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Heads up: mandatory car appraisals in ontario for cars 20 years+
Posted: 9/22/2008 4:57:09 PM
: I recently bought a 1988 car and was stunned to find out I must take it to a licensed auto appraiser before I can change the ownership! I was told this is a new law in Ontario.

I already thought it criminal that our corrupt government taxed cars multiple times but now they want you to pay about $100 to have a BS appraisal done. Brilliant. So if you pay $10 for a car but it's appraised at $10,000,000 you pay tax on the ten million!

same law applies in washington state. just made a purchase on a 1995 chevy silverado and paid 2800 us dollars and had to pay tax on 7000 us dollars
 helpimstuck
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/22/2008 7:12:33 PM
yep its been out for a while now... don't worry about the value of the car.. just get the appraiser to give you a low value.. they do it because people do this..I.E. you buy a 69 dodge charger basket case(old rusted out).. then file a claim that is was stolen..and the car was mint.. and the get a big payout...
 chesher 38
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/23/2008 12:35:16 AM
This is a UN thing, I live in California and I have 6 Trucks of which 3 are in Non-Op , But the 3 that I do use are a 1966, a 1989 and a 1992, by using these 3 trucks I am taxed on $15,000 orth of Rolling Stock...

t I paid a TAX when I bought These trucks and I pay a tax every year when I register them...

So exactly WTF am I paying for,it's not a Carbon Tax, but one day soon we will be thanking Al Gore for a new Carbon Tax...
 driven2think
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2008 3:13:28 PM
I was so ticked off when I found out about this law. I came out of it okay as the appraiser was a good guy and appraised it fairly but it's still an extra expense no one needs. I could be more understanding if the government had a list of vintage collectible cars of high value but not on regular "beaters."
 hugs*n*hisses
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/25/2008 6:26:52 AM
This has been in effect for some time now. Unless you have an appraisal stating the car is worth (whatever), you will be taxed on book value.

The first time I experienced this was back in 1997 already, and the vehicle in question wasn't even 20 years old.

HnH
 Firmbear8
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/27/2008 10:07:20 AM
Well you should also know that any car/truck/suv/what ever that is 20+ years old is classed as a classic . And yes this has been around for a long time .
And no not a tax grab at all. So if you buy any classic car expect to pay an appraisal value as if it was brand new or mint conditon . Alot of classic car dealers & regular folks where buying these and then selling them for big bucks. And so the goverment decided back in the 80's to put some type of control on profits of these buyers&sellers of cars 20+ years old. .
 single_male_41
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2008 7:35:42 PM
a car that 20 years old dont need a text so they have to grap your money some how
 GuitarPlayer45
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/3/2008 8:46:53 PM

Well you should also know that any car/truck/suv/what ever that is 20+ years old is classed as a classic . And yes this has been around for a long time .
And no not a tax grab at all. So if you buy any classic car expect to pay an appraisal value as if it was brand new or mint conditon . Alot of classic car dealers & regular folks where buying these and then selling them for big bucks. And so the goverment decided back in the 80's to put some type of control on profits of these buyers&sellers of cars 20+ years old. .

Yeah but classic cars are usually cool looking, there were some butt ugly cars during the 80's, classic cars to me are 70's and backwards vehicles. The only cars out of the 80's that might be worthy of being a classic car would be muscle cars.
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Heads up: mandatory car appraisals in ontario for cars 20 years+