Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Ex armed forces to get free teacher training...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rev_guilliano
Msg: 1
Ex armed forces to get free teacher training...Page 1 of 1    
What exactly does this include? A large number of people in the armed forces have a few GCSE's to their name, and so becoming a qualified teacher would involve a year of studying before attending university for a minimum of 3-4 years going by the current requirements. And what help do they get in the meantime? Does the FREE training just mean tuition fees or will they get everything handed to them?

Is this simply a way for the government to say they are "rewarding" the bravery of people in the armed forces AND tackling a teacher shortage without actually giving any details of what they will be doing?
 motley_maiden
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ex armed forces to get free teacher training...
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:00:04 AM
Interesting I'm ex armed forces, and have a degree to my name, and soon a masters degree.

I love the way ex forces personnel are thought of to be a little on the dumb side.
 willow
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:00:26 AM
I heard yesterday that there is a shortage of male teachers and maybe some of the armed forces males who were leaving may be interested in becoming one..

It didnt go in to detail about pay etc..
 rev_guilliano
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:07:16 AM
Motley....

I wasn't slating the armed forces (or ex), just making an observation about the people I know who are ex forces and the people they know from the forces. Why do people always have to be so defensive???
 motley_maiden
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 5:08:30 AM
I meant it more in a general sense, rather than at you in particular
 FOLLOW THE LIGHT
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:27:08 AM
Its about time this goverment recognised what important work our armed forces are doing in various countries round the world, the goverment have no respect for them send them to war,but not the right equipment,

send them to collEge,uni,train them up,an applaud them.
 CharmWitCharisma
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:30:09 AM
Collage?
I fail to see just how making pictures by sticking pieces of paper together is really going to help the situation. But if you think so!
 Pat78
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/2/2008 8:32:09 AM
I know nothing about this subject and the initiative so can't answer the op question though I think ex service personnel providing they are able to teach would be brilliant in school as they could help with discipline and respect and could be invaluable in the scondary comprehensive.
I await futrther info before posting more, but it sounds a good idea to me!
 Macforty
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/2/2008 9:16:09 AM

Michael Gove will tell the Tory party conference that encouraging former armed forces personnel to become teachers could improve classroom discipline and provide positive role models for children.

The Conservatives also plan to boost the funding of an independent charity, Expanding Skill Force, which recruits ex-servicemen and women to become "skills instructors" to vulnerable children and disengaged teenagers.

The Conservatives say seven in 10 of those who leave the armed forces at sergeant level or above want to go into a training role.
Yet currently, , just 68 ex-service personnel a year enter teacher training.

It would offer bursaries of £9,000 to 200 ex-service personnel who take post-graduate teacher training.

And in a commitment to ex-service personnel, a Tory government would introduce a "GI" bill which would pay the tuition fees of those seeking to do a first degree after active service.

Gove expressed support for a similar policy recommendation from the Centre for Policy Studies thinktank earlier this year

In his conference speech, the shadow schools secretary will say: "In 1945 the American government honoured the men and women who'd fought against fascism - the greatest generation - with a piece of legislation, the GI bill, which granted returning heroes the right to free university education.

"The young men and women serving in Afghanistan and Iraq are heroes of our time; their sacrifices in the cause of freedom make them the greatest of our generation, and they deserve the thanks of all of us.

Gove, due to outline the plans in a speech to conference delegates in Birmingham tomorrow, will say a Tory government would fund 1,000 ex-service personnel to become Skill Force instructors – a fivefold increase.

"That is why a Conservative government will honour their service by guaranteeing them the right to free university education."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/sep/29/toryconference.conservatives2

HTH

bootielicious
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 9:54:05 AM
If they are thinking it is going to improve the discipline within schools then they are talking B***ocks!!!

I am ex army myelf and I am a qualified teacher.

I can only control the children within the constraints of the policies given. We certainly can't intimidate the children or shout at them or make them do extra exercises in the way we were beastied during training at Guildford.

The problem is not who is teaching them, it is how much support we get when attempting to assert some kind of discipline. Some Schools are great at supporting the teachers and making sure that the children know where they stand, whereas others are far too worried about not being pc and white wash over problems, which allow them to escalate. Many teachers have left teaching because of this.

Teaching is more of a vocation than a career to many and I hope that any ex military that choose to take this path, are really wanting to teach children and not just looking for a wage packet.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Ex armed forces to get free teacher training...