Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ameerra
Msg: 1
Life on Other Planets? YES????Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Check out this article that describes the discovery of a strange new life form, is this proof that life exists on other planets?

PLANET'S LONLIEST BUG REVEALED:

A micrograph of Desulforudis audaxviator, reproduced with permission of Greg Wanger, J Craig Venter Institute, and Gordon Southam, University of Western Ontario
This micrograph shows the bacteria (image by permission of scientists)

A bug which lives entirely on its own and survives without oxygen in complete darkness underground has been discovered in South Africa.

Desulforudis audaxviator, or bold traveller as it is known in English, relies on water, hydrogen and sulphate for its energy.

Because it gets by without oxygen, it could offer clues as to whether life exists on other planets.

The loneliest living species known to science was found inside a gold mine.

The rod-shaped bacterium was found 2.8km (1.74 miles) beneath the surface of the Earth in the Mponeng mine near Johannesburg, living in complete isolation, total darkness and 60C (140F) heat.

The find represents the first known ecosystem with a single biological species, scientists say.

It was identified in DNA extracted from water-filled cracks in the mine.

Dr Dylan Chivian of California's Berkley National Laboratory, who is part of the team that made the discovery, explained its significance.

"Early Earth and other planets didn't have a lot of oxygen on them, so life has evolved to use oxygen in order to get its energy," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"You know, if we ever discover life on other planets, it may very well be that they live without oxygen and instead potentially use chemicals like sulphate to get their energy."

The bug's name is partially based on a sentence in Latin from Jules Verne's novel Journey to the Centre of the Earth: "Descende, Audax viator, et terrestre centrum attinges", which translates as "Descend, Bold Traveller, and attain the centre of the Earth"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7663927.stm
 Light Storm
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Life on Other Planets? YES????
Posted: 10/10/2008 9:00:01 PM
Gives me hope there might be abundant life on Venus after all :)

James
 stargazer1000
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/11/2008 7:59:52 AM
The thing about a discovery like this is that it just shows how tenacious and adaptable life can be. It's ubiquitous to this planet and can be found in some of the most extreme of environments.

Our first indication of life on another planet will be indirect. For instance, indications of methane have been discovered on Mars spectroscopically. Methane doesn't last long in a planetary environment like Mars and there are few possible sources - volcanoes which Mars had several but they appear to be inactive. And, of course, life.
 Chiny®™©
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:02:46 AM

Check out this article that describes the discovery of a strange new life form, is this proof that life exists on other planets?

No not really, it just proves that life can exist in an environment other than what we classify as a “normal” environment here on Earth.

It would be meticulously prudent of yourself to maintain a respectable; physically reaction-able distance between yourself and anybody rendering a belief that life only existed on Earth out of all the cosmos. Such a person should surely be psychologically confronting? IMO, but don’t you think?
 Last not Least
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2008 2:14:16 PM
anaerobic bacteria exist on earth along with tubeworms that grow to large sizes in the vicinity of underwater volcanic vents called black smokers. The surrounding concentrations of sulphur and the extremely acidic reaction with the surrounding sea water would not be the garden of eden for organisms but a species of tube worm and some bacteria do thrive there. These are also deep water vents so all of this goes on in total blackness.
So it has been known for awhile that organisms that could develop in what we would consider nearly impossible conditions right here on earth. It is a fairly safe bet that it could happen elsewhere in the universe.
 Gotapulse
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/11/2008 2:29:17 PM
Well it's not proof , no. It's proof that life takes many forms here on Earth but there it is...that's just Earth.

I find it unlikely that Earth is the only place in the universe with life of any kind but until we manage to get hold of a specimen of some sort that actually comes from another planet we don't really have any proof of extraterrestrial life.
 karma9800
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/11/2008 8:41:21 PM
In sheer scale and size and probality then life of some description must exist beyond where we live now.

For ages meteorites have arrived on this planet and they have often been found, most famously a few years back in ones found in Austrailia, to contain amino acids.

Amino acids being the fundamental base of DNA then that alone shows the sheer almost undoubtable presumption that life must exist elsewhere within our known universe.

Considering finds just on earth alone its also plausible that organisms of some description probably exist in the vastness of space itself.

The scope and scale of our system is vast. And if rocks are flying around space with amino acids in them, you can get bet for sure that our universe doesnt just maybe have life elsewhere, it is positively teeming with it.

:)
 Gotapulse
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/11/2008 9:22:20 PM
^Well you're right in part but one fact doesn't necessarily lead to another.
That amino acids are the building blocks of DNA is beyond doubt. There's the assumption though that extraterrestrial life would in some way resemble life on Earth. That's extremely unlikely even given the vastness of space. That's to say that the likelihood of there being any organism anywhere outside of Earth that also uses DNA is so remote as to make it virtually impossible that we'll ever run across it. It might exist but as I say, we'll probably never see it. On the other hand, if we can know that the evolution of DNA isn't just some random development but part of a more or less fixed pattern guided by natural forces then we can make the assumption that it exists elsewhere. Until we know what lead to the natural creation of DNA here on Earth though we can't really hypothesize one way or the other. That being the case, the abundance of amino acids throughout the universe is something of a moot point for the time being.
 desertrhino
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 7:32:58 AM
Amino acids are not at all the same as ribonucleosides or deoxyribonulceosides.

Just saying.

And this sure doesn't make life on VENUS any more likely... it's still an autoclave of vicious, hot, corrosive sulfuric acid. Mars, though...
 stargazer1000
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/12/2008 7:43:05 AM

And this sure doesn't make life on VENUS any more likely... it's still an autoclave of vicious, hot, corrosive sulfuric acid. Mars, though...

The other thing about Venus - very, very dry! There has been speculation - and it is, of course, merely speculation at this point - that because Titan has a hydrology cycle, it could have it's own form of cryo-life. Mars and Europa, though, appear to have the best chances to harbour extraterrestrial life.

God, ain't science cool!
 karma9800
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:36:36 AM
even though the idea of silicon is intriguing

from what we know so far any life in existence out there has a huge chance and most likely to be carbon based and most likely to be built just as we are

essentially all the life on this planet comes from the same basic building blocks of DNA and considering the vast differences we see here on earth its no major stretch to consider life out there is not too far away from what we know here

:)
 whothehellknows
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/12/2008 11:18:44 AM

It was identified in DNA extracted from water-filled cracks in the mine.

While I find the discovery very interesting, this sentence gives me cause to doubt it's isolation. Where did the water come from? Is it possible the DNA was in the water before it seeped down to those depths?
 garry1949
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2008 6:57:03 PM
"While I find the discovery very interesting, this sentence gives me cause to doubt it's isolation. Where did the water come from? Is it possible the DNA was in the water before it seeped down to those depths? "

I was thinking the same way. Maybe the DNA was a mutation from an original skin cell of one of the mine workers, perhaps of many years hence.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:09:35 PM
More likely it was a bacteria that found its way down into the rocks through with ground water sources. Life has many ways of finding its way into a variety of environments and adapting. That's the success of life. It's ability to adapt.
 Z2million
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/13/2008 2:18:05 PM
Sure there is life on other planets...........don't you watch........... Star Trek

On a more serious note.........with the number of stars.........the number of planets...... in all the galaxies........in all the universe.

I'll take that bet.............it's better odds than winning the lotto.
 onward33
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/18/2008 12:07:58 PM

On a more serious note.........with the number of stars.........the number of planets...... in all the galaxies........in all the universe.

I think it's pretty egotistical to think that there is only one planet out of an unknown total number that is the only one capable of supporting life. Scientists like proof (don't we all!), but the balance of probabilities is valid enough for me on this one as well!
 Shaun*
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:40:42 PM
Hi all..Yes there is life on other planets:)

The truth will be known by 2012:)

There is much knowledge that has been kept hidden from Humanity for control purposes...

We are now in the age of Aquarius / the age of revealing....

We will move into the 5th dimension with our mother Earth on Mar.21.2013...

Much Love to You all and to all that is...

Namaste**
 monkey1973
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/18/2008 5:53:38 PM
Here's a throw away thought: what if we did discover life on another planet (in the distant future obviously) and they were identical humanoids to us, approx same stage of development..

...so we meet and greet them, only to find out they are almost culturaly identical to us - different language but reality shows, obesity epedemics, tin pot dictators, BS politicians...

How gutted would we feel - we want them to be different and enlightened, but what if they were uncannily the same! Bummer.
 Jiperly
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2008 1:12:29 AM
While this story is an excellent tale for the durability and lasting effect of life, it doesn't prove life exists on other planets- simply that life can endure many hardships- it doesn't begin to explain how life begins, which would be essential in explaining how life exists on other planets.

If we transferred these lifeforms to a planet more suitable for their existence, that would be interesting- but otherwise, its just a life form that fought the norm conditions, not unlike the Pompeii worm.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/19/2008 5:21:20 AM

Here's a throw away thought: what if we did discover life on another planet (in the distant future obviously) and they were identical humanoids to us, approx same stage of development.

Highly improbable, at least in our little corner of the universe. A little too "Star Trekky" I'm afraid.

So many things go into the development of life from the initial formation of the native solar system to its location within its home galaxy to the chemical composition of its ocean ad infinitum. The formation of life on this little dusty ball in our solar system was such a ranging series of variables, the chances of it happening again in this universe, while not infinite, certainly approaches it. Kind of like winning a lottery 100 times in a row.
 monalee1
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/19/2008 9:32:29 PM
hi... just to throw in a Christians view to this question, the bible clearly says that there are other planets and worlds out there... some people call it a crutch but there is something remarkably peaceful about trusting every word that is written in Gods Manual for life... blessings, warmly Mona
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2008 11:19:01 PM
Trusting every word in a book set down by the hand of man, edited by man, translated by man, edited more, added more, translated more...

AND which is demonstrably wrong repeatedly, unsupported by evidence numerously, inherintly contradictory...

is a decidedly irrational choice.

It also won't have any effect on discovering life elsewhere, which almost certainly exists, but is most definitely not "proven" by finding more life on Earth.
 monalee1
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/20/2008 10:58:50 PM
written by the hands of people deeply submitted to the Spirit of God... the same Spirit highlights Truth while passing over the lies...what is unbelievable is that the same person who believes in God somehow decides that He lacks the Power to print one book... yes, life on earth does not prove other life or does it?? to assume that we are the only ones seems limiting and arrogant at the same time.....warmly Mona
 Mominatrix
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:01:16 AM

Because it gets by without oxygen, it could offer clues as to whether life exists on other planets.
This is sensationalist news generated by the scientific press. It serves it's purpose if it makes people think about science.

There are slews of bacteria that get by without oxygen. They are called "obligate anaerobes." Instead of using oxygen as the final acceptor in cellular respiration, they use a different glycolytic pathway to generate their ATP. It can be fermentation in some cases, but not in all cases. Prokaryotic anaerobes use a different electron transport system and an ATP synthase.

The microbial world is diverse and ubiquitous. There are extremophiles that need a chemically or physically extreme environment to survive.
Gives me hope there might be abundant life on Venus after all :)
Well, sure, there might be, but I might be very cautious about touching them. They could melt your skin.
 Jiperly
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2008 12:35:51 AM
>>>written by the hands of people deeply submitted to the Spirit of God...

You assuming that these people, who interpreted their feelings as a touch from God, interpreted both their feelings correctly and God correctly. As mentioned in another topic, there have been Millions of charlatans throughout the centuries claiming they have been blessed with the word of God- If I sat down and began a great spiritual journey and wrote down my lessons learned, would you worship it as you do the Bible? What makes those peoples interpretations, regardless if they are true or not, any more credible?

>>> God somehow decides that He lacks the Power to print one book

That doesn't make sense- God can have amphilbians fall from the sky- he can flood the entire world for half a year- he can raise the dead and see the future- but he is incapable of putting down, once and for all, his thoughts and beliefs in a book? Why does God need man to interpret his beliefs? And why does he stand by and let millions of people worship the wrong faith because of mere ignorance of the truth?

If God truly loved us, he'd stop playing head games and prevent us from being sent to hell for not following the one true belief, not because of lack of faith, but because of ignorance. You wish us to believe that God can do and is everything, but refuse to question why he cannot explain his grand beliefs without a vessel.

>>>yes, life on earth does not prove other life or does it??

I find an Eel in the Atlantic ocean- should I expect to find the same Eel in the Pacific? Am I somehow arrogant if I do not?

The OP is about a unusual life form, but doesn't even begin to explain how life begins- which would explain wither or not we are to find life on other planets.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Life on Other Planets? YES????