Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Is sex with a married but separated person adultry in most religions?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 1
Is sex with a married but separated person adultry in most religions?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I know this is a question that could be in another forum,but this is a religion forum and the question is of a religious nature.I hear many talk about being "christian" or having "Christian values" but who don't feel its wrong having an affair while married but separated.Is it Adultry?
 theBaroness
Msg: 2
Is sex with a married but separated person adultry in most religions?
Posted: 6/17/2005 9:49:58 AM
ALWAYS.

I'm a Catholic and people who are divorced are not even allowed to date until they get an annulment. That is when a marriage is declared a invalid. This would then free them up to pursue another relationship.

If an annulment is denied, then the person must remain single until their ex-spouse dies.

I'm in a relationship with a divorced man from this site. The thing is, his marriage was not valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church. That means he is free to pursue a relationship with me.

Furthermore, sex outside of marriage is a sin anyway. It called fornication. Sacred Scripture is clear about being pure sexually and refraining from fornicating.

Is it easy to be celibate? No. However, I love God more than I love sex. He gives me the grace to remain chaste. I intend to stay that way until my wedding night.

Sex before marriage complicates things and clouds our ability to see the other person for who they really are. When a conjugal relationship is established within it's appropriate context, it is fulfilling beyond our wildest dreams.

The conjugal act is the renewing of the covenant that is established during the wedding ceremony. When there is no covenant between two people the conjugal act is no longer conjugal but self-seeking and destructive.

God intended abstinence until marriage and then fidelity within marriage.

Pax Christi,

the Baroness
 Nibe
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/17/2005 9:53:02 AM
Only if you do it to hurt somebody in my christian beliefs.
 PBP
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/17/2005 10:05:01 AM
Annulment Huh?

you'll let the law judge over what you believe?

And a church allows this?

Oh my.....

PBP
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/17/2005 10:11:05 AM
Mr Marathon,

Hello,

Are or where you married at one time under God in a Church? Does God see you as Married?

Then Yes, even the thought of "wanting another woman" is a Sin.

When seperated it is also a sin. For in God's eye your married.

Divorce is something I am not clear on. but even so, I would think the married spouse would still be married till time of Death.

tim49250
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/17/2005 10:14:18 AM
Legally you might want to be careful about this. If something happens that causes the divorce to not go through then you could be dragged into court to testify, from what I understand.
 PBP
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/17/2005 10:19:40 AM
Secondly, I would like to respond to your question by suggesting that one prays about the situation. Prayer is our supply line to our Power Source (Jesus Christ). That doesn't mean that everything is going to be perfect as soon as you say "amen", but it does give you a peace that goes beyond human understanding.

Here's to happy faithful prayers,
 tim49250
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/17/2005 11:32:43 AM
God intended abstinence until marriage and then fidelity within marriage.

1. Matthew 19:12
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
Matthew 19:11-13 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)

Pax Christi, the Baroness I don't see how the two can be correct. My quote is from Matthews quoting Jesus. Is that not the final word?
 tim49250
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/17/2005 11:34:47 AM
PBP we agree.

but it does give you a peace that goes beyond human understanding.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/17/2005 5:54:07 PM
Adultry

Yes, she is still married. Don't get into deep your good and you must know, God is Almighty he will provide an Escape :) (hint)

I like that Pray....
We should all do alot more of it, for I see I'm lacking also:)
 theBaroness
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/17/2005 5:57:16 PM
Ummmmm

It's the Church who grants the annulment, my friend. ; )

Pax Christi,

the Baroness
 theBaroness
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/17/2005 5:59:23 PM

1. Matthew 19:12
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
Matthew 19:11-13 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)

Pax Christi, the Baroness I don't see how the two can be correct. My quote is from Matthews quoting Jesus. Is that not the final word?

I have no idea what you are trying to say and what your point is...

Pax Christi,

the Baroness
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/17/2005 6:11:39 PM

Ummmmm

It's the Church who grants the annulment, my friend. ; )

Pax Christi,

the Baroness

So how does a church who is to follow the Bible come up with something like this?

Marriage is a very important and sacred act which links men and women in holy matrimony. The bond of marriage is a very important connection, which should not be broken. "What God has joined together, no human being must separate" (Matthew 19:6). It's a promise you made to God!

The subject of Paul’s teaching in Ephesians 5:21-33 is that of submission in the context of marriage. Paul’s instructions here create a head-on collision with the beliefs and practices of our culture. Paul’s instructions are written off as the ranting of an ancient male chauvinist. It is one thing for the unbelieving world to reject Paul’s instructions; it is quite another for Christians to do so. And yet many Christians refuse to take Paul’s words seriously. Even some of those who profess to take the Scriptures on face value try to tip toe past passages such as the one we are studying, trying to avoid the stigma of professing and practicing its teaching.

Only a believer can live the way Peter instructs us to live. We can now be holy as God is holy because we are in Christ. We can fix our hope on the glory to be revealed at the return of our Lord because we have trusted in Him for salvation. We can love one another fervently because our souls have been purified in obedience to the truth.

Paul agrees, making it clear that it is impossible for an unbeliever to do those things which the Christian is commanded to do:

5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able [to do so]; 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. 10 And if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you. 12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh—13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:5-15).

The unbeliever sets his mind on the things of the flesh, not the things of the Spirit. As an unbeliever, he is hostile toward God and will not subject himself to God. An unbeliever cannot please God because they are only in the flesh. The Christian, however, has the Holy Spirit dwelling within him. The One who raised the dead body of the Lord Jesus to life is the One who can also make us alive to do what God requires.
 pef459
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/17/2005 8:22:13 AM
Wow, well said.

Pianochic7
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/17/2005 9:08:17 AM
While I agree with you that the subject in question is adultery and I also agree with you on abstinence. I adomently disagree with you (or the catholic church rather) on marriage and divorce. Jesus himself gives permission to divorce in situations of infidelity. I would therefore deem it unsinful to begin a relationship with a divorcee. Also, the catholic church does not have the right to deem a marraige valid or invalid simply b/c it did not take place in a catholic church. (I'm assuming that is what you meant about the guy you are seeing. Also since that is the only thing I've read/heard about catholicism and invalid marraiges) In my experience catholicism tends to play the part of God rather than God's followers in such issues. I believe any marriage "arranged" by and entered into with God (all inclusive,meaning the trinity) as its center is a completely valid marriage, religiously speaking. On the other hand, Jesus and others in the bible didn't differentiate between valid and invalid in cases of marriage and divorce. So why should we? Then you get into technicalities, politics and such which is not my agenda.
But kudos to you on your abistinence stand.
 Pianochic7
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/17/2005 9:14:15 AM
Kudos Dei Gratia

couldn't have said it better myself.
 pef459
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/17/2005 9:34:39 AM

Jesus himself gives permission to divorce in situations of infidelity.

Perhaps, I'd say though, he doesn't condone marrying someone else.

Mat 19:9

But I say unto you, that whosoever shall put away his wife, not for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery; and he who marries one put away commits adultery.
 Feral
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2005 10:43:00 AM
Sex with a person who is married to someone else. By the definitions, the married person having sex with someone who is not their spouse is committing adultery. The person who is not married but is having sex is only fornicating.

Dogmatically, they're both wrong. "Till death do us part." "...Let no man cleave asunder." "Speak _now_, or _forever_ hold your peace.." You know, stuff like that.

But, then I don't think people who are in love need the blessing of a church to be so. If they and their god are cool with it, forget the legalists. The point is dedication. If you're not going to be dedicated "for all time" or whatever, it's pretty stupid to get into a binding legal and social contract.
 EdwardVII
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/17/2005 5:38:19 PM
Yes, amongst the religions of the Book (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity). Lust is one of the 7 Deadly Sins (attention of Deadly).

Ed..
 oldsolyoungheart
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/17/2005 5:55:26 PM
I was waiting to see if anyone would mention Matt. 19. 9 Also I would like to point out that one of the ten commandments states that you shall not commit adultery. So the answer to your question is , yes , in most religions that believe in the bible it is considered adultery.
 Xenifide
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/17/2005 11:13:06 PM
I would agree with the majority. Yes it would be considered adultery according to the biblical laws/rules/regulations.
 tapestry44
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/18/2005 12:17:05 PM
According to the Bible, sex is reserved for marriage ONLY. GOD has given us an instruction manual. The Bible is our MAP through this journey of life. Every advise given in the Bible is
for our benefit. Can you just imagine all the problems in this world that could/would be eliminated, if we just lived according to those principals laid out in the Bible. Read it sometime.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/20/2005 1:40:29 PM
having an affair while married but separated.

I guess it depends exactly what set of beliefs you subscribe to.
There is the Legal & the Religious Policy perspective.
Even the Laws are different in some States and Countries, and thus all could not possibly be in compliance with the Standardly issued Scriptures, if any are even precise in this Manner.

Then there are the Biblical Interpretations, and the Interpretations of different Religious Splinter Groups ...

What Rule of Thumb should one go by?

Generally by the Mores & Policies of the Church one is a Member of, so as not to be in Conflict with your Congregation.

But then ... an Affair is yet an entirely different matter than a relationship which has the Intension to lead to Marriage.

These Type of Rules are broken routinely, where strong Love exists. Even if caught, its a Confession and a few "Hail Mary's" to the east, topping up the Collection Basket for a couple of Weeks, Singing in the Choir, or contributing in some other Form.

I doubt its cause to send anyone straight to H*ll.
I am sure the exalted one above would have a Sense of Justice and Importances ...
 billymarkham
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/20/2005 9:19:44 PM
what priest married Adam and Eve?... and what of their kids? ... how was it that they populated the world?....... incest?
I doubt that god, whatever you choose to call him, it, or her would pay much heed to the fashionable thing of the day.
If you don't feel like your doing an honourable thing just don't do it.
Far as I understand it god loves you and wants you to enjoy your life.
 Pianochic7
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/21/2005 6:53:28 AM
pef459- you are missing the key part of that verse........ "but I say unto you,that whosoever shall put away his wife, NOT FOR FORNICATION, and shall marry another, commits adultery;"

here is another translation

"I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, EXCEPT for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery" NIV

"And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. " KJV

And I tell you this, a man who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery--UNLESS his wife has been unfaithful." NLT

"And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, EXCEPT for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery." NKJV

I think i've made my point....they all say the same thing....4 different translations....

well.....5

"And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, EXCEPT for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery." RSV

www.blueletterbible.com
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Is sex with a married but separated person adultry in most religions?