Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > The art of telling a joke... so its funny.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 XHTML
Msg: 1
The art of telling a joke... so its funny.Page 1 of 1    
The art of telling a joke... so its funny.

Are you so skilled at telling a joke your audience usually laughs?

Many of us like to make our friends laugh by telling jokes when we see them, but some are unskilled at it. Some people confess they cannot remember jokes, or realize they've forgotten the punch line when they get to the end of the joke, or simply cannot deliver the joke so its funny.The audience patiently and at times painfully listens but the laugh never happens.

Me, I like to tell jokes but have mixed success. Some joke tellings have been quite successful but I've flubbed some too and at times I'm unsure why. Perhaps it was the joke or maybe my delivery of it. I'd certainly like to improve my telling of jokes when I gather with my friends, and no doubt there are many besides myself who share this desire.

I find that generally the jokes I've rehearsed go over better, but not always.

Over the years I've met some people who are quite skilled at telling jokes and hope there are some people here who might share some insights in the art of telling a joke so its funny.

I make the distinction between telling a joke and asking a riddle. Asking riddles take very little skill.

As there are lots of joke threads already I think it is important to say this thread isn't the place to post written jokes. It is about the art of delivering a joke with your voice.

Thank you
 Bellaâ„¢
Msg: 2
Posted: 10/23/2008 6:38:42 PM
More often than not, I hear a good joke and then I forget it.

Which is probably a good thing, 'cuz I really suck at telling them anyways.
 Gordasitgets
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 6:39:36 PM
Yeah, I find that my jokes go over a bit better in my videos when I go over them, and deliver them a bunch of different ways. Then I play them back and see which way sounds the best. Then stitch them all together for a video of a couple of minutes.
 *Splendid*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:02:14 PM
Ti ming
tim ing or is it timin g ?

it's all in the delivery......
 NotBroken
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:25:32 PM
Totally hit and miss for me. I have absolutely no skills as a joke teller ... may be in part because my sense of humour doesn't always jive with that of the joke-hearer.
 Anna.Molly
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:30:35 PM
I find a well rehearsed joke to come out sounding more like ... a well rehearsed joke. The more a joke is practiced, the more robotic it comes out. Maybe thats just me? I don't know.
But I don't rehearse any jokes I might tell... for the most part, what I say, comes into my head and out my lips in a matter of seconds. I've always been told I'm "quick with the one liners". I love making people laugh, and I laugh back/with/at myself quite easily, as well. Granted there are some jokes that might sound better with in-head practice, like ones that are over a sentence long... but most often than not, the funniest of jokes are those that slip out at perfect timing, and are fairly short.

And never explain a joke. If your audience didn't "get it" the first time, don't try explaining it... That'll just take away from any further chance you have at successfully pullin of a 'funny' =p
 Anna.Molly
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:41:04 PM
Oh, and in my opinion, telling a riddle in fact DOES require skill.

Would you rather hear a quick spoken riddle by someone who just stands there, hands in pocket, with a small smile?

OR

Someone who leans in, makes eye contact, throws in a few smirks and hand guestures, while capturing your attention with their eyes and voice control?

Just puttin' that out there =)
 Temptation50
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/23/2008 7:54:26 PM
There's some people that can never tell a joke well and probably should'nt.
There's some people's mere appearance can make or break a joke told well or not....
I'd have to say an infectious personality and good timing is the secret to any good comedic attempt.....
Anything less would toss one into the moron catagory.................
 You go first
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/23/2008 9:52:42 PM
We all know people who can crack us up talking about what they had for breakfast.
Engaging your listeners using story-telling skills is key - a good joke is like a little story.
Make eye contact, smile, speak clearly, use hand gestures, raise and lower your tone, get excited! Don't over-deliver the punchline!

If you can do public speaking - or engage children in a fairy tale - you can tell a joke.

The best jokes start off innocently enough and land with a triple half-gainer twist causing liquid to spew from the nose. These are the ones that just the punchlines will make you giggle for days.... "it's rude to talk with your mouth full....."...... etc......

For the love of God, please do NOT start a joke for which you don't remember the story. There is (almost) nothing worse than jokus interruptus - it frustrates the listener and makes you look like a ditz.

No charge.
 crashingchloe
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/23/2008 9:56:00 PM
What do you get when you cross a Snowman with a Dracula.....

Frostbiten....

And that dear folks is about as funny as I can tell them..they need to be short and sweet..heaven help if I had to remember anything longer or more complicated than that......I always find it amazing when I hit a comedy night club and the comedians are able to just speel it out all night long...yes rehersal is important to them, delivery etc...but I do believe one's own personality/character must be unique to be able to pull it off on a regular basis.

We are all meant to be something to someone, but we can't be everything to all....

CC
 Xavery
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/23/2008 10:06:02 PM
I suck at telling jokes and I am good at most things. I hate listening to people tell jokes because I am always afraid I won't get the punch line, which I usually have to think about due to the stress of it all. I don't tell rehearsed jokes because I am afraid of putting my listener through the same discomfort I experience when hearing scripted jokes.

I love to laugh but it needs to be spontaneous and I think these formulaic jokes suck and how can you say there is an art to them when they are all so contrived? .... just asking ... Cheers! Split your guts - lol ing or whatever it is you people do.
 Light Storm
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2008 10:36:26 PM
Sometimes I just stand there and smile because I have no idea what the hell is going on :)
 themaven
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/23/2008 10:45:06 PM
Timing and delivery really sum it up for the most part.

It isn't always what is said, it is how it is said.

As for not remembering really good jokes.......well there is an actual physical reason behind that. The more you laugh at a joke the less likely you are to remember it. Something about laughter, endorphins and memory. It was a really interesting article I read which really explains it all....I just can't quite remember all the clinical details.

not sure what causes one to forget clinical details....
 SeekingUmfoofoo
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/24/2008 12:28:00 AM
So a horse walks into the bar, the bartender looks up and says "why the long face?"

(*crickets chirping)

Yep, OP, you're right. It's all in the delivery. ;)
 Thatguy67
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 5:13:14 AM
A good joke plus delivery. If you notice, good comedians don't laugh at their own jokes while telling them or even after.
 XHTML
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/24/2008 7:40:15 AM
Gordasitgets ^^^

Yeah, I find that my jokes go over a bit better in my videos when I go over them, and deliver them a bunch of different ways. Then I play them back and see which way sounds the best. Then stitch them all together for a video of a couple of minutes.

Wow, now that's dedication! Perhaps your audience is different? Typically I tell jokes in person, audience of one or a small group of friends.

While I have all I need to make video recordings of my jokes I hadn't considered doing that. However your post gives me an idea. I'm now considering creating a video of me presenting a couple of my favourite jokes. I'd upload them to my youtube account and also upload them to my Imeem account and then I could include the jokes in the Imeem playlist of videos embedded in my POF profile.

==========
seraphim ^^^

I find a well rehearsed joke to come out sounding more like ... a well rehearsed joke. The more a joke is practiced, the more robotic it comes out. Maybe that's just me? I don't know.
But I don't rehearse any jokes I might tell... for the most part, what I say, comes into my head and out my lips in a matter of seconds. I've always been told I'm "quick with the one liners". I love making people laugh, and I laugh back/with/at myself quite easily, as well. Granted there are some jokes that might sound better with in-head practice, like ones that are over a sentence long... but most often than not, the funniest of jokes are those that slip out at perfect timing, and are fairly short.

While I have made my share of them, I wasn't referring to one-line quips of wit. I agree with you, quips cannot be practiced, they are spur of the moment.

I'm referring to jokes in this thread.

Joke: "an amusing story with a punch line.said to evoke laughter or amusement"

A good joke is usually several sentences and if any key part is omitted in the delivery it will fail, which is why rehearsing might help, as well as the timing noted by others.

I found that a good repertoire of jokes was useful to entertain guests when I used to operate a fishing charter service. When the fishing was slow and I'd run out of fish tales (all true of course) jokes helped to pass the time while waiting for a strike. One of my favourites came from a woman guest. So most of my rehearsing of jokes was live, same boat, same joke, different guest(s).

Oh, and in my opinion, telling a riddle in fact DOES require skill.

Riddle: "a mystifying, misleading, or puzzling question posed as a problem to be solved or guessed"

For example: What is broken when you name it? silence.

IMO the effectiveness of a riddle is more dependent on the content, not the delivery.

==========
themaven ^^^

As for not remembering really good jokes.......well there is an actual physical reason behind that. The more you laugh at a joke the less likely you are to remember it. Something about laughter, endorphins and memory. It was a really interesting article I read which really explains it all....I just can't quite remember all the clinical details.

Well that is interesting! Thanks for sharing that useful tidbit. If someone tells me a really good joke, one I wish to add to my repertoire, I'll make sure I have the essential details memorized before we part company.
 Light Storm
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2008 7:59:13 AM
So a horse walks into the bar, the bartender looks up and says "why the long face?"

(*crickets chirping)

Yep, OP, you're right. It's all in the delivery. ;)

Nope, after the delivery of that joke the crickets stood there and looked at you. They blinked a couple of times :)
 Phuqd
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/24/2008 8:50:08 AM
I agree that people who are good public speaking skills and and good story tellers are the best at telling at jokes.
The ability to "roll with it" is also very key. You can't just tell a joke that you know and expect people to laugh, you have to be able to add flavour and side commentary so that the joke is never the same twice. Being able to change the content of the joke so that it is more applicable to the audience, without changing the punchline is also a great way to get people more involved in the joke you are telling.
Facial expression, body language, tone of voice are all huge parts of it as well.
Think to when you hear a comedy skit on a cd or in mp3 for example and get a good laugh, but can WATCH the same skit and have tears in your eyes from laughing so hard.
Also, if you have a real winner, it never hurts to throw a few lame ones out there first, so that your ace-in-the-hole is that much better.
 punem264
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/27/2008 9:04:14 PM
What's 5Q plus 5Q?

TEN Q= (ANSWER) YOUR WELCOME. I AM SO FUNNY.
 *Splendid*
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 9:22:49 PM
how many stock brokers does it take to install a light bulb.........................

Two...... one to drop it while trying to install it.........

and the other to sell it before it crashes...................................
 ladylovebc
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 9:36:30 PM
I posted this in humor earlier but they're clearly not from around here and don't get it... if you're from B.C. I bet *you* do though!

One day, a curious fellow died and found himself waiting in the long line of judgment. As he stood there, he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the gates of Heaven. Others, though, were led over to Satan who threw them into the burning pit.

But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile. After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the best of him, so he strolled over and asked Satan.....

"Excuse me, Prince of Darkness," he said. "I'm waiting in line for judgment, but I couldn't help wondering, why are you tossing those people aside instead of flinging them into the fires of hell with the others?"

"Ah, those..." Satan said with a groan. "They're all from Vancouver... they're too wet to burn yet."

silibus
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/27/2008 10:13:19 PM
I once met a girl in Yorkville who was working there during the summer to pay for school. Her job? She wore a playcard that read, "Jokes, 25 cents." I watched this girl make nothing but money. She had quite a repetoir of jokes and every time she told one she was told two or three more for free while getting paid for telling her's. I was impressed. As for myself, I suc at telling jokes.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > The art of telling a joke... so its funny.