Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What kind of beef in vegetable soup?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Shortstuff15
Msg: 1
What kind of beef in vegetable soup?Page 1 of 1    
I want to make vegetable soup tomorrow. What kind of beef do you put in beef vegetable soup? Also what is the difference with beef boulian, beef stock and beef broth? Thanx a bunch!
 yabbdabbadoo
Msg: 2
What kind of beef in vegetable soup?
Posted: 10/30/2008 7:28:51 PM
A traditional stock would be made by simmering bones with some veggies and perhaps a little seasoning. I think that stock and broth are pretty much the same and boulion is a dehydrated broth.... just add water stuff like oxo cubes or beef-in-a-mug powder??? I am not really sure though. Maybe google them and see what it says.

If you will be simmering the soup for over an hour you could use a tougher cut of beef (stew beef, blade steak), if it is a quick soup I would use sirlion or something more tender. Either way I would cut to bite size and then braise(brown) it in a little oil at a medium high heat.
 CMonster
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2008 7:30:51 PM
You can do well by buying an lean but inexpensive pot roast and cutting it up yourself. Typically you can save money over buying pre cut stew beef.
 raxarsr
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2008 7:44:28 PM
use a nice chuck roast.......if you want to make your own stock......get several soup bones....roast them in a cake pan in the over at 350 for 45 min......then put everything from the pan..juices included in a stock pot cover with water and simmer for an hr...........remove thebones.........season to taste
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2008 8:49:50 AM
shrug...why would you put meat in a vegetable soup anyway?
To me a vegetable soup is vegetables, vegetable stock.... Maybe noodles or barley, but no meat.
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2008 7:26:26 PM
...The Vegetable Soup I was raised on ...was based on a tomato juice stock..with a ham bone/meat thrown in with it. It had everything the garden could offer, beans, corn, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, cabbage, Lima beans......the list included just about everything. It's still my favourite soup..
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2008 12:04:18 AM
Well, I think I know what catfishes is getting at...a beef and vegetable soup, or maybe just a vegetable soup with a beef stock or broth. First, I will state my understanding of broth, stock and bullion.

Broth - the rich juice made from simmering the particular object, beef and beef bones=beef broth, chicken and chicken bones=chicken broth, vegetables=vegetable broth, fish and fish fat and bones=fish broth, etc....

Stock - is basically fortified weak broth. It would have peppercorns, onions, carrots, parsnips, herbs, maybe even worcestershire etc.... into the broth for a more complex flavor, especially when there is a lack of the amount of meat and bones needed for the amount of liquid broth/stock to be rendered.

Bullion - dehydrated, mostly sodium/salt flavored stock.

Certain vegetables are known to enhance certain meat flavors, or rather mimic them. For instance, mushrooms can mimic a beef flavor. The combination of carrots, onion and parsley can mimic a chicken flavor. Supposedly soy and parsely can mimic a ham flavor. Stocks were, I believe, originally created out of lack. When there wasn't enough meat and meat bones to prepare a rich broth, the addition of vegetables, spices and herbs helped to create more of the flavor for large pots of soup at a time when even vegetables were few, but a little of everything could be pulled together. But stocks stayed around and found a place in the culinary scope of options and preferences.

I have no doubt that plenty can be found to both back up and refute what I have just written. There is a different story for every part of the globe and every teachers point of reference.

Now on what beef to use if making a beef broth/vegetable soup...I would use one of two...beef tongue, or chuck for sure. Chuck has fat and bones and a great flavor, but in my honest opinion tongue has the best flavor and meat and is cheaper. Pound for pound you get premium meat at a very low price and no other cut makes a broth as rich as the tongue and that is without bones. You need some additional cut bones if making a really good rich broth with any other cut. The marrow needs to be exposed and roasting them with some oil and herbs first is good.

With the tongue you get 3-4 pounds of the most tender buttery meat for about $5-$6. You do not even need to add herbs, salt, pepper or anything but water. A little salt and pepper at the most, if anything. Let it gently simmer for 5 hours, then peel off the outer skin and slice or cut any way you prefer. The broth is rich and unbelievably flavorful. The meat is never stringy, never tough, never dry. It is a no fuss, no brainer. You can't not get it perfect.

As far as vegetables for that soup, I am with Pupdaddy. Anything and everything from the garden. I find it especially wonderful with the lesser used vegetables like Jerusalem artichokes, kohlrabi and kale. Jerusalem artichokes are actually a North American vegetable. I don't think there is a bad vegetable for vegetable soup. The more the better and that includes herbs. I do sometimes like the addition of a little barley, too.
 Shortstuff15
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/1/2008 11:17:48 AM
Okay - I bought a chuck roast. I used a box of beef stock, cut up potatos, celery, carrots, onions and threw it all in the crock pot. When almost done, I will take out and cut the beef, chop it up and put it back in. If it turns out to be too much, bet it will be great for hot beef sandwiches.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/2/2008 5:03:17 AM
Beef shank...

Ask the butcher for soup bone.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > What kind of beef in vegetable soup?