Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > My dog pokes me with her nose....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Orzula
Msg: 1
My dog pokes me with her nose....Page 1 of 1    
Is this normal? lol

I've only had her about 2 months and she's gorgeous......my first dog still got a lot to learn. I would like to add I did all the research, prepared for her arrival and bought all the necessary bits and pieces.....but was not prepared for the nose poking....

Why does she do this? I know it's for attention but not sure why she chooses this method rather than standing in front of me (and tripping me over), barking, or jumping at me like a lunatic...

Opinions welcome from experienced dog owners (or anyone else for that matter)
 meoowzie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
My dog pokes me with her nose....
Posted: 11/9/2008 4:35:04 PM
yes, that is how they get the milk from their mother. so it is, i am sure, like sucking your thumb-a comfort method
 Orzula
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/9/2008 4:42:05 PM

yes, that is how they get the milk from their mother. so it is, i am sure, like sucking your thumb-a comfort method .

So is it the same as cats do with paddling? You know, when they feed from their mothers? My puppy does it so gently...almost just a slight nudge..that you would hardly notice it sometimes.

It makes me smile as she is so gentle...
 ih8tefrogstoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 4:42:46 PM
As with humans, all animals have their own little quirks and traits. You don't say how old your dog is, what breed, or when she chooses to poke you...but it certainly sounds like it is simply her way of saying, 'Hey there, look at me!' (My dog tends to stand in front of me and wag her tail, but if I am sitting she will constantly thrust her nose under my hand or arm and won't stop until I do acknowledge her...and she always does want something, whether it is to go for a walk or to go out to the bathroom, or to be fed, etc.

Dogs are wonderful creatures who can teach us a great deal about communicating without the spoken word.
 Orzula
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/9/2008 4:56:37 PM

As with humans, all animals have their own little quirks and traits. You don't say how old your dog is, what breed, or when she chooses to poke you...

She's a 5 month old Collie.

As I mentioned, it's my first dog....we've always had cats. I'm still getting used to the body language, no amount of studying prepares you for their 'quirks' as you put it....I agree, the same as humans, they all have their own personality.

She pokes me (usually) on the legs, ever so gently, and then sighs......I think it's just her way of saying, 'I'm here'....I get the impression (if she were human) that she wants just wants acknowledgement but I could be wrong.
 sweetness-one
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 5:02:31 PM
I don't know what breed of dog you have, OP, but I've always had Shepherds. And, they've all come up and poked me with their noses constantly as well. One of them, he had to touch absolutely EVERYTHING with his nose, not sure why. Shepherds have an amazing sense of smell, but their vision is generally poor, so maybe that's part of it (at least where the inanimate objects were concerned...he's always known it was me by smell from however many feet away, or even my car coming home every night, he can hear it long before I arrive, things like that). My current boy, comes up and pokes me with his nose when he's doing as Ih8tefrogstoo suggests, just saying "hey, pay attention to me!" Or at least, I think so, lol. MUCH better than when he was a pup, and would stalk me from his secret hiding places, and try to kamikaze me with a leap-attack onto my back!
 Orzula
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/9/2008 5:10:23 PM

MUCH better than when he was a pup, and would stalk me from his secret hiding places, and try to kamikaze me with a leap-attack onto my back! .

I really don't think it's to do with smell. I really think it's more of 'just acknowledge me' the same as a child would smile at you.....

I love her to bits....it took me a year to decide to get a dog and I don't regret it one bit...apart from her being a Collie and is constantly 'herding' our poor cats! They don't mind, they know she is still a baby and snuggle up with her in the evenings...awwwwww......
 junipermoon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 5:15:37 PM
their little noses have lots of nerve endings and it probably feels good to her.

my 9-year-old maine coon constantly rubs his nose all over my face when i try to sleep.
 Northern Lights
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 5:43:37 PM
Some dogs are just weird.

My husky does this, she pokes me with her nose too, and she's 6. She does it for attention. If she wants a pet or a rub behind the ears, she'll walk up to you and poke you with her nose, or she'll attempt to manipulate your arm so that it rests on her head, kind of a 'hint hint' thing. If you're sitting, she'll come up to you and stick her head under your arm and wiggle around until her head is in your lap and your arm is on her head lol.

I have a smaller dog who will just sit there and stare at me when he wants something (he's almost 4). If I ignore him -which I usually do, because he's so funny, he'll sit there and start barking at me... Like he's saying "hellooooooo... do you not see me?? I need something..." LOL

I have a cat, who when he hears you getting ice out of the ice maker, he literally bolts from where ever he is in the house and stands at the fridge and meows... he wants an ice cube.

Same cat will come up on my computer desk when I'm on the computer and lay right across my arms, or on the mouse, or on the keyboard... more attention getting tactics.

Both of my cats are crazy about the toilet. If they hear one flush (assuming of course, you can sneak into the bathroom without having them follow you and stare at you), they bolt to the bathroom, jump on the toilet and start playing with the water... my bathrooms are always wet. Heaven forbid a man try to take a piss in my house, both cats are on the toilet seat, literally, watching him. My son has peed on the cats a couple of times now as they'll come out of nowhere and jump on the toilet seat when he's taking a pee!

It's crazy antics like this that make us love our pets... I think every pet has some kind of endearing quirk.
 Orzula
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/9/2008 5:56:24 PM
[quote they bolt to the bathroom, jump on the toilet and start playing with the water... my bathrooms are always wet. ].

I had a husband that did that

No but seriously, isn't it so cute how they all have their own 'party tricks'......just to get the attention! Gotta love 'em!

At the moment my puppy's party trick is pretending she needs a wee, so I let her out, and really all she wants to do is grab another stone for her collection!

Fooled once, shame on them, fooled twice, shame on you. In my case it's fooled 576 times!
 meoowzie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 6:09:10 PM
my year-old maine coon cat is a head butter. she will hold her head hard on you. she loves it when i hold her face. sounds weird i know, but no harm comes from it.

i have heard that there are many nerves n the face (as with most animals and humans) when that area is stimulated ie: petting, head bumping, nuzzling, etc... it releases endorfense. makes 'um feel good.

i like me head rubbed too
 twister239
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/9/2008 8:30:25 PM
I put a little bell beside the door , when my dog has to go out ..he rings the bell. He also brings firewood into the house for me , one stick at a time...they love to learn and love to please . He gets to fall asleep nightly with me patting between his eyes and telling him "what a good boy my Charley is"....he knows he is loved .
 oscarz05
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 8:46:56 PM
the nose is the dogs main sensory organ so they use it a lot.

bumping can mean a variety of things. wanting attention, saying hello, a gentle rebuke, or just a general 'how you doing'. I had a wonderful chocolate lab who gave a deadly eye poke. I know she thought it was really funny.
 raxarsr
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 10:19:33 PM
yup........she wants attention........if its a steady poke poke poke after shes been petted...........she might want to go out.need water.etc.............lol..........we had a beagle/basset cross.........i swear if that dog had opposable thumbs and understood the concept of money....he woulda ruled the world...........he had a habit of going to the door to be let out.............only to steal your chair or spot on the couch when you got up to let him out..............he also LOVED getting his rump scratched.......obsessed over it to the point he could be eating...............simply touch his rump with 1 finger would freeze him.........he wouldnt move a muscle hoping to get scratched
 meoowzie
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 8:22:58 AM
i had a great dane. he loved to sit on your lap imagine a 130+ pound dog dothat.
i took him to school one day. it was when they were on break and we needed to get things done (not me but the teachers did) someone had wanted to see prince.

another teaher's son was there, bored, wanted to see the dog. kids either loved him or were afraid oh im.
lolol
prince wanted to sit on the boy, knocked the boy to the floor, and did. OH MY the boy's mom saw that big ol' dog sitting on her boy. she broke the 3 minute mile!!

the boy was just roling onthe floor laughing.
what a site to see

( no animals or humans were harmed or injured in this production)
 pazoozoo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 11:00:58 AM
I warn my dates not to turn their backs on my "little" girl. If she doesn't like someone, she pokes them pretty soundly with her nose right in the middle of their derierres. She weighs in at a hefty 235 lbs. so she can do some real damage.
 breath~
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/10/2008 12:17:17 PM
Some funny reading here!

Yep, my Australian Shepherd pokes me with her nose, too.

Her little joy is to roll over hoping to have her front leg 'arm pits' softly stroked.. ahh heaven for her.
 TenaciousJ.R.
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/10/2008 10:09:56 PM
I had two German Shepherds that would dig holes in my gravel driveway and find large rocks out in the field to fill them in with. It was quite a sight to watch the dogs rolling those stones with their noses. They started doing this after watching me and my now ex filling in the low spots in the driveway. I guess they thought they were helping. Up until one of them died, about once a month they would do this. They always found the right stone to put in the hole they dug, so they got a pat on the head and a treat. Animals have personalities just like us; who knows why they/we do weird things sometimes?

TOMic bomb
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/11/2009 7:30:54 PM
my shis tzu Ozzy Osbourne does this and it is his way of saying YES.

outside Ozzy? pokes me with his nose.

hungry Ozzy? pokes me with his nose.

go for a ride Ozzy? pokes me with his nose.

you love me Ozzy?pokes me with his nose.

if only i could find a woman who will poke me with her nose...............
 Got Trance
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 7:57:49 PM
I have a Pomeranian, she is 15 years old. She still nudges with her nose.
 SportyLady59
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2009 8:25:47 PM
I have three Shetland Sheepdogs - all nose pokers. I'm sure they do it for attention.
 xMissing
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2009 3:39:30 AM
I have a chihuahua who is going to be 5 this year. He does that and if we don't acknowledge him right away he begins to try and lift your hand/arm. It's just his way to get pet and attenion haha
Some of his other quirks is that he flicks his ball to you and throws it with his mouth. He is obssesed with bottle caps and likes to burry himself in blankets.
In time you will learn her signals and you will be the pet owners all dogs wish they had.
Love her and take advantage of her company!
Good luck and happy bonding!
 Lolita_2
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/14/2009 5:18:56 AM
My dog does this when he is beside me and wants a scratch, a tickle, some attention or what not. It is his way of letting me know he is there. It is just being playful and their way of communicating with you. It is nothing to be concerned about. I find it sweet.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > My dog pokes me with her nose....